18.04 has no support for my printer

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
45 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons
Hello Ubuntu Support

18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print. Your advice will be a huge relief.
Maybe I could restore files from 16.04 backup but have no idea which files I would need?

I have added some lines from the HP diagnose utility that may be helpful?

Self Diagnose Utility and Healing Utility ver. 1.0
HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.10)
warning: 12-18.04 version is not supported. 
Using 12-17.04 versions dependencies to verify and install...
Auto installation is not supported for 12 distro  18.04 version
Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
I assume the contents are OK?
Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
Plugins are not installed.
device_uri = "hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ"
working_dir = .
'CUPS Scheduler is running'
warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd ppd file
1Filter failed
warning: Insufficient permission to access file /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd
warning: Could not complete Queue(s) configuration check
No plug-in printers are configured.

OAuth2 (Google) email authentication in Evolution is also a problem but I may find an answer to that.

Thanks a lot for helping a retired end user.

-- 
Our preferred address is
[hidden email]
Mobile   +2783 588 0028
[hidden email]
 Mobile +2783 588 0028

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Charles,

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 20:22, Charles Irons <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Ubuntu Support

18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print. Your advice will be a huge relief.
Maybe I could restore files from 16.04 backup but have no idea which files I would need?

I am not a printer expert, but I have some experience in this area. I have an HP LaserJet.

In order to get my LaserJet working with 18.04, I had to use the command line:-

1. Install some support packages:-
sudo apt install python3-pyqt4 python3-pyqt5
(At that point I would reboot).

2. Again, at the command line:-
sudo hp-setup

3. Use something to try and print. Use Simple Scan to scan a test image.

(One of the advantages to running hp-setup at the command line is you get to see what could be very revealing error messages).

HTH,


Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Brian-2
In reply to this post by Charles Irons
On Mon 15 Oct 2018 at 21:19:55 +0200, Charles Irons wrote:

> Hello Ubuntu Support
>
> 18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print. Your advice will be
> a huge relief.
> Maybe I could restore files from 16.04 backup but have no idea which files
> I would need?
>
> I have added some lines from the HP diagnose utility that may be helpful?
>
> Self Diagnose Utility and Healing Utility ver. 1.0
> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.10)
> warning: 12-18.04 version is not supported.
> Using 12-17.04 versions dependencies to verify and install...
> Auto installation is not supported for 12 distro  18.04 version
> Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
> I assume the contents are OK?
> Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
> Plugins are not installed.
> device_uri = "hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ"
> working_dir = .
> 'CUPS Scheduler is running'
> warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd ppd file
> 1Filter failed
> warning: Insufficient permission to access file
> /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd
> warning: Could not complete Queue(s) configuration check
> No plug-in printers are configured.
>
> OAuth2 (Google) email authentication in Evolution is also a problem but I
> may find an answer to that.
>
> Thanks a lot for helping a retired end user.

You do not say which printer you are using but it can be deduced from
your mail.

The URI for the printer is

  hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ

(Check this with 'lpinfo -v').

Now do

 lpinfo -m | grep "deskjet_1510_series.ppd"

to get the PPD (drv:///hpcups.....).

Then:

 lpadmin -p test -v <URI> -E -m <PPD>

Print with

 lp -d test /etc/nsswitch.conf

How's that?

--
Brian.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Peter Flynn
In reply to this post by Charles Irons
On 15/10/18 20:19, Charles Irons wrote:
> 18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print.

ALL distros suffer from significant printer-driver incompatibilities
using CUPS.

> Maybe I could restore files from 16.04 backup but have no idea which
> files I would need?

Usually only one: an actual working driver spec for your printer, which
is a PPD file (ends in .ppd and usually named after the printer). With
CUPS installed, do a manual new-printer setup, and where it asks you to
select the driver, give the PPD file location in the file selector.

> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.10)

I'm using 3.17.11 — sometimes just a minor version can make all the
difference. I see the current version is 3.18.9 so I *strongly* suggest
you download it from the hplip site and try it.

> warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd ppd file

That's the one it's looking for. Sometimes the CUPS that comes with
distros simply omits a driver. I always use a fresh hplip to install.

///Peter

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Robert Heller
In reply to this post by Ian Bruntlett
At Mon, 15 Oct 2018 20:46:29 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
> Hi Charles,
>
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 20:22, Charles Irons <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Ubuntu Support
> >
> > 18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print. Your advice will be
> > a huge relief.
> > Maybe I could restore files from 16.04 backup but have no idea which files
> > I would need?
> >
>
> I am not a printer expert, but I have some experience in this area. I have
> an HP LaserJet.
>
> In order to get my LaserJet working with 18.04, I had to use the command
> line:-
>
> 1. Install some support packages:-
> sudo apt install python3-pyqt4 python3-pyqt5
> (At that point I would reboot).

Why?  Unless you are installing a new kernel (or possibly a new glibc) there
generally isn't any reason to reboot a *Linux* machine after installing
packages.

>
> 2. Again, at the command line:-
> sudo hp-setup
>
> 3. Use something to try and print. Use Simple Scan to scan a test image.
>
> (One of the advantages to running hp-setup at the command line is you get
> to see what could be very revealing error messages).
>
> HTH,
>
>
> Ian
>

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                                                                                                 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Brian-2
On Mon 15 Oct 2018 at 17:34:02 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> At Mon, 15 Oct 2018 20:46:29 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 20:22, Charles Irons <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Ubuntu Support
> > >
> > > 18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print. Your advice will be
> > > a huge relief.
> > > Maybe I could restore files from 16.04 backup but have no idea which files
> > > I would need?
> > >
> >
> > I am not a printer expert, but I have some experience in this area. I have
> > an HP LaserJet.
> >
> > In order to get my LaserJet working with 18.04, I had to use the command
> > line:-
> >
> > 1. Install some support packages:-
> > sudo apt install python3-pyqt4 python3-pyqt5
> > (At that point I would reboot).
>
> Why?  Unless you are installing a new kernel (or possibly a new glibc) there
> generally isn't any reason to reboot a *Linux* machine after installing
> packages.

A reboot is required to replace a running dbus-daemon.

Not that it has the slightest connection with a printing problem.

> > 2. Again, at the command line:-
> > sudo hp-setup
> >
> > 3. Use something to try and print. Use Simple Scan to scan a test image.

Simple Scan? What does scanning have to do with printing? They are
two different processes.

> > (One of the advantages to running hp-setup at the command line is you get
> > to see what could be very revealing error messages).

Whowee.

--
Brian.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Brian-2
In reply to this post by Peter Flynn
On Mon 15 Oct 2018 at 22:06:44 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 15/10/18 20:19, Charles Irons wrote:
> > 18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print.
>
> ALL distros suffer from significant printer-driver incompatibilities
> using CUPS.

Significant? Really? Examples, please.

> > Maybe I could restore files from 16.04 backup but have no idea which
> > files I would need?
>
> Usually only one: an actual working driver spec for your printer, which
> is a PPD file (ends in .ppd and usually named after the printer). With
> CUPS installed, do a manual new-printer setup, and where it asks you to
> select the driver, give the PPD file location in the file selector.
>
> > HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.10)
>
> I'm using 3.17.11 — sometimes just a minor version can make all the
> difference. I see the current version is 3.18.9 so I *strongly* suggest
> you download it from the hplip site and try it.

The 1510 has been supported since hplip 3.13.8. I very much doubt 3.18.9
from the hplip site would make any difference. The hpcups driver is
hardly likely to to have changed in any significant way.

> > warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd ppd file
>
> That's the one it's looking for. Sometimes the CUPS that comes with
> distros simply omits a driver. I always use a fresh hplip to install.

Whatever you think that iwarning means (and you do not say) - it does
not mean what you think it means. Your interpretation is about as far
from reality as it is possible to get.

CUPS (do you really mean CUPS?) has very few drivers and is not likely
to omit any.

--
Brian.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Peter Flynn
On 16/10/18 00:01, Brian wrote:
> On Mon 15 Oct 2018 at 22:06:44 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
[...]
>> ALL distros suffer from significant printer-driver
>> incompatibilities using CUPS.
>
> Significant? Really? Examples, please.

I'd have to go back and work them out, but basically every printer I
have installed for the last decade has had at least one facility missing
or buggy when used through the CUPS in whatever distro I was using at
the time. When used via Windows or via the more up-to-date CUPS in a
Mac, the facilities all worked. The most common inabilities were the
handling of double-sided printing, the size/scale controls, and the
naming and data for different paper sizes.

Installing hplip afresh each time does seem to fix things.

> The 1510 has been supported since hplip 3.13.8. I very much doubt
> 3.18.9 from the hplip site would make any difference. The hpcups
> driver is hardly likely to to have changed in any significant way.

That has not been my experience :-)

>
>>> warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd ppd file
>>
>> That's the one it's looking for. Sometimes the CUPS that comes with
>> distros simply omits a driver. I always use a fresh hplip to install.
>
> Whatever you think that iwarning means (and you do not say) - it does
> not mean what you think it means. Your interpretation is about as far
> from reality as it is possible to get.

I interpret the error message to mean that it can't find the PPD file it
was looking for: /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd

If it means something else then I have misunderstood the message.

> CUPS (do you really mean CUPS?) has very few driver+++s and is not likely
> to omit any.

I have always assumed that CUPS is shipped with a large number of PPD
files. These appear to be the "drivers" that it lists in the very long
per-manufacturer selection list when installing a new printer. If not,
then I don't know where it gets them from.

///Peter


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Brian-2
On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 00:20:35 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 16/10/18 00:01, Brian wrote:
> > On Mon 15 Oct 2018 at 22:06:44 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:

[...]
 

> >>> warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd ppd file
> >>
> >> That's the one it's looking for. Sometimes the CUPS that comes with
> >> distros simply omits a driver. I always use a fresh hplip to install.
> >
> > Whatever you think that iwarning means (and you do not say) - it does
> > not mean what you think it means. Your interpretation is about as far
> > from reality as it is possible to get.
>
> I interpret the error message to mean that it can't find the PPD file it
> was looking for: /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd
>
> If it means something else then I have misunderstood the message.

It is to do with permissions. On my machine:

brian@desktop:~$ ls -l /etc/cups/ppd/
total 144
-rw-r----- 1 root lp 24362 Sep 11 16:19 LaserJet-300.ppd
-rw-r----- 1 root lp 22243 Jan 26  2018 PDF.ppd
-rw-r----- 1 root lp 22243 Sep 10 23:51 realq.ppd
-rw-r----- 1 root lp 22243 Aug 12 18:44 realq.ppd.O

> > CUPS (do you really mean CUPS?) has very few driver+++s and is not likely
> > to omit any.
>
> I have always assumed that CUPS is shipped with a large number of PPD
> files. These appear to be the "drivers" that it lists in the very long
> per-manufacturer selection list when installing a new printer. If not,
> then I don't know where it gets them from.

"CUPS" is often used as shorthand for "printing system", which is a
collection of software from different sources. On occasion this is
not very helpful. I would take CUPS to be the software at cups.org.

As far as the drivers it provides:

# /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-driverd dump | grep sample | wc -l
15

/usr/share/cups/drv/sample.drv is in the cups-common package.

Many other drivers can indeed be listed by the web interface - but
they are not shipped by CUPS.

--
Brian.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Charles Irons
On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 21:22, Charles Irons <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Ubuntu Support

You know we're just a bunch of other users who try to help each other,
right? :-)

> 18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print. Your advice will be a huge relief.

You did not specify what printer you have, but it's in the log file
clipping that you posted.

An HP Deskjet 1510 series -- is that right?

My suggestions would be:

[1] Try just deleting the printer, unplugging it, rebooting the
computer, and plugging it in again. Ideally to a different port.
Ubuntu should add a new instance and you might find that works fine.

[2] If not, you can download the latest HP-LIP printer drivers and install them.

As before, delete the printer *first*.

HPLIP 3.18 is current. You have 3.17.

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/gethplip

Pick "Ubuntu" from the list and click the "download" button. Follow
the instructions.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons
In reply to this post by Brian-2

On Mon, 2018-10-15 at 20:56 +0100, Brian wrote:
On Mon 15 Oct 2018 at 21:19:55 +0200, Charles Irons wrote:

Hello Ubuntu Support

18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print. Your advice will be
a huge relief.
Maybe I could restore files from 16.04 backup but have no idea which files
I would need?

I have added some lines from the HP diagnose utility that may be helpful?

Self Diagnose Utility and Healing Utility ver. 1.0
HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.10)
warning: 12-18.04 version is not supported.
Using 12-17.04 versions dependencies to verify and install...
Auto installation is not supported for 12 distro  18.04 version
Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
I assume the contents are OK?
Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
Plugins are not installed.
device_uri = "hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ"
working_dir = .
'CUPS Scheduler is running'
warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd ppd file
1Filter failed
warning: Insufficient permission to access file
/etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd
warning: Could not complete Queue(s) configuration check
No plug-in printers are configured.

OAuth2 (Google) email authentication in Evolution is also a problem but I
may find an answer to that.

Thanks a lot for helping a retired end user.

You do not say which printer you are using but it can be deduced from
your mail.

The URI for the printer is

  hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ

(Check this with 'lpinfo -v').

Now do

 lpinfo -m | grep "deskjet_1510_series.ppd"

to get the PPD (drv:///hpcups.....).

Then:

 lpadmin -p test -v <URI> -E -m <PPD>

Print with 

 lp -d test /etc/nsswitch.conf

How's that?

-- 
Brian.

Hello Brian

I did several commands you gave me with these results:

[hidden email]:~$ ls -l /etc/cups/ppd/
total 64
-rw-r----- 1 root lp 17248 Oct 15 16:11 Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd
-rw-r----- 1 root lp 17248 Oct 15 15:30 HP-Deskjet-1510-series.ppd
-rw-r----- 1 root lp 22858 Oct 15 15:25 HP-Deskjet-1510-series.ppd.O
[hidden email]:~$ lpinfo -v
network beh
file cups-brf:/
network ipp
network https
network ipps
network http
network socket
network lpd
direct hp
direct hpfax
network smb
[hidden email]:~$ lpinfo -m | grep "deskjet_1510_series.ppd"
drv:///hp/hpcups.drv/hp-deskjet_1510_series.ppd HP Deskjet 1510 Series, hpcups 3.17.10
drv:///hpcups.drv/hp-deskjet_1510_series.ppd HP Deskjet 1510 Series, hpcups 3.17.10
[hidden email]:~$ 

So if that looks OK to you, I will go on with your commands:
Then:

 lpadmin -p test -v <URI> -E -m <PPD>

Print with 

 lp -d test /etc/nsswitch.conf

Thanks again for your knowledge. It is way beyond my expertise.
-- 
Our preferred address is
[hidden email]
Mobile   +2783 588 0028





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Peter Flynn
In reply to this post by Brian-2
On 16/10/18 08:48, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 00:20:35 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
[...]
>> If it means something else then I have misunderstood the message.
>
> It is to do with permissions.

OK.

> "CUPS" is often used as shorthand for "printing system", which is a
> collection of software from different sources. On occasion this is
> not very helpful. I would take CUPS to be the software at cups.org.

I take it to be the packages called 'cups*' in my current Ubuntu distro.

> As far as the drivers it provides:
>
> # /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-driverd dump | grep sample | wc -l
> 15

That is presumably just the ones that were installed.

> Many other drivers can indeed be listed by the web interface - but
> they are not shipped by CUPS.

OK, so it must be getting them in real time from a server somewhere.

These are the ones that are listed if I browse to localhost:631 and
click on Administration and go through the process and it eventually
lets you pick the make of printer (from Alps to Zebra) and for each one
it lists all the printers it knows about (for HP there are 3000 listed,
although many are alternative versions, eg 3.16.3 and 3.17.11, but it
includes three for the DeskJet 1510).

Thanks for clearing up my misinterpretation.

///Peter

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Brian-2
In reply to this post by Charles Irons
On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 12:06:24 +0200, Charles Irons wrote:

> Hello Brian

Hello Charles,

I've done a bit of tidying up of your post to make its content a little
more accessible.

> I did several commands you gave me with these results:
> chas@Charles-PC:~$ ls -l /etc/cups/ppd/
> total 64
> -rw-r----- 1 root lp 17248 Oct 15 16:11 Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd
> -rw-r----- 1 root lp 17248 Oct 15 15:30 HP-Deskjet-1510-series.ppd
> -rw-r----- 1 root lp 22858 Oct 15 15:25 HP-Deskjet-1510-series.ppd.O

This fine. It looks like you are using the same PPD for Deskjet_1510_1804
and HP-Deskjet-1510-series. This is not a problem for what we are doing
here. If necessary, it can dealt with later.

> chas@Charles-PC:~$ lpinfo -v
> network beh
> file cups-brf:/
> network ipp
> network https
> network ipps
> network http
> network socket
> network lpd
> direct hp
> direct hpfax
> network smb

There *is* a problem here. There should be a line begining

direct usb://.....

and direct hp should be

direct hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ

> chas@Charles-PC:~$ lpinfo -m | grep "deskjet_1510_series.ppd"
> drv:///hp/hpcups.drv/hp-deskjet_1510_series.ppd HP Deskjet 1510 Series, hpcups 3.17.10
> drv:///hpcups.drv/hp-deskjet_1510_series.ppd HP Deskjet 1510 Series, hpcups 3.17.10

chas@Charles-PC:~$

> So if that looks OK to you, I will go on with your commands:
> > Then:
> >  lpadmin -p test -v <URI> -E -m <PPD>
> > Print with
> >  lp -d test /etc/nsswitch.conf

You have to sort out lpinfo -v first. Is the printer powered on, plugged
into a USB port and recognised (use 'lsusb' for that) by the system?

--
Brian.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Brian-2
In reply to this post by Peter Flynn
On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 12:45:05 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 16/10/18 08:48, Brian wrote:
> > On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 00:20:35 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> [...]
> >> If it means something else then I have misunderstood the message.
> >
> > It is to do with permissions.
>
> OK.
>
> > "CUPS" is often used as shorthand for "printing system", which is a
> > collection of software from different sources. On occasion this is
> > not very helpful. I would take CUPS to be the software at cups.org.
>
> I take it to be the packages called 'cups*' in my current Ubuntu distro.

Your list would include cups-filters, cups-pdf and cups-tea4cups. All
are non-CUPS projects and not supported at cups.org.
 
> > As far as the drivers it provides:
> >
> > # /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-driverd dump | grep sample | wc -l
> > 15
>
> That is presumably just the ones that were installed.

15 is the total number of drivers (PPDs) installed by CUPS. cups-filters
will install more (but not many) because the cups  package depends on
it.

> > Many other drivers can indeed be listed by the web interface - but
> > they are not shipped by CUPS.
>
> OK, so it must be getting them in real time from a server somewhere.

They are installed on the system by the printer-driver-* packages.

> These are the ones that are listed if I browse to localhost:631 and
> click on Administration and go through the process and it eventually
> lets you pick the make of printer (from Alps to Zebra) and for each one
> it lists all the printers it knows about (for HP there are 3000 listed,
> although many are alternative versions, eg 3.16.3 and 3.17.11, but it
> includes three for the DeskJet 1510).

When that page is accessed cups-driverd forms the list from *.drv files
and other sources such as /usr/share/ppd.

--
Brian.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons
In reply to this post by Liam Proven

On Tue, 2018-10-16 at 12:05 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 21:22, Charles Irons <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ubuntu Support

You know we're just a bunch of other users who try to help each other,
right? :-)

18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print. Your advice will be a huge relief.

You did not specify what printer you have, but it's in the log file
clipping that you posted.

An HP Deskjet 1510 series -- is that right?

My suggestions would be:

[1] Try just deleting the printer, unplugging it, rebooting the
computer, and plugging it in again. Ideally to a different port.
Ubuntu should add a new instance and you might find that works fine.

[2] If not, you can download the latest HP-LIP printer drivers and install them.

As before, delete the printer *first*.

HPLIP 3.18 is current. You have 3.17.

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/gethplip

Pick "Ubuntu" from the list and click the "download" button. Follow
the instructions.

-- 
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Hello Liam

After installing HP-Lip 3.18.9 that downloaded about 400 MB and took an hour or so I got no printing.
So used HP Device Manager to diagnose the driver with this result right at the end:

Checking for Configured Queues....
warning: Fail to read ppd=/etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd file
warning: Insufficient permission to access file /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd
warning: Could not complete Queue(s) configuration check

Now how do I change permission for the .ppd file? Or copy it elsewhere?

I know this can be fixed. I just don't know how myself.

Thanks. Have fun. Chas
-- 
Our preferred address is
[hidden email]
Mobile   +2783 588 0028

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Ubuntu mailing list
Hi,

I didn't follow this thread, so I don't know if this is relevant:

https://www.google.de/search?ei=&q=ubuntu+printer+group
  https://askubuntu.com/questions/168825/what-permission-do-i-need-to-add-an-hp-printer-with-hp-setup

https://www.google.de/search?&q=ubuntu+group+lp
  https://askubuntu.com/questions/219083/default-groups-for-user-in-ubuntu

sudo gpasswd -a $USER lp
sudo gpasswd -a $USER lpadmin
logout and login
sudo hp-setup

For better printing quality you might want to take a look at gutenprint.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Charles Irons
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 16:26, Charles Irons <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> After installing HP-Lip 3.18.9 that downloaded about 400 MB and took an hour or so I got no printing.

Gosh -- that's slow. Where in the world are you?

> So used HP Device Manager to diagnose the driver

Good step, I think.

> with this result right at the end:
>
>
> warning: Insufficient permission to access file /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd

OK. Helpful but not as helpful as it could be!

> Now how do I change permission for the .ppd file? Or copy it elsewhere?

Well first let's see what the permissions *are*.

If you issue this command in a terminal:

ls -la /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd

Note, capitals are important! You may be able to tab-complete it --
type 2-3 letters of each bit (between slashes) and then press the Tab
key and Ubuntu should autocomplete it for you. If it beeps, type
another letter or 2 and try again.

Then paste the result, so we know what the permissions are.



--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Brian-2
On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 18:42:00 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 16:26, Charles Irons <[hidden email]> wrote:

[Snip]

> > Now how do I change permission for the .ppd file? Or copy it elsewhere?
>
> Well first let's see what the permissions *are*.
>
> If you issue this command in a terminal:
>
> ls -la /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd
>
> Note, capitals are important! You may be able to tab-complete it --
> type 2-3 letters of each bit (between slashes) and then press the Tab
> key and Ubuntu should autocomplete it for you. If it beeps, type
> another letter or 2 and try again.
>
> Then paste the result, so we know what the permissions are.

We already know. They are in another post in this thread.

--
Brian.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Liam Proven
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 18:49, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We already know. They are in another post in this thread.

Ah, good catch. Sorry, I had missed that.

OK, they look correct.

So, the alternative issue is that Charles' user is not in the correct
group as apparently the group permissions aren't enough.

Charles -- what is your login name on this machine?

For instance, if it's "charles" then try this:

sudo usermod -a -G lp charles

Then reboot and try again.

Solution from here:

https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/485232




--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Brian-2
On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 18:57:55 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 18:49, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > We already know. They are in another post in this thread.
>
> Ah, good catch. Sorry, I had missed that.
>
> OK, they look correct.

They *are* correct. That is, they are what upstream intends them to be
and what Debian and Ubuntu fits in with.

> So, the alternative issue is that Charles' user is not in the correct
> group as apparently the group permissions aren't enough.
>
> Charles -- what is your login name on this machine?
>
> For instance, if it's "charles" then try this:
>
> sudo usermod -a -G lp charles
>
> Then reboot and try again.

Log off and log in again, surely?
>
> Solution from here:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/485232

User charles now has permission to read the files I send to the printing
system. /etc/cups/cups-files has the option ConfigFilePerm for this
situation. I wouldn't alter it for security reasons, but it is there.

In any case, what Charles Irons got was a warning. It can be ignored. I
doubt it has anything to do with his inability to install version 3.18.9
of HPLIP (which shouldn't be needed, anyway).

--
Brian.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
123