4% battery; dpesn't suspend

Dave Mitchell
F27. I ran a new laptop battery down to 4% (as claimed by gnome) and my
laptop didn't auto-suspend, nor hibernate.

In settings / power, the only option for battery power these days seems to
be to automatically suspend after a set time period; not at a certain
battery level.

So

a) did I imagine it that earlier fedoras used to have this feature?
b) any way I can enable auto-suspect on low battery for F27?

--
print+qq&$}$"$/$s$,$a$d$g$s$@$.$q$,$:$.$q$^$,$@$a$~$;$.$q$m&if+map{m,^\d{0\,},,${$::{$'}}=chr($"+=$&||1)}q&10m22,42}6:17a2~2.3@3;^2dg3q/s"&=~m*\d\*.*g

Re: 4% battery; dpesn't suspend

Samuel Sieb
On 04/16/2018 12:41 AM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> F27. I ran a new laptop battery down to 4% (as claimed by gnome) and my
> laptop didn't auto-suspend, nor hibernate.

I was very surprised a few days ago when I left my laptop unplugged and
came back to find it powered off.  I was expecting that it had just died
and I would have to restart everything again.  But when I turned it on,
everything was there.  I wasn't paying attention since I was expecting
to have to wait for it to boot, so I don't know if it hibernated or
suspended.

> a) did I imagine it that earlier fedoras used to have this feature?

It used to.  I searched in dconf and found a setting for that, but it is
labelled as "no schema found".

> b) any way I can enable auto-suspect on low battery for F27?

Somehow it suddenly started working for me, but I have no idea what
triggered it.

Re: 4% battery; dpesn't suspend

Fedora mailing list
On 16/04/18 08:41, Dave Mitchell wrote:

> F27. I ran a new laptop battery down to 4% (as claimed by gnome) and my
> laptop didn't auto-suspend, nor hibernate.
>
> In settings / power, the only option for battery power these days seems to
> be to automatically suspend after a set time period; not at a certain
> battery level.
>
> So
>
> a) did I imagine it that earlier fedoras used to have this feature?
> b) any way I can enable auto-suspect on low battery for F27?

Take a look at an earlier question I asked, 'Power settings wrong or
battery dying', particularly the answers from Robbi Nespu.

Might help you

Re: 4% battery; dpesn't suspend

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 08:41:56 +0100
Dave Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> F27. I ran a new laptop battery down to 4% (as claimed by gnome) and my
> laptop didn't auto-suspend, nor hibernate.

  I'm not that familiar with power settings on Fedora (having F26 here).
But a look at upower.service might be useful - mine is disabled:

% systemctl status upower.service
● upower.service - Daemon for power management
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/upower.service; disabled; vendor pres
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2018-04-17 03:11:58 CEST; 10h ago
     Docs: man:upowerd(8)
 Main PID: 2562 (upowerd)
    Tasks: 3 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/upower.service
           └─2562 /usr/libexec/upowerd

> In settings / power, the only option for battery power these days seems to
> be to automatically suspend after a set time period; not at a certain
> battery level.

  'Suspend' doesn't seem to be supported as an action for low battery
level on Gnome ...

  But here, on F26: in
/etc/UPower/UPower.conf
I have a config option to set action (again: no suspend) according to
a battery percentage level. Excerpt:

UsePercentageForPolicy=true

# When UsePercentageForPolicy is true, the levels at which UPower will
# consider the battery low, critical, or take action for the critical
# battery level.
#
# This will also be used for batteries which don't have time information
# such as that of peripherals.
#
# If any value is invalid, or not in descending order, the defaults
# will be used.
#
# Defaults:
# PercentageLow=10
# PercentageCritical=3
# PercentageAction=2
PercentageLow=10
PercentageCritical=3
PercentageAction=2

  Trying 'upower -d' here results in the display of current power
settings ...

  HTH,
Wolfgang

Re: 4% battery; dpesn't suspend

Samuel Sieb
On 04/17/2018 04:55 AM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
>    Trying 'upower -d' here results in the display of current power
> settings ...

So that's why mine works.  The output includes this line:
critical-action: HybridSleep

I do wonder what starts it up.  The service is disabled although the
default is enabled and I didn't manually start it.

Re: 4% battery; dpesn't suspend

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 10:53:09 -0700
Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/17/2018 04:55 AM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> >    Trying 'upower -d' here results in the display of current power
> > settings ...
>
> So that's why mine works.  The output includes this line:
> critical-action: HybridSleep
>
> I do wonder what starts it up.  The service is disabled although the
> default is enabled and I didn't manually start it.

I'm getting curious about your settings, if that's not too intrusive:
mine are, with comments removed:

----------------------------------------------------->
% grep -v '^#'  /etc/UPower/UPower.conf

[UPower]

EnableWattsUpPro=false

NoPollBatteries=false

IgnoreLid=false

UsePercentageForPolicy=true

PercentageLow=10
PercentageCritical=3
PercentageAction=2

TimeLow=1200
TimeCritical=300
TimeAction=120

CriticalPowerAction=HybridSleep
<------------------------------------------

IIRC when the battery was 0  a few days ago, the battery LED  (here: the
Power On/Off button) started blinking fast, but no sleep was started.
Weird ...

The documentation for upower seems technichally to be missing on F26 -
so I have to guess whether Time{Low,Critical,Action} values actually
mean minutes or seconds ...

Archlinux has some documentation:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management#Hybrid_sleep

And that looks really interesting:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/admin-guide/pm/sleep-states.rst

This latter page - after a glance on it - seems to suggest that sleep
modes are organized by the kernel, via three files. Here, they look
like so:
--------------->
% cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
s2idle [deep]
% cat /sys/power/state
freeze mem disk
% cat /sys/power/disk
[platform] shutdown reboot suspend test_resume
<--------------

HTH,
Wolfgang

Re: 4% battery; dpesn't suspend

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 22:26:22 +0200
Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And that looks really interesting:
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/admin-guide/pm/sleep-states.rst

Forgot that one:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/swsusp.txt