A (possibly dumb) question about unbound

A (possibly dumb) question about unbound

Bryan Everly
Hi @misc,

I recently installed my first FreeBSD server and was really surprised
at their on disk directory layout.  I guess I've been spoiled by
OpenBSD being so consistent in terms of where things go.

Which brings me to my question...

Could someone educate me on why unbound's configuration file is in
/var/unbound/etc instead of just straight up /etc like most other
things?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I was curious.

Thanks,
Bryan

Re: A (possibly dumb) question about unbound

Pavel Korovin
Because it runs chrooted to /var/unbound

--
With best regards,
Pavel Korovin

Re: A (possibly dumb) question about unbound

Mark Carroll
On 12 Oct 2016, Bryan C. Everly wrote:

> Could someone educate me on why unbound's configuration file is in
> /var/unbound/etc instead of just straight up /etc like most other
> things?

Like nsd, for security unbound can run within a chroot so it then does
not have access to anything outside /var/unbound - so everything it
needs is kept within that one place.

-- Mark

Re: A (possibly dumb) question about unbound

Bryan Everly
Cool thanks all!

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016, Mark Carroll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 Oct 2016, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
>
> > Could someone educate me on why unbound's configuration file is in
> > /var/unbound/etc instead of just straight up /etc like most other
> > things?
>
> Like nsd, for security unbound can run within a chroot so it then does
> not have access to anything outside /var/unbound - so everything it
> needs is kept within that one place.
>
> -- Mark

Bryan