After system-upgrade F26->F27, system startup hangs after Reached target System Initialization

After system-upgrade F26->F27, system startup hangs after Reached target System Initialization

Frédéric
Hi,

I just ran the dnf system-upgrade procedure on my 3rd system and
everthing seemed to work fine up to the installation of all packages
and reboot. The reboot stopped after "Reached target System
Initialization" (see below what is on the screen). I cannot log in via
ssh. Ctrl+Alt+FN does not work.
Note that I am used to the FAILED message about Load Kernel Modules. I
do not know what it means but it normally does not prevent me from
working.

What should I do? Just try to reboot another time?

[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
See 'systemclt status systemd-modules-load.service' for details.
     Starting Apply Kernel Variables...
[OK] Started Create Static Device Nodes in /dev.
[OK] Started Create Volatile Files and Directories.
[OK] Started Apply Kernel Variables.
[OK] Started Journal Service.
[OK] Started Setup Virtual Console.
[OK] Started dracut cmdline hook.
     Starting udev dracut pre-udev hook...
[OK] Started dracut pre-udev hook.
     Starting udev Kernel Device Manager...
[OK] Started udev Kernel Device Manager.
     Starting udev Coldplug all Devices...
     Mounting Kernel Configuration File System...
[OK] Mounted Kernel Configuration File System.
[OK] Started udev Coldplug all Devices.
     Starting Show Plymouth Boot Screen...
     Starting dracut initqueue hook...
[OK] Reached target System Initalization.

Re: After system-upgrade F26->F27, system startup hangs after Reached target System Initialization

Frédéric
> What should I do? Just try to reboot another time?

Ctrl+Alt+Suppr did not work.
Ctrl+Alt+SysReq works only for key S "Emergency Sync complete". All
other keys in REISUB give "This sysrq operation is disabled.
So I have to force turning off... I do not like that.

Re: After system-upgrade F26->F27, system startup hangs after Reached target System Initialization

Frédéric
> So I have to force turning off... I do not like that.

Did that, rebooted. It stopped for a long time at the same place (2-3
minutes) then showed the login screen!

Don't know what happened but it seems that it is fine now.

Thanks

Re: After system-upgrade F26->F27, system startup hangs after Reached target System Initialization

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 11:33:40PM +0200, Frédéric wrote:
> > What should I do? Just try to reboot another time?
>
> Ctrl+Alt+Suppr did not work.
> Ctrl+Alt+SysReq works only for key S "Emergency Sync complete". All
> other keys in REISUB give "This sysrq operation is disabled.

I never heard that <ctrl> might be part of the sysrq combo.

Here on an x86 it's

0: press <alt>, keep holding
2: press the magic key, release it
3: release <alt>

But maybe you have most sysrq keys disabled: if you do a
cat /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
you might see what currently is set (my guess: 16).

more on the topic:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Sysrq#How_do_I_enable_the_magic_SysRq_key.3F

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/plain/Documentation/sysrq.txt?id=refs/tags/v4.9.5

And careful: hitting 'c' in sysrq will crash your system .. :)

Wolfgang

Re: After system-upgrade F26->F27, system startup hangs after Reached target System Initialization

Rick Stevens-3
On 05/16/2018 02:43 PM, Frédéric wrote:
>> So I have to force turning off... I do not like that.
>
> Did that, rebooted. It stopped for a long time at the same place (2-3
> minutes) then showed the login screen!
>
> Don't know what happened but it seems that it is fine now.

It may have been rebuilding the initramfs if there was a kernel update
or an SELinux relabel operation (really common on an upgrade, say from
F27->F28). If it happens again and if you have an LED showing disk
activity, watch it. If it's blinking like mad or on steadily, that's
probably what's going on (I love LEDs...but I also liked front panels
on my Imsai, Altair and PDP-11s).

The first boot after an upgrade always seems to take a while for me, so
when I do it I just take a coffee break for 10 minutes or so. If things
aren't working by then, I go into spelunker mode to sort it out.

Re: After system-upgrade F26->F27, system startup hangs after Reached target System Initialization

Frédéric
> It may have been rebuilding the initramfs if there was a kernel update
> or an SELinux relabel operation (really common on an upgrade, say from
> F27->F28). If it happens again and if you have an LED showing disk
> activity, watch it. If it's blinking like mad or on steadily, that's
> probably what's going on (I love LEDs...but I also liked front panels
> on my Imsai, Altair and PDP-11s).
>
> The first boot after an upgrade always seems to take a while for me, so
> when I do it I just take a coffee break for 10 minutes or so. If things
> aren't working by then, I go into spelunker mode to sort it out.

Then do you think I should run manually the SElinux relabeling?
Because I may have stopped it when I turned the computer off?
What about the initramfs thing?

Re: After system-upgrade F26->F27, system startup hangs after Reached target System Initialization

Ed Greshko
On 05/18/18 13:48, Frédéric wrote:

>> It may have been rebuilding the initramfs if there was a kernel update
>> or an SELinux relabel operation (really common on an upgrade, say from
>> F27->F28). If it happens again and if you have an LED showing disk
>> activity, watch it. If it's blinking like mad or on steadily, that's
>> probably what's going on (I love LEDs...but I also liked front panels
>> on my Imsai, Altair and PDP-11s).
>>
>> The first boot after an upgrade always seems to take a while for me, so
>> when I do it I just take a coffee break for 10 minutes or so. If things
>> aren't working by then, I go into spelunker mode to sort it out.
> Then do you think I should run manually the SElinux relabeling?
> Because I may have stopped it when I turned the computer off?
> What about the initramfs thing?

Unlike Rick, I have never experienced a SElinux relabel at boot after an upgrade.

All of my boots after upgrade will take more time than usual since I run the binary
nVidia drivers and it needs to be built for the new kernel at boot time as they
aren't built during the upgrade process.

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.