Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

12
Bob

Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Bob
I have purchased a new computer, it is my first UEFI coomputer so I am new to
this.

I downloaded Ubuntu 17.10.1 ISO to install on an ASUS model X541S.  I disabled
secure-boot and fast-boot and enabled CSM.  On the first try I did not allocate
the bios_gurb partition and could not install.  On the second try I allocated
the bios_grub partition and the install completed.

Ubuntu will not boot.

I did some google searches and found that you need a few files in the /efi/boot
directory which I can not find anywhere.  Does the bios_grub partition have
those files?  I have not found a way to display what is in that partition.

--
Robert Blair

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.  -- James Bovard, Civil Libertarian (1994)

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Ken D'Ambrosio
On 2018-02-18 17:41, Bob wrote:
> I have purchased a new computer, it is my first UEFI coomputer so I am
> new to
> this.

[...]
> Ubuntu will not boot.

Hey, Bob.  My suggestion would first be to scope the issue: I'd try
installing with Ubuntu's default installation; it should be able to
figure out the UEFI stuff, etc., all by itself.  If *THAT* boots, then
maybe try again, leaving the UEFI partition created by Ubuntu alone (but
telling the installer to use it).

Good luck!

-Ken

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Tom H
On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 5:41 PM, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have purchased a new computer, it is my first UEFI coomputer so I am new to
> this.
>
> I downloaded Ubuntu 17.10.1 ISO to install on an ASUS model X541S. I disabled
> secure-boot and fast-boot and enabled CSM. On the first try I did not allocate
> the bios_gurb partition and could not install. On the second try I allocated
> the bios_grub partition and the install completed.
>
> Ubuntu will not boot.
>
> I did some google searches and found that you need a few files in the /efi/boot
> directory which I can not find anywhere. Does the bios_grub partition have
> those files? I have not found a way to display what is in that partition.

Why did you enable CSM? I've installed Ubuntu (with and without
disabling secure boot) on EFI laptops and servers using "regular" EFI.
In this case you need a FAT filesystem (mounted at "/boot/efi" by
default) containing a boot manager or boot loader (or even a Linux
kernel) that the EFI firmware can load.

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Rashkae
EFI partition and bios-grub are mutually exclusive.  This does not mean
that both can't exist on the same drive, but only one will be used
during the boot process.

bios-grub paritition is used with legacy, pre-EFI boot BIOS.  In theory,
the CSM should also be able to load boot code from bios-grub.  In
practice, the one time I tried this it would not work.  I didn't really
trouble shoot it, as it was more or less irrelevant.

bios-grub exists because of the new hard drive partition scheme, GPT.
When a large capacity hard drive is formatted GPT, or if you just want
the greater flexibility of GPT partitioning, GRUB can no longer embed
boot code in unused space the way it used to.  In short, if your hard
drive is partitioned with GPT partitions, you will need a bios-grub
partition to boot with a legacy, pre-efi BIOS.

Here is where I think you are getting into trouble.  For Ubuntu
installer to properly configure EFI boot, you have to boot the install
CD with EFI.  With CSM enabled, your motherboard will allow you to boot
the CDROM in legacy mode, in which case, the installer will not load the
kernel modules needed to install EFI boot environment.  I have even seen
many motherboards that boot CDROM in legacy mode by default.

When your system is booting, there should be a way to choose a one time
boot media.  In your choices, you should see for an option that
explicitly offers UEFI on the CDROM.  If it's too obscure, you can try
just disabling the CSM, (and therefore, no legacy boot whatsoever.)

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Bret Busby-2
On 19/02/2018, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have purchased a new computer, it is my first UEFI coomputer so I am new
> this.

Hello.

This is not an answer to the question posted, but, a question of a solution.

Is a HOWTO published for installing Ubuntu on a UEFI/GPT system, now
that Ubuntu can apparently be installed directly into the UEFI/GPT
system without being concerned about LegacyBIOS?

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Bob

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Bob
** Reply to message from Rashkae <[hidden email]> on Sun, 18 Feb 2018
18:21:31 -0500

> EFI partition and bios-grub are mutually exclusive.  This does not mean
> that both can't exist on the same drive, but only one will be used
> during the boot process.
>

> bios-grub paritition is used with legacy, pre-EFI boot BIOS.  In theory,
> the CSM should also be able to load boot code from bios-grub.  In
> practice, the one time I tried this it would not work.  I didn't really
> trouble shoot it, as it was more or less irrelevant.
>
> bios-grub exists because of the new hard drive partition scheme, GPT.
> When a large capacity hard drive is formatted GPT, or if you just want
> the greater flexibility of GPT partitioning, GRUB can no longer embed
> boot code in unused space the way it used to.  In short, if your hard
> drive is partitioned with GPT partitions, you will need a bios-grub
> partition to boot with a legacy, pre-efi BIOS.
>

> Here is where I think you are getting into trouble.  For Ubuntu
> installer to properly configure EFI boot, you have to boot the install
> CD with EFI.  With CSM enabled, your motherboard will allow you to boot
> the CDROM in legacy mode, in which case, the installer will not load the
> kernel modules needed to install EFI boot environment.  I have even seen
> many motherboards that boot CDROM in legacy mode by default.

That was the problem.  With CSM enabled the first item in the boot menu was the
CD in legacy mode.  The CD in EFI mode was the fourth entry.  This required me
to hold the Esc key when I power on to get the boot menu and select the EFI CD
to install Ubuntu.

> When your system is booting, there should be a way to choose a one time
> boot media.  In your choices, you should see for an option that
> explicitly offers UEFI on the CDROM.  If it's too obscure, you can try
> just disabling the CSM, (and therefore, no legacy boot whatsoever.)

Thanks

--
Robert Blair

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.  -- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 11:06 PM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19/02/2018, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have purchased a new computer, it is my first UEFI coomputer so I am new
>> to this.
>
> This is not an answer to the question posted, but, a question of a
> solution.
>
> Is a HOWTO published for installing Ubuntu on a UEFI/GPT system, now
> that Ubuntu can apparently be installed directly into the UEFI/GPT
> system without being concerned about LegacyBIOS?

Ubuntu's been able to install out of the box on EFI boards for a long time.

There's nothing special to be done for EFI. You boot from an
installation image and

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0

On 19/02/2018, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 11:06 PM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 19/02/2018, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have purchased a new computer, it is my first UEFI coomputer so I am
>>> new
>>> to this.
>>
>> This is not an answer to the question posted, but, a question of a
>> solution.
>>
>> Is a HOWTO published for installing Ubuntu on a UEFI/GPT system, now
>> that Ubuntu can apparently be installed directly into the UEFI/GPT
>> system without being concerned about LegacyBIOS?
>
> Ubuntu's been able to install out of the box on EFI boards for a long time.
>
> There's nothing special to be done for EFI. You boot from an
> installation image and
>
> https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0

I can't acccess that URL.

In the last message before your one above, was

"
> Here is where I think you are getting into trouble.  For Ubuntu
> installer to properly configure EFI boot, you have to boot the install
> CD with EFI.  With CSM enabled, your motherboard will allow you to boot
> the CDROM in legacy mode, in which case, the installer will not load the
> kernel modules needed to install EFI boot environment.  I have even seen
> many motherboards that boot CDROM in legacy mode by default.

That was the problem.  With CSM enabled the first item in the boot menu was the
CD in legacy mode.  The CD in EFI mode was the fourth entry.  This required me
to hold the Esc key when I power on to get the boot menu and select the EFI CD
to install Ubuntu.

> When your system is booting, there should be a way to choose a one time
> boot media.  In your choices, you should see for an option that
> explicitly offers UEFI on the CDROM.  If it's too obscure, you can try
> just disabling the CSM, (and therefore, no legacy boot whatsoever.)
"

(although I do not know what is CSM in this context - I know the
acronym as a WO2 - a Company Sergeant Major)

which message text, shows that a boot sequence may need to be
disrupted, to obtain a UEFI installation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Liam Proven
On 19 February 2018 at 16:26, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't acccess that URL.

Works for me.

Try removing the #0 from end. It will go to the 1st slide automatically
anyway.

> (although I do not know what is CSM in this context - I know the
> acronym as a WO2 - a Company Sergeant Major)

I didn't either. I had to Google it.

Compatibility Support Module[edit]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#CSM

> which message text, shows that a boot sequence may need to be
> disrupted, to obtain a UEFI installation.

I cannot parse this sentence.

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Peter Flynn
On 18/02/18 22:41, Bob wrote:
> I have purchased a new computer, it is my first UEFI computer so I am new to
> this.

Having been through this a few months ago on a new Dell XPS 15, and had
endless pain from every Linux distribution I tried, I have only one
piece of advice: disable UEFI, enable Legacy Boot, and use that.

The people who write the drivers and the installers need our support,
and they need time and resources, just like they did to get existing
systems to the stage where they install using grub pretty much without
blinking. I'm sure that one day it will be possible to install Linux
painlessly on a UEFI sytem, but today is not that day.

///Peter

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Ubuntu mailing list
19 February 2018  at 18:46, Peter Flynn wrote:
Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI comput (at least in part)

Well, if it can be done on an pure EFI Mac** (not painless, but not that hard)
it should be doable

>I'm sure that one day it will be possible to install Linux painlessly on a
>UEFI sytem, but today is not that day.

**
It was harder because the mac was on an external drive and the internal was to
be "untouched"

On 20/02/2018, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 19 February 2018 at 16:26, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I can't acccess that URL.
>
> Works for me.
>
> Try removing the #0 from end. It will go to the 1st slide automatically
> anyway.

 I had also tried that.

I simply got a blank screen. I am using Konqueror for the gmail
account, although I also copied and pasted the URL to a Firefox
window, and got the same failure.

I was able to view another Ubuntu website web page, linked from an
email message in the thread about Meltdown and Spectre (as opposed to
SPECTRE, which is the organisation with which, James Bond had a
problem).

So, I think it is a problem pertaining to the particular web page.

>> (although I do not know what is CSM in this context - I know the
>> acronym as a WO2 - a Company Sergeant Major)
>
> I didn't either. I had to Google it.
>
> Compatibility Support Module[edit]
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#CSM
>
>> which message text, shows that a boot sequence may need to be
>> disrupted, to obtain a UEFI installation.
>
> I cannot parse this sentence.

The preceding sentence, relating to CSM's, was parenthesied, so that
sentence part, followed, and, related to the message extract that I
had included;
"
>> which message text, shows that a boot sequence may need to be
>> disrupted, to obtain a UEFI installation.
"

Now, to what, that related, is the text that I had quoted;

"
> Here is where I think you are getting into trouble.  For Ubuntu
> installer to properly configure EFI boot, you have to boot the install
> CD with EFI.  With CSM enabled, your motherboard will allow you to boot
> the CDROM in legacy mode, in which case, the installer will not load the
> kernel modules needed to install EFI boot environment.  I have even seen
> many motherboards that boot CDROM in legacy mode by default.

That was the problem.  With CSM enabled the first item in the boot menu was the
CD in legacy mode.  The CD in EFI mode was the fourth entry.  This required me
to hold the Esc key when I power on to get the boot menu and select the EFI CD
to install Ubuntu.

> When your system is booting, there should be a way to choose a one time
> boot media.  In your choices, you should see for an option that
> explicitly offers UEFI on the CDROM.  If it's too obscure, you can try
> just disabling the CSM, (and therefore, no legacy boot whatsoever.)
"

which "shows that a boot sequence may need to be
disrupted, to obtain a UEFI installation."

The boot sequence apparently, was required to be disrupted (according
to the original poster,

"
That was the problem.  With CSM enabled the first item in the boot menu was the
CD in legacy mode.  The CD in EFI mode was the fourth entry.  This required me
to hold the Esc key when I power on to get the boot menu and select the EFI CD
to install Ubuntu.
"
)

thus, requiring the boot sequence to be disrupted, in order for him to
access the UEFI version of the installation, rather that the
LegacyBIOS version of the installation, to which the boot sequence,
apparently, defaulted, in the absence of the boot sequence disruption.

On 20/02/2018, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/02/2018, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 19 February 2018 at 16:26, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I can't acccess that URL.
>>
>> Works for me.
>>
>> Try removing the #0 from end. It will go to the 1st slide automatically
>> anyway.
>>

>  I had also tried that.
>
> I simply got a blank screen. I am using Konqueror for the gmail
> account, although I also copied and pasted the URL to a Firefox
> window, and got the same failure.
>
> I was able to view another Ubuntu website web page, linked from an
> email message in the thread about Meltdown and Spectre (as opposed to
> SPECTRE, which is the organisation with which, James Bond had a
> problem).
>
> So, I think it is a problem pertaining to the particular web page.

It has just occurred to me - if the web page is using automated
slideshowing, that could be the problem.

I do not run Powerpoint.

And, Firefox does not work so well, since it was downgraded to v57 (I
think it is now at v58 - a further downgrade).

So, I assume that a compatibility problem exuists, between the
slideshow software, which may have been compaible (as many things
were) with Firefox 56, but, like most things, does not work with the
Firefox downgrade to v57 and later.

On 19/02/18 20:11, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 20/02/2018, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 19 February 2018 at 16:26, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I can't acccess that URL.
>>
>> Works for me.
>>
>> Try removing the #0 from end. It will go to the 1st slide automatically
>> anyway.
>>

>  I had also tried that.
>
> I simply got a blank screen. I am using Konqueror for the gmail
> account, although I also copied and pasted the URL to a Firefox
> window, and got the same failure.

Polyfills don't work in FF, AFAIK.

///Peter

On 20/02/2018, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19/02/18 20:11, Bret Busby wrote:

>>> Works for me.
>>>
>>> Try removing the #0 from end. It will go to the 1st slide automatically
>>> anyway.
>>>

>>  I had also tried that.
>>
>> I simply got a blank screen. I am using Konqueror for the gmail
>> account, although I also copied and pasted the URL to a Firefox
>> window, and got the same failure.
>
> Polyfills don't work in FF, AFAIK.

Information web sites would be more effective, if they would be
universally accessible.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Tom H
On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:26 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> On 19/02/2018, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 11:06 PM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Is a HOWTO published for installing Ubuntu on a UEFI/GPT system, now
>>> that Ubuntu can apparently be installed directly into the UEFI/GPT
>>> system without being concerned about LegacyBIOS?
>>
>> Ubuntu's been able to install out of the box on EFI boards for a long time.
>>
>> There's nothing special to be done for EFI. You boot from an
>> installation image and
>>
>> https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0
>
> I can't acccess that URL.

Strange. Can you go to

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

and then use the installation link at the bottom left of the page?

> In the last message before your one above, was
>
> "
>> Here is where I think you are getting into trouble. For Ubuntu
>> installer to properly configure EFI boot, you have to boot the
>> install CD with EFI. With CSM enabled, your motherboard will allow
>> you to boot the CDROM in legacy mode, in which case, the installer
>> will not load the kernel modules needed to install EFI boot
>> environment. I have even seen many motherboards that boot CDROM in
>> legacy mode by default.
>
> That was the problem. With CSM enabled the first item in the boot menu
> was the CD in legacy mode. The CD in EFI mode was the fourth entry.
> This required me to hold the Esc key when I power on to get the boot
> menu and select the EFI CD to install Ubuntu.

Perhaps there's a bug when CSM is enabled and it should be reported.

More importantly, why is CSM being enabled? Is there a technical
reason that's preventing someone to boot from "regular" EFI? Or is
this a cargo-cult installation procedure?

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18/02/18 22:41, Bob wrote:
>>
>> I have purchased a new computer, it is my first UEFI computer so I am
>> new to this.
>
> Having been through this a few months ago on a new Dell XPS 15, and
> had endless pain from every Linux distribution I tried, I have only
> one piece of advice: disable UEFI, enable Legacy Boot, and use that.
>
> The people who write the drivers and the installers need our support,
> and they need time and resources, just like they did to get existing
> systems to the stage where they install using grub pretty much without
> blinking. I'm sure that one day it will be possible to install Linux
> painlessly on a UEFI sytem, but today is not that day.

Utter rubbish! Especially with an XPS 15! Because (1) I installed
Ubuntu on an XPS 15 using EFI one year ago (2) Dell sells an XPS 13
with Ubuntu pre-installed and I doubt that the EFI setup's different
enough (if at all!) on the XPS 15 for an EFI installation to fail.

I'd say the opposite. Having installed Linux on at least a dozen
laptops with EFI, I'd advise not to disable EFI because the installer
(and later the OS) work perfectly with EFI.

On 20/02/2018, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:26 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On 19/02/2018, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Ubuntu's been able to install out of the box on EFI boards for a long
>>> time.
>>>
>>> There's nothing special to be done for EFI. You boot from an
>>> installation image and
>>>
>>> https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0
>>
>> I can't acccess that URL.
>
> Strange. Can you go to
>
> https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
>
> and then use the installation link at the bottom left of the page?

In assuming that, by "the installation link", you mean the link with
the label "Read the installation instructions", I can go to the URL
that you have given, but, clicking on the link with the label "Read
the installation instructions", results, in both Konqueror and
Firefox, in a blank screen, but, with a strange thing (only) in
Firefox; on the right hand side of the screen, a mark appears, like a
crease in the screen surface, going from the upper left part, to the
lower right part, but, it is not otherwise apparent - it appears only
with that web page, and, of the two web browsers Konqueror and
Firefox, only with Firefox (v58.0.2 (64-bit) ).

--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 20.02.2018, 17:51 +0800 schrieb Bret Busby:

> > https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
> >
> > and then use the installation link at the bottom left of the page?
> >
> In assuming that, by "the installation link", you mean the link with
> the label "Read the installation instructions", I can go to the URL
> that you have given, but, clicking on the link with the label "Read
> the installation instructions", results, in both Konqueror and
> Firefox, in a blank screen, but, with a strange thing (only) in
> Firefox;
do you use any browser addons that could block things like javascript
execution or other web bits that are rather standard nowadays ?

ciao
        oli

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 3:11 PM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The boot sequence apparently, was required to be disrupted (according
> to the original poster,
>
> "
> That was the problem.  With CSM enabled the first item in the boot
> menu was the CD in legacy mode.  The CD in EFI mode was the fourth
> entry.  This required me to hold the Esc key when I power on to get
> the boot menu and select the EFI CD to install Ubuntu.
> "
>
> thus, requiring the boot sequence to be disrupted, in order for him to
> access the UEFI version of the installation, rather that the
> LegacyBIOS version of the installation, to which the boot sequence,
> apparently, defaulted, in the absence of the boot sequence disruption.

I've never enabled CSM. However, I'd expect to have to boot a CD/DVD
in legacy mode with it enabled. If the Ubuntu installer is behaving
differently, it'd be good to file a bug report.

12