Borgmatic

Patrick O'Callaghan
I've recently started experimenting with Borg as a deduplicating
backup system ('dnf install borgbackup'). Think 'duplicity' on steroids.
However there are many quite complex configuration options and a number
of efforts exist to make things simpler for the average user, especially
when setting up an automated backup regime (the only kind of backup
that's worth a candle of course).

One of these is a Python3 script called Borgmatic (https://torsion.org/
borgmatic/), which is easy to install using pip3 but needs some minor
tweaking to run on Fedora (it installs in /usr/local/bin, which is not
in the default PATH for sudo). It would be much more elegant if this
could be done as a proper Fedora package and installed in /usr/bin.
I've been in touch with the creator and although he has no issue with
this happening he's not a Fedora user himself. I'm not volunteering to
do it either because a) I have no experience of package creation and
maintenance, and b) Borg itself is already maintained as part of
Fedora, so the logical step would be for the Fedora maintainer to take
it on. What is the approved process for suggesting this?

poc

Re: Borgmatic

Ed Greshko-2
On 04/10/18 19:30, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> I've recently started experimenting with Borg as a deduplicating
> backup system ('dnf install borgbackup'). Think 'duplicity' on steroids.
> However there are many quite complex configuration options and a number
> of efforts exist to make things simpler for the average user, especially
> when setting up an automated backup regime (the only kind of backup
> that's worth a candle of course).
>
> One of these is a Python3 script called Borgmatic (https://torsion.org/
> borgmatic/), which is easy to install using pip3 but needs some minor
> tweaking to run on Fedora (it installs in /usr/local/bin, which is not
> in the default PATH for sudo). It would be much more elegant if this
> could be done as a proper Fedora package and installed in /usr/bin.
> I've been in touch with the creator and although he has no issue with
> this happening he's not a Fedora user himself. I'm not volunteering to
> do it either because a) I have no experience of package creation and
> maintenance, and b) Borg itself is already maintained as part of
> Fedora, so the logical step would be for the Fedora maintainer to take
> it on. What is the approved process for suggesting this?

I don't know the "official or approved" process but looking in koji I see that
Benjamin Pereto <[hidden email]> is doing all the builds and appears in the
changelog.  So, being the dummy I am I'd email him.  :-) :-)

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: Borgmatic

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Tue, 2018-04-10 at 20:16 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 04/10/18 19:30, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I've recently started experimenting with Borg as a deduplicating
> > backup system ('dnf install borgbackup'). Think 'duplicity' on steroids.
> > However there are many quite complex configuration options and a number
> > of efforts exist to make things simpler for the average user, especially
> > when setting up an automated backup regime (the only kind of backup
> > that's worth a candle of course).
> >
> > One of these is a Python3 script called Borgmatic (https://torsion.org/
> > borgmatic/), which is easy to install using pip3 but needs some minor
> > tweaking to run on Fedora (it installs in /usr/local/bin, which is not
> > in the default PATH for sudo). It would be much more elegant if this
> > could be done as a proper Fedora package and installed in /usr/bin.
> > I've been in touch with the creator and although he has no issue with
> > this happening he's not a Fedora user himself. I'm not volunteering to
> > do it either because a) I have no experience of package creation and
> > maintenance, and b) Borg itself is already maintained as part of
> > Fedora, so the logical step would be for the Fedora maintainer to take
> > it on. What is the approved process for suggesting this?
> >

> I don't know the "official or approved" process but looking in koji I see that
> Benjamin Pereto <[hidden email]> is doing all the builds and appears in the
> changelog.  So, being the dummy I am I'd email him.  :-) :-)

OK, I had just looked at 'rpm -qi ...' which is less specific. I'll do
that.

poc

Re: Borgmatic

Todd Zullinger
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-04-10 at 20:16 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> I don't know the "official or approved" process but looking in koji I see that
>> Benjamin Pereto <[hidden email]> is doing all the builds and appears in the
>> changelog.  So, being the dummy I am I'd email him.  :-) :-)
>
> OK, I had just looked at 'rpm -qi ...' which is less specific. I'll do
> that.

You can reach all the maintainers of a given package using
the alias <package>-[hidden email].

I'm not sure if this is something you're thinking could be
added to the existing package or would be a new package,
just related to the current one.  If the former, filing a
bug as an enhancement request.  The wiki goes into a little
detail about this (and covers new package requests as well):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs_and_feature_requests#Enhancement_Requests

--
Todd

Re: Borgmatic

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Tue, 2018-04-10 at 11:53 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2018-04-10 at 20:16 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > > I don't know the "official or approved" process but looking in koji I see that
> > > Benjamin Pereto <[hidden email]> is doing all the builds and appears in the
> > > changelog.  So, being the dummy I am I'd email him.  :-) :-)
> >
> > OK, I had just looked at 'rpm -qi ...' which is less specific. I'll do
> > that.
>
> You can reach all the maintainers of a given package using
> the alias <package>-[hidden email].
>
> I'm not sure if this is something you're thinking could be
> added to the existing package or would be a new package,
> just related to the current one.  If the former, filing a
> bug as an enhancement request.  The wiki goes into a little
> detail about this (and covers new package requests as well):
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs_and_feature_requests#Enhancement_Requests

Thanks. I've already communicated with the package maintainer and he's
willing to take it on. I think it should be separate from the main Borg
package but he may feel differently.

poc

Re: Borgmatic

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Tue, 2018-04-10 at 17:19 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Tue, 2018-04-10 at 11:53 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> > Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, I had just looked at 'rpm -qi ...' which is less specific. I'll do
> > > that.
> >
> > You can reach all the maintainers of a given package using
> > the alias <package>-[hidden email].
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is something you're thinking could be
> > added to the existing package or would be a new package,
> > just related to the current one.  If the former, filing a
> > bug as an enhancement request.  The wiki goes into a little
> > detail about this (and covers new package requests as well):
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs_and_feature_requests#Enhancement_Requests
>
> Thanks. I've already communicated with the package maintainer and he's
> willing to take it on. I think it should be separate from the main Borg
> package but he may feel differently.

The maintainer has accepted the idea and Borgmatic is on track for F28
and EL-7:

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/?search=borgmatic

Thanks to Ed and Todd for the suggestions.

poc

Re: Borgmatic

Todd Zullinger
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> The maintainer has accepted the idea and Borgmatic is on track for F28
> and EL-7:
>
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/?search=borgmatic
>
> Thanks to Ed and Todd for the suggestions.

Excellent!  Thanks for nudging things forward.  Soon someone
else will run 'dnf install borgmatic' and be happy that it's
available so easily. :)

--
Todd