CUPS - Some apps can't print

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CUPS - Some apps can't print

Philip Rhoades
People,

I try and minimise printing and try and send electronic docs where
possible but sometimes I am forced into producing paper copies.  Because
I use the printer so infrequently, I am not sure if this problem has
started since upgrading from F25 to F26 (x86_64) or whether it was there
even earlier (I usually update every version).  CUPS printer info:

Device URI:

   lpd://192.168.1.4/

Make and Model:

   Brother HL-5250DN BR-Script3

Trying to print from LibreOffice - no data is sent and the Printer State
shows:

   Idle - Filter failed

Printing the exported PDF with qpdfview works fine and the Printer State
shows:

   Idle - Data file sent successfully.

So for every doc I end up having to export to PDF from LibreOffice and
print from qpdfview . . which is tedious when the thing should be able
to be printed directly.  I have spent hours trying all the options (I
thought it might be because I have an imbedded PNG for a signature) and
Googling but haven't found a solution.  I have deleted the printer
driver and reinstalled it a number of times . .

I just found trying to print from Google Docs to the printer fails too .
.

Any suggestions about further debugging?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CUPS - Some apps can't print

Samuel Sieb
On 02/08/2018 05:45 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Trying to print from LibreOffice - no data is sent and the Printer State
> shows:
>
>    Idle - Filter failed
>

> Any suggestions about further debugging?

Have you looked in the journal to see if there is more useful
information?  Try using "journalctl -u cups -b" to filter.  If there's
not enough info, you could try modifying /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to set the
log level to debug and restart cups.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CUPS - Some apps can't print

Philip Rhoades
In reply to this post by Philip Rhoades
Samuel,


> Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 20:03:26 -0800
> From: Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: CUPS - Some apps can't print
> To: [hidden email]
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
>
> On 02/08/2018 05:45 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> Trying to print from LibreOffice - no data is sent and the Printer
>> State
>> shows:
>>
>>    Idle - Filter failed
>>
>
>> Any suggestions about further debugging?
>
> Have you looked in the journal to see if there is more useful
> information?  Try using "journalctl -u cups -b" to filter.  If there's
> not enough info, you could try modifying /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to set
> the
> log level to debug and restart cups.


I posted a "SOLVED" followup - this fixed the problem:

   dnf update cups-filters

   systemctl restart cups

but thanks for the journalctl approach - I will add that to my
collection of READMEs!

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CUPS - Some apps can't print

Samuel Sieb
On 02/08/2018 09:38 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> I posted a "SOLVED" followup - this fixed the problem:
>
>    dnf update cups-filters
>
>    systemctl restart cups

Sorry about that.  It was further down in my inbox so I didn't see that
until after I sent my reply.  It would have been better if you had
replied in that thread so that the messages would be together in
people's inboxes and in the archives.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CUPS - Some apps can't print

Philip Rhoades
In reply to this post by Philip Rhoades
Samuel,


> Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 21:57:31 -0800
> From: Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: CUPS - Some apps can't print
> To: [hidden email]
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
>
> On 02/08/2018 09:38 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> I posted a "SOLVED" followup - this fixed the problem:
>>
>>    dnf update cups-filters
>>
>>    systemctl restart cups
>
> Sorry about that.  It was further down in my inbox so I didn't see that
> until after I sent my reply.  It would have been better if you had
> replied in that thread so that the messages would be together in
> people's inboxes and in the archives.


Hmm . . not sure what happened - I just did what I normally do (which
used to work):

- reply to the list

- change the subject appropriately

- edit out extraneous digest stuff and add my response to the
appropriate thread

That should have retained whatever threading was involved?

Now that I think about it . . I'm not sure how that CAN work . .

P.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CUPS - Some apps can't print

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Fri, 2018-02-09 at 19:49 +1100, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> Hmm . . not sure what happened - I just did what I normally do (which
> used to work):
>
> - reply to the list
>
> - change the subject appropriately
>
> - edit out extraneous digest stuff and add my response to the
> appropriate thread
>
> That should have retained whatever threading was involved?
>
> Now that I think about it . . I'm not sure how that CAN work . .

It absolutely does NOT work. Replying to digests will only preserve
threading if your mail client has an option such as Reply to Digest
(e.g. Evolution can do this). Otherwise you break threading.

Digests are an outdated concept anyway. They're a hangover from the
days of UUCP and really have no reason to exist any more.

poc
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]