[CentOS] Bash rotating tab completion with list

[CentOS] Bash rotating tab completion with list

Dotan Cohen
I just got off a Windows 7 terminal which has rotating tab completion,
this means that in the case of completion ambiguity the shell
completes one of the possibilities, and subsequent tabs complete to
different possibilities. This in contrast to bash's behaviour of
simply printing a list of possibilities.

Googling I have found that bash can in fact have rotating completion
by setting "\C-i": menu-complete. However, I would really like the
first tab to show the possibilities (default behaviour, albeit on the
second tab), and subsequent tabs to rotate. I can't figure this out.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Re: [CentOS] Bash rotating tab completion with list

yonatan pingle
Hi Dotan,

have you already installed this:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repoview/bash-completion.html

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Dotan Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just got off a Windows 7 terminal which has rotating tab completion,
> this means that in the case of completion ambiguity the shell
> completes one of the possibilities, and subsequent tabs complete to
> different possibilities. This in contrast to bash's behaviour of
> simply printing a list of possibilities.
>
> Googling I have found that bash can in fact have rotating completion
> by setting "\C-i": menu-complete. However, I would really like the
> first tab to show the possibilities (default behaviour, albeit on the
> second tab), and subsequent tabs to rotate. I can't figure this out.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://gibberish.co.il
> http://what-is-what.com

Best Regards,
Yonatan Pingle
RHCT | RHCSA | CCNA1

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 17:24, yonatan pingle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Dotan,
>
> have you already installed this:
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repoview/bash-completion.html

Nice, thanks. I was certain that I'm not the first to want this.

Is there any way to configure this without the bash-completion
package, for instance for use on the university students' server?
(which I'm not even sure is RH based, it's something old and probably
home-grown)

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Re: [CentOS] Bash rotating tab completion with list

yonatan pingle
Hello Dotan,

you might want to ask your sysadmin about this, it's a package that
can be compiled from source.
last time a checked ( a long time back ), they use both redhat 7.3 and
solaris as the core system in the univ ( in tel-aviv at least ).

you can check the system version & type with a simple cat /etc/issue
, or cat /etc/*relea*
if it's a centos based system, the admin would have to install the
package manually , or install the epel repo and use yum the proper
way.

most of the end users don't even use the terminal, so this is not a
common question, and i am sure the root admin will be glad to help you
with this.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Dotan Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 17:24, yonatan pingle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Dotan,
>>
>> have you already installed this:
>>
>> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repoview/bash-completion.html
>>

> Nice, thanks. I was certain that I'm not the first to want this.
>
> Is there any way to configure this without the bash-completion
> package, for instance for use on the university students' server?
> (which I'm not even sure is RH based, it's something old and probably
> home-grown)
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://gibberish.co.il
> http://what-is-what.com

Best Regards,
Yonatan Pingle
RHCT | RHCSA | CCNA1

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 17:49, yonatan pingle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Dotan,
>
> you might want to ask your sysadmin about this, it's a package that
> can be compiled from source.
> last time a checked ( a long time back ), they use both redhat 7.3 and
> solaris as the core system in the univ ( in tel-aviv at least ).

Thanks, this is at the Technion but I can ask.

> you can check the system version & type with a simple cat /etc/issue
> , or cat /etc/*relea*
> if it's a centos based system, the admin would have to install the
> package manually , or install the epel repo and use yum the proper
> way.
>
> most of the end users don't even use the terminal, so this is not a
> common question, and i am sure the root admin will be glad to help you
> with this.

I know. Most people have never even heard of Putty today.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il