[CentOS] CUPS not rendering documents via Samba

12

[CentOS] CUPS not rendering documents via Samba

Kevin Thorpe
Hi guys, any CUPS / Samba experts out there?

The CUPS printing guide is a horrendous maze of options. I've got
nearly there but I've got
one thing wrong and I don't know where to look.

I set up our two printers (HP K5400s) using the GUI printer tool. Both
print the test page just fine.
I set up the [printers] and [print$] shares and can browse to the
printers from Windows (XP for me)
I managed to get the postscript drivers installed with cupsaddsmb and
it installs on the XP client just fine.

..... sadly it just prints the postscript instead of rendering it. I
guess the printer queue is in raw mode
but I can't see where to change it. I vaguely remember foomatic and
such from ages back. Can someone
point me at the right part of the setup to fix this please?

--
Kevin Thorpe
Head of IT

Re: [CentOS] CUPS not rendering documents via Samba

m.roth
Kevin Thorpe wrote:
> Hi guys, any CUPS / Samba experts out there?
>
> The CUPS printing guide is a horrendous maze of options. I've got
> nearly there but I've got
> one thing wrong and I don't know where to look.
>
> I set up our two printers (HP K5400s) using the GUI printer tool. Both

The GUI printer tool - is that from the o/s, or, from the server, did you
browse to  <http://localhost:631/>? From the latter, you can add
printer->choose driver.
<snip>

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 3:44 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kevin Thorpe wrote:
>> Hi guys, any CUPS / Samba experts out there?
>>
>> The CUPS printing guide is a horrendous maze of options. I've got
>> nearly there but I've got
>> one thing wrong and I don't know where to look.
>>
>> I set up our two printers (HP K5400s) using the GUI printer tool. Both
>
> The GUI printer tool - is that from the o/s, or, from the server, did you
> browse to  <http://localhost:631/>? From the latter, you can add
> printer->choose driver.

Both the KDE printer manager and the CUPS manager on :631 create
the same printer setup.

--
Kevin Thorpe
Head of IT
PI Benchmark

Re: [CentOS] CUPS not rendering documents via Samba

Benjamin Hackl
Dear Kevin,

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:16:54 +0100
Kevin Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys, any CUPS / Samba experts out there?
>
> The CUPS printing guide is a horrendous maze of options. I've got
> nearly there but I've got
> one thing wrong and I don't know where to look.

you have to do the following:

In CUPS https://localhost:631/ setup your printers and set the printer
driver for each printer to local raw printer

In /etc/samba/smb.conf make sure you have the following settings

[main]
printing = cups

# printer share for your windows drivers
[print$]
comment = printer drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/somewhere
read only = yes
guest ok = no
write list = @somegroup, john

mkdir /var/lib/samba/somewhere/{COLOR,IA64,W32ALPHA,W32MIPS,W32PPC,W32X86,WIN40,x64}

# set permissions
chown -R john:somegroup /var/lib/samba/somewhere
chmod 775 /var/lib/samba/somewhere

or if you use ACL
setfacl --recursive -m g:somegroup:rwx /var/lib/samba/somewhere
etc.

Grant the SePrintOperatorPrivilege privilege

net rpc rights grant "<domain|hostname\<user|group>" \
SePrintOperatorPrivilege -U <hostname>/root

In windows open the print management tool and install the device drivers
there.

HTH, Brgds

--
Freundliche Gruesse/Best Regards
Benjamin Hackl

Media FOCUS Research Ges.m.b.H.
Maculangasse 8, 1220 Wien Austria
Tel: +43 1 258 97 01-295

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Benjamin Hackl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Kevin,
>
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:16:54 +0100
> Kevin Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys, any CUPS / Samba experts out there?

> you have to do the following:
>
> In CUPS https://localhost:631/ setup your printers and set the printer
> driver for each printer to local raw printer

Actually that's the opposite of what I want. I want to use the generic
postscript
driver in Windows and get the server to RIP for me.

--
Kevin Thorpe
Head of IT

Kevin Thorpe wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Benjamin Hackl <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Dear Kevin,
>>
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:16:54 +0100
>> Kevin Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys, any CUPS / Samba experts out there?
>
>> you have to do the following:
>>
>> In CUPS https://localhost:631/ setup your printers and set the printer
>> driver for each printer to local raw printer
>
> Actually that's the opposite of what I want. I want to use the generic
> postscript driver in Windows and get the server to RIP for me.

And you say that, using localhost:631, you did add printer, then selected
make and model, and chose one of the drivers, and it still doesn't do the
right thing?

       mark

Re: [CentOS] CUPS not rendering documents via Samba

Kevin Thorpe

>>> In CUPS https://localhost:631/ setup your printers and set the printer
>>> driver for each printer to local raw printer

> And you say that, using localhost:631, you did add printer, then selected
> make and model, and chose one of the drivers, and it still doesn't do the
> right thing?

That sets the printer up just fine in Linux. I can print to that fine
with Open Office.
The problem I have is that a generic PS driver in Windows to the SMB printer
outputs the raw PS script instead of rendering which is odd because the
CUPS test page is a postscript file.

Kevin Thorpe wrote:

>> And you say that, using localhost:631, you did add printer, then
>> selected make and model, and chose one of the drivers, and it still
>> doesn't do the right thing?
>
> That sets the printer up just fine in Linux. I can print to that fine
> with Open Office. The problem I have is that a generic PS driver in
> Windows to the SMB printer outputs the raw PS script instead of rendering
> which is odd because the CUPS test page is a postscript file.

Hmmm... maybe we're looking at this the wrong way: what is the setup on
the *Windows* side - what driver does that use?

        mark

Re: [CentOS] CUPS not rendering documents via Samba

Kevin Thorpe

>>> And you say that, using localhost:631, you did add printer, then
>>> selected make and model, and chose one of the drivers, and it still
>>> doesn't do the right thing?
>>
>> That sets the printer up just fine in Linux. I can print to that fine
>> with Open Office. The problem I have is that a generic PS driver in
>> Windows to the SMB printer outputs the raw PS script instead of rendering
>> which is odd because the CUPS test page is a postscript file.
>
> Hmmm... maybe we're looking at this the wrong way: what is the setup on
> the *Windows* side - what driver does that use?

I put together the cups PS driver (cupsps6.dll et.al.) and the postscript driver
from HP laserjet PS (pscript5.dll et.al.) as described in the CUPS HOWTO
then used cupsaddsmb to make it available to the workstations. This driver
installs automatically just fine when I connect to the printer share and
quite correctly produces a postscript file - unfortunately samba+CUPS
don't recognise the need to render it. I haven't got cups options = raw in
my smb.conf so it shouldn't bypass the CUPS filtering (I don't think)

--
Kevin Thorpe
Head of IT
PI Benchmark

Re: [CentOS] CUPS not rendering documents via Samba

Kevin Thorpe

Bah! I saw that lpr could print PS but smbclient coudn't so in desperation
I restarted samba. Now it prints PS. Why is completely beyond me.
That's why I couldn't work out what I'd done wrong - I hadn't.

--
Kevin Thorpe
Head of IT
PI Benchmark

Re: [CentOS] CUPS not rendering documents via Samba

Robert Heller
At Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:22:57 +0100 CentOS mailing list <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > And you say that, using localhost:631, you did add printer, then selected
> > make and model, and chose one of the drivers, and it still doesn't do the
> > right thing?
>
> That sets the printer up just fine in Linux. I can print to that fine
> with Open Office.
> The problem I have is that a generic PS driver in Windows to the SMB printer
> outputs the raw PS script instead of rendering which is odd because the
> CUPS test page is a postscript file.

Look *closely* at your smb.conf file.  I'll bet it has something like
this:

# Cups Options let you pass the cups libs custom options, setting it to
raw
# for example will let you use drivers on your Windows clients
#
# Printcap Name let you specify an alternative printcap file
#
# You can choose a non default printing system using the Printing option

        load printers = yes
        cups options = raw

;       printcap name = /etc/printcap
        #obtain list of printers automatically on SystemV
        printcap name = cups
        show add printer wizard = no
        printing = cups

Note the line 'cups options = raw'.  This means that when you add a
printer via NETBIOS (adding a network printer from the Network
Neighborhood) and send a printout, it gets sent *directly* to the
printer and DOES NOT go through the CUPS (foomatic) filter.  This means
that the MS-Windows machine must have the MS-Windows printer driver for
the printer installed and must be using this driver.

For a *real* PostScript printer (eg almost all *Laser* printers
(typically all but bargin basement types)), picking the 'generic'
PostScript driver will work just fine (I have no real idea *why*
MS-Windows thinks you need to have umpteen *different* PostScript
drivers, one for each model of PostScript printer).

MS-Windows *supposedly* supports the ipp protocol.  If you manage to get
the MS-Windows box to use *that* protocol for the network printer, (eg
ipp://IP-address:631/...), then you *should* be able to use the
'generic' PostScript, even if the printer is your basic (cheap) inkjet
printer using the CUPS foomagic (Ghostscript) driver/filter.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / [hidden email]
Deepwoods Software        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/

Kevin Thorpe wrote:

> Bah! I saw that lpr could print PS but smbclient coudn't so in desperation
> I restarted samba. Now it prints PS. Why is completely beyond me.
> That's why I couldn't work out what I'd done wrong - I hadn't.

Did you fix cups, and not restart samba? If so, I'll be the info was
cached, and had to be reread to know what to do.

Kevin Thorpe wrote:

> Bah! I saw that lpr could print PS but smbclient coudn't so in desperation
> I restarted samba. Now it prints PS. Why is completely beyond me.
> That's why I couldn't work out what I'd done wrong - I hadn't.

Following up my last post, I just looked at the smbd manpage - this may be
of interest, from the very *bottom* of the manpage:

<snip>
SIGNALS

   Sending the smbd a SIGHUP will cause it to reload its smb.conf configu-
   ration file within a short period of time.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 5:41 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Bah! I saw that lpr could print PS but smbclient coudn't so in desperation
>> I restarted samba. Now it prints PS. Why is completely beyond me.
>> That's why I couldn't work out what I'd done wrong - I hadn't.
>>
> Following up my last post, I just looked at the smbd manpage - this may be
> of interest, from the very *bottom* of the manpage:
>
> <snip>
> SIGNALS
>
>   Sending the smbd a SIGHUP will cause it to reload its smb.conf configu-
>   ration file within a short period of time.

Yup, I tried SIGHUP. That didn't fix it but restart did - I guess Samba is a
bit too much like windows ;-)

--
Kevin Thorpe
Head of IT

[CentOS] inconsistent DNS results - ping vs dig vs nslookup

robert henrichs
I am getting what I believe to be inconsistent replies/results from
my CentOs machine, trying to ping URLs.  Pinging by URL fails the DNS
lookup, while pinging the IP address (that should have been returned)
works.  The DNS lookup also fails NSLOOKUP, but interestingly, dig
and wget return A records with the correct IP.

Robert Henrichs.

         -  =  -  =  -        -  =  -  =  -        -  =  -  =  -
   -  =  -  =  -

    (INFO/examples:)

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
cat /etc/resolv.conf

PBX in a Flash PURPLE Daemon Status - Version 1.8.1  Released on 041211
System Information
   Asterisk   = ONLINE  | Dahdi     = ONLINE  | MySQL     = ONLINE
   SSH        = ONLINE  | Apache    = ONLINE  | Iptables  = ONLINE
   Fail2ban   = ONLINE  | Internet  = OFFLINE | Ip6Tables = ONLINE
   BlueTooth  = ONLINE  | Hidd      = ONLINE  | NTPD      = ONLINE
   SendMail   = ONLINE  | Samba     = OFFLINE | Webmin    = ONLINE
   Ethernet0  = ONLINE  | Ethernet1 = N/A     | Wlan0     = N/A

   PBX in a Flash Version   = 1.7.5.6
   FreePBX Version          = 2.8.1.4
   Running Asterisk Version = 1.8.3.3
   Asterisk Source Version  = 1.8.3.3
   Dahdi Source Version     = 2.4.1.2+2.4.1
   Libpri Source Version    = 1.4.11.5
   IP Address               = 192.168.70.40 on eth0
   Operating System         = CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
   Kernel Version           = 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5 - 32 Bit

root@pbx:/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts $ cat ifcfg-eth0
# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
DEVICE=eth0
TYPE=ethernet
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=192.168.70.255
IPADDR=192.168.70.40
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.70.2
HWADDR=00:1D:7D:26:31:D0
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=pbx.local

root@pbx:/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts $

root@pbx:/etc $ cat resolv.conf
search isp.com
   nameserver 216.146.35.35
   nameserver 216.146.36.36
   nameserver 8.8.8.8

root@pbx:/etc $ ping www.henrichs.org
ping: unknown host www.henrichs.org

root@pbx:/etc $ ping 69.64.155.165
64 bytes from 69.64.155.165: icmp_seq=1 ttl=238 time=92.9 ms
64 bytes from 69.64.155.165: icmp_seq=2 ttl=238 time=89.1 ms
64 bytes from 69.64.155.165: icmp_seq=3 ttl=238 time=89.1 ms
64 bytes from 69.64.155.165: icmp_seq=4 ttl=238 time=89.7 ms
64 bytes from 69.64.155.165: icmp_seq=5 ttl=238 time=88.3 ms
64 bytes from 69.64.155.165: icmp_seq=6 ttl=238 time=90.6 ms

--- 69.64.155.165 ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5002ms

root@pbx:/etc $ tracert www.henrichs.org
www.henrichs.org: Temporary failure in name resolution
Cannot handle "host" cmdline arg `www.henrichs.org' on position 1 (argc 1)

root@pbx:/etc $ dig www.henrichs.org

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-16.P1.el5 <<>> www.henrichs.org
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.henrichs.org.              IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.henrichs.org.       3566    IN      CNAME   ehost-services119.com.
ehost-services119.com.  3565    IN      A       69.64.155.165

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
ehost-services119.com.  3565    IN      NS      dns1.name-services.com.
ehost-services119.com.  3565    IN      NS      dns2.name-services.com.
ehost-services119.com.  3565    IN      NS      dns3.name-services.com.
ehost-services119.com.  3565    IN      NS      dns4.name-services.com.
ehost-services119.com.  3565    IN      NS      dns5.name-services.com.

;; Query time: 18 msec
;; SERVER: 216.146.35.35#53(216.146.35.35)
;; WHEN: Wed Jun 22 12:17:53 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 194

root@pbx:/etc $ wget www.henrichs.org
--2011-06-22 12:18:38--  http://www.henrichs.org/
Resolving www.henrichs.org... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
wget: unable to resolve host address `www.henrichs.org'
root@pbx:/etc $ nslookup www.henrichs.org
Server:         216.146.35.35
Address:        216.146.35.35#53

Non-authoritative answer:
www.henrichs.org        canonical name = ehost-services119.com.
Name:   ehost-services119.com
Address: 69.64.155.165

root@pbx:/etc $ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.70.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
169.254.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
default         192.168.70.2    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
root@pbx:/etc $

Re: [CentOS] inconsistent DNS results - ping vs dig vs nslookup

Owen Beckley

What does your "hosts:" entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf look like? Does is
list dns as a source?

Mine looks like this:

hosts:      files dns

--
Owen Beckley

Re: [CentOS] inconsistent DNS results - ping vs dig vs nslookup

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
robert henrichs wrote:
> I am getting what I believe to be inconsistent replies/results from
> my CentOs machine, trying to ping URLs.  Pinging by URL fails the DNS
> lookup, while pinging the IP address (that should have been returned)
> works.  The DNS lookup also fails NSLOOKUP, but interestingly, dig
> and wget return A records with the correct IP.
>
> Robert Henrichs.

wget has *not* returned correct IP! Only nslookup and dig.

First try to use only google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, and if
that does not help, and your only problem is with only that domain, you
will have to contact support where domain is parked, and see is that helps.

Only relevant info is in resolve.conf, there is no need to look at
network configuration if you can ping IP's.

Ljubomir

Re: [CentOS] inconsistent DNS results - ping vs dig vs nslookup

robert henrichs

Thanks All,

   Answering multiple questions:

***
I started off with Google's DNS servers-  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 with
the same results.  The current set were copied off other working
wkstas on the LAN .   Same type results with "ping www.yahoo.com" and
"ping www.yahoo.com".   Just changed it to:   (1) 8.8.4.4   (2)
216.146.36.36   (3) 8.8.8.8

    Rebooted the box, then . . .

root@pbx:~ $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search isp.com
   nameserver 8.8.4.4
   nameserver 216.146.36.36
   nameserver 8.8.8.8
root@pbx:~ $ ping www.henrichs.org
ping: unknown host www.henrichs.org
root@pbx:~ $ ping www.yahoo.com
ping: unknown host www.yahoo.com
root@pbx:~ $ ping yahoo.com
ping: unknown host yahoo.com
root@pbx:~ $ ping microsoft.com
ping: unknown host microsoft.com
root@pbx:~ $ ping lilug.org
ping: unknown host lilug.org
root@pbx:~ $ ping centos.org
ping: unknown host centos.org
root@pbx:~ $

   what's a good link to read about how the resolv.conf file is
constructed?  esp. the "search" entry?

***
This was part of the wget response:
www.henrichs.org        canonical name = ehost-services119.com.
Name:   ehost-services119.com
Address: 69.64.155.165

Doesn't the "address: Address: 69.64.155.165" indicate a correct result?

***
My nsswitch.conf file does contain:
  hosts:      files dns
(this is an interesting file I'll have to revisit...thanks).

***

It was suggested off-list that I show "the contents of
/etc/resolv.conf and a little history on your ifcfg-ethx files in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/"

     Here is /etc/resolv.conf:
root@pbx:/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search isp.com
   nameserver 216.146.35.35
   nameserver 216.146.36.36
   nameserver 8.8.8.8
root@pbx:/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts $

     Here are the files in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory:
root@pbx:/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts $ ls
ifcfg-eth0   ifdown-ippp   ifdown-ppp     ifup          ifup-ib
ifup-isdn   ifup-routes    init.ipv6-global
ifcfg-lo     ifdown-ipsec  ifdown-routes  ifup-aliases  ifup-ippp
ifup-plip   ifup-sit       net.hotplug
ifdown       ifdown-ipv6   ifdown-sit     ifup-bnep     ifup-ipsec
ifup-plusb  ifup-sl        network-functions
ifdown-bnep  ifdown-isdn   ifdown-sl      ifup-eth      ifup-ipv6
ifup-post   ifup-tunnel    network-functions-ipv6
ifdown-eth   ifdown-post   ifdown-tunnel  ifup-hdlc     ifup-ipx
ifup-ppp    ifup-wireless
root@pbx:/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts $

    Here is the contents of the ifcfg-eth0 file:

At 12:42 PM 6/22/2011, you wrote:

>robert henrichs wrote:
> > I am getting what I believe to be inconsistent replies/results from
> > my CentOs machine, trying to ping URLs.  Pinging by URL fails the DNS
> > lookup, while pinging the IP address (that should have been returned)
> > works.  The DNS lookup also fails NSLOOKUP, but interestingly, dig
> > and wget return A records with the correct IP.
> >
> > Robert Henrichs.
> >
>wget has *not* returned correct IP! Only nslookup and dig.
>
>First try to use only google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, and if
>that does not help, and your only problem is with only that domain, you
>will have to contact support where domain is parked, and see is that helps.
>
>Only relevant info is in resolve.conf, there is no need to look at
>network configuration if you can ping IP's.
>
>Ljubomir

Re: [CentOS] inconsistent DNS results - ping vs dig vs nslookup

Ryan Ivey

  what's a good link to read about how the resolv.conf file is
constructed?  esp. the "search" entry?

man resolv.conf

***
This was part of the wget response:
www.henrichs.org        canonical name = ehost-services119.com.
Name:   ehost-services119.com
Address: 69.64.155.165

Doesn't the "address: Address: 69.64.155.165" indicate a correct result?

That's the response from nslookup, not wget.

How is this server connected to the Internet?  Sounds like something is blocking domain port 53.

Re: [CentOS] inconsistent DNS results - ping vs dig vs nslookup

Les Mikesell
On 6/22/2011 3:30 PM, Robert Henrichs wrote:

>     what's a good link to read about how the resolv.conf file is
> constructed?  esp. the "search" entry?

The 'search' should only apply if you don't supply the domain portion of
the name.  Each nameserver address should be queried until one responds.

> ***
> My nsswitch.conf file does contain:
>    hosts:      files dns
> (this is an interesting file I'll have to revisit...thanks).

The part that doesn't make sense yet is that your dns is working as
shown by the dig/nslookup queries, but ping/wget are failing to look up
the name.  You might get random success/failure if some of the
nameservers in resolv.conf are misconfigured.  Seems like a long shot
but try:
dig @server_address www.henrichs.org
for each of the namesever addresses, then maybe
strace ping www.henrichs.org
and wade through the output to see if it has trouble loading the
resolver library or something.

--
   Les Mikesell

12