[CentOS] CentOS 7 + HPLIP = blank page

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[CentOS] CentOS 7 + HPLIP = blank page

Nicolas Kovacs
Hi,

I just installed CentOS 7 + KDE on a new workstation in my office. I
tried to setup my printer, but the test page is blank. Here's some details.

The printer is an HP OfficeJet 8600 Pro. It works perfectly with all
other desktop clients running Slackware Linux and HPLIP.

I installed hplip and hplip-gui, launched HP Toolbox and then setup the
printer - a network printer - which is mainly a matter of confirming OK,
OK, OK.

The printer shows up OK in HP Toolbox, but when I try to print a test
page, the printer ejects a blank page, that's it.

Which leaves me clueless.

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs
--
Microlinux - Solutions informatiques durables
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : [hidden email]
Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [CentOS] CentOS 7 + HPLIP = blank page

m.roth
Nicolas Kovacs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed CentOS 7 + KDE on a new workstation in my office. I
> tried to setup my printer, but the test page is blank. Here's some
> details.
>
> The printer is an HP OfficeJet 8600 Pro. It works perfectly with all
> other desktop clients running Slackware Linux and HPLIP.
>
> I installed hplip and hplip-gui, launched HP Toolbox and then setup the
> printer - a network printer - which is mainly a matter of confirming OK,
> OK, OK.
>
> The printer shows up OK in HP Toolbox, but when I try to print a test
> page, the printer ejects a blank page, that's it.
>
> Which leaves me clueless.
>
Is there a .ppd for the printer in /etc/cups/ppd? Or is there a CUPS print
server on another system (we have all ours basically go through one
server).

     mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [CentOS] CentOS 7 + HPLIP = blank page

Nicolas Kovacs
Le 21/04/2017 à 17:32, [hidden email] a écrit :
> Is there a .ppd for the printer in /etc/cups/ppd? Or is there a CUPS print
> server on another system (we have all ours basically go through one
> server).

# ls /etc/cups/ppd/
Officejet_Pro_8600.ppd

This is a network-attached printer. All other desktop clients
(Slackware) have CUPS + HPLIP running and can print and scan. Only the
CentOS client refuses to work as expected.

Hmmm.

--
Microlinux - Solutions informatiques durables
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : [hidden email]
Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [CentOS] CentOS 7 + HPLIP = blank page

m.roth
Nicolas Kovacs wrote:

> Le 21/04/2017 à 17:32, [hidden email] a écrit :
>> Is there a .ppd for the printer in /etc/cups/ppd? Or is there a CUPS
>> print server on another system (we have all ours basically go through one
>> server).
>
> # ls /etc/cups/ppd/
> Officejet_Pro_8600.ppd
>
> This is a network-attached printer. All other desktop clients
> (Slackware) have CUPS + HPLIP running and can print and scan. Only the
> CentOS client refuses to work as expected.
>
Firewall open on the port... no, you said it sends some signal, since it
prints out a blank page. And CUPS on your box is configured to understand
the printer, right?

    mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [CentOS] CentOS 7 + HPLIP = blank page

Nicolas Kovacs
Le 21/04/2017 à 18:44, [hidden email] a écrit :
> Firewall open on the port... no, you said it sends some signal, since it
> prints out a blank page. And CUPS on your box is configured to understand
> the printer, right?

I have a few sandbox machines in this office, so I experimented some
more, and here's what I found.

1. Vanilla installation of CentOS 7 + GNOME = works fine

2. Custom installation of CentOS 7 with KDE = prints blank page

So I guess the RHEL maintainers forgot a little dependency somewhere.

By the way, when I print from the KDE client, a peek in /var/log/cups/*
shows me that everything is fine, even though the printer printed a
blank page.

So... printer ejecting blank paper, CUPS thinking everything's OK, what
package might be missing?

Cheers,

Niki

--
Microlinux - Solutions informatiques durables
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : [hidden email]
Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [CentOS] CentOS 7 + HPLIP = blank page

Nicolas Kovacs
In reply to this post by m.roth
Le 21/04/2017 à 18:44, [hidden email] a écrit :
> Firewall open on the port... no, you said it sends some signal, since it
> prints out a blank page. And CUPS on your box is configured to understand
> the printer, right?

[Much later.]

I just spent a few unnerving hours, and I found the solution.

The printer was working all along, as it seems. The only thing that's
buggy is the "Print Test Page" button in HP-Toolbox, which produces a
blank page. All other stuff like PDF documents works fine.

Cheers,

Niki

--
Microlinux - Solutions informatiques durables
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : [hidden email]
Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [CentOS] CentOS 7 + HPLIP = blank page

Nicolas Kovacs
In reply to this post by m.roth
Le 21/04/2017 à 18:44, [hidden email] a écrit :
> Firewall open on the port... no, you said it sends some signal, since it
> prints out a blank page. And CUPS on your box is configured to understand
> the printer, right?

After I figured it out, I wrote a detailed blog post about the subject.

http://blog.microlinux.fr/hplip-centos/

Cheers,

Niki

PS: on a side note, I wanted to discuss this subject on the CentOS
Facebook group, but got blocked by their admin who seems to be the local
pet autocrat. Links to CentOS-specific blog posts are disallowed as well
as technical questions, so I wonder what this group is good for.
Probably discussing the weather while running CentOS...

--
Microlinux - Solutions informatiques durables
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : [hidden email]
Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [CentOS] CentOS 7 + HPLIP = blank page

Darr247
> PS: on a side note, I wanted to discuss this subject on the CentOS Facebook group,
>  but got blocked by their admin who seems to be the local pet autocrat.

Try centos.org/forums instead.

I tend to avoid wiki sites to which I'm not allowed to contribute; maybe you'd feel like jumping through their hoops, though.
i.e. see item 3 at wiki.centos.org/Contribute

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [CentOS] CentOS 7 + HPLIP = blank page

Nicolas Kovacs
Le 22/04/2017 à 16:25, Darr247 a écrit :
> Try centos.org/forums instead.
>
> I tend to avoid wiki sites to which I'm not allowed to contribute;
> maybe you'd feel like jumping through their hoops, though. i.e. see
> item 3 at wiki.centos.org/Contribute

As far as I understand, the CentOS mailing list is this distribution's
primary form of communication. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Niki

--
Microlinux - Solutions informatiques durables
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : [hidden email]
Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [CentOS] CentOS 7 + HPLIP = blank page

Darr247
Hmmmm...  /non sequitur/

My suggestion was an alternative to the facebork page cited.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Nicolas Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 22/04/2017 à 16:25, Darr247 a écrit :
> > Try centos.org/forums instead.
> >
> > I tend to avoid wiki sites to which I'm not allowed to contribute;
> > maybe you'd feel like jumping through their hoops, though. i.e. see
> > item 3 at wiki.centos.org/Contribute
>
> As far as I understand, the CentOS mailing list is this distribution's
> primary form of communication. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Niki
>
> --
> Microlinux - Solutions informatiques durables
> 7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
> Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr
> Mail : [hidden email]
> Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos