[CentOS] Compiling PHP and MySQL

Dvorkin, Asya
Hi everyone,

I need to install an older version of PHP - 5.2.16, which is not currently available through an official CentOS repo (as far as I can tell).

In order to fulfill our developer's requirements, I've decided to just compile  PHP and MySql from the source.

Is there a way to find out what are the usual configure options that are used to compile binaries that are available through yum?

Thank you!
Asya

Re: [CentOS] Compiling PHP and MySQL

Athmane Madjoudj
On 06/13/2011 05:59 PM, Dvorkin, Asya wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I need to install an older version of PHP - 5.2.16, which is not currently available through an official CentOS repo (as far as I can tell).
>
> In order to fulfill our developer's requirements, I've decided to just compile  PHP and MySql from the source.
>
> Is there a way to find out what are the usual configure options that are used to compile binaries that are available through yum?

CentOS testing[1][2] repo (for C5) has php-5.2.3 to php-5.2.10, also
CentOS 5.6 has php-5.3.x

[1] http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/CentOS-Testing.repo
[2] http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/i386/RPMS/

HTH
--
Athmane Madjoudj

Re: [CentOS] Compiling PHP and MySQL

Eero Volotinen
2011/6/13 Dvorkin, Asya <[hidden email]>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I need to install an older version of PHP - 5.2.16, which is not currently available through an official CentOS repo (as far as I can tell).
>
> In order to fulfill our developer's requirements, I've decided to just compile  PHP and MySql from the source.
>
> Is there a way to find out what are the usual configure options that are used to compile binaries that are available through yum?

iuscommunity* repo also provides latest php and mysql-server versions.

http://iuscommunity.org/

--
Eero

On 06/13/2011 06:04 PM, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:

> On 06/13/2011 05:59 PM, Dvorkin, Asya wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I need to install an older version of PHP - 5.2.16, which is not
>> currently available through an official CentOS repo (as far as I can
>> tell).
>>
>> In order to fulfill our developer's requirements, I've decided to just
>> compile PHP and MySql from the source.
>>
>> Is there a way to find out what are the usual configure options that
>> are used to compile binaries that are available through yum?
>>

> CentOS testing[1][2] repo (for C5) has php-5.2.3 to php-5.2.10, also
> CentOS 5.6 has php-5.3.x
>
> [1] http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/CentOS-Testing.repo
> [2] http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/i386/RPMS/
>
> HTH

Be aware php-5.2.x in testing is old and has some security issues, you
should consider using php53 from CentOS repo (5.6+) or php52 form IUS
Community repo [1]

[1] http://iuscommunity.org/Repos

--
Athmane Madjoudj

On Jun 13, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:

2011/6/13 Dvorkin, Asya <[hidden email]>:
Hi everyone,

I need to install an older version of PHP - 5.2.16, which is not currently available through an official CentOS repo (as far as I can tell).

In order to fulfill our developer's requirements, I've decided to just compile  PHP and MySql from the source.

Is there a way to find out what are the usual configure options that are used to compile binaries that are available through yum?

iuscommunity* repo also provides latest php and mysql-server versions.

http://iuscommunity.org/

Thank you.  I've been to this website, but it has php52-5.2.17-1.ius.el5.x86_64

I need 5.2.16....

Thank you,
Asya

Re: [CentOS] Compiling PHP and MySQL

Alexander Dalloz
Am 13.06.2011 19:12, schrieb Dvorkin, Asya:

> http://iuscommunity.org/
>
> Thank you.  I've been to this website, but it has php52-5.2.17-1.ius.el5.x86_64<http://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/stable/Redhat/5/x86_64/php52-5.2.17-1.ius.el5.x86_64.rpm>
>
> I need 5.2.16....
>
> Thank you,
> Asya

http://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/archive/Redhat/5/x86_64/

Using older version may affect your system's security!

Alexander

Re: [CentOS] Compiling PHP and MySQL

Eero Volotinen
2011/6/13 Dvorkin, Asya <[hidden email]>:

> On Jun 13, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
>
> 2011/6/13 Dvorkin, Asya <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I need to install an older version of PHP - 5.2.16, which is not currently
> available through an official CentOS repo (as far as I can tell).
>
> In order to fulfill our developer's requirements, I've decided to just
> compile  PHP and MySql from the source.
>
> Is there a way to find out what are the usual configure options that are
> used to compile binaries that are available through yum?
>
> iuscommunity* repo also provides latest php and mysql-server versions.
>
> http://iuscommunity.org/
>
> Thank you.  I've been to this website, but it
> has php52-5.2.17-1.ius.el5.x86_64
> I need 5.2.16....

why? Usually .17 works same way as 16. only minor bug/security fixes..

--
Eero

On Jun 13, 2011, at 1:26 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:

2011/6/13 Dvorkin, Asya <[hidden email]>:

On Jun 13, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:

2011/6/13 Dvorkin, Asya <[hidden email]>:

Hi everyone,

I need to install an older version of PHP - 5.2.16, which is not currently
available through an official CentOS repo (as far as I can tell).

In order to fulfill our developer's requirements, I've decided to just
compile  PHP and MySql from the source.

Is there a way to find out what are the usual configure options that are
used to compile binaries that are available through yum?

iuscommunity* repo also provides latest php and mysql-server versions.

http://iuscommunity.org/

Thank you.  I've been to this website, but it
has php52-5.2.17-1.ius.el5.x86_64
I need 5.2.16....

why? Usually .17 works same way as 16. only minor bug/security fixes..

This is from CentOS website:

'IUS is a new third party repo for RHEL that provides the "latest upstream versions of PHP, Python, MySQL". It is sponsored by internal work at Rackspace (but officially unsupported).' See their Wiki Client Usage Guideto install the ius-release package to configure the repo.

Caution is suggested in using this repo as it will replace core packages. See also their FAQ which frankly discusses pros and cons.

I am not sure if I want to use it in a production environment....

Asya

Re: [CentOS] Compiling PHP and MySQL

John R. Dennison
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 01:47:31PM -0400, Dvorkin, Asya wrote:

> I am not sure if I want to use it in a production environment....

Please trim unnecessary material from your responses.  Thank you.

IUS is the community repo for RackSpace; this is the same repo and repo
components that they use for their own customers in their hosting
configurations.  This repo is in use by _many_ people, not only
RackSpace customers but by the general EL public, including myself.

At this stage of the game I would not consider using any other source
for PHP kit, including the mess that is known as php53 that CentOS
ships as an optional package (note: problems originate upstream and not
with the CentOS project proper).  As far as that in c5-testing... that
php-5.2 release should, quite frankly, be yanked as it's ridiculously
out of date and full of known security issues.

PHP 5.2.16 also has _known_ security issues; you are doing a disservice to
your client if you do not point this fact out to them and kindly tell
them that 5.2.17 is mandatory.  Contrary to popular belief clients are
not always right.

                                                        John

> Asya

DMR: So fsck was originally called something else.
Q: What was it called?
DMR: Well, the second letter was different.

-- Dennis M. Ritchie, Usenix, June 18, 1998.

On Jun 13, 2011, at 2:32 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:

[...]

Thank you very much for an excellent response.  I called our developer and he agreed to go with 5.2.17.

I will be using IUS repo to install it..

Thank you!
Asya

Re: [CentOS] Compiling PHP and MySQL

John Doe
From: "Dvorkin, Asya" <[hidden email]>

> Is there a way to find out what are the usual configure options that are used to
> compile binaries that are available through yum?

php -i | grep configure
or check from the srpm...

JD

On Jun 14, 2011, at 9:40 AM, John Doe wrote:

> From: "Dvorkin, Asya" <[hidden email]>
>
>> Is there a way to find out what are the usual configure options that are used to
>> compile binaries that are available through yum?
>
> php -i | grep configure
> or check from the srpm...

Thank you, John.  This is very useful to know.

Asya

Re: [CentOS] Compiling PHP and MySQL

John R Pierce
On 06/14/11 1:10 PM, Dvorkin, Asya wrote:
>>> Is there a way to find out what are the usual configure options that are used to
>> >
>> >  php -i | grep configure
>> >  or check from the srpm...
> Thank you, John.  This is very useful to know.

I would suggest using the SRPMS and rpmbuild after modifying the spec
file to reference the php/mysql source tarballs of your choice.   if you
start with SRPMs that are close to the version you want, it will be that
much easier.

this way your custom php/mysql are packaged as RPMs so they will coexist
nicely with the rest of the system.

--
john r pierce                            N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca                         mid-left coast