[CentOS] Config file semantics.

12

[CentOS] Config file semantics.

Mike A. Harris
Personally, I find that indenting config files by 3 spaces has a lot of
advantages to indenting them by 4 spaces although conventional wisdom
might suggest otherwise.  Who's with me on this?

Re: [CentOS] Config file semantics.

John R. Dennison
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 04:41:44PM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Personally, I find that indenting config files by 3 spaces has a lot of
> advantages to indenting them by 4 spaces although conventional wisdom
> might suggest otherwise.  Who's with me on this?

I'm fully capable of driving to Canada to set you on fire, Mike.

                                                        John

--
"Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies non-conformity; and
non-conformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty -- so obviously

Re: [CentOS] Config file semantics.

m.roth
Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Personally, I find that indenting config files by 3 spaces has a lot of
> advantages to indenting them by 4 spaces although conventional wisdom
> might suggest otherwise.  Who's with me on this?

Indentation wars. I don't *think* there was a usenet newsgroup for that....

      mark, prefers 3 anyway

Re: [CentOS] Config file semantics.

Steve Thompson
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, [hidden email] wrote:

> Mike A. Harris wrote:
>> Personally, I find that indenting config files by 3 spaces has a lot of
>> advantages to indenting them by 4 spaces although conventional wisdom
>> might suggest otherwise.  Who's with me on this?
>
> Indentation wars. I don't *think* there was a usenet newsgroup for that....

It's four, unless I'm holding a beer. Then it's 2.

Steve

Re: [CentOS] Config file semantics.

Cody Jackson
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 04:41:44PM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Personally, I find that indenting config files by 3 spaces has a lot of
> advantages to indenting them by 4 spaces although conventional wisdom
> might suggest otherwise.  Who's with me on this?

I prefer two or four, usually two. Three is extremely disturbing to me
because it is not a multiple of two; in addition, due to the potato
incident as a child, I am forever mentally scarred and incapable of
pressing the spacebar three times without recalling the tangy,
nauseating smell of potato salad. Two or four shall be the number of
spaces in my config files. Three is right out, as is five.

Cheers,
Cody Jackson

Cody Jackson wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 04:41:44PM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>> Personally, I find that indenting config files by 3 spaces has a lot of
>> advantages to indenting them by 4 spaces although conventional wisdom
>> might suggest otherwise.  Who's with me on this?
>
> I prefer two or four, usually two. Three is extremely disturbing to me
> because it is not a multiple of two; in addition, due to the potato
> incident as a child, I am forever mentally scarred and incapable of
> pressing the spacebar three times without recalling the tangy,
> nauseating smell of potato salad. Two or four shall be the number of
> spaces in my config files. Three is right out, as is five.

Five, it goes BOOM, and, being bad in Thy Sight, will buy it.

        mark

> Cheers,
> Cody Jackson
>
> On 6/15/11, Steve Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Indentation wars. I don't *think* there was a usenet newsgroup for
>>> that....
>>
>> It's four, unless I'm holding a beer. Then it's 2.
>>
>> Steve

Re: [CentOS] Config file semantics.

Paul Heinlein
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, [hidden email] wrote:

> Five, it goes BOOM, and, being bad in Thy Sight, will buy it.
>
>        mark

Hey, look! It's the old admin from scene 24...

--
Paul Heinlein <> [hidden email] <> http://www.madboa.com/

Re: [CentOS] Config file semantics.

Les Mikesell
On 6/15/2011 3:41 PM, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Personally, I find that indenting config files by 3 spaces has a lot of
> advantages to indenting them by 4 spaces although conventional wisdom
> might suggest otherwise.  Who's with me on this?

White space should be meaningless, but unnecessary changes to existing
files destroy most intelligent attempts to track differences.

--
   Les Mikesell

Re: [CentOS] Config file semantics.

Keith Keller
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 02:23:29PM -0700, Cody Jackson wrote:

> I prefer two or four, usually two. Three is extremely disturbing to me
> because it is not a multiple of two

I am constantly frustrated by being limited to a whole number of spaces.
What if I want pi spaces?  Or e*i?

--keith

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Keith Keller wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 02:23:29PM -0700, Cody Jackson wrote:
>>
>> I prefer two or four, usually two. Three is extremely disturbing to me
>> because it is not a multiple of two
>
> I am constantly frustrated by being limited to a whole number of spaces.
> What if I want pi spaces?  Or e*i?

You can get e^(i*pi) spaces with the BS key.

Re: [CentOS] Config file semantics.

Patrick Lists
On 06/15/2011 10:41 PM, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Personally, I find that indenting config files by 3 spaces has a lot of
> advantages to indenting them by 4 spaces although conventional wisdom
> might suggest otherwise.  Who's with me on this?

Three is evil, four even more. Two spaces and what do they say? It will
keep sanity close and evil at bay. Three won't work, we all know she's a
jerk. Four is a fail, it's missing a two so can never be the grail. Just
two FTW! Anything more is just a deadly sin.

Regards,
Patrick

Re: [CentOS] Config file semantics.

Brunner, Brian T.
[hidden email] wrote:

> On 06/15/2011 10:41 PM, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>> Personally, I find that indenting config files by 3 spaces has a lot
>> of advantages to indenting them by 4 spaces although conventional
>> wisdom might suggest otherwise.  Who's with me on this?
>
> Three is evil, four even more. Two spaces and what do they say? It
> will keep sanity close and evil at bay. Three won't work, we all know
> she's a jerk. Four is a fail, it's missing a two so can never be the
> grail. Just two FTW! Anything more is just a deadly sin.
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

In .vimrc
:set sw=4
:set ai
In .bashrc
alias diff='diff -bw'

Hands everybody but OP a beer.
Offers John R Dennison a gallon of gasoline to apply to OP
Said gallon of gasoline has a pound of styrofoam dissolved in...

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

//me

Re: [CentOS] Config file semantics.

Roy Trubshaw
Brian T Brunner wrote:.

[Snipped]

> In .vimrc
> :set sw=4
> :set ai
> In .bashrc
> alias diff='diff -bw'

Personally I like:
alias diff='diff -bBiw'

YMMV

Toodles,
Roy

Re: [CentOS] Config file semantics.

Devin Reade
--On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 02:52:22 PM -0700 Keith Keller
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am constantly frustrated by being limited to a whole number of spaces.
> What if I want pi spaces?  Or e*i?

I would like to introduce other space operators as well.  For example,
we could use d(space)/dt to not only have spaces in our config file,
but indicate how quickly we typed them.

Imagine the possibilities:

  - Do you want your whitespace to also indicate the number of
    configuration parameters?  There's a lim(sigma(space) sub (w->infinity))
    for that

  - Tired of typing all those spaces? Just use M-x dirac-delta-space
    and you're done.  (Mind you, it removes all other spaces from all
    other config files on your system and puts them into the current file,
    so you might have to be careful when invoking it.)

  - How about bra and ket space operators for those days when you're
    not sure if you want spaces or not, and want to defer the answer
    until someone reads the file?

(Devin wanders off to code up the lisp for emacs' M-x laplacian-space-mode
...)

Devin Reade wrote:

> --On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 02:52:22 PM -0700 Keith Keller
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am constantly frustrated by being limited to a whole number of spaces.
>> What if I want pi spaces?  Or e*i?
>
> I would like to introduce other space operators as well.  For example,
> we could use d(space)/dt to not only have spaces in our config file,
> but indicate how quickly we typed them.
>
> Imagine the possibilities:
>
>   - Do you want your whitespace to also indicate the number of
>     configuration parameters?  There's a lim(sigma(space) sub
> (w->infinity))
>     for that
>
>   - Tired of typing all those spaces? Just use M-x dirac-delta-space
>     and you're done.  (Mind you, it removes all other spaces from all
<snip>
Minkowski space?

          mark

--On Friday, June 17, 2011 02:27:22 PM -0400 [hidden email] wrote:

> Minkowski space?

Sure.  I'll implement M-x minkowski-space-mode as soon as I
get 'elsewhere' (in Minkowski terms, that is).

Devin

Devin Reade wrote:
> --On Friday, June 17, 2011 02:27:22 PM -0400 [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Minkowski space?
>
> Sure.  I'll implement M-x minkowski-space-mode as soon as I
> get 'elsewhere' (in Minkowski terms, that is).

You're sure that's not a vim option?

        mark

Kirk: Warp 5, Scotty!
Scotty: We're shovelin' as fast as we can, captain!

Goddamn dnsorbs! Two bounces....

On 6/17/2011 2:02 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Devin Reade wrote:
>> --On Friday, June 17, 2011 02:27:22 PM -0400 [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Minkowski space?
>>
>> Sure.  I'll implement M-x minkowski-space-mode as soon as I
>> get 'elsewhere' (in Minkowski terms, that is).
>>
> You're sure that's not a vim option?

No, only emacs has commands like Meta-X psychoanalyze-pinhead.
Seriously - that's a real command installed on millions of computers for
decades.  Try it.

--
   Les Mikesell

Les Mikesell wrote:

>> Devin Reade wrote:

>>> Sure.  I'll implement M-x minkowski-space-mode as soon as I
>>> get 'elsewhere' (in Minkowski terms, that is).
>>>
>> You're sure that's not a vim option?
>
> No, only emacs has commands like Meta-X psychoanalyze-pinhead.
> Seriously - that's a real command installed on millions of computers for
> decades.  Try it.

I know how to get in, and out, of emacs. Did you see yesterday's XKCD?

But... plaease don't tell me that emacs comes with eliza....

        mark

On 6/17/2011 2:36 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>>> You're sure that's not a vim option?
>>
>> No, only emacs has commands like Meta-X psychoanalyze-pinhead.
>> Seriously - that's a real command installed on millions of computers for
>> decades.  Try it.
>
> I know how to get in, and out, of emacs. Did you see yesterday's XKCD?

No, but that is funny.

> But... plaease don't tell me that emacs comes with eliza....

Yes - and then some. You need something to waste those cycles that you
save by running awk instead of perl.

--
   Les Mikesell
12