[CentOS] Firefox 5 on Centos 5.6

fred smith
I've been running Firefox 4 on Centos 5 (had to find a libstdc++.so.6 for
it by perusing newer systems from which I could steal one, but it's been
fine since then).

Well, today firefox pushed down an update to Firefox 4.0.1 without saying
what it was, and it turns out to have been firefox 5. fine, I wanted it
anyway.

But when I restarted it, I got a completely black browser window. Clicked
on the X close button and got a completely black confirmation dialog.
weird.

exited it and tried safe mode. Works fine.

ldd reports no conflicts or missing libraries.

anybody else seen this? anyone got suggestions on what I should try next?

Thanks!

--
---- Fred Smith -- [hidden email] -----------------------------
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked

Re: [CentOS] Firefox 5 on Centos 5.6

Lucian
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM, fred smith
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> anybody else seen this? anyone got suggestions on what I should try next?

Try to disable all the extensions and see if it helps. If it does then
enable them back one by one until you find the guilty one.

Re: [CentOS] Firefox 5 on Centos 5.6

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
fred smith wrote:

> I've been running Firefox 4 on Centos 5 (had to find a libstdc++.so.6 for
> it by perusing newer systems from which I could steal one, but it's been
> fine since then).
>
> Well, today firefox pushed down an update to Firefox 4.0.1 without saying
> what it was, and it turns out to have been firefox 5. fine, I wanted it
> anyway.
>
> But when I restarted it, I got a completely black browser window. Clicked
> on the X close button and got a completely black confirmation dialog.
> weird.
>
> exited it and tried safe mode. Works fine.
>
> ldd reports no conflicts or missing libraries.
>
> anybody else seen this? anyone got suggestions on what I should try next?
>
> Thanks!

My guess is that you compiled from source, and that is not something
(vast majority of) CentOS users do, so I would not hold my breath that
anyone uses Firefox 4 on CentOS 5.x.

Just return to 4.0 and you should be fine, I guess.

Ljubomir

Re: [CentOS] Firefox 5 on Centos 5.6

Lars Hecking
fred smith writes:
> I've been running Firefox 4 on Centos 5 (had to find a libstdc++.so.6 for
> it by perusing newer systems from which I could steal one, but it's been
> fine since then).

 Is that 64-bit, and did you ever get flash to work? Doesn't work here,
 although the same flash plugin works fine with the standard 3.6 browser.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:46:09AM +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> fred smith wrote:
> > I've been running Firefox 4 on Centos 5 (had to find a libstdc++.so.6 for
> > it by perusing newer systems from which I could steal one, but it's been
> > fine since then).
> >
> > Well, today firefox pushed down an update to Firefox 4.0.1 without saying
> > what it was, and it turns out to have been firefox 5. fine, I wanted it
> > anyway.
> >
> > But when I restarted it, I got a completely black browser window. Clicked
> > on the X close button and got a completely black confirmation dialog.
> > weird.
> >
> > exited it and tried safe mode. Works fine.
> >
> > ldd reports no conflicts or missing libraries.
> >
> > anybody else seen this? anyone got suggestions on what I should try next?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> My guess is that you compiled from source, and that is not something
> (vast majority of) CentOS users do, so I would not hold my breath that
> anyone uses Firefox 4 on CentOS 5.x.
>
> Just return to 4.0 and you should be fine, I guess.

Actually, no. it's the binaries from mozilla.org, though. firefox 4
did the update itself, again using the mozilla.org binaries.
--
---- Fred Smith -- [hidden email] -----------------------------
                       I can do all things through Christ

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:35:36PM +0100, Lucian wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM, fred smith
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > anybody else seen this? anyone got suggestions on what I should try next?
>
> Try to disable all the extensions and see if it helps. If it does then
> enable them back one by one until you find the guilty one.

well, it starts in safe mod4e with all add-ons disabled. but how can I
disable them so I can start it without safe-mode? if I can't run it without
safe mode then I can't disable add-ons. or at least I don't know how.

fred smith wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:46:09AM +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> fred smith wrote:
>>> I've been running Firefox 4 on Centos 5 (had to find a libstdc++.so.6 for
>>> it by perusing newer systems from which I could steal one, but it's been
>>> fine since then).
>>>
>>> Well, today firefox pushed down an update to Firefox 4.0.1 without saying
>>> what it was, and it turns out to have been firefox 5. fine, I wanted it
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> But when I restarted it, I got a completely black browser window. Clicked
>>> on the X close button and got a completely black confirmation dialog.
>>> weird.
>>>
>>> exited it and tried safe mode. Works fine.
>>>
>>> ldd reports no conflicts or missing libraries.
>>>
>>> anybody else seen this? anyone got suggestions on what I should try next?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>> My guess is that you compiled from source, and that is not something
>> (vast majority of) CentOS users do, so I would not hold my breath that
>> anyone uses Firefox 4 on CentOS 5.x.
>>
>> Just return to 4.0 and you should be fine, I guess.
>
> Actually, no. it's the binaries from mozilla.org, though. firefox 4
> did the update itself, again using the mozilla.org binaries.

libstdc++.so.6 is a part of gcc libraries. I would like to have Firefox
4/5, but not at the cost of messing with the core part of my system.

Ljubomir

Re: [CentOS] Firefox 5 on Centos 5.6

James A. Peltier

| >> My guess is that you compiled from source, and that is not
| >> something
| >> (vast majority of) CentOS users do, so I would not hold my breath
| >> that
| >> anyone uses Firefox 4 on CentOS 5.x.
| >>
| >> Just return to 4.0 and you should be fine, I guess.
| >
| > Actually, no. it's the binaries from mozilla.org, though. firefox 4
| > did the update itself, again using the mozilla.org binaries.
|
| libstdc++.so.6 is a part of gcc libraries. I would like to have
| Firefox
| 4/5, but not at the cost of messing with the core part of my system.
|
| Ljubomir

There is the libsdc++-4.1.2-50.el5 package and the gcc44 packages, both can be installed without messing with the core system

--
James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:56:14PM +0100, Lars Hecking wrote:
> fred smith writes:
> > I've been running Firefox 4 on Centos 5 (had to find a libstdc++.so.6 for
> > it by perusing newer systems from which I could steal one, but it's been
> > fine since then).
>
>  Is that 64-bit, and did you ever get flash to work? Doesn't work here,
>  although the same flash plugin works fine with the standard 3.6 browser.

no, I'm still using a 32-bit version of Centos at this time.

--
---- Fred Smith -- [hidden email] -----------------------------
                        The Lord is like a strong tower.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 01:18:38AM +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> fred smith wrote:

> >> My guess is that you compiled from source, and that is not something
> >> (vast majority of) CentOS users do, so I would not hold my breath that
> >> anyone uses Firefox 4 on CentOS 5.x.
> >>
> >> Just return to 4.0 and you should be fine, I guess.
> >
> > Actually, no. it's the binaries from mozilla.org, though. firefox 4
> > did the update itself, again using the mozilla.org binaries.
>
> libstdc++.so.6 is a part of gcc libraries. I would like to have Firefox
> 4/5, but not at the cost of messing with the core part of my system.

Just put a copy of it in a separate subdirectory. In my case, I
unpacked the mozilla download of firefox in my own personal space
and added the libstdcc++.so.6 to the same directory that has all the
firefox-included libraries. no other app sees it there, just firefox.

--
---- Fred Smith -- [hidden email] -----------------------------
                         While we were still sinners,

fred smith wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:35:36PM +0100, Lucian wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM, fred smith
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> anybody else seen this? anyone got suggestions on what I should try next?
>> Try to disable all the extensions and see if it helps. If it does then
>> enable them back one by one until you find the guilty one.
>
> well, it starts in safe mod4e with all add-ons disabled. but how can I
> disable them so I can start it without safe-mode? if I can't run it without
> safe mode then I can't disable add-ons. or at least I don't know how.

Can't you open add-on window in safe mode and click on the disable button?

Ljubomir

James A. Peltier wrote:

> There is the libsdc++-4.1.2-50.el5 package and the gcc44 packages, both can be installed without messing with the core system

Yes there is, but it does not provide (GLIBCXX_3.4.9), only up to
(GLIBCXX_3.4.8). Closest (GLIBCXX_3.4.9) is for Fedora 10, little to far
for my taste.

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/15703005/dir/centos_5/com/libstdc++-4.1.2-50.el5.x86_64.rpm.html

Ljubomir

Re: [CentOS] Firefox 5 on Centos 5.6

Mike Hanby
What if you try:

mv ~/.mozilla

start firefox5 and see if it works, if it does, then restore your .mozilla and figure what the offending extension / plugin is.

Mike

sorry

mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.orig

grace rante
I'm able to run firefox5_x64 on my Centos 5.6 system.

* Download libstdc++-4.3.0-8.x86_64.rpm to /tmp

* cd /tmp ; cpio -idv  libstdc++-4.3.0-8.x86_64.rpm | cpio -i
--make-directories

Copy contents of unpacked libraries:
* cp /tmp/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6* /path/to/firefox5_x64/

Run firefox
* /path/to/firefox5_x64/firefox