[CentOS] Firefox for CentOS

Johnny Hughes-2
I am currently building the latest Firefox updates and I have noticed
that they have upgraded the CentOS-7 Firefox from the ESR tree (45.8) to
the mainline tree (Currently firefox-52.0).  They have left EL5 and EL6
at the ESR level (45.8.0-2).

EL7:
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0461.html

EL5 and EL6:
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0459.html

As stated above, I am currently building and testing these, so they are
not yet released .. just preparing people for the changes.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Re: [CentOS] Firefox for CentOS

Leon Fauster
> Am 08.03.2017 um 15:40 schrieb Johnny Hughes <[hidden email]>:
>
> I am currently building the latest Firefox updates and I have noticed
> that they have upgraded the CentOS-7 Firefox from the ESR tree (45.8) to
> the mainline tree (Currently firefox-52.0).  They have left EL5 and EL6
> at the ESR level (45.8.0-2).
>
> EL7:
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0461.html
>
> EL5 and EL6:
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0459.html
>
> As stated above, I am currently building and testing these, so they are
> not yet released .. just preparing people for the changes.

Seems that 52 will be the next ESR version (June 2017).

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

--
LF

Re: [CentOS] Firefox for CentOS

m.roth
Hi, Johnny,

Johnny Hughes wrote:

> I am currently building the latest Firefox updates and I have noticed
> that they have upgraded the CentOS-7 Firefox from the ESR tree (45.8) to
> the mainline tree (Currently firefox-52.0).  They have left EL5 and EL6
> at the ESR level (45.8.0-2).
>
> EL7:
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0461.html
>
> EL5 and EL6:
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0459.html
>
> As stated above, I am currently building and testing these, so they are
> not yet released .. just preparing people for the changes.

In your testing, you might test the situation I posted yesterday: CentOS
7.3, current firefox, most recent flash-plugin (1 Mar). In one tab, using
noscript, I enabled youtube and googlevideo. It affected a *separate*
firefox window, opened from the firefox file menu. The video played, and
went to play something else. I closed the tab, which is the *only* place
that youtube was enabled. Instead, it kept playing. I actually shut down
firefox altogether... and it kept playing. It didn't stop until I brought
up firefox again, opened the original tab, and disabled youtube there.
*Then*, and only then, did it stop playing.

    mark

On 03/08/2017 09:07 AM, Leon Fauster wrote:

>> Am 08.03.2017 um 15:40 schrieb Johnny Hughes <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I am currently building the latest Firefox updates and I have noticed
>> that they have upgraded the CentOS-7 Firefox from the ESR tree (45.8) to
>> the mainline tree (Currently firefox-52.0).  They have left EL5 and EL6
>> at the ESR level (45.8.0-2).
>>
>> EL7:
>> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0461.html
>>
>> EL5 and EL6:
>> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0459.html
>>
>> As stated above, I am currently building and testing these, so they are
>> not yet released .. just preparing people for the changes.
>

> Seems that 52 will be the next ESR version (June 2017).
>
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/
It is currently also the main version for Linux .. at least that is what
the main firefox site wanted me to upgrade to.

On 03/08/2017 09:10 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi, Johnny,
>
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> I am currently building the latest Firefox updates and I have noticed
>> that they have upgraded the CentOS-7 Firefox from the ESR tree (45.8) to
>> the mainline tree (Currently firefox-52.0).  They have left EL5 and EL6
>> at the ESR level (45.8.0-2).
>>
>> EL7:
>> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0461.html
>>
>> EL5 and EL6:
>> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0459.html
>>
>> As stated above, I am currently building and testing these, so they are
>> not yet released .. just preparing people for the changes.
>>
> In your testing, you might test the situation I posted yesterday: CentOS
> 7.3, current firefox, most recent flash-plugin (1 Mar). In one tab, using
> noscript, I enabled youtube and googlevideo. It affected a *separate*
> firefox window, opened from the firefox file menu. The video played, and
> went to play something else. I closed the tab, which is the *only* place
> that youtube was enabled. Instead, it kept playing. I actually shut down
> firefox altogether... and it kept playing. It didn't stop until I brought
> up firefox again, opened the original tab, and disabled youtube there.
> *Then*, and only then, did it stop playing.
My only testing makes sure it works like the one in RHEL .. We don't
make technical changes to our RPMs.

Re: [CentOS] Firefox for CentOS

Phelps, Matthew
On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Johnny Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hi, Johnny,
> >
> > Johnny Hughes wrote:
> >> I am currently building the latest Firefox updates and I have noticed
> >> that they have upgraded the CentOS-7 Firefox from the ESR tree (45.8) to
> >> the mainline tree (Currently firefox-52.0).  They have left EL5 and EL6
> >> at the ESR level (45.8.0-2).
> >>
> >> EL7:
> >> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0461.html
> >>
> >> EL5 and EL6:
> >> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0459.html
> >>
> >> As stated above, I am currently building and testing these, so they are
> >> not yet released .. just preparing people for the changes.

Does anyone know if ESR 52.x will eventually be released for CentOS 6?

--
Matt Phelps
System Administrator, Computation Facility

On 03/08/2017 09:39 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Johnny Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Hi, Johnny,

> Does anyone know if ESR 52.x will eventually be released for CentOS 6?

I am sure it will, certainly when version 45 goes EOL.

The variables and content to build it on EL6 are in the current EL7
SRPM, but the EL5 stuff is (understandably, since it is going EOL soon)
missing.

What I am not sure of is if EL7 will stay on the Current Release for the
next update or if it will shift back to ESR.

[CentOS] Re: Firefox for CentOS

Yamaban
On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 16:56, Johnny Hughes <johnny@...> wrote:

> On 03/08/2017 09:39 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:

>> Does anyone know if ESR 52.x will eventually be released for CentOS 6?
>
> I am sure it will, certainly when version 45 goes EOL.
>
> The variables and content to build it on EL6 are in the current EL7
> SRPM, but the EL5 stuff is (understandably, since it is going EOL soon)
> missing.
>
> What I am not sure of is if EL7 will stay on the Current Release for the
> next update or if it will shift back to ESR.

Eh?? There is a slight misunderstanding here.

The Firefox 52.0 Version is released for BOTH, the normal release channel
AND the ESR channel. This was done to have one 6 week periode of overlapp
between the old and the new ESR version, to "ease over" the transistion,
as the 52 version insists on GKT3 and gstreamer 1.x normally.

At this point in time there are TWO ESR releases:
the 45.8.0esr AND the 52.0esr

http://download-installer.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/45.8.0esr/linux-x86_64/en-US/firefox-45.8.0esr.tar.bz2
(Last-Modified: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 16:34:18 GMT)

and:

http://download-installer.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/52.0esr/linux-x86_64/en-US/firefox-52.0esr.tar.bz2
(Last-Modified: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 16:32:42 GMT)

So, if you go for 52, make sure the get the "channel" right
(esr, not release)

Pure personal opinion on 52 is still out, I'm not that hyped, some of my
'beloved' extensions / addons are no longer working on 52 vs 45.

  - Yamaban.

Re: [CentOS] Firefox for CentOS

James Pearson
Johnny Hughes wrote:

> What I am not sure of is if EL7 will stay on the Current Release for the
> next update or if it will shift back to ESR.

Not quite sure what you mean - the current EL7 firefox 52.0 uses the
Mozilla Firefox 52.0 ESR source ...

James Pearson

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 6:22 PM, Yamaban <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 16:56, Johnny Hughes <johnny@...> wrote:
>
>> On 03/08/2017 09:39 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:

>>> Does anyone know if ESR 52.x will eventually be released for CentOS 6?
>>>

>> I am sure it will, certainly when version 45 goes EOL.
>>
>> The variables and content to build it on EL6 are in the current EL7
>> SRPM, but the EL5 stuff is (understandably, since it is going EOL soon)
>> missing.
>>
>> What I am not sure of is if EL7 will stay on the Current Release for the
>> next update or if it will shift back to ESR.
>>

> Eh?? There is a slight misunderstanding here.
>
> The Firefox 52.0 Version is released for BOTH, the normal release channel
> AND the ESR channel. This was done to have one 6 week periode of overlapp
> between the old and the new ESR version, to "ease over" the transistion,
> as the 52 version insists on GKT3 and gstreamer 1.x normally.
>
> (snip)

This is the point that worries me. If ESR 52.x requires GTK3, then how can
it be supported on CentOS 6?

On 03/09/2017 07:35 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 6:22 PM, Yamaban <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I am sure it will, certainly when version 45 goes EOL.
>>>
>>> The variables and content to build it on EL6 are in the current EL7
>>> SRPM, but the EL5 stuff is (understandably, since it is going EOL soon)
>>> missing.
>>>
>>> What I am not sure of is if EL7 will stay on the Current Release for the
>>> next update or if it will shift back to ESR.
>>>

>> Eh?? There is a slight misunderstanding here.
>>
>> The Firefox 52.0 Version is released for BOTH, the normal release channel
>> AND the ESR channel. This was done to have one 6 week periode of overlapp
>> between the old and the new ESR version, to "ease over" the transistion,
>> as the 52 version insists on GKT3 and gstreamer 1.x normally.
>>
>> (snip)
>
> This is the point that worries me. If ESR 52.x requires GTK3, then how can
> it be supported on CentOS 6?

They will include it and build it as part of firefox.  They already
build and use a new gcc (4.8) and other new things (binutils, yasm) in
EL6 to build the current firefox there.

I'm sure they will add in things they need and include them in the built
RPMs as required.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Johnny Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/09/2017 07:35 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:

> noticed
> (45.8)

> the
> >>>

> >> Eh?? There is a slight misunderstanding here.
> >>
> >> The Firefox 52.0 Version is released for BOTH, the normal release
> channel
> >> AND the ESR channel. This was done to have one 6 week periode of
> overlapp
> >> between the old and the new ESR version, to "ease over" the transistion,
> >> as the 52 version insists on GKT3 and gstreamer 1.x normally.
> >>
> >> (snip)
> >
> > This is the point that worries me. If ESR 52.x requires GTK3, then how
> can
> > it be supported on CentOS 6?
> >

> They will include it and build it as part of firefox.  They already
> build and use a new gcc (4.8) and other new things (binutils, yasm) in
> EL6 to build the current firefox there.
>
> I'm sure they will add in things they need and include them in the built
> RPMs as required.

OK, thanks for reassuring me! :)

On 03/09/2017 05:46 AM, James Pearson wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>
>> What I am not sure of is if EL7 will stay on the Current Release for the
>> next update or if it will shift back to ESR.
>
> Not quite sure what you mean - the current EL7 firefox 52.0 uses the
> Mozilla Firefox 52.0 ESR source ...

Right .. Mozilla released 52.0 as ESR and Mainline at the same time.  I
didn't realize they did it that way.

Red Hat moved EL7 to 52.0 and kept EL6 and EL5 back at 45.8.0 .. both
are now active ESR releases by Mozilla.

On 03/09/2017 09:01 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Johnny Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> noticed
>> (45.8)

>> the

>> channel
>> overlapp

>>> This is the point that worries me. If ESR 52.x requires GTK3, then how
>> can
>>> it be supported on CentOS 6?
>>>

>> They will include it and build it as part of firefox.  They already
>> build and use a new gcc (4.8) and other new things (binutils, yasm) in
>> EL6 to build the current firefox there.
>>
>> I'm sure they will add in things they need and include them in the built
>> RPMs as required.
>>

> OK, thanks for reassuring me! :)

For the record, I just checked and the released SRPM for EL7 has the
proper variables and sources and actually builds on EL6.  It uses gtk2
from el6 to build.

They obviously felt more comfortable instead released the older one on
EL6 this cycle, but I suspect that the newer 52.x ESR version will be
released during the next cycle.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Johnny Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> .
.
.

> For the record, I just checked and the released SRPM for EL7 has the
> proper variables and sources and actually builds on EL6.  It uses gtk2
> from el6 to build.
>
> They obviously felt more comfortable instead released the older one on
> EL6 this cycle, but I suspect that the newer 52.x ESR version will be
> released during the next cycle.

Indeed, the latest RHEL 6 update for firefox is the 52.1.0 ESR release:

RHSA-2017:1104 Critical: firefox security update

An update for firefox is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.

Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact
of Critical. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which
gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from
the CVE link(s) in the References section.

Mozilla Firefox is an open source web browser.

This update upgrades Firefox to version 52.1.0 ESR.

wwp

Re: [CentOS] Firefox for CentOS

wwp
Hello Phelps,,

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 09:18:28 -0400 "Phelps, Matthew" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Johnny Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > For the record, I just checked and the released SRPM for EL7 has the
> > proper variables and sources and actually builds on EL6.  It uses gtk2
> > from el6 to build.
> >
> > They obviously felt more comfortable instead released the older one on
> > EL6 this cycle, but I suspect that the newer 52.x ESR version will be
> > released during the next cycle.
> >

> Indeed, the latest RHEL 6 update for firefox is the 52.1.0 ESR release:
>

> RHSA-2017:1104 Critical: firefox security update

> An update for firefox is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
>
> Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact
> of Critical. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which
> gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from
> the CVE link(s) in the References section.
>
> Mozilla Firefox is an open source web browser.
>
> This update upgrades Firefox to version 52.1.0 ESR.
Sorry for jumping into this topic from nowhere.. does this mean that we
could get a Firefox v52 running on a CentOS 6?

wwp

wwp wrote:

>>> They obviously felt more comfortable instead released the older one on
>>> EL6 this cycle, but I suspect that the newer 52.x ESR version will be
>>> released during the next cycle.
>>>

>> Indeed, the latest RHEL 6 update for firefox is the 52.1.0 ESR release:
>>
>> This update upgrades Firefox to version 52.1.0 ESR.
>
> Sorry for jumping into this topic from nowhere.. does this mean that we
> could get a Firefox v52 running on a CentOS 6?

Yes, not 'could' but 'will' ...

James Pearson

wwp

Re: [CentOS] Firefox for CentOS

wwp
Hello James,

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:06:59 +0000 James Pearson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Indeed, the latest RHEL 6 update for firefox is the 52.1.0 ESR release:
> >>
> >> This update upgrades Firefox to version 52.1.0 ESR.
> >
> > Sorry for jumping into this topic from nowhere.. does this mean that we
> > could get a Firefox v52 running on a CentOS 6?
>
> Yes, not 'could' but 'will' ...
Hah. Good news!

wwp

On 04/20/2017 09:06 AM, James Pearson wrote:

>>> Indeed, the latest RHEL 6 update for firefox is the 52.1.0 ESR release:
>>>
>>> This update upgrades Firefox to version 52.1.0 ESR.
>>
>> Sorry for jumping into this topic from nowhere.. does this mean that we
>> could get a Firefox v52 running on a CentOS 6?
>
> Yes, not 'could' but 'will' ...

Right, that version is out there now for CentOS and it installs and
passes our CI testing, here is the latest run for this firefox:

http://bit.ly/2obFsd1