[CentOS] kmod-jfs on Centos 6

Hakan
I am a bit of a noob with Linux and Centos but would like to be able to access an old external USB disk formatted JFS by OS/2. I have seen there is a kmod-jfs package on elrepo that ought to work with Centos 6 but am unsure how to install kmods without hosing my existing system...

If anyone would like to be so kind to give me a short how-to, I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Re: [CentOS] kmod-jfs on Centos 6

Nux!
yum -y install http://mirrors.coreix.net/elrepo/elrepo/el6/x86_64/RPMS/kmod-jfs-0.0-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm

(that's for 64bit, adjust the url accordingly for 32bit)

it won't hose your system

Nux!
www.nux.ro

> I am a bit of a noob with Linux and Centos but would like to be able to access
> an old external USB disk formatted JFS by OS/2. I have seen there is a kmod-jfs
> package on elrepo that ought to work with Centos 6 but am unsure how to install
> kmods without hosing my existing system...
>
> If anyone would like to be so kind to give me a short how-to, I would be very
> grateful.
>
> Thank you.

Re: [CentOS] kmod-jfs on Centos 6

Hakan
Thank you, installed it and it worked fine. Now I am looking for the same for CentOS 7... It did not look like you have that in your repository?

On 3/13/2017 1:09 PM, Nux! wrote:

> yum -y install http://mirrors.coreix.net/elrepo/elrepo/el6/x86_64/RPMS/kmod-jfs-0.0-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
>
> (that's for 64bit, adjust the url accordingly for 32bit)
>
> it won't hose your system

> Nux!
> www.nux.ro

Akemi Yagi
On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 3:58 PM, H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/13/2017 1:09 PM, Nux! wrote:
>>
>> yum -y install
>> http://mirrors.coreix.net/elrepo/elrepo/el6/x86_64/RPMS/kmod-jfs-0.0-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
>>
>> (that's for 64bit, adjust the url accordingly for 32bit)
>>
>> it won't hose your system
>> Nux!

> Thank you, installed it and it worked fine. Now I am looking for the same
> for CentOS 7... It did not look like you have that in your repository?

You may want to file an RFE (request for enhancement) at
http://elrepo.org/bugs .

Another option is to use the CentOSPlus kernel (kernel-plus). This
kernel has the jfs kernel module enabled. It is available from CentOS
(for example, http://mirrors.coreix.net/centos/7/centosplus/ ).

Akemi

Re: [CentOS] kmod-jfs on Centos 6

Hakan
A  couple of days ago I submitted a request to ElRepo and kmod-jfs is now available for CentOS 7 as well.

On 04/12/2017 12:58 AM, H wrote:

> Thank you, installed it and it worked fine. Now I am looking for the same for CentOS 7... It did not look like you have that in your repository?
>

> On 3/13/2017 1:09 PM, Nux! wrote:
>> yum -y install http://mirrors.coreix.net/elrepo/elrepo/el6/x86_64/RPMS/kmod-jfs-0.0-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
>>
>> (that's for 64bit, adjust the url accordingly for 32bit)
>>
>> it won't hose your system
>>
>> --
>>
>> Nux!
>> www.nux.ro

m.roth
H wrote:
> A  couple of days ago I submitted a request to ElRepo and kmod-jfs is now
> available for CentOS 7 as well.
>
> On 04/12/2017 12:58 AM, H wrote:
>> Thank you, installed it and it worked fine. Now I am looking for the
>> same for CentOS 7... It did not look like you have that in your
>> repository?

I don't know about this - at home, I'm running C 6. Would this let me talk
to my Barnes&(ig)Noble Nook?

      mark