[CentOS] startup process that rebuilds aliases.db?

[CentOS] startup process that rebuilds aliases.db?

Robert Moskowitz
My Centos7 system does not have a battery for the clock (like most armv7
SOCs), thus I rely on that at some point in boot time, chronyd sets the
time.  If a file is updated prior to chronyd accomplishing its task (or
network connectivity is down), the file ends up with a timestamp of "Dec
31  1969".

I notice that occasionally, after a reboot, /etc/aliases.db reverts to
this time, and I have to run newaliases to fix it.  I suppose I could
run touch as well.

What process could be rebuilding aliases.db?  Postfix list says it isn't
them.

How, after chronyd, can I insure the date on aliases.db is not back to 0?

Yes, this is just a warning message in maillog, but annoying.

thanks

[CentOS] Solved - Re: startup process that rebuilds aliases.db?

Robert Moskowitz
Got what I needed from the chronyd list

> My Centos7 system does not have a battery for the clock (like most
> armv7 SOCs), thus I rely on that at some point in boot time, chronyd
> sets the time.  If a file is updated prior to chronyd accomplishing
> its task (or network connectivity is down), the file ends up with a
> timestamp of "Dec 31  1969".
>
> I notice that occasionally, after a reboot, /etc/aliases.db reverts to
> this time, and I have to run newaliases to fix it.  I suppose I could
> run touch as well.
>
> What process could be rebuilding aliases.db?  Postfix list says it
> isn't them.
>
> How, after chronyd, can I insure the date on aliases.db is not back to 0?
>
> Yes, this is just a warning message in maillog, but annoying.

"The recommended way to delay start of a service until the clock is
synchronized is to add "After=time-sync.target" to its unit file and
enable the chrony-wait service. It uses the chronyc waitsync command
to delay the time-sync target."