Claws-Mail filters -

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Claws-Mail filters -

Bob Goodwin

I wanted to try Claws-Mail but after several days of sporadic attempts
to filter messages into my usual directories I am ready to admit defeat
and remove Claws. It was installed via dnf in this updated Fedora 27. I
asked on the Claws list but there was no response.

As a last resort perhaps someone can give me an example of a working set
of entries for the filter menu? I tried what appeared reasonable based
on what help I found in google but it always refused to save.

Bob

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

Tom Horsley
On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 10:49:02 -0500
Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I wanted to try Claws-Mail but after several days of sporadic attempts
> to filter messages into my usual directories I am ready to admit defeat
> and remove Claws.

I've never found a mail client that could do filtering worth spit.

What I do is a lot more trouble, but it seems worth it in the
end: I run the dovecot IMAP server on my system, use fetchmail
to suck mail off other servers and feed it to dovecot, then
use the dovecot-sieve package to have dovecot do the filtering
at the IMAP server level.

A fair amount of trouble to setup, but once working, I can switch
email clients at will and get the exact same filtering.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

Bob Goodwin
On 03/04/18 11:00, Tom Horsley wrote:
I've never found a mail client that could do filtering worth spit.

What I do is a lot more trouble, but it seems worth it in the
end: I run the dovecot IMAP server on my system, use fetchmail
to suck mail off other servers and feed it to dovecot, then
use the dovecot-sieve package to have dovecot do the filtering
at the IMAP server level.

A fair amount of trouble to setup, but once working, I can switch
email clients at will and get the exact same filtering.
_______________________________________________

Yeah that's probably a solution. It seems I continually fiddle with the Thunderbird filters, they always work to some degree and aren't hard to set up but there are annoying things that happen, like showing stuff in trash as unread until I run the filter manually ...

I'll consider trying your solution after I remove Claws.

-- 
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3

_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

Erik P. Olsen
In reply to this post by Bob Goodwin
On 2018-03-04 at 10:49:02 Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I wanted to try Claws-Mail but after several days of sporadic attempts
> to filter messages into my usual directories I am ready to admit defeat
> and remove Claws. It was installed via dnf in this updated Fedora 27. I
> asked on the Claws list but there was no response.
>
> As a last resort perhaps someone can give me an example of a working set
> of entries for the filter menu? I tried what appeared reasonable based
> on what help I found in google but it always refused to save.
>
> Bob
>

 
Configuration -> Filtering

From then on you give the filter a name and press the two define buttons on the right of
the display and I am sure you can find the right way to create a filter. It's a piece of
cake.
 
--
Erik
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

Bob Goodwin
On 03/04/18 11:28, Erik P. Olsen wrote:

> On 2018-03-04 at 10:49:02 Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I wanted to try Claws-Mail but after several days of sporadic attempts
>> to filter messages into my usual directories I am ready to admit defeat
>> and remove Claws. It was installed via dnf in this updated Fedora 27. I
>> asked on the Claws list but there was no response.
>>
>> As a last resort perhaps someone can give me an example of a working set
>> of entries for the filter menu? I tried what appeared reasonable based
>> on what help I found in google but it always refused to save.
>>
>> .
>>  
>> Configuration -> Filtering
>>
>>  From then on you give the filter a name and press the two define buttons on the right of
>> the display and I am sure you can find the right way to create a filter. It's a piece of
>> cake.
>>  
"It's a piece of cake." For you perhaps but I've spent more time than I
want to admit trying to get something in those entries that would even
begin to work like "move #mh/Mailbox/inbox/Fedora." That's about all
I've found. I made the list of inbox subdirectories of which Fedora us
one. but there are other items, the entries for which are not  obvious
or suggested anywhere that I have found [examples].

--

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

stan-3
In reply to this post by Bob Goodwin
On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 10:49:02 -0500
Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wanted to try Claws-Mail but after several days of sporadic
> attempts to filter messages into my usual directories I am ready to
> admit defeat and remove Claws. It was installed via dnf in this
> updated Fedora 27. I asked on the Claws list but there was no
> response.

It's a little convoluted (so is my explanation below).  Suppose I want
to send all the mail from you to a spam folder.

I would click on Tools -> Create Filter rule.  I haven't used
automatically, so I'm not sure what will happen there. To get rid of
your mail, I would click By From.  This brings up the list of current
rules.  It shows your address, but a blank action.  I click on the
Define button to the right of Action.  It brings up a window with move
as the default action.  I click on the Select, to select where I want
your mail moved.  Let's say I already have a mail folder called
spam_folder (it has to be defined in claws), and I just click on that.
Then, here's the tricky part, I have to add it to the actions before I
say OK.  Then I have to add it to the list of rules before I say OK.
Now, the filter is all set and will work.

> As a last resort perhaps someone can give me an example of a working
> set of entries for the filter menu? I tried what appeared reasonable
> based on what help I found in google but it always refused to save.

You probably skipped a step, see above.

The actual filter rules are in a file called matcherrc in the directory
~/.claws-mail.

Here is an example for folder bugzilla using one of the built-ins
(from) (should be single line, wrapped on re-editing)

enabled rulename "" from matchcase "[hidden email]" move
"#mh/Mailbox/bugzilla"

Here's one for a non default header component (should be single line,
wrapped on re-editing)

enabled rulename "" header "Authentication-Results" matchcase
"spf=fail" move "#mh/Mailbox/spam_folder"

If you decide to make your rules by editing the matcherrc file, be sure
that claws is not running.

Claws might not be suitable for your work flow.  So it goes.  That's
why choice is so great, we all get the tools we want to use.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

Bob Goodwin
On 03/04/18 13:23, stan wrote:

> It's a little convoluted (so is my explanation below).  Suppose I want
> to send all the mail from you to a spam folder.
>
> I would click on Tools -> Create Filter rule.  I haven't used
> automatically, so I'm not sure what will happen there. To get rid of
> your mail, I would click By From.  This brings up the list of current
> rules.  It shows your address, but a blank action.  I click on the
> Define button to the right of Action.  It brings up a window with move
> as the default action.  I click on the Select, to select where I want
> your mail moved.  Let's say I already have a mail folder called
> spam_folder (it has to be defined in claws), and I just click on that.
> Then, here's the tricky part, I have to add it to the actions before I
> say OK.  Then I have to add it to the list of rules before I say OK.
> Now, the filter is all set and will work.

.

With this information I am able to get some results. My problem
apparently was working from the Configuration menu, Tools has two
creates, "Create filter rule" and "Create processing rule." I'm not sure
which one is the right one to use to sort my incoming messages into
folders but I'll muddle through there.

One other thing, how do I tell a it to go back and look at the inbox and
move mail from there into a directory using a new filter/process I have
created?

Thanks for the help.

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
wwp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

wwp
Hello Bob,


On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 17:10:18 -0500 Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/04/18 13:23, stan wrote:
> > It's a little convoluted (so is my explanation below).  Suppose I want
> > to send all the mail from you to a spam folder.
> >
> > I would click on Tools -> Create Filter rule.  I haven't used
> > automatically, so I'm not sure what will happen there. To get rid of
> > your mail, I would click By From.  This brings up the list of current
> > rules.  It shows your address, but a blank action.  I click on the
> > Define button to the right of Action.  It brings up a window with move
> > as the default action.  I click on the Select, to select where I want
> > your mail moved.  Let's say I already have a mail folder called
> > spam_folder (it has to be defined in claws), and I just click on that.
> > Then, here's the tricky part, I have to add it to the actions before I
> > say OK.  Then I have to add it to the list of rules before I say OK.
> > Now, the filter is all set and will work.  
>
> .
>
> With this information I am able to get some results. My problem apparently was working from the Configuration menu, Tools has two creates, "Create filter rule" and "Create processing rule." I'm not sure which one is the right one to use to sort my incoming messages into folders but I'll muddle through there.
Filtering rules are for filtering emails that are being retrieved from
server (POP, IMAP, NNTP).

Processing rules are for filtering emails in folders, when entering
those folders or when doing a right click on a folder then "Run
processing rules".

Additionally, you can manually apply "filtering rules" by doing
Tools/Filter all messages in folder or Tools/Filter selected messages.


> One other thing, how do I tell a it to go back and look at the inbox and move mail from there into a directory using a new filter/process I have created?

Got your answer above?


Regards,

--
wwp

_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

attachment0 (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

Bob Goodwin
On 03/04/18 17:46, wwp wrote:

> Hello Bob,
>
>
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 17:10:18 -0500 Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 03/04/18 13:23, stan wrote:
>>> It's a little convoluted (so is my explanation below).  Suppose I want
>>> to send all the mail from you to a spam folder.
>>>
>>> I would click on Tools -> Create Filter rule.  I haven't used
>>> automatically, so I'm not sure what will happen there. To get rid of
>>> your mail, I would click By From.  This brings up the list of current
>>> rules.  It shows your address, but a blank action.  I click on the
>>> Define button to the right of Action.  It brings up a window with move
>>> as the default action.  I click on the Select, to select where I want
>>> your mail moved.  Let's say I already have a mail folder called
>>> spam_folder (it has to be defined in claws), and I just click on that.
>>> Then, here's the tricky part, I have to add it to the actions before I
>>> say OK.  Then I have to add it to the list of rules before I say OK.
>>> Now, the filter is all set and will work.
>> .
>>
>> With this information I am able to get some results. My problem apparently was working from the Configuration menu, Tools has two creates, "Create filter rule" and "Create processing rule." I'm not sure which one is the right one to use to sort my incoming messages into folders but I'll muddle through there.
> Filtering rules are for filtering emails that are being retrieved from
> server (POP, IMAP, NNTP).
>
> Processing rules are for filtering emails in folders, when entering
> those folders or when doing a right click on a folder then "Run
> processing rules".
>
> Additionally, you can manually apply "filtering rules" by doing
> Tools/Filter all messages in folder or Tools/Filter selected messages.
>
>
>> One other thing, how do I tell a it to go back and look at the inbox and move mail from there into a directory using a new filter/process I have created?
> Got your answer above?
>
>
> Regards,
>
> .
Yes, this is the kind of information I was looking for. I will save this
in my notes.

I will work on this tomorrow morning.

Thank you,
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]


--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

Heinz Diehl-2
In reply to this post by Tom Horsley
On 04.03.2018, Tom Horsley wrote:

> I've never found a mail client that could do filtering worth spit.

I pull using getmail. Then, procmail sorts the mail into different
directories which I read using mutt. Have been doing this over two
decades, and it works as intended.

_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Tim
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

Tim
In reply to this post by Tom Horsley
On Sun, 2018-03-04 at 11:00 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I've never found a mail client that could do filtering worth spit.

I found that YAM (Yet Another Mailer) on the Amiga was good, back in
the day...  I'm continually amazed at how crap software can be at
running on some gigahertz multi-CPU with gigabits of RAM, compared to
what we used to do on a 16 MHz CPU with 4 megs of RAM.

My old Amiga could cold boot in 13 seconds.  Booting should, by now,
take a only fraction of a second.  When I run a program it shouldn't
take an age to get going, nor lock up the computer while it does so.

--
 
[tim@localhost ~] -rsvp
Linux 4.13.16-100.fc25.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 27 19:52:46 UTC 2017 x86_64
 
Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages
posted to the mailing list.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

Erik P. Olsen
In reply to this post by Bob Goodwin
On 2018-03-04 at 12:10:38 Bob Goodwin wrote:

> On 03/04/18 11:28, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> > On 2018-03-04 at 10:49:02 Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >  
> >> I wanted to try Claws-Mail but after several days of sporadic attempts
> >> to filter messages into my usual directories I am ready to admit defeat
> >> and remove Claws. It was installed via dnf in this updated Fedora 27. I
> >> asked on the Claws list but there was no response.
> >>
> >> As a last resort perhaps someone can give me an example of a working set
> >> of entries for the filter menu? I tried what appeared reasonable based
> >> on what help I found in google but it always refused to save.
> >>
> >> .
> >>  
> >> Configuration -> Filtering
> >>
> >>  From then on you give the filter a name and press the two define buttons on the
> >> right of the display and I am sure you can find the right way to create a filter.
> >> It's a piece of cake.
> >>    
> "It's a piece of cake." For you perhaps but I've spent more time than I
> want to admit trying to get something in those entries that would even
> begin to work like "move #mh/Mailbox/inbox/Fedora." That's about all
> I've found. I made the list of inbox subdirectories of which Fedora us
> one. but there are other items, the entries for which are not  obvious
> or suggested anywhere that I have found [examples].
>

OK, let me serve you the piece of cake :-)

1. Configuration -> Filtering
2. Give the filter in question a name (any name will do)
3. Hit the upper define button to define the condition on which the filter should act.
4. If you for example want to filter messages from a certain user press the "Match
Criteria" pull down and select "Header"
5. Now you can select which message header to use by pressing the "Name" pull down and in
the case of matching a user's mail address select "From" and enter the user's address in
the empty box below the "Name" box.
6. Now press "Add" and "OK"
7. You have now defined the filter condition and you remain the define what the filter
should do. Press the lower define button.
8. It comes up with the action "Move" as default. Press the "Action" pull down to see the
various possible actions. Select one of them and pick the target destination through the
"Select" button.
9. Once the destination  is selected you press "OK", then "Add" and "OK"-
10. Your filter is now defined and you activate it by pressing "Add" an "OK".

Have fun.

--
Regards,
Erik P. Olsen

_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

Bob Goodwin
On 03/05/18 10:11, Erik P. Olsen wrote:

> OK, let me serve you the piece of cake :-)
>
> 1. Configuration -> Filtering
> 2. Give the filter in question a name (any name will do)
> 3. Hit the upper define button to define the condition on which the filter should act.
> 4. If you for example want to filter messages from a certain user press the "Match
> Criteria" pull down and select "Header"
> 5. Now you can select which message header to use by pressing the "Name" pull down and in
> the case of matching a user's mail address select "From" and enter the user's address in
> the empty box below the "Name" box.
> 6. Now press "Add" and "OK"
> 7. You have now defined the filter condition and you remain the define what the filter
> should do. Press the lower define button.
> 8. It comes up with the action "Move" as default. Press the "Action" pull down to see the
> various possible actions. Select one of them and pick the target destination through the
> "Select" button.
> 9. Once the destination  is selected you press "OK", then "Add" and "OK"-
> 10. Your filter is now defined and you activate it by pressing "Add" an "OK".
>
> Have fun.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Erik P. Olsen

.

Thanks to all for the help.

So far so good. I have several filters working and displaying incoming
new messages in the sub-directories I've created. But I still have 785
earlier messages in the fastmail inbox that I would like to run through
those filters and have not found how to do that?

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
wwp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

wwp
Hello Bob,


On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 16:35:04 -0500 Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/05/18 10:11, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> > OK, let me serve you the piece of cake :-)
> >
> > 1. Configuration -> Filtering
> > 2. Give the filter in question a name (any name will do)
> > 3. Hit the upper define button to define the condition on which the filter should act.
> > 4. If you for example want to filter messages from a certain user press the "Match
> > Criteria" pull down and select "Header"
> > 5. Now you can select which message header to use by pressing the "Name" pull down and in
> > the case of matching a user's mail address select "From" and enter the user's address in
> > the empty box below the "Name" box.
> > 6. Now press "Add" and "OK"
> > 7. You have now defined the filter condition and you remain the define what the filter
> > should do. Press the lower define button.
> > 8. It comes up with the action "Move" as default. Press the "Action" pull down to see the
> > various possible actions. Select one of them and pick the target destination through the
> > "Select" button.
> > 9. Once the destination  is selected you press "OK", then "Add" and "OK"-
> > 10. Your filter is now defined and you activate it by pressing "Add" an "OK".
> >
> > Have fun.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Erik P. Olsen  
>
> .
>
> Thanks to all for the help.
>
> So far so good. I have several filters working and displaying incoming new messages in the sub-directories I've created. But I still have 785 earlier messages in the fastmail inbox that I would like to run through those filters and have not found how to do that?
I already gave you a clue about how to do that in another email (even,
twice).

1) select the emails to filter
2) Tools/Filter selected messages

That will do it, provided that your filter rules don't expect messages
to be unread or new (since they are from a former incorporation, they
aren't new anymore, even if you can set them the unread status).


Regards,

--
wwp

_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

attachment0 (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Claws-Mail filters -

Bob Goodwin
On 03/05/18 16:47, wwp wrote:
> I already gave you a clue about how to do that in another email (even,
> twice).
>
> 1) select the emails to filter
> 2) Tools/Filter selected messages
>
> That will do it, provided that your filter rules don't expect messages
> to be unread or new (since they are from a former incorporation, they
> aren't new anymore, even if you can set them the unread status).

.

Yes, thank you, I know I tried that several times without success. But I
have recreated everything and perhaps I can find why it fails. Right now
I have domestic chores to deal with but will get to it later.

Bob

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]