Connecting WD MyBook (WhiteLight) TB drive via Router

Connecting WD MyBook (WhiteLight) TB drive via Router

Jay Ridgley
Good morning,

I have recently moved from a system based firewall/server to a router.

Router is a Belkin N600DB wireless router. I have been able to get
everything up with the exception of my MyBook (worked before as a
dedicated host using NFS to access it). The router fails to find it when
I plug the network cable directly into the router.

What am I missing...

Belkin claims no support for Linux. Suggested I try one of the other two
popular OS. Problem is I have access to neither of them...

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with a Cinnamon desktop and am up to date
with all updates.

Ideas???

Thanks,
Jay

--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

Re: Connecting WD MyBook (WhiteLight) TB drive via Router

Chris Green
On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 06:56:03AM -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I have recently moved from a system based firewall/server to a router.
>
> Router is a Belkin N600DB wireless router. I have been able to get
> everything up with the exception of my MyBook (worked before as a dedicated
> host using NFS to access it). The router fails to find it when I plug the
> network cable directly into the router.
>
> What am I missing...
>
> Belkin claims no support for Linux. Suggested I try one of the other two
> popular OS. Problem is I have access to neither of them...
>
> I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with a Cinnamon desktop and am up to date with
> all updates.

It sounds as if you might have set a static IP for the MyBook which
isn't on the same subnet as the network set up by the router.

Or, was the MyBook set up to provide DHCP before?

--
Chris Green

Re: Connecting WD MyBook (WhiteLight) TB drive via Router

Colin Law-2
On 22 July 2018 at 12:56, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good morning,

I have recently moved from a system based firewall/server to a router.

Router is a Belkin N600DB wireless router. I have been able to get everything up with the exception of my MyBook (worked before as a dedicated host using NFS to access it). The router fails to find it when I plug the network cable directly into the router.

What am I missing...

Belkin claims no support for Linux. Suggested I try one of the other two popular OS. Problem is I have access to neither of them...

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with a Cinnamon desktop and am up to date with all updates.

I don't understand what Linux has got to do with anything, if you are just plugging the drive into the router.  Which MyBook is it?

Also not sure what you mean by the router not finding the drive.

Colin

Ideas???

Thanks,
Jay

--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

Re: Connecting WD MyBook (WhiteLight) TB drive via Router

Gene Heskett-2
On Sunday 22 July 2018 07:56:03 Jay Ridgley wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I have recently moved from a system based firewall/server to a router.
>
> Router is a Belkin N600DB wireless router. I have been able to get
> everything up with the exception of my MyBook (worked before as a
> dedicated host using NFS to access it). The router fails to find it
> when I plug the network cable directly into the router.
>
> What am I missing...
>
> Belkin claims no support for Linux. Suggested I try one of the other
> two popular OS. Problem is I have access to neither of them...
>
> I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with a Cinnamon desktop and am up to
> date with all updates.
>
> Ideas???

Yes, current version of a Buffalo NetFinity router, install dd-wrt.

> Thanks,
> Jay
>
> --
> Jay Ridgley
> jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
> Registered Linux User ID - 9115
> https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
> Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On 07/22/2018 07:17 AM, Chris Green wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 06:56:03AM -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I have recently moved from a system based firewall/server to a router.
>>
>> Router is a Belkin N600DB wireless router. I have been able to get
>> everything up with the exception of my MyBook (worked before as a dedicated
>> host using NFS to access it). The router fails to find it when I plug the
>> network cable directly into the router.
>>
>> What am I missing...
>>
>> Belkin claims no support for Linux. Suggested I try one of the other two
>> popular OS. Problem is I have access to neither of them...
>>
>> I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with a Cinnamon desktop and am up to date with
>> all updates.
>>
> It sounds as if you might have set a static IP for the MyBook which
> isn't on the same subnet as the network set up by the router.
>
> Or, was the MyBook set up to provide DHCP before?

Chris, Colin and Gene Thanks,

The MyBook was indeed assigned a static IP on my old network and that
address is not now a part of my current network.

The MyBook is not recognized by the router like my other systems were
even though all originally had static addresses. The computers were
converted to DHCP connections but the MyBook was not.

Gene, I do not want to change the router, if there is another way...

I wonder if resetting the MyBook to factory defaults would cause it to
respond to DHCP...

Cheers,
Jay

--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 01:42:47PM -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:

> On 07/22/2018 07:17 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 06:56:03AM -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:
> > > Good morning,
> > >
> > > I have recently moved from a system based firewall/server to a router.
> > >
> > > Router is a Belkin N600DB wireless router. I have been able to get
> > > everything up with the exception of my MyBook (worked before as a dedicated
> > > host using NFS to access it). The router fails to find it when I plug the
> > > network cable directly into the router.
> > >
> > > What am I missing...
> > >
> > > Belkin claims no support for Linux. Suggested I try one of the other two
> > > popular OS. Problem is I have access to neither of them...
> > >
> > > I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with a Cinnamon desktop and am up to date with
> > > all updates.
> > >
> > It sounds as if you might have set a static IP for the MyBook which
> > isn't on the same subnet as the network set up by the router.
> >
> > Or, was the MyBook set up to provide DHCP before?
> >
> Chris, Colin and Gene Thanks,
>
> The MyBook was indeed assigned a static IP on my old network and that
> address is not now a part of my current network.

Well that would explain why it isn't connecting.

> I wonder if resetting the MyBook to factory defaults would cause it to
> respond to DHCP...

It probably will, it depends whether it defaults to a dynamic IP or
not.  The documentation should tell you.

--
Chris Green

On 22 July 2018 at 19:42, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]> wrote:
The MyBook was indeed assigned a static IP on my old network and that address is not now a part of my current network.

How was it assigned a static IP?  If you had somehow configured the drive to use a static IP then you will need to undo that.  If, however, you had configured your old router to give it a fixed IP via DHCP then when it is connected to the new router it should be given a new address.

The MyBook is not recognized by the router like my other systems were even though all originally had static addresses. The computers were converted to DHCP connections but the MyBook was not.

I don't understand that statement.  The router does not 'recognise' the MyBook.  If the drive asks for an IP address then the router should give it one, if it doesn't then it won't.

Gene, I do not want to change the router, if there is another way...

I wonder if resetting the MyBook to factory defaults would cause it to respond to DHCP...

If the drive has somehow been configured to not use DHCP, or if it has a bug and has become confused, then that will probably fix it.

You still haven't told us which particular model the drive is.

Colin

Re: Connecting WD MyBook (WhiteLight) TB drive via Router ** fixed**

Jay Ridgley
On 07/22/2018 01:42 PM, Jay Ridgley wrote:

> On 07/22/2018 07:17 AM, Chris Green wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 06:56:03AM -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>>> Good morning,
>>>
>>> I have recently moved from a system based firewall/server to a router.
>>>
>>> Router is a Belkin N600DB wireless router. I have been able to get
>>> everything up with the exception of my MyBook (worked before as a
>>> dedicated
>>> host using NFS to access it). The router fails to find it when I plug
>>> the
>>> network cable directly into the router.
>>>
>>> What am I missing...
>>>
>>> Belkin claims no support for Linux. Suggested I try one of the other two
>>> popular OS. Problem is I have access to neither of them...
>>>
>>> I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with a Cinnamon desktop and am up to
>>> date with
>>> all updates.
>>>
>> It sounds as if you might have set a static IP for the MyBook which
>> isn't on the same subnet as the network set up by the router.
>>
>> Or, was the MyBook set up to provide DHCP before?
>>
> Chris, Colin and Gene Thanks,
>
> The MyBook was indeed assigned a static IP on my old network and that
> address is not now a part of my current network.
>
> The MyBook is not recognized by the router like my other systems were
> even though all originally had static addresses. The computers were
> converted to DHCP connections but the MyBook was not.
>
> Gene, I do not want to change the router, if there is another way...
>
> I wonder if resetting the MyBook to factory defaults would cause it to
> respond to DHCP...
>
> Cheers,
> Jay

Good Morning,

I reset the WD MyBook to factory default and was able to get a
connection established.

Thanks,
Jay

--