Dfault video player -

Bob Goodwin
I have a bunch of iPhone videos to view.

I have spent the last hour googling without success:

How to make the default video player "VLC" and remove the "Videos" item offered whenever I go to view one. I haven't even been able to determine what application "Videos" starts, but it never does anything but put a spinner on the screen. I don't want to fix it, I just want it to go away and be replaced with VLC which always works.

Any help appreciated,

Bob
.

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

Re: SOLVED - Default video player -

Bob Goodwin
On 05/15/18 11:07, Bob Goodwin wrote:
I have a bunch of iPhone videos to view.

I have spent the last hour googling without success:

How to make the default video player "VLC" and remove the "Videos" item offered whenever I go to view one. I haven't even been able to determine what application "Videos" starts, but it never does anything but put a spinner on the screen. I don't want to fix it, I just want it to go away and be replaced with VLC which always works.

Any help appreciated,

Bob
.

Sorry for the noise. I found that I could select VLC as the default in Thunar and that solves my immediate problem.

bobg
--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3

Re: Dfault video player -

Fedora mailing list
Allegedly, on or about 15 May 2018, Bob Goodwin sent:
> I have a bunch of iPhone videos to view.
>
> I have spent the last hour googling without success:
>
> How to make the default video player "VLC" and remove the "Videos"
> item offered whenever I go to view one. I haven't even been able to
> determine what application "Videos" starts, but it never does
> anything but put a spinner on the screen. I don't want to fix it, I
> just want it to go away and be replaced with VLC which always works.

I think the default "video" player is totem, on Gnome.  And try as I
might (using mate), I can't add codecs that will let it play various
types of video files.  I gave up and installed VLC and SMplayer, and
they'll play just about anything, from the get go.

Usually, one can right-click on a file in a file browser, or on the
desktop, and choose "properties."  When the properties window pops up,
go to the "open with" tab, and that'll set the program that will open
that type of file up, whenever you double-click on them.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.15.17-200.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Apr 12 18:28:26 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Ha ha ha ha...
(I couldn't think of a good joke, so I supplied a laugh track, instead.)

Re: Default video player -

Bob Goodwin
On 05/15/18 11:32, Tim via users wrote:

> I think the default "video" player is totem, on Gnome.  And try as I
> might (using mate), I can't add codecs that will let it play various
> types of video files.  I gave up and installed VLC and SMplayer, and
> they'll play just about anything, from the get go.
>
> Usually, one can right-click on a file in a file browser, or on the
> desktop, and choose "properties."  When the properties window pops up,
> go to the "open with" tab, and that'll set the program that will open
> that type of file up, whenever you double-click on them.

+
I wanted to be able to go down the list in a file manager and and double
click to start the viewer. That worked once I was able to make VLC the
default, they were all .mov "Quicktime Videos" among a number of jpeg's.
Now I see Apple has introduced another format "HEIC." I don't think we
have a decoder for that one yet?

I don't think that's the first time I made V:C the default, perhaps that
setting does not survive system updates?

Thanks for the response.

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3

Re: Default video player -

Samuel Sieb
On 05/15/2018 09:19 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I wanted to be able to go down the list in a file manager and and double
> click to start the viewer. That worked once I was able to make VLC the
> default, they were all .mov "Quicktime Videos" among a number of jpeg's.
> Now I see Apple has introduced another format "HEIC." I don't think we
> have a decoder for that one yet?

That uses the h265 video codec.  The codec is in rpmfusion, but I don't
know if the container format is supported yet.

> I don't think that's the first time I made V:C the default, perhaps that
> setting does not survive system updates?

If you're setting it from the file manager, then it will be specific to
each file type.  In Gnome settings, there's an option to set the default
video player which covers all video formats.

Re: Default video player -

Bob Goodwin
On 05/16/18 00:55, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> If you're setting it from the file manager, then it will be specific
> to each file type.  In Gnome settings, there's an option to set the
> default video player which covers all video formats.

I looked in XFCE settings first, but could not find a setting to do
that. I may have overlooked something?

Perhaps I could set it using gnome and xfce would respect that setting?
Something to try eventually ...