Dialog box pops up now when double clicking on desktop icons in LXDE, asking for confirmation. Want to stop this behavior.

Dialog box pops up now when double clicking on desktop icons in LXDE, asking for confirmation. Want to stop this behavior.

stan-3
Hi,
The subject pretty much says it.  In the last week or so, the behavior
of the icons on the desktop has changed to require confirmation before
opening the application in LXDE.  There is one icon, the one for
spectacle, the screen capture application, that this does not happen
for.  So there must be a way to stop it from happening.  Would this be
an issue in X (LXDE still runs only on X as far as I am aware), LXDE, or
maybe selinux or some other security app?  There have been hundreds of
updates in that time frame, so unless I absolutely have to, I'd rather
not go back looking through them for a likely culprit.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Dialog box pops up now when double clicking on desktop icons in LXDE, asking for confirmation. Want to stop this behavior.

Samuel Sieb
On 05/15/2018 08:06 AM, stan wrote:
> The subject pretty much says it.  In the last week or so, the behavior
> of the icons on the desktop has changed to require confirmation before
> opening the application in LXDE.  There is one icon, the one for
> spectacle, the screen capture application, that this does not happen
> for.  So there must be a way to stop it from happening.  Would this be
> an issue in X (LXDE still runs only on X as far as I am aware), LXDE, or
> maybe selinux or some other security app?  There have been hundreds of
> updates in that time frame, so unless I absolutely have to, I'd rather
> not go back looking through them for a likely culprit.

Check that the executable bit is set on those files.

Re: Dialog box pops up now when double clicking on desktop icons in LXDE, asking for confirmation. Want to stop this behavior.

stan-3
On Tue, 15 May 2018 11:55:38 -0700
Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/15/2018 08:06 AM, stan wrote:
> > The subject pretty much says it.  In the last week or so, the
> > behavior of the icons on the desktop has changed to require
> > confirmation before opening the application in LXDE.  There is one
> > icon, the one for spectacle, the screen capture application, that
> > this does not happen for.  So there must be a way to stop it from
> > happening.  Would this be an issue in X (LXDE still runs only on X
> > as far as I am aware), LXDE, or maybe selinux or some other
> > security app?  There have been hundreds of updates in that time
> > frame, so unless I absolutely have to, I'd rather not go back
> > looking through them for a likely culprit.
>
> Check that the executable bit is set on those files.

It's strange, spectacle had no executable permission, and when I looked
at the properties it says no one can execute it.  The problem icons all
had executable permissions, and the properties were anybody can
execute.  I removed the executable permissions, but no difference.
When I have a chance, I'll try restarting X to see if it picks up the
new properties of these icons, and they then have the same behavior as
spectacle.  I think you are onto something, since the executable
permissions were such a match for behavior, if in a negative manner.
Thanks.

On 05/15/2018 01:12 PM, stan wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2018 11:55:38 -0700
> Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Check that the executable bit is set on those files.
>
> It's strange, spectacle had no executable permission, and when I looked
> at the properties it says no one can execute it.  The problem icons all
> had executable permissions, and the properties were anybody can
> execute.  I removed the executable permissions, but no difference.
> When I have a chance, I'll try restarting X to see if it picks up the
> new properties of these icons, and they then have the same behavior as
> spectacle.  I think you are onto something, since the executable
> permissions were such a match for behavior, if in a negative manner.
> Thanks.

When I double-click a .desktop file in Nautilus, Gnome pops up a dialog
box saying that the file is not trusted and do I want to trust it and
execute it.  After agreeing, the proper icon shows up instead of the
basic file icon.  I don't know where it stores the information, but it
must save the path somewhere, because if you replace the file with
something else, the new file is still trusted.

Re: Dialog box pops up now when double clicking on desktop icons in LXDE, asking for confirmation. Want to stop this behavior.

stan-3
On Tue, 15 May 2018 14:18:35 -0700
Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I double-click a .desktop file in Nautilus, Gnome pops up a
> dialog box saying that the file is not trusted and do I want to trust
> it and execute it.  After agreeing, the proper icon shows up instead
> of the basic file icon.  I don't know where it stores the
> information, but it must save the path somewhere, because if you
> replace the file with something else, the new file is still trusted.

Restarting X didn't work, but the above gave me the hint I needed.  I
deleted the offending icons and re-created them, and now they work like
they always did.  It seems some api changed, and needed the re-creation
to configure it so it would work properly. That was one of the first
things I tried, deleting and re-creating an icon.  Then, it had the
same behavior, now it works.  The only difference between the two icons
I can see is that the new one doesn't have a description or tooltip.
What would the universe be without mysteries?

Thanks for your help.

On 05/15/2018 03:02 PM, stan wrote:
> Restarting X didn't work, but the above gave me the hint I needed.  I
> deleted the offending icons and re-created them, and now they work like
> they always did.  It seems some api changed, and needed the re-creation
> to configure it so it would work properly. That was one of the first
> things I tried, deleting and re-creating an icon.  Then, it had the
> same behavior, now it works.  The only difference between the two icons
> I can see is that the new one doesn't have a description or tooltip.
> What would the universe be without mysteries?

You can go into the ~/Desktop folder and see the files that correspond
to the icons.  They should be .desktop files, but maybe they weren't before.

Re: Dialog box pops up now when double clicking on desktop icons in LXDE, asking for confirmation. Want to stop this behavior.

stan-3
On Tue, 15 May 2018 16:02:12 -0700
Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can go into the ~/Desktop folder and see the files that
> correspond to the icons.  They should be .desktop files, but maybe
> they weren't before.

They are all desktop now.  I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if they
weren't before, since I was looking for inconsistencies.  But, whatever
they were, everything was working fine until the update that broke
this.  I still have no idea what that was, but at least everything is
working now, so I'll just let it go.