Difficulties to connect to access an Android phone from Kubuntu 16.04

Difficulties to connect to access an Android phone from Kubuntu 16.04

Bas Roufs
Hello Everbody.

At earlier versions of Kubuntu, I could quite easily access the SD card and internal memory in my Android phones. I connected a USB cable in between the phone and laptop and the phone showed up as a "mass storage" device, after which I could easily transfer files between either devices.

However, ever since let's say Kubuntu 14.04 it's getting more and more complicated. Kubuntu 16.04 is even worse in this context.
One error message that often comes back sounds something like "mtp protocol died unexpectedly.  Today, I got this error message:

Internal Error

Please send a full bug report at http://bugs.kde.org

No such object path '/modules/kdeconnect/devices/ed509789b5640fb9/sftp'

Also this one shows up from time to time....

The only way out I have found so far is taking out the SD card of the phone, putting it in a bigger SD card case or into some USB device, after which I can access the card. However, this is a bit troublesome.

Any clue how to solve these problems?

Yours.

Bas G. Roufs.

--

Bas G. Roufs

Utrecht, NL, E. [hidden email]; Mob. +31 6 446 835 10;

Re: Difficulties to connect to access an Android phone from Kubuntu 16.04

Mark Fraser-2
On 30/01/18 21:41, Bas Roufs wrote:

> Hello Everbody.
>
> At earlier versions of Kubuntu, I could quite easily access the SD card
> and internal memory in my Android phones. I connected a USB cable in
> between the phone and laptop and the phone showed up as a "mass storage"
> device, after which I could easily transfer files between either devices.
>
> However, ever since let's say Kubuntu 14.04 it's getting more and more
> complicated. Kubuntu 16.04 is even worse in this context.
> One error message that often comes back sounds something like "mtp
> protocol died unexpectedly.  Today, I got this error message:
>
> /Internal Error/
>
> //
>
> /Please send a full bug report at http://bugs.kde.org/
>
> //
>
> /No such object path '/modules/kdeconnect/devices/ed509789b5640fb9/sftp'/
>

> Also this one shows up from time to time....
>
> The only way out I have found so far is taking out the SD card of the
> phone, putting it in a bigger SD card case or into some USB device,
> after which I can access the card. However, this is a bit troublesome.
>
> Any clue how to solve these problems?

The only thing I can suggest is to try KDEConnect.

Re: Difficulties to connect to access an Android phone from Kubuntu 16.04

Richard S. Crawford

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 1:41 PM, Bas Roufs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

​Hi Bas,

You've probably already seen people recommending KDEConnect for this purpose. I use it, and have had no problems accessing files on my Android device.

Richard​

Re: Difficulties to connect to access an Android phone from Kubuntu 16.04

Bas Roufs
Have installed KDE Connect on both devices, however, they do not
 see each other, even if they function in the same network.

Yours.

Bas.

[...]

Hello Everybody.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Have installed KDE Connect at both my laptop and mobile. However, even when switching on both of them, the devices do not "see" each other via KDE Connect.
My laptop is Lenovo X220 and has Kubuntu 16.04, updated via the backports. KDE plasma version: 5.8.8.

My phone is a Samsung S5 mini, along with Android 6.01.

Yours.

Bas G. Roufs.

I use kdeconnect indicator for sms it works great, but I must admit it's a bit tricky to install, specially for me I use 18.04 :

https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/indicator-kdeconnect

The other way is with android sdk, far the best if you intend to upgrade android on smartphone. I got a nexus 4, I updated to nougat 7. xx and an hp touch pad I updated too nougat 7 too.

with both at least you can get it with command line.

Le 30/01/2018 à 23:53, Bas Roufs a écrit :
[...]

David Fletcher
Hi Bas,

Hope this isn't a stupid question but have you tried different cables?
The one that came with my Motorola G3 really does only charge - I can't
get any data connection with it. Other cables work perfectly. Dragging
down from the top of the G3 screen gives me the USB options to transfer
files etc. which mounts both internal and SD storage without doing
anything else or installing anything.

Dave

Re: Difficulties to connect to access an Android phone from Kubuntu 16.04

Karsten Loh
You are connected to a VPN by chance? If I'm connected to our VPN KDE connect fails seeing the other as well, once I disconnect it works fine.

LLAP,

Karsten
--
Evil Overlord Rule #192: If I appoint someone as my consort, I will not subsequently inform her that she is being replaced by a younger, more attractive woman.
On 31.01.2018 15:22, Bas Roufs wrote:
[...]

Hello Karsten and everybody.

> You are connected to a VPN by chance? If I'm connected to our VPN KDE
> connect fails seeing the other as well, once I disconnect it works fine.

Good point, however, my mobile is not connected to a VPN at present.

Yours.
Bas.

--
Bas G. Roufs
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
+31 6 446 835 10

Re: Difficulties to connect to access an Android phone from Kubuntu 16.04

Bas Roufs
Hello Dave and Everybody.

> Hope this isn't a stupid question but have you tried different cables?

Good question Dave. Have been using different cables over the years, with
different results.......

> The one that came with my Motorola G3 really does only charge - I can't
> get any data connection with it. Other cables work perfectly. Dragging
> down from the top of the G3 screen gives me the USB options to transfer
> files etc. which mounts both internal and SD storage without doing
> anything else or installing anything.

Will buy later another data cable, try it and report my findings here.

Yours.
Bas G. Roufs.

--
Bas G. Roufs
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL- 3514 VT  Utrecht
[hidden email]
+31 6 446 835 10

Re: Difficulties to connect to access an Android phone from Kubuntu 16.04

Bas Roufs
No, not yet.
With KDE Connect, I have just non-results 😃.
When I'll have another data cable, I''ll get back here.
Yours.
Bas.

Op 2 feb. 2018 20:11 schreef "David Fletcher" <[hidden email]>:
Hey Bas,

Did you get a result?

Dave

Re: Difficulties to connect to access an Android phone from Kubuntu 16.04

Clay Weber-2

Also the desktop app needs to be relatively new to work with the current android app. The one in the backports ppa is over a year old. There may be issues due to this, perhaps though I don't quickly see any reports on this.

Clay Weber

[...]

Utrecht, NL, E. [hidden email]; Mob. <a href="tel:+31 6 446 835 10">+31 6 446 835 10;

--

Bas G. Roufs

Utrecht, NL, E. [hidden email]; Mob. <a href="tel:+31 6 446 835 10">+31 6 446 835 10;

Re: Difficulties to connect to access an Android phone from Kubuntu 16.04

Volker Wysk
Hi!

Am Dienstag, 30. Januar 2018, 22:41:50 CET schrieb Bas Roufs:

> Hello Everbody.
>
> At earlier versions of Kubuntu, I could quite easily access the SD card and
> internal memory in my Android phones. I connected a USB cable in between
> the phone and laptop and the phone showed up as a "mass storage" device,
> after which I could easily transfer files between either devices.
>
> However, ever since let's say Kubuntu 14.04 it's getting more and more
> complicated. Kubuntu 16.04 is even worse in this context.
> One error message that often comes back sounds something like "mtp protocol
> died unexpectedly.  Today, I got this error message:

As far as I heard, the Linux MTP implementation never was ready for production, and always more or less broken. I couldn't get it to work reliably, just like you, This is from kubuntu-users (2017-05-19): "MTP support in Kubuntu is almost entirely broken and has been for a decade and a half. I have no hope of it ever getting fixed.".

But you can connect to your phone via WLAN, rather than cable. I'm using SSHDroid for this. That's a SSH server, and cou can connect to it via SFTP.

I've also heard of Airdroid, which appears to do a lot more, but I haven't tried it yet.

Cheers
Volker