Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Stephen Morris
Hi,

     I have forgotten whether I'm running gdm or kdm, and I've forgotten
where to look to find out, but since the last system update I did two
days ago, when the display manager is displaying the list of user who
can log in, cursor movements and mouse movements lag something cronic,
but when I log into the desktop response goes back to normal. Has anyone
else noticed this?


regards,

Steve

_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Ed Greshko
On 02/26/18 18:39, Stephen Morris wrote:
>     I have forgotten whether I'm running gdm or kdm, and I've forgotten where to
> look to find out, but since the last system update I did two days ago, when the
> display manager is displaying the list of user who can log in, cursor movements and
> mouse movements lag something cronic, but when I log into the desktop response goes
> back to normal. Has anyone else noticed this?


ll /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service   will point to what you're using.

All is well here using sddm

--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Ed Greshko-2
On 02/26/18 18:47, Ed Greshko wrote:
> ll /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service   will point to what you're using.


systemctl status display-manager

also will tell you


--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Stephen Morris
On 26/2/18 9:50 pm, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 02/26/18 18:47, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> ll /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service   will point to what you're using.
>
> systemctl status display-manager
>
> also will tell you

Thanks Ed, that tells me I'm using gdm. I might be getting confused with
Ubuntu, but I thought there was a .conf file somewhere that held the
specification of the default display manager that could easily be edited
to swap between any of the available display managers that you happen to
have installed.

The issue I have with the lag, is when I use the mouse to drag the mouse
pointer over the list of users, the highlighting process lags that badly
that highlighting of users in the list gets skipped, and if I use the
arrow keys to cycle backwards and forwards through the list of 5 users,
it takes approx. 10 to 15 seconds for before each user gets highlighted.

Also having selected the user to login with, in my case my userid, and
gotten the password prompt, I only use a short password being 5
characters long, I can type the entire password and press enter to
action it, before the display manager displays to mask representing the
first character of the password, having displayed the first mask
character, it waits for a little while then displays the second mask
character, waits for a little while and then displays the last 3 mask
characters all at once.

I don't know if this is part of this issue or not, but having entered my
password, the system then displays a "black screen" for a period of time
before displaying the screen with the KDE logo on it to indicate that
KDE is starting up, but whatever that "black screen" is, the production
of that screen is enough to send my monitor into power saving mode until
just before the KDE logo screen is eventually displayed.

I'm not using sddm because when I tried it, I didn't like its
presentation layer, and the same applies to kdm.


regards,

Steve

>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Joe Zeff
On 02/27/2018 12:37 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>
> I'm not using sddm because when I tried it, I didn't like its
> presentation layer, and the same applies to kdm.

Have you tried lightdm?
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Stephen Morris
On 28/2/18 7:46 am, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 02/27/2018 12:37 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>
>> I'm not using sddm because when I tried it, I didn't like its
>> presentation layer, and the same applies to kdm.
>
> Have you tried lightdm?

If I remember correctly, I think in F25 or F26 lightdm was the display
manager used by default, and I moved away from that a long time ago, and
if I remember correctly, I moved away from it because I had trouble
getting it to work properly with Gnome and KDE, but I don't remember
exactly what the issue was.


regards,

Steve


> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Ed Greshko
In reply to this post by Stephen Morris
On 02/28/18 04:37, Stephen Morris wrote:
> I might be getting confused with Ubuntu, but I thought there was a .conf file
> somewhere that held the specification of the default display manager that could
> easily be edited to swap between any of the available display managers that you
> happen to have installed.


With the advent of systemd there hasn't been a configuration file for a long time. 
It is extremely easy to switch between DM's.

systemctl --force enable gdm       or kdm, or sddm, or lightdm or whatever.

--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Ed Greshko-2
In reply to this post by Stephen Morris
On 02/28/18 05:37, Stephen Morris wrote:
>
> If I remember correctly, I think in F25 or F26 lightdm was the display manager used
> by default


No.

It depended on the "spin" or Desktop you installed.    If you installed
"Workstation"  aka GNOME it has always been gdm.  If you installed the KDE spin it
was originally kdm.  Now, with KDE4, aka plasma, it is sddm. 

--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Stephen Morris
In reply to this post by Ed Greshko
On 28/2/18 10:11 am, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 02/28/18 04:37, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> I might be getting confused with Ubuntu, but I thought there was a .conf file
>> somewhere that held the specification of the default display manager that could
>> easily be edited to swap between any of the available display managers that you
>> happen to have installed.
>
> With the advent of systemd there hasn't been a configuration file for a long time.
> It is extremely easy to switch between DM's.
>
> systemctl --force enable gdm       or kdm, or sddm, or lightdm or whatever.

Thanks Ed, I switched from gdm to kdm by the following:

sudo systemctl disable gdm.service

sudo systemctl enable kdm.service

With kdm I don't get the issue, so to try and debug where/what the issue
is I switched back to gdm which as expected exhibited the issue again.
To eliminate the old issue of gdm and kde not functioning together
properly I started up gnome (both gnome, I assume with wayland, and
gnome for xorg). It appeared from this that the system update I did that
prompted this mail has stuffed gnome on my system. The gnome session I
started was running the wrong resolution, it wasn't running the
resolution it was on the last time I used gnome, the horrific lag that
gdm was getting the gnome desktop was as well, and when I eventually was
able to start konsole for the shell as I always do, the konsole session
went haywire with things like randomly single keypresses storming that
key across the screen. Despite all this I was able to start top, which
highlighted that Gnome-Shell was using 450 - 800 % of the cpu, so it
looks like the updated stuffed gnome-shell on my system, but I'm not
sure that that explains the desktop resolution being destroyed. The next
question with this is how, as a starting point do we get Gnome-Shell fixed.


regards,

Steve


>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Ed Greshko-2
On 03/01/18 05:16, Stephen Morris wrote:

> On 28/2/18 10:11 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 02/28/18 04:37, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>> I might be getting confused with Ubuntu, but I thought there was a .conf file
>>> somewhere that held the specification of the default display manager that could
>>> easily be edited to swap between any of the available display managers that you
>>> happen to have installed.
>>
>> With the advent of systemd there hasn't been a configuration file for a long time.
>> It is extremely easy to switch between DM's.
>>
>> systemctl --force enable gdm       or kdm, or sddm, or lightdm or whatever.
>
> Thanks Ed, I switched from gdm to kdm by the following:
>
> sudo systemctl disable gdm.service
>
> sudo systemctl enable kdm.service
I prefer less typing, but that works as well.

>
> The next question with this is how, as a starting point do we get Gnome-Shell fixed.
>
I don't use gnome.  Hopefully someone else can assist.  Yet, nobody else is
complaining so it is probably something with your particular setup.

--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Eyal Lebedinsky
On 01/03/18 08:45, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 03/01/18 05:16, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> On 28/2/18 10:11 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> On 02/28/18 04:37, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>>> I might be getting confused with Ubuntu, but I thought there was a .conf file
>>>> somewhere that held the specification of the default display manager that could
>>>> easily be edited to swap between any of the available display managers that you
>>>> happen to have installed.
>>>
>>> With the advent of systemd there hasn't been a configuration file for a long time.
>>> It is extremely easy to switch between DM's.
>>>
>>> systemctl --force enable gdm       or kdm, or sddm, or lightdm or whatever.
>>
>> Thanks Ed, I switched from gdm to kdm by the following:
>>
>> sudo systemctl disable gdm.service
>>
>> sudo systemctl enable kdm.service
>
> I prefer less typing, but that works as well.
>
>>
>> The next question with this is how, as a starting point do we get Gnome-Shell fixed.
>>
> I don't use gnome.  Hopefully someone else can assist.  Yet, nobody else is
> complaining so it is probably something with your particular setup.

I should say that I also noticed this recently. Not using gdm:
        $ systemctl status display-manager
        * lxdm.service - LXDM (Lightweight X11 Display Manager)

HTH

--
Eyal Lebedinsky ([hidden email])
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Stephen Morris
In reply to this post by Stephen Morris

On 2/3/18 4:45 am, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> I had very slow logins from sddm and lightdm.
> Not as bad from gdm, but still not good.
>
> My culprit was staring an Xvnc server gnome
> session from my Mate autostart.  Clue was
> 50 gnome processes I owned after logging
> into a Mate session.
>
> jl

My issue starts with gdm, with gnome shell taking up to 800% of the cpu
and causing, ctrl+alt+F2 to switch to another login to time out, and if
I launch gnome from gdm the issue with gnome shell continues and causes
gnome itself to lag. If I log into kde from gdm instead of logging into
gnome the performance issue ceases and things go back to normal. If I
use kdm as the display manager, launching kde does not cause any
performance issues, and, if I launch gnome from kdm there are no
performance issues either, with gnome shell running normally and not
thrashing the cpu, so from my perspective the issue is gdm. The next
question is how do I fix it?


regards,

Steve

_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Ed Greshko
On 03/04/18 08:25, Stephen Morris wrote:
> My issue starts with gdm, with gnome shell taking up to 800% of the cpu and
> causing, ctrl+alt+F2 to switch to another login to time out, and if I launch gnome
> from gdm the issue with gnome shell continues and causes gnome itself to lag. If I
> log into kde from gdm instead of logging into gnome the performance issue ceases
> and things go back to normal. If I use kdm as the display manager, launching kde
> does not cause any performance issues, and, if I launch gnome from kdm there are no
> performance issues either, with gnome shell running normally and not thrashing the
> cpu, so from my perspective the issue is gdm. The next question is how do I fix it?


Are you running GNOME under wayland or Xorg?

Could be this.   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1517330

--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Stephen Morris
On 4/3/18 11:37 am, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 03/04/18 08:25, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> My issue starts with gdm, with gnome shell taking up to 800% of the cpu and
>> causing, ctrl+alt+F2 to switch to another login to time out, and if I launch gnome
>> from gdm the issue with gnome shell continues and causes gnome itself to lag. If I
>> log into kde from gdm instead of logging into gnome the performance issue ceases
>> and things go back to normal. If I use kdm as the display manager, launching kde
>> does not cause any performance issues, and, if I launch gnome from kdm there are no
>> performance issues either, with gnome shell running normally and not thrashing the
>> cpu, so from my perspective the issue is gdm. The next question is how do I fix it?
>
> Are you running GNOME under wayland or Xorg?
>
> Could be this.   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1517330

Thanks Ed, I tried Gnome under Wayland and Xorg and as documented in the
problem description, even though gnome shell lags with gdm, when gnome
under Xorg is started the lag disappears. The only difference in my case
is that the issue was not caused by upgrading from F26 to F27, which the
problem description seems to be indicating, it was working fine in F27,
until an update I put on caused the issue. If as indicated in the
problem description the gnome-shell issue only happens under Wayland,
does that mean that gdm runs under Wayland, and if so is there any way
to change that functionality to get gdm to run under Xorg until the
Wayland issue is resolved?


regards,

Steve


>
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Ed Greshko
On 03/04/18 09:57, Stephen Morris wrote:
> Thanks Ed, I tried Gnome under Wayland and Xorg and as documented in the problem
> description, even though gnome shell lags with gdm, when gnome under Xorg is
> started the lag disappears. The only difference in my case is that the issue was
> not caused by upgrading from F26 to F27, which the problem description seems to be
> indicating, it was working fine in F27, until an update I put on caused the issue.
> If as indicated in the problem description the gnome-shell issue only happens under
> Wayland, does that mean that gdm runs under Wayland, and if so is there any way to
> change that functionality to get gdm to run under Xorg until the Wayland issue is
> resolved?


Yes, the login screen of gdm runs under wayland by default

Edit the file /etc/gdm/custom.conf accordingly

[daemon]
# Uncoment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
#WaylandEnable=false

--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out



_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Stephen Morris
On 04/03/2018 13:39, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 03/04/18 09:57, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> Thanks Ed, I tried Gnome under Wayland and Xorg and as documented in the problem
>> description, even though gnome shell lags with gdm, when gnome under Xorg is
>> started the lag disappears. The only difference in my case is that the issue was
>> not caused by upgrading from F26 to F27, which the problem description seems to be
>> indicating, it was working fine in F27, until an update I put on caused the issue.
>> If as indicated in the problem description the gnome-shell issue only happens under
>> Wayland, does that mean that gdm runs under Wayland, and if so is there any way to
>> change that functionality to get gdm to run under Xorg until the Wayland issue is
>> resolved?
>
> Yes, the login screen of gdm runs under wayland by default
>
> Edit the file /etc/gdm/custom.conf accordingly
>
> [daemon]
> # Uncoment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
> #WaylandEnable=false

Thanks Ed, I made that change and it rectified the lagging issues with
gdm and gnome. Now to work out why dkms hasn't compiled the nvidia
driver under the new kernel.


regards,

Steve


>
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Ed Greshko
On 03/04/18 16:16, Stephen Morris wrote:
> Thanks Ed, I made that change and it rectified the lagging issues with gdm and
> gnome. Now to work out why dkms hasn't compiled the nvidia driver under the new
> kernel.


FWIW, the lagging issues may be a byproduct of your video driver.

Anyway, while I use the nVidia drivers I get mine from rpmfusion and dkms isn't used
with their packages.  So, you may have to seek help from wherever you've obtained
your drivers.

--
If simple questions can be answered with a simple google query then why are there sso
many of them?


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Stephen Morris
On 4/3/18 9:02 pm, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 03/04/18 16:16, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> Thanks Ed, I made that change and it rectified the lagging issues with gdm and
>> gnome. Now to work out why dkms hasn't compiled the nvidia driver under the new
>> kernel.
>
> FWIW, the lagging issues may be a byproduct of your video driver.
>
> Anyway, while I use the nVidia drivers I get mine from rpmfusion and dkms isn't used
> with their packages.  So, you may have to seek help from wherever you've obtained
> your drivers.

Thanks Ed. I haven't worked out why dkms did compile only the nvidia
drivers (unless its because I don't have the metadata package to track
kernel updates for the repositories binary drivers), my wifi driver and
mouse driver were compiled normally for the new kernel.

It is possible the video driver is the culprit, the repository has been
a little slow in the past providing support for Wayland, this could
explain why it happened with a system update, but having said that I
don't see why older versions of the driver would work fine but this
version not, unless Gnome Shell uses features that have only just been
provided in the new version.

As a matter of interest, which version of the nvidia drivers are you using?


regards,

Steve


>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Ed Greshko
On 03/05/18 04:18, Stephen Morris wrote:
> As a matter of interest, which version of the nvidia drivers are you using?


390.25-3   And I don't use wayland as performance in KDE is horrible

--
If simple questions can be answered with a simple google query then why are there sso
many of them?


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

Stephen Morris
On 5/3/18 7:36 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 03/05/18 04:18, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> As a matter of interest, which version of the nvidia drivers are you using?
>
> 390.25-3   And I don't use wayland as performance in KDE is horrible

 From the negativo17 repositories I'm using the source code for the same
version, with all the Xorg-x11 packages uninstalled because of conflicts
between them and the nvidia packages I do have installed.


Also as a matter of interest, I don't have any performance issues under
KDE at the moment, how do I determine whether KDE is using Xorg or
Wayland when, unlike for Gnome where the display managers provide a
Gnome Classic, Gnome for Xorg and a Gnome entry (which is the Wayland
entry if Wayland is enabled under Gnome), for KDE they only provide an
entry for Plasma and Plasma Media Center.

I also thought that Fedora was moving/had moved to Wayland as its
default rather than Xorg?


regards,

Steve


>
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
12