Fedora 28 "crash"

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail
.

Thursday evening we had a power failure and I shutdown all the computers
to get the load off my UPS's. I have booted the Fedora 28 computer this
morning and a what was a non-problem has blossomed into a real one. The
other three all booted normally when I started things after the power
came back on, however I did not try the F28 until this morning.

Since the F28 install a window has always come after the xfce desktop opens:

"Oops, We're sorry, it looks like boot_image-/
vmlinuz-4.17.18.200.fc28.x86_64 crashed. Please contact the developer ..."

I ignored it until now since it seemed to be meaningless, the system
connected to the LAN and the internet and went happily on its way. Not
so today, the cursor arrow sits in the error message box and can't be
moved and the Only thing that works is ctrl-alt-F1 which brings back the
user boot screen asking for a password, normally bobg, but I tried
alternate as well as root, which brings up Gnome, also frozen in some
strange fashion, I never use that so did not investigate much there, a
presentation hard for me t read. Along with the Oops window is another
that ells me I am connected to enp2so or whatever.

Tried the two alternative kernels, no difference.

I can ssh from this computer which allows me to reboot it conveniently

[bobg@Box10 ~]$ ssh -X bobg@192.168.1.83
bobg@192.168.1.83's password:
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
Last login: Sat Sep 15 13:51:55 2018

[bobg@box83 ~]$ su
Password:
[root@box83 bobg]# reboot

I tried "startxfce4" via ssh from this computer after a fresh start, the
xfce splash screen comes up but that crashes with a lot of errors and
I'm not even certain that approach should work.

So I am stuck and need some help troubleshooting.

Bob

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

Re: Fedora 28 "crash"

stan-3
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 14:57:10 -0400
Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I am stuck and need some help troubleshooting.

No real help, but
power failure,
computer acting funny,
leads me to wonder if your computer took a power surge that damaged
something.

You could try a live image to see if it boots successfully, and then
run some disk and memory diagnostics from there.

Re: Fedora 28 "crash"

Fred Erickson
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 12:15:06 -0700
stan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 14:57:10 -0400
> Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So I am stuck and need some help troubleshooting.
>
> No real help, but
> power failure,
> computer acting funny,
> leads me to wonder if your computer took a power surge that damaged
> something.
>
> You could try a live image to see if it boots successfully, and then
> run some disk and memory diagnostics from there.

It might be a good idea to try swapping in a known good power supply too.

Re: Fedora 28 "crash"

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail
On 09/15/18 15:15, stan wrote:
> You could try a live image to see if it boots successfully, and then
> run some disk and memory diagnostics from there.
+

Ok, I should be able to boot it from the flash drive I installed with,
I'll try that. But it's isolated from the line with a UPS.

Murphy's law prevails, I put a Centos installer on the stick I used,
I'll have to rework that, I found another that offers to install Fedora
27, but its not a Live version and just wants to install ...

I'll make another one and report back eventually.

Thanks

On 09/15/18 15:15, stan wrote:
> You could try a live image to see if it boots successfully, and then
> run some disk and memory diagnostics from there.
+
I created a live F28 flash drive and the computer runs Gnome as
expected, at least the browser views Google and Fox News ...

stan [hidden email] wrote:

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 14:57:10 -0400
Bob Goodwin [hidden email] wrote:

So I am stuck and need some help troubleshooting.
No real help, but
power failure,
computer acting funny,
leads me to wonder if your computer took a power surge that damaged
something.

You could try a live image to see if it boots successfully, and then
run some disk and memory diagnostics from there.

It might be a good idea to try swapping in a known good power supply too.
+

It boots from a Live flash drive so the hardware does not appear to be at fault. It's just another problem with
fedora 28, it's beginning to look like I'll never get to use F28.

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3

Re: Fedora 28 "crash"

stan-3
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 17:00:07 -0400
Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It boots from a Live flash drive so the hardware does not appear to
> be at fault. It's just another problem with
> fedora 28, it's beginning to look like I'll never get to use F28.

It could still be a hard drive problem, where the installed OS
resides.  If there are bad locations in critical areas, it could be
doing flaky things.  Try running a non destructive check from the live
session on the unmounted drive, e2fsck for ext2-4 filesystems.  There's
also a utility that gives the drive diagnostics, smartctl.  Both have
man pages, and the web is always there, too.

Re: Fedora 28 "crash"

Ed Greshko
On 9/16/18 2:57 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> .
>
> Thursday evening we had a power failure and I shutdown all the computers to get the
> load off my UPS's. I have booted the Fedora 28 computer this morning and a what was
> a non-problem has blossomed into a real one. The other three all booted normally
> when I started things after the power came back on, however I did not try the F28
> until this morning.
>
> Since the F28 install a window has always come after the xfce desktop opens:
>
> "Oops, We're sorry, it looks like boot_image-/ vmlinuz-4.17.18.200.fc28.x86_64
> crashed. Please contact the developer ..."
I get that sort of message occasional.  Running KDE Desktop on F28.  Pretty much
harmless.

> I ignored it until now since it seemed to be meaningless, the system connected to
> the LAN and the internet and went happily on its way. Not so today, the cursor
> arrow sits in the error message box and can't be moved and the Only thing that
> works is ctrl-alt-F1 which brings back the user boot screen asking for a password,
> normally bobg, but I tried alternate as well as root, which brings up Gnome, also
> frozen in some strange fashion, I never use that so did not investigate much there,
> a presentation hard for me t read. Along with the Oops window is another that ells
> me I am connected to enp2so or whatever.
>
> Tried the two alternative kernels, no difference.
Which kernels did you try?   Both kernel-4.18.5 and kernel-4.18.7 affect certain
mice.  The cursor won't move, but the buttons work.

> I can ssh from this computer which allows me to reboot it conveniently
>
> [bobg@Box10 ~]$ ssh -X bobg@192.168.1.83
> bobg@192.168.1.83's password:
> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
> Last login: Sat Sep 15 13:51:55 2018
>
> [bobg@box83 ~]$ su
> Password:
> [root@box83 bobg]# reboot
>
> I tried "startxfce4" via ssh from this computer after a fresh start, the xfce
> splash screen comes up but that crashes with a lot of errors and I'm not even
> certain that approach should work.

You are booting your system into a non-GUI environment and then trying to start
xfce.  Well, that works (after generating tons of messages) with KDE.  But don't know
how well that would work with xfce.

--
Cardinal Rule of Presentations: "Tell them what you are going to tell them, tell
them, then tell them what you told them."

Re: Fedora 28 "crash"

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail
On 09/15/18 18:28, stan wrote:
> It could still be a hard drive problem, where the installed OS
> resides.  If there are bad locations in critical areas, it could be
> doing flaky things.  Try running a non destructive check from the live
> session on the unmounted drive, e2fsck for ext2-4 filesystems.  There's
> also a utility that gives the drive diagnostics, smartctl.  Both have
> man pages, and the web is always there, too.
+
e2fsck /dev/sda1 reports clean, and it looks like smartctl is not present.

On 09/15/18 19:21, Ed Greshko wrote:
> You are booting your system into a non-GUI environment and then trying to start
> xfce.  Well, that works (after generating tons of messages) with KDE.  But don't know
> how well that would work with xfce.
+

Well I was just ready to try anything and all I got was screens full of
messages, maybe I should have waited longer?

Anyway, running on the F28 Live flash drive and running e2fsck as Stan
suggested, must have done something since after shutting that down it
booted normally into F28 from the hard drive and I was able to update
the system, 4.18.5.200 now. I usually update every morning and the other
kernels would have been whatever came with the most recent updates.

Thisis the end of my day, I'll shut down now and hope everything boots
again in the morning. As I said this F27 computer and the NFS ans SAMBA
servers all came back on with a button push on each one in the required
order. They were all shut down without care just touch of the power
button, only the F28 computer failed.

Thanks to all for your help,

Bob

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3

Re: Fedora 28 "crash"

Tom Horsley
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 22:27:30 -0400
Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I'll shut down now and hope everything boots
> again in the morning.

Totally different symptoms, but my system wouldn't boot after
it was unplugged for several days while I was running away
from hurricane Irma last year.

Apparently the battery on the motherboard died and I
never noticed because it always had standby power
till I unplugged it.

Re: Fedora 28 "crash"

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail
On 09/15/18 22:37, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Totally different symptoms, but my system wouldn't boot after
> it was unplugged for several days while I was running away
> from hurricane Irma last year.
>
> Apparently the battery on the motherboard died and I
> never noticed because it always had standby power
> till I unplugged it.
> ___________________
+
I've often thought that must get a lot of people. This is a new
motherboard and the battery should not be a problem, but I will consider
that if it recurs. We never know how long that battery has been powering
the RAM un-powered on Newegg's shelf. I don't remember pulling any
plastic insulator off it when I installed it a few months ago? I always
have a spare battery ...

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3

Re: Fedora 28 "crash"

Tony Nelson
On 18-09-15 20:49:43, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> On 09/15/18 18:28, stan wrote:
>> It could still be a hard drive problem, where the installed OS
>> resides.  If there are bad locations in critical areas, it could be
>> doing flaky things.  Try running a non destructive check from the
>> live
>> session on the unmounted drive, e2fsck for ext2-4 filesystems.
>> There's
>> also a utility that gives the drive diagnostics, smartctl.  Both have
>> man pages, and the web is always there, too.
> +
> e2fsck /dev/sda1 reports clean, and it looks like smartctl is not
> present.

Live systems allow installing software.

You can also read the entire disk.  A bad sector will cause an error
and stop the read, so if this completes, the disk is working:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=1M status=progress

Do this for each drive (as shown by `ls /dev/sd?`).  You can still use
the system while this is running.

Re: Fedora 28 "crash"

Richard Shaw
On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 7:50 PM Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/15/18 18:28, stan wrote:
> It could still be a hard drive problem, where the installed OS
> resides.  If there are bad locations in critical areas, it could be
> doing flaky things.  Try running a non destructive check from the live
> session on the unmounted drive, e2fsck for ext2-4 filesystems.  There's
> also a utility that gives the drive diagnostics, smartctl.  Both have
> man pages, and the web is always there, too.
+
e2fsck /dev/sda1 reports clean, and it looks like smartctl is not present.

I agree, smartctl should be on the live image. I know the idea is to keep the ISO size down but it makes the live media useless as a diagnostic utility so I usually end up keeping System Rescue CD on a old 1GB usb stick for real diagnostic work or when I'm upgrading drives and need it to move everything over.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Fedora 28 "crash"

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail
On 09/16/18 09:28, Richard Shaw wrote:

I agree, smartctl should be on the live image. I know the idea is to keep the ISO size down but it makes the live media useless as a diagnostic utility so I usually end up keeping System Rescue CD on a old 1GB usb stick for real diagnostic work or when I'm upgrading drives and need it to move everything over.

Thanks,
Richard
+
Yes, I had to dnf install it to the working live system, assume it is lost at shutdown. Ln rummaging around I found gparted on a flash stick, that's another one I seem often to need and don't always have.

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 11:41 AM Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/16/18 09:28, Richard Shaw wrote:

I agree, smartctl should be on the live image. I know the idea is to keep the ISO size down but it makes the live media useless as a diagnostic utility so I usually end up keeping System Rescue CD on a old 1GB usb stick for real diagnostic work or when I'm upgrading drives and need it to move everything over.

Thanks,
Richard
+
Yes, I had to dnf install it to the working live system, assume it is lost at shutdown. Ln rummaging around I found gparted on a flash stick, that's another one I seem often to need and don't always have.

I've used gparted live before but System Rescue CD is superior as it includes smartctl, gparted, and much more.

Thanks,
Richard