From 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS.

Bas Roufs
From 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS.

From Kubuntu 18.04 LTS to Kubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Hello Everybody.

When checking Kubuntu.org, I saw that the support for Kubuntu 18.04 LTS will finish in April. That's why, I want to transfer my laptop to the most recent version of Kubuntu 20.04  LTS. My laptop is a Lenovo X220 - with an i5 processor, 8 GB Ram, 1 TB SSD, 64 bits.

At previous upgrade & transfer moments, I did the following:

backup of data & configuration via Aptik;

fresh install of the new system - 16.04 LTS, 18.04 LTS....

restore of data and configuration via Aptik.

I have understood that there are several fundamental fundamental changes in Kubuntu 20.04, compared to the previous LTS.

My question to you - what is better in this situation:

Aptik backup in 18.04, fresh install 20.04 LTS, restore Aptik backup?

Or.....

Aptik backup, UPGRADE 18.04 > 20.04, new Aptik backup, fresh install 20.04, restore of the new Aptik backup.

The last time, I did a fresh install was in 2018. That's why, I want to do a new fresh install anyway - for maintenance purposes.  However,  I am wondering whether it is better to do an upgrade before doing so: along the instructions at Kubuntu.org.

In other words: is it better to restore at a fresh install of Kubuntu 20.04 LTS a configuration and data backup created at the same LTS version?

Thanks for your feedback.

Bas.

=============

Bas G. Roufs
(ou in achternaam Roufs: zoals in bouwen.)

+31 6 446 835 10

[hidden email]

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

3514 VT Utrecht

Re: From 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS.

girardhenri@free.fr

Hi,

I would tell you that's the best solution : Fresh install and get back the backup :)  I often do an do-release upgrade but in you case you will have 18.10 19.04 19.10 and 20.04. I am not in production and work with 21.04 but I had to upgrade to 20.10 and 21.04 which is a pain !

Bon courage

Henri

Le 26/03/2021 à 11:27, Bas Roufs a écrit :
From 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS.

From Kubuntu 18.04 LTS to Kubuntu 20.04 LTS.

[...]

Bob-6

does it matter if you do both, then let us know which worked better.
I say this as this is on my agenda for the near future

Bob

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021, Bas Roufs wrote:

> From 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS.
>
> From Kubuntu 18.04 LTS to Kubuntu 20.04 LTS.
>
> Hello Everybody.
>
> When checking Kubuntu.org, I saw that the support for Kubuntu 18.04 LTS will finish
> in April. That's why, I want to transfer my laptop to the most recent version of
> Kubuntu 20.04  LTS. My laptop is a Lenovo X220 - with an i5 processor, 8 GB Ram, 1
> TB SSD, 64 bits.
>
> At previous upgrade & transfer moments, I did the following:
>
> backup of data & configuration via Aptik;
>
> fresh install of the new system - 16.04 LTS, 18.04 LTS....
>
> restore of data and configuration via Aptik.
>
> I have understood that there are several fundamental fundamental changes in Kubuntu
> 20.04, compared to the previous LTS.
>
> My question to you - what is better in this situation:
>
> Aptik backup in 18.04, fresh install 20.04 LTS, restore Aptik backup?
>
> Or.....
>
> Aptik backup, UPGRADE 18.04 > 20.04, new Aptik backup, fresh install 20.04, restore
> of the new Aptik backup.
>
> The last time, I did a fresh install was in 2018. That's why, I want to do a new
> fresh install anyway - for maintenance purposes.  However,  I am wondering whether
> it is better to do an upgrade before doing so: along the instructions at
> Kubuntu.org.
>
> In other words: is it better to restore at a fresh install of Kubuntu 20.04 LTS a
> configuration and data backup created at the same LTS version?
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Bas.
>
> =============
>
> Bas G. Roufs
> (ou in achternaam Roufs: zoals in bouwen.)
>
> +31 6 446 835 10
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Van 't Hoffstraat 1
>
> 3514 VT Utrecht

Re: From 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS.

Clay Weber-2

On 03/26/2021 8:32 AM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

but in you case you will have 18.10 19.04 19.10 and 20.04. I am not in production and work with 21.04 but I had to upgrade to 20.10 and 21.04 which is a pain !

Bon courage

Henri

This is incorrect, the only upgrade path currently for 18.04 LTS is directly to 20.04 LTS.
This is the only sort of situation where you  can 'skip' releases when upgrading.
In any case, 18.10 through 19.10 are EOL, so 18.04 can't  be upgraded to these anyway.

Clay Weber

Re: From 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS.

Clay Weber-2

On 03/26/2021 6:27 AM Bas Roufs <[hidden email]> wrote:

From 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS.

From Kubuntu 18.04 LTS to Kubuntu 20.04 LTS.

[...]

if you are going to do a clean install of 20.04 there is zero reason to upgrade to begin with. All the Plasma settings and config carry over. I have no idea what 'fundamental changes' there are that would be an issue, Plasma settings and configs do carry over between 5.12 and 5.18. I believe that the differences between 18.04 and 20.04 are smaller than those between 16.04 and 18.04.  At least that is how I recall things.

I am not at all familiar with whatever Aptik does, or how well it supports Plasma, particularly as it costs $25 now.  But I either use a separate partition for /home, and thus don't need to restore anything on a fresh install,  or simply copy /home to another driver and then copy it back to the new install.

In any case, performing an upgrade with the intent of still doing a clean install is imo a waste of effort, if the intent is to do a clean install anyway.
But an upgrade, with a  backup of your settings Just In Case is a good practice.

Clay Weber