Fwd: Proposal: Let's drop i386

Valorie Zimmerman
Hello folks, I'm forwarding the following email to Ubuntu-devel ML to
explain the thinking on the part of the Ubuntu developers as to why
they are discontinuing the i386 images. For us, this would mean that
the 18.04 LTS is the last i386 ISO that we will be publishing. I'm
reluctant to do this, however, I do not have the time or technical
knowledge required to do this on my own, and the Kubuntu Devels want
Kubuntu to stop issuing i386 images.

Therefore, we are going to do that. For those of you who still want
and need i386, you will have 3 years of support from us on the LTS.
This means that when we're ready for the point releases (18,04.1, 2
etc.) I will still be asking for testers and expect you i386 people to
step up and do that.

For now the i386 *packages* in the archive are not going away.
However, I think the clock is ticking for them as well. On the other
hand, this will mean more attention from devels on the newer ARM stuff
which will be useful for those with Raspi or little ARM
laptop/netbooks.

Discussion is welcome, but I'm afraid that the decision has been
taken, and we'll be moving ahead to 18.10 without i386.

Valorie

Re: Fwd: Proposal: Let's drop i386

Bas Roufs
Hello Valorie and Everybody.

> .... discontinuing the i386 images. .....
> .... Kubuntu to stop issuing i386 images.

About two - three weeks ago, I have downloaded via K Torrent two ISO images
from Kubuntu 18.04 LTS: amd64 and i386. The i386 computer, an Asus Eee PC I
have been lending the first weeks after loosing my previous Lenovo X220, was a
useful "hardware backup" - however, terribly slow. That's why, I am happy to
have again another X220 - a 64 bits PC with 8 GB internal memory and an i5
processor.  It works really well with Kubuntu 18.04 LTS - the speed is
perfectly acceptable.

From this X220, K Torrent has been "seeding"/uploading both ISO's - the i386
one as well as the amd64 version.

From the i386 version, only 21,53 MiB has been seeded/ uploaded - a tiny bit
more than 1% share ratio related to 1.77 GiB - the total size of the i386 ISO,
which has been "seeding"  during 16.5 hours. There are long hours in which
that version is not' seeding"/uploading at all.

From the amd64 version, there is an ISO of 1.74 GiB. During about 50 hours (2
days) , 1.91 GiB has been uploaded - this delivers a share ratio of 110%. This
amd64 version is constantly "seeding".

Taking into account my experience as summarised here above, I can imagine the
decision to discontinue the i386 ISO's. However, it could be good to clearly
mention that decision at the Kubuntu.org website and elsewhere.

Yours.

Bas G. Roufs.

--
======
Bas G. Roufs, Utrecht, NL, EU.

Bas G. Roufs.vcf (271 bytes) Download Attachment
Bas G. Roufs.vcf (271 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Fwd: Proposal: Let's drop i386

Charlie-3
i think it's a good thing to see i386 getting dropped because that kind
of hardware's old and obsolete anyway. 64 bit computers are cheaper now
and shouldn't be too much of a burden for anyone to acquire something. i
scored a Dell Precision T1600 workstation for $35 about a month ago and
it's a 64 bit quad core Xeon processor. just saying.

On 05/16/2018 04:17 PM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> Hello folks, I'm forwarding the following email to Ubuntu-devel ML to
> explain the thinking on the part of the Ubuntu developers as to why
> they are discontinuing the i386 images. For us, this would mean that
> the 18.04 LTS is the last i386 ISO that we will be publishing. I'm
> reluctant to do this, however, I do not have the time or technical
> knowledge required to do this on my own, and the Kubuntu Devels want
> Kubuntu to stop issuing i386 images.
>
> Therefore, we are going to do that. For those of you who still want
> and need i386, you will have 3 years of support from us on the LTS.
> This means that when we're ready for the point releases (18,04.1, 2
> etc.) I will still be asking for testers and expect you i386 people to
> step up and do that.
>
> For now the i386 *packages* in the archive are not going away.
> However, I think the clock is ticking for them as well. On the other
> hand, this will mean more attention from devels on the newer ARM stuff
> which will be useful for those with Raspi or little ARM
> laptop/netbooks.
>
> Discussion is welcome, but I'm afraid that the decision has been
> taken, and we'll be moving ahead to 18.10 without i386.
>
> Valorie

accessys

unfortunately I don't have a spare 386 computer to test with but a lot of
people with disabilities are using linux and I push Kubuntu because of
financial issues many are using second or even third hand computer
equipment which often is still 32bit.
  so is catch 22 the people testing don't have the older equip to test but
a lot of the older equip is being used by people who can't afford anything
newer.

Bob

On Fri, 18 May 2018, charlie wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 09:37:10 -0700
> From: charlie <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Fwd: Proposal: Let's drop i386
>
> i think it's a good thing to see i386 getting dropped because that kind of
> hardware's old and obsolete anyway. 64 bit computers are cheaper now and
> shouldn't be too much of a burden for anyone to acquire something. i scored a
> Dell Precision T1600 workstation for $35 about a month ago and it's a 64 bit
> quad core Xeon processor. just saying.
>

> On 05/16/2018 04:17 PM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>> Hello folks, I'm forwarding the following email to Ubuntu-devel ML to
>> explain the thinking on the part of the Ubuntu developers as to why
>> they are discontinuing the i386 images. For us, this would mean that
>> the 18.04 LTS is the last i386 ISO that we will be publishing. I'm
>> reluctant to do this, however, I do not have the time or technical
>> knowledge required to do this on my own, and the Kubuntu Devels want
>> Kubuntu to stop issuing i386 images.
>>
>> Therefore, we are going to do that. For those of you who still want
>> and need i386, you will have 3 years of support from us on the LTS.
>> This means that when we're ready for the point releases (18,04.1, 2
>> etc.) I will still be asking for testers and expect you i386 people to
>> step up and do that.
>>
>> For now the i386 *packages* in the archive are not going away.
>> However, I think the clock is ticking for them as well. On the other
>> hand, this will mean more attention from devels on the newer ARM stuff
>> which will be useful for those with Raspi or little ARM
>> laptop/netbooks.
>>
>> Discussion is welcome, but I'm afraid that the decision has been
>> taken, and we'll be moving ahead to 18.10 without i386.
>>
>> Valorie

R.P. Charbonneau-2

The i386 platform is obviously becoming antiquated, and even those who are still on that platform will have access to the 18.04 image.  By the time the next release of *buntu comes about, there will be vastly fewer i386 systems (they won't run forever.)  Anyone still running an i386 processor in the next 18 months will *still* have access to that 18.04 image and the onus is on everyone to plan an upgrade to the x64 platform prior to the next LTS (quite a ways away.)  I'm not sure the extra coordinated effort required to test on a platform which is easily considered substandard now makes much sense when PCs running such processors are becoming more and more rare as time goes on.

Re: Fwd: Proposal: Let's drop i386

Jerry Lapham
On Friday, May 18, 2018 12:52:30 PM EDT [hidden email] wrote:

> unfortunately I don't have a spare 386 computer to test with but a lot of
> people with disabilities are using linux and I push Kubuntu because of
> financial issues many are using second or even third hand computer
> equipment which often is still 32bit.
>
>   so is catch 22 the people testing don't have the older equip to test but
>
> a lot of the older equip is being used by people who can't afford anything
> newer.

Aren't we missing the fact that it's not absolutely necessary to run the very
latest version?  If you're using old hardware, run the old version that's
already on it.

        -Jerry

Re: Fwd: Proposal: Let's drop i386

Glenn Holmer-3
On 05/16/2018 06:17 PM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> Hello folks, I'm forwarding the following email to Ubuntu-devel ML to
> explain the thinking on the part of the Ubuntu developers as to why
> they are discontinuing the i386 images. For us, this would mean that
> the 18.04 LTS is the last i386 ISO that we will be publishing.

I agree with the removal. At this point, i386 is a specialist platform
more suited to the retro community. People who still have i386 systems
(including two here in my lab) shouldn't be surprised if they need to
use specialized distros rather than the mainstream ones.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: Fwd: Proposal: Let's drop i386

Stephen Morris
On 17/5/18 9:17 am, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> Hello folks, I'm forwarding the following email to Ubuntu-devel ML to
> explain the thinking on the part of the Ubuntu developers as to why
> they are discontinuing the i386 images. For us, this would mean that
> the 18.04 LTS is the last i386 ISO that we will be publishing. I'm
> reluctant to do this, however, I do not have the time or technical
> knowledge required to do this on my own, and the Kubuntu Devels want
> Kubuntu to stop issuing i386 images.
>
> Therefore, we are going to do that. For those of you who still want
> and need i386, you will have 3 years of support from us on the LTS.
> This means that when we're ready for the point releases (18,04.1, 2
> etc.) I will still be asking for testers and expect you i386 people to
> step up and do that.
>
> For now the i386 *packages* in the archive are not going away.
> However, I think the clock is ticking for them as well. On the other
> hand, this will mean more attention from devels on the newer ARM stuff
> which will be useful for those with Raspi or little ARM
> laptop/netbooks.
>
> Discussion is welcome, but I'm afraid that the decision has been
> taken, and we'll be moving ahead to 18.10 without i386.
>
> Valorie

Is this article saying that from 18.10 onwards people are not going to
be able to run 32 bit applications on their 64 bit images? If that is
the case I think this decision is a bit short sighted. There are lots of
applications out there that are 32 bit only and don't exist as 64 bit
versions (a case in point is steam, I run steam in 2 linux environments
and a windows environment, and it is only 32 bit in all environments and
in both linux environments I have to specifically install 32 bit
versions of a number of packages to get steam to run), so if this
decision is saying that going forwards we cannot run 32 bit apps,
especially if they are provided by sources other than Kubuntu, then that
makes the usefulness of Kubuntu extremely limited, and personally, I
would be forced to stop using Kubuntu and Ubuntu.

regards,

Steve

ray burke
I read Steve response and agree whole heartily to what he says!

Ray

On 7/11/18, Stephen Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/5/18 9:17 am, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>> Hello folks, I'm forwarding the following email to Ubuntu-devel ML to
>> explain the thinking on the part of the Ubuntu developers as to why
>> they are discontinuing the i386 images. For us, this would mean that
>> the 18.04 LTS is the last i386 ISO that we will be publishing. I'm
>> reluctant to do this, however, I do not have the time or technical
>> knowledge required to do this on my own, and the Kubuntu Devels want
>> Kubuntu to stop issuing i386 images.
>>
>> Therefore, we are going to do that. For those of you who still want
>> and need i386, you will have 3 years of support from us on the LTS.
>> This means that when we're ready for the point releases (18,04.1, 2
>> etc.) I will still be asking for testers and expect you i386 people to
>> step up and do that.
>>
>> For now the i386 *packages* in the archive are not going away.
>> However, I think the clock is ticking for them as well. On the other
>> hand, this will mean more attention from devels on the newer ARM stuff
>> which will be useful for those with Raspi or little ARM
>> laptop/netbooks.
>>
>> Discussion is welcome, but I'm afraid that the decision has been
>> taken, and we'll be moving ahead to 18.10 without i386.
>>
>> Valorie
>
> Is this article saying that from 18.10 onwards people are not going to
> be able to run 32 bit applications on their 64 bit images? If that is
> the case I think this decision is a bit short sighted. There are lots of
> applications out there that are 32 bit only and don't exist as 64 bit
> versions (a case in point is steam, I run steam in 2 linux environments
> and a windows environment, and it is only 32 bit in all environments and
> in both linux environments I have to specifically install 32 bit
> versions of a number of packages to get steam to run), so if this
> decision is saying that going forwards we cannot run 32 bit apps,
> especially if they are provided by sources other than Kubuntu, then that
> makes the usefulness of Kubuntu extremely limited, and personally, I
> would be forced to stop using Kubuntu and Ubuntu.
>

> regards,
>
> Steve

Cody Smith-2
I'm pretty sure 32-bit compat libs will be there for some time, a lot of programs in the repos still rely on them, such as steam, wine, discord and many others. The 32bit libs for the most part are maintained by upstream Debian and not Kubuntu.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018, 4:03 PM ray burke <[hidden email]> wrote:
I read Steve response and agree whole heartily to what he says!

Ray

On 7/11/18, Stephen Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 17/5/18 9:17 am, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>> Hello folks, I'm forwarding the following email to Ubuntu-devel ML to
>> explain the thinking on the part of the Ubuntu developers as to why
>> they are discontinuing the i386 images. For us, this would mean that
>> the 18.04 LTS is the last i386 ISO that we will be publishing. I'm
>> reluctant to do this, however, I do not have the time or technical
>> knowledge required to do this on my own, and the Kubuntu Devels want
>> Kubuntu to stop issuing i386 images.
>>
>> Therefore, we are going to do that. For those of you who still want
>> and need i386, you will have 3 years of support from us on the LTS.
>> This means that when we're ready for the point releases (18,04.1, 2
>> etc.) I will still be asking for testers and expect you i386 people to
>> step up and do that.
>>
>> For now the i386 *packages* in the archive are not going away.
>> However, I think the clock is ticking for them as well. On the other
>> hand, this will mean more attention from devels on the newer ARM stuff
>> which will be useful for those with Raspi or little ARM
>> laptop/netbooks.
>>
>> Discussion is welcome, but I'm afraid that the decision has been
>> taken, and we'll be moving ahead to 18.10 without i386.
>>
>> Valorie
>
> Is this article saying that from 18.10 onwards people are not going to
> be able to run 32 bit applications on their 64 bit images? If that is
> the case I think this decision is a bit short sighted. There are lots of
> applications out there that are 32 bit only and don't exist as 64 bit
> versions (a case in point is steam, I run steam in 2 linux environments
> and a windows environment, and it is only 32 bit in all environments and
> in both linux environments I have to specifically install 32 bit
> versions of a number of packages to get steam to run), so if this
> decision is saying that going forwards we cannot run 32 bit apps,
> especially if they are provided by sources other than Kubuntu, then that
> makes the usefulness of Kubuntu extremely limited, and personally, I
> would be forced to stop using Kubuntu and Ubuntu.
>

> regards,
>
> Steve

Nils Kassube
Stephen Morris wrote:
> On 17/5/18 9:17 am, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> > explain the thinking on the part of the Ubuntu developers as to why
> > they are discontinuing the i386 images. For us, this would mean that
> > the 18.04 LTS is the last i386 ISO that we will be publishing.

> > For now the i386 *packages* in the archive are not going away.

> Is this article saying that from 18.10 onwards people are not going to
> be able to run 32 bit applications on their 64 bit images?

No, if you read the important parts again (see above) you should notice
that the i386 packages will still be available. The only thing removed
are the i386 images. The term "images" refers to the install images,
i.e. you won't get the ISO images to create install media for i386
machines.

Nils

Re: Fwd: Proposal: Let's drop i386

ray burke
Nils 11//7/2018,

I am glad you explained the  "drop i386" more layman to other people, Thanks?

Ray

On 11/7/18 1:55 pm, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Stephen Morris wrote:
>> On 17/5/18 9:17 am, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>>> explain the thinking on the part of the Ubuntu developers as to why
>>> they are discontinuing the i386 images. For us, this would mean that
>>> the 18.04 LTS is the last i386 ISO that we will be publishing.
>>> For now the i386 *packages* in the archive are not going away.
>> Is this article saying that from 18.10 onwards people are not going to
>> be able to run 32 bit applications on their 64 bit images?
> No, if you read the important parts again (see above) you should notice
> that the i386 packages will still be available. The only thing removed
> are the i386 images. The term "images" refers to the install images,
> i.e. you won't get the ISO images to create install media for i386
> machines.

Yes 18.04 is the last i386 iso, but Valorie also says the she believes
the i386 packages only have a limited lifetime and her closing remark
says that 18.10 will be without i386. She does say that for the 18.04.1
etc point releases that the i386 packages will be there but her closing
remark makes it sound like they are gone with 18.10. If I have
misinterpreted her closing statement I apologise, but if I have
misinterpreted it then it needs more clarification around exactly what
is meant so that it is not open to misinterpretation.

regards,

Steve

> Nils

Re: Fwd: Proposal: Let's drop i386

Cody Smith-2
i386 packages for a lot of things likely will be there as a lot of town things (steam, Wine and Crossover to just name a few) rely on 32bit libraries.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 3:05 PM, Stephen Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/7/18 1:55 pm, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>
>> Stephen Morris wrote:

>>> Is this article saying that from 18.10 onwards people are not going to
>>> be able to run 32 bit applications on their 64 bit images?
>>
>> No, if you read the important parts again (see above) you should notice
>> that the i386 packages will still be available. The only thing removed
>> are the i386 images. The term "images" refers to the install images,
>> i.e. you won't get the ISO images to create install media for i386
>> machines.
>

> Yes 18.04 is the last i386 iso, but Valorie also says the she believes the
> i386 packages only have a limited lifetime and her closing remark says that
> 18.10 will be without i386. She does say that for the 18.04.1 etc point
> releases that the i386 packages will be there but her closing remark makes
> it sound like they are gone with 18.10. If I have misinterpreted her closing
> statement I apologise, but if I have misinterpreted it then it needs more
> clarification around exactly what is meant so that it is not open to
> misinterpretation.
>
> regards,
>
> Steve
>

>> Nils

The i386 *packages* will probably disappear one by one over time. I
doubt that is tied in any way to Ubuntu releases, but rather to
upstream support. When a package is supported and people want it, in
general it is available, as developers have time to update packaging.
When upstream begins to stop making even bugfix releases, packages
begin bit-rotting, and eventually will be deprecated.

So, if you depend on some i386 package, please support those upstream
developers! File good bug reports, respond when asked to test out
fixes, and encourage them to make new releases. When there *is* a new
release, file a bug `ubuntu-bug packagename` in the commandline, and
fill out a "needs packaging" bug report on launchpad. Again, remain
responsive (and even gently remind your favorite packagers) to
inquiries on the bug report and remember to thank and otherwise
support your hard-working volunteer packagers, testers, documentation
writers and others who provide you -- for free -- the tools which make
your life better. :-)

Valorie

On 8/8/18 6:43 pm, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 3:05 PM, Stephen Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> No, if you read the important parts again (see above) you should notice
>>> that the i386 packages will still be available. The only thing removed
>>> are the i386 images. The term "images" refers to the install images,
>>> i.e. you won't get the ISO images to create install media for i386
>>> machines.
>>
>> Yes 18.04 is the last i386 iso, but Valorie also says the she believes the
>> i386 packages only have a limited lifetime and her closing remark says that
>> 18.10 will be without i386. She does say that for the 18.04.1 etc point
>> releases that the i386 packages will be there but her closing remark makes
>> it sound like they are gone with 18.10. If I have misinterpreted her closing
>> statement I apologise, but if I have misinterpreted it then it needs more
>> clarification around exactly what is meant so that it is not open to
>> misinterpretation.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Steve
>>
>>> Nils
> The i386 *packages* will probably disappear one by one over time. I
> doubt that is tied in any way to Ubuntu releases, but rather to
> upstream support. When a package is supported and people want it, in
> general it is available, as developers have time to update packaging.
> When upstream begins to stop making even bugfix releases, packages
> begin bit-rotting, and eventually will be deprecated.
>
> So, if you depend on some i386 package, please support those upstream
> developers! File good bug reports, respond when asked to test out
> fixes, and encourage them to make new releases. When there *is* a new
> release, file a bug `ubuntu-bug packagename` in the commandline, and
> fill out a "needs packaging" bug report on launchpad. Again, remain
> responsive (and even gently remind your favorite packagers) to
> inquiries on the bug report and remember to thank and otherwise
> support your hard-working volunteer packagers, testers, documentation
> writers and others who provide you -- for free -- the tools which make
> your life better. :-)

The problem with this is that products like steam, which download
components from upstream when run (particularly when run the first time,
where it downloads a lot of packages, including packages named for
Ubuntu even on other linux distributions), but still require 32 bit
versions of standard linux packages even though 64 bit versions of those
packages already exist and have existed for some time. I have been in
the situation on another distribution where steam refused to run because
I only had 64 bit versions of packages it needed installed, and I had to
manually install the 32 bit versions of the same packages so that steam
would run.

regards,

Steve

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 2:15 PM Stephen Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/8/18 6:43 pm, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes 18.04 is the last i386 iso, but Valorie also says the she believes the
> >> i386 packages only have a limited lifetime and her closing remark says that
> >> 18.10 will be without i386. She does say that for the 18.04.1 etc point
> >> releases that the i386 packages will be there but her closing remark makes
> >> it sound like they are gone with 18.10. If I have misinterpreted her closing
> >> statement I apologise, but if I have misinterpreted it then it needs more
> >> clarification around exactly what is meant so that it is not open to
> >> misinterpretation.
> >>
> >> regards,
> >>
> >> Steve

> > The i386 *packages* will probably disappear one by one over time. I
> > doubt that is tied in any way to Ubuntu releases, but rather to
> > upstream support. When a package is supported and people want it, in
> > general it is available, as developers have time to update packaging.
> > When upstream begins to stop making even bugfix releases, packages
> > begin bit-rotting, and eventually will be deprecated.
> >
> > So, if you depend on some i386 package, please support those upstream
> > developers! File good bug reports, respond when asked to test out
> > fixes, and encourage them to make new releases. When there *is* a new
> > release, file a bug `ubuntu-bug packagename` in the commandline, and
> > fill out a "needs packaging" bug report on launchpad. Again, remain
> > responsive (and even gently remind your favorite packagers) to
> > inquiries on the bug report and remember to thank and otherwise
> > support your hard-working volunteer packagers, testers, documentation
> > writers and others who provide you -- for free -- the tools which make
> > your life better. :-)
>
> The problem with this is that products like steam, which download
> components from upstream when run (particularly when run the first time,
> where it downloads a lot of packages, including packages named for
> Ubuntu even on other linux distributions), but still require 32 bit
> versions of standard linux packages even though 64 bit versions of those
> packages already exist and have existed for some time. I have been in
> the situation on another distribution where steam refused to run because
> I only had 64 bit versions of packages it needed installed, and I had to
> manually install the 32 bit versions of the same packages so that steam
> would run.
>

> regards,
>
> Steve

Sure. However, this has zero to do with the i386 ISOs going away, and
Steam calling for out-dated packages is not under Kubuntu or even
Ubuntu control. I suggest discussing this with the Steam packagers to
see what can be done.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez