Is -current snapshot only used in current system?

Is -current snapshot only used in current system?

Nan Xiao
Hi misc@,

Greeting from me!

Maybe a dumb question here. I want to use -current snapshot, and
my current OBSD is 6.3. So I download the newest -current bsd.rd,
and use it to upgrade. It prompts me the upgrade is success, but
the system can't boot. So I think this method only applies to system
is already -current, right? Because I can't find answer from
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html, just want to confirm it.

Thanks very much in advance!

Best Regards
Nan Xiao

Re: Is -current snapshot only used in current system?

Peter N. M. Hansteen
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 04:51:24PM +0800, Nan Xiao wrote:

> Maybe a dumb question here. I want to use -current snapshot, and
> my current OBSD is 6.3. So I download the newest -current bsd.rd,
> and use it to upgrade. It prompts me the upgrade is success, but
> the system can't boot. So I think this method only applies to system
> is already -current, right? Because I can't find answer from
> https://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html, just want to confirm it.

I imagine most people who run snapshots tend to (like me) jump from one
recent snapshot to slightly newer ones, but in principle going from the
most recent release to a snapshot should not be much different from
upgrading from one release to the next.

With the info provided it's next to impossible to pinpoint just what fails
in your case, but my hunch is that you made some sort of mistake during
the upgrade process. Hard to tell which without more information about
your environment and hardware (dmesg much appreciated when supplied).

- Peter

Re: Is -current snapshot only used in current system?

Otto Moerbeek
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 04:51:24PM +0800, Nan Xiao wrote:

> Hi misc@,
>
> Greeting from me!
>
> Maybe a dumb question here. I want to use -current snapshot, and
> my current OBSD is 6.3. So I download the newest -current bsd.rd,
> and use it to upgrade. It prompts me the upgrade is success, but
> the system can't boot. So I think this method only applies to system
> is already -current, right? Because I can't find answer from
> https://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html, just want to confirm it.
>
> Thanks very much in advance!
>
> Best Regards
> Nan Xiao

The bsd.rd upgrade from release/stable to current should work in
general. But since you neglect to give any details what did not work,
we cannot tell what is going on.

        -Otto

Re: Is -current snapshot only used in current system?

Nan Xiao
Hi Peter & Otto,

Thanks very much for your response!

My laptop is very old: Fujitsu LifeBook T5010
(https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352819,00.asp) .

During booting, it shows:

>>OpenBSD/amd64 BOOT 3.39

Then it flashes one line (I can't see that line clearly, and it
should display load something), and the system will reboot again.

The system will loop the above flow, reboot again and again.

Now I doubt it is related to partition issue, but not sure.
I divided the whole disk (MBR) into 2 partitions:

From offset 64, 4G swap, the left is mounted as '/'.

This method at least works for OpenBSD 6.2.

Thanks very much!
Best Regards
Nan Xiao

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 04:51:24PM +0800, Nan Xiao wrote:
>
>> Hi misc@,
>>
>> Greeting from me!
>>
>> Maybe a dumb question here. I want to use -current snapshot, and
>> my current OBSD is 6.3. So I download the newest -current bsd.rd,
>> and use it to upgrade. It prompts me the upgrade is success, but
>> the system can't boot. So I think this method only applies to system
>> is already -current, right? Because I can't find answer from
>> https://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html, just want to confirm it.
>>
>> Thanks very much in advance!
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Nan Xiao
>
> The bsd.rd upgrade from release/stable to current should work in
> general. But since you neglect to give any details what did not work,
> we cannot tell what is going on.
>
>         -Otto

Re: Is -current snapshot only used in current system?

Nick Holland
On 05/16/18 05:42, Nan Xiao wrote:

> Hi Peter & Otto,
>
> Thanks very much for your response!
>
> My laptop is very old: Fujitsu LifeBook T5010
> (https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352819,00.asp) .
>
> During booting, it shows:
>
>>>OpenBSD/amd64 BOOT 3.39

"very old" and "amd64" is the first warning sign.
(or maybe it just means I need to upgrade my hw :) )

> Then it flashes one line (I can't see that line clearly, and it
> should display load something), and the system will reboot again.
>
> The system will loop the above flow, reboot again and again.

That's close (though not precisely what I recall, but it's been a few
years) to what happens if you run amd64 on a 32 bit only proc.

> Now I doubt it is related to partition issue, but not sure.
> I divided the whole disk (MBR) into 2 partitions:
>
>>From offset 64, 4G swap, the left is mounted as '/'.
>
> This method at least works for OpenBSD 6.2.

it's also possible your BIOS doesn't support loading data from "big"
disks.  Your new kernel might have landed higher than your BIOS can
read.  There are reasons your One Big Partition isn't recommended.

> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 04:51:24PM +0800, Nan Xiao wrote:
>>
>>> Hi misc@,
>>>
>>> Greeting from me!
>>>
>>> Maybe a dumb question here. I want to use -current snapshot, and
>>> my current OBSD is 6.3. So I download the newest -current bsd.rd,
>>> and use it to upgrade. It prompts me the upgrade is success, but
>>> the system can't boot. So I think this method only applies to system
>>> is already -current, right? Because I can't find answer from
>>> https://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html, just want to confirm it.

Nope.  As long as you move FORWARD, all is good.  -current is just a
step along the way to next -release, the next -release is just a spot in
the -current continuum.

Nick.