Is it safe for Lenovo laptops to install the Ubuntu 17.10 now

Is it safe for Lenovo laptops to install the Ubuntu 17.10 now

Bao Kai
I found some conflicting information on line, some said the bug has been fixed in the release from Jan. 11st, 2018, some said the bug is still there. The affected laptops should not install Ubuntu 17.10.

I am here to seek more reliable information about this issue now. I am changing my hard drive and I need a fresh installation of Ubuntu.

Best,
Kai

Re: Is it safe for Lenovo laptops to install the Ubuntu 17.10 now

Chris Green
On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 08:54:05AM +0100, Bao Kai wrote:
>    I found some conflicting information on line, some said the bug has
>    been fixed in the release from Jan. 11st, 2018, some said the bug is
>    still there. The affected laptops should not install Ubuntu 17.10.
>    I am here to seek more reliable information about this issue now. I am
>    changing my hard drive and I need a fresh installation of Ubuntu.

I've had xubuntu 17.10 running since Novemeber or December 2017 on my
Lenovo T470, no (serious) issues at all.

--
Chris Green

Re: Is it safe for Lenovo laptops to install the Ubuntu 17.10 now

Colin Law-2
On 2 March 2018 at 11:29, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 08:54:05AM +0100, Bao Kai wrote:
>>    I found some conflicting information on line, some said the bug has
>>    been fixed in the release from Jan. 11st, 2018, some said the bug is
>>    still there. The affected laptops should not install Ubuntu 17.10.
>>    I am here to seek more reliable information about this issue now. I am
>>    changing my hard drive and I need a fresh installation of Ubuntu.
>
> I've had xubuntu 17.10 running since Novemeber or December 2017 on my
> Lenovo T470, no (serious) issues at all.

Not sure that is relevant as it was only certain machines that were affected.

According to this comment on the bug [1] the latest images contain the
fix to stop it happening.  It seems the on-going issues are to do with
those who already have the problem and are trying to recover from it.

Make sure you download the latest image.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1734147/comments/538

Colin

Re: Is it safe for Lenovo laptops to install the Ubuntu 17.10 now

Bao Kai
Not sure that is relevant as it was only certain machines that were affected.
According to this comment on the bug [1] the latest images contain the
fix to stop it happening.  It seems the on-going issues are to do with
those who already have the problem and are trying to recover from it.
Make sure you download the latest image.
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1734147/comments/538
Colin

Thanks.  But in this link

It is still saying the following. So some official confirmation will be appreciated.
I would like try to try 17.10, while I do not want to face the really disturbing consequence.

Best,
Kai

Known issues

As is to be expected, with any release, there are some significant known bugs that users may run into with this release of Ubuntu 17.10. The ones we know about at this point (and some of the workarounds), are documented here so you don't need to spend time reporting these bugs again:

Incompatibility with BIOS in certain Lenovo, Acer systems

A bug in the Linux 4.13 kernel shipped in Ubuntu 17.10 can leave users unable to update any of their BIOS settings, including their system’s boot order, after booting this version of Ubuntu.

A kernel with a fix for this issue will be available in zesty-updates shortly, but, the Ubuntu 17.10 installer images still contain the kernel with this bug. Users with affected systems should not upgrade to Ubuntu 17.10 or boot an Ubuntu 17.10 installer image until this issue as resolved. Doing so may result in your computer requiring professional servicing in order to restore BIOS functionality.

A full list of known affected models can be found in 1734147.

If you have already installed Ubuntu 17.10 on an affected system, you may not immediately notice this problem because Ubuntu will continue to boot from disk. To verify whether your system has been affected by this bug, create a USB stick with the Ubuntu 16.04 desktop image and try to boot it. If you are able to boot it, your system has most likely not been impacted by this bug.

Re: Is it safe for Lenovo laptops to install the Ubuntu 17.10 now

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Freitag, den 02.03.2018, 08:54 +0100 schrieb Bao Kai:
> I found some conflicting information on line, some said the bug has
> been fixed in the release from Jan. 11st, 2018, some said the bug is
> still there. The affected laptops should not install Ubuntu 17.10.
>
> I am here to seek more reliable information about this issue now. I
> am changing my hard drive and I need a fresh installation of Ubuntu.

the isos have been re-spun as 17.10.1 at [1] ... they contain all the
required fixes, just make sure to get the .1 release and it should be
fine ...

ciao
        oli

[1] http://releases.ubuntu.com/17.10.1/

On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 11:42:33AM +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> On 2 March 2018 at 11:29, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 08:54:05AM +0100, Bao Kai wrote:
> >>    I found some conflicting information on line, some said the bug has
> >>    been fixed in the release from Jan. 11st, 2018, some said the bug is
> >>    still there. The affected laptops should not install Ubuntu 17.10.
> >>    I am here to seek more reliable information about this issue now. I am
> >>    changing my hard drive and I need a fresh installation of Ubuntu.
> >
> > I've had xubuntu 17.10 running since Novemeber or December 2017 on my
> > Lenovo T470, no (serious) issues at all.
>
> Not sure that is relevant as it was only certain machines that were affected.

Yes, but the OP didn't specify their machine so it *might* well be
relevant.

--
Chris Green

On 2 March 2018 at 12:40, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 02.03.2018, 08:54 +0100 schrieb Bao Kai:
>> I found some conflicting information on line, some said the bug has
>> been fixed in the release from Jan. 11st, 2018, some said the bug is
>> still there. The affected laptops should not install Ubuntu 17.10.
>>
>> I am here to seek more reliable information about this issue now. I
>> am changing my hard drive and I need a fresh installation of Ubuntu.
>>

> the isos have been re-spun as 17.10.1 at [1] ... they contain all the
> required fixes, just make sure to get the .1 release and it should be
> fine ...

Bao Kai is correct in saying that the release notes for the 17.10
installer [1] linked to from the Desktop download page for 17.10.1 [2]
still have this issue in the Known Issues section at the bottom.
Possibly the release notes need to be updated accordingly

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseNotes?_ga=2.209410322.1075533256.1519927551-135491812.1519054530

[2] https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Colin

Am Freitag, den 02.03.2018, 12:47 +0000 schrieb Colin Law:

> Bao Kai is correct in saying that the release notes for the 17.10
> installer [1] linked to from the Desktop download page for 17.10.1
> [2]
> still have this issue in the Known Issues section at the bottom.
> Possibly the release notes need to be updated accordingly
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseNotes?_ga=2.2094103
> 22.1075533256.1519927551-135491812.1519054530
>
> [2] https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

the new isos were released on 2018-01-12 (see their timestamps), the
last edit of the release-notes wiki page is from 2017-12-19 ... so
yeah, they will need updating ...

looking at the manifest file (the list of iso contents) at [1] you see
that the iso ships with 4.13.0-21.24 ... the changelog entry for this
package is at [2].

ciao
        oli

[1] http://releases.ubuntu.com/17.10.1/ubuntu-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.man
ifest
[2] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/4.13.0-21.24

Re: Is it safe for Lenovo laptops to install the Ubuntu 17.10 now

Bret Busby-2
On 02/03/2018, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2 March 2018 at 12:40, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> hi,
>> Am Freitag, den 02.03.2018, 08:54 +0100 schrieb Bao Kai:
>>> I found some conflicting information on line, some said the bug has
>>> been fixed in the release from Jan. 11st, 2018, some said the bug is
>>> still there. The affected laptops should not install Ubuntu 17.10.
>>>
>>> I am here to seek more reliable information about this issue now. I
>>> am changing my hard drive and I need a fresh installation of Ubuntu.
>>>

>> the isos have been re-spun as 17.10.1 at [1] ... they contain all the
>> required fixes, just make sure to get the .1 release and it should be
>> fine ...
>
> Bao Kai is correct in saying that the release notes for the 17.10
> installer [1] linked to from the Desktop download page for 17.10.1 [2]
> still have this issue in the Known Issues section at the bottom.
> Possibly the release notes need to be updated accordingly
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseNotes?_ga=2.209410322.1075533256.1519927551-135491812.1519054530
>
> [2] https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
>
> Colin

From what I understand, from the web page at the first of the two
links in Colin's message, the problem also applied to Ubuntu 16.04,
and, to Acer systems with Haswell CPU's (if I am wrong, please tell
me).

One aspect to this problem, which may also apply to the original
poster - is the problem overcome (or, will it be overcome) in Bouncy
Bantam, or whatever 18.04 will be named, which is due next month?

Also, as the problem description (I think) appears to involve login
screens not being displayed on external monitors for "laptops", I am
wondering whether 18.04 will display the wjole of the boot sequence
output (as much as it is displayed on screens) on exrternal monitors
connected to "laptops".

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

On 03/03/2018, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/03/2018, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2 March 2018 at 12:40, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> hi,

>>> the isos have been re-spun as 17.10.1 at [1] ... they contain all the
>>> required fixes, just make sure to get the .1 release and it should be
>>> fine ...
>>
>> Bao Kai is correct in saying that the release notes for the 17.10
>> installer [1] linked to from the Desktop download page for 17.10.1 [2]
>> still have this issue in the Known Issues section at the bottom.
>> Possibly the release notes need to be updated accordingly
>>
>> [1]
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseNotes?_ga=2.209410322.1075533256.1519927551-135491812.1519054530
>>
>> [2] https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
>>
>> Colin
>>

> From what I understand, from the web page at the first of the two
> links in Colin's message, the problem also applied to Ubuntu 16.04,
> and, to Acer systems with Haswell CPU's (if I am wrong, please tell
> me).
>
> One aspect to this problem, which may also apply to the original
> poster - is the problem overcome (or, will it be overcome) in Bouncy
> Bantam, or whatever 18.04 will be named, which is due next month?
>
> Also, as the problem description (I think) appears to involve login
> screens not being displayed on external monitors for "laptops", I am
> wondering whether 18.04 will display the wjole of the boot sequence
> output (as much as it is displayed on screens) on exrternal monitors
> connected to "laptops".

Sorry - that problem is in the release notes for 17.10, and is a
different problem/bug;

"
When an external monitor is connected to a laptop, the login screen is
only displayed on the internal one and in some case is not visible
(1723025)
"

I note also, there is

"
Systems may fail to boot when connected over DisplayPort to an
external screen, on NVidia graphics hardware such as the GTX970
chipset. (1723619)
"

I do not know what is DisplayPort (the HDMI output socket?), but I am
wondering whether that problem involves nouveau, and thence, systems
with nVidia Optimus.

Also, whilst this is now digressing from the thread topic, I am
wondering whether, when 18.04 is released, the Release Notes will
include changes from 16.04 to 18.04  (LTS to LTS), or, just changes
from 17.10 to 18.04, in addition to unresolved problems.