Issues trying to lock-down display resolution and overscan

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Issues trying to lock-down display resolution and overscan

Go Canes
 A while back my Intel NUC failed, and I replaced it with a newer one.
Since then I have been having a few issues with my display.

The first is overscan - the NUC is used as a media PC, and is hooked
up via an A/V receiver to a HDTV using HDMI.  Unfortunately there
doesn't seem to be a way to tell the TV to turn off the overscan.
With the older NUC, I used intel_panel_fitter (I think) to adjust the
display, and all was well.  But that program doesn't work on the new
NUC.  I can however, use xrandr's transform settings, and this seems
to be OK.  If anyone has better ideas for accommodating overscan
(other than buying a new TV), I would love to hear it!

The second issue is that when I switch the TV away from the NUC, and
then eventually back to the NUC, the display is zoomed slightly - just
enough so that the KDE bar at the bottom is now off-screen.  I can use
xrandr to reset the transforms to their default, and then re-apply my
desired transforms and it is back to where it should be.  But I would
like to eliminate this annoying "zoom" altogether if possible.  I
thought maybe treating it similar to a KVM switch, and forcing the
modeline within the xorg config would help, but it doesn't seem to
change the behavior at all.

The third issue is that sometimes I lose the display more-or-less
completely.  I switch the receiver to the NUC, and I get a black
screen.  If I reboot (via a ssh session), I get nothing.  To get the
display back, I have to poweroff and cold boot.  The login screen is
fine, but after logging-in, KDE seems to be set for a lower resolution
(800x600?) than the TV is using (1080i), and I have go into "System
Settings" to correct it - which is difficult when you can't really
read the display very well!

Any suggestions on these issues would be appreciated!  My google
searches haven't come up with much help.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues trying to lock-down display resolution and overscan

John Pilkington
On 04/04/18 17:47, Go Canes wrote:

>   A while back my Intel NUC failed, and I replaced it with a newer one.
> Since then I have been having a few issues with my display.
>
> The first is overscan - the NUC is used as a media PC, and is hooked
> up via an A/V receiver to a HDTV using HDMI.  Unfortunately there
> doesn't seem to be a way to tell the TV to turn off the overscan.
> With the older NUC, I used intel_panel_fitter (I think) to adjust the
> display, and all was well.  But that program doesn't work on the new
> NUC.  I can however, use xrandr's transform settings, and this seems
> to be OK.  If anyone has better ideas for accommodating overscan
> (other than buying a new TV), I would love to hear it!

For some time I thought I had set my Panasonic TV to disable overscan
(it's in an Advanced Settings screen) but overscanning persisted.  Then
I realised that it is disabled *only* when 16:9 aspect is also
specifically enabled - not just auto selected.  That may not apply to
your TV, but a bit more hunting might be worthwhile.

>
> The second issue is that when I switch the TV away from the NUC, and
> then eventually back to the NUC, the display is zoomed slightly - just
> enough so that the KDE bar at the bottom is now off-screen.  I can use
> xrandr to reset the transforms to their default, and then re-apply my
> desired transforms and it is back to where it should be.  But I would
> like to eliminate this annoying "zoom" altogether if possible.  I
> thought maybe treating it similar to a KVM switch, and forcing the
> modeline within the xorg config would help, but it doesn't seem to
> change the behavior at all.
>
> The third issue is that sometimes I lose the display more-or-less
> completely.  I switch the receiver to the NUC, and I get a black
> screen.  If I reboot (via a ssh session), I get nothing.  To get the
> display back, I have to poweroff and cold boot.  The login screen is
> fine, but after logging-in, KDE seems to be set for a lower resolution
> (800x600?) than the TV is using (1080i), and I have go into "System
> Settings" to correct it - which is difficult when you can't really
> read the display very well!
>
> Any suggestions on these issues would be appreciated!  My google
> searches haven't come up with much help.

_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues trying to lock-down display resolution and overscan

Fedora mailing list
In reply to this post by Go Canes
Allegedly, on or about 4 April 2018, Go Canes sent:
> The first is overscan - the NUC is used as a media PC, and is hooked
> up via an A/V receiver to a HDTV using HDMI.  Unfortunately there
> doesn't seem to be a way to tell the TV to turn off the overscan.

Are you able to rename the input socket used on the TV?  On some sets,
if you name it "PC," it will switch off overscan.

Your "zooming" problem is probably related.

> The third issue is that sometimes I lose the display more-or-less
> completely.  I switch the receiver to the NUC, and I get a black
> screen.  If I reboot (via a ssh session), I get nothing.  To get the
> display back, I have to poweroff and cold boot.  The login screen is
> fine, but after logging-in, KDE seems to be set for a lower
> resolution (800x600?) than the TV is using (1080i), and I have go
> into "System Settings" to correct it - which is difficult when you
> can't really read the display very well!

I've seen that kind of thing where Linux is setting resolutions
automatically based on the monitor's capabilities.  But, at the time
that X was figuring this information out, the monitor hadn't come out
of standby mode, and wasn't responding to probes.

Does that sound like the timing of events with your issue?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.15.10-200.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 15 17:14:41 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see
the messages posted to the mailing list.

Windows (TM) [Typhoid Mary].  They refuse to believe that there's anything
wrong with it, but everyone else knows Windows is a disease that spreads.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues trying to lock-down display resolution and overscan

Go Canes
On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 2:05 AM, Tim via users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
> Are you able to rename the input socket used on the TV?  On some sets,
> if you name it "PC," it will switch off overscan.

I've looked for options to change without much luck.  The TV has "PC"
assigned to a VGA port - I will see if there is a way to move the
name.

> Your "zooming" problem is probably related.

I did not have this zooming issue with the old NUC, so I think it is
unlikely to be related.  But never say never....

>> The third issue is that sometimes I lose the display more-or-less
>> completely.  I switch the receiver to the NUC, and I get a black
>> screen.  If I reboot (via a ssh session), I get nothing.  To get the
>> display back, I have to poweroff and cold boot.  The login screen is
>> fine, but after logging-in, KDE seems to be set for a lower
>> resolution (800x600?) than the TV is using (1080i), and I have go
>> into "System Settings" to correct it - which is difficult when you
>> can't really read the display very well!
>
> I've seen that kind of thing where Linux is setting resolutions
> automatically based on the monitor's capabilities.  But, at the time
> that X was figuring this information out, the monitor hadn't come out
> of standby mode, and wasn't responding to probes.
>
> Does that sound like the timing of events with your issue?

There is a delay when switching before the display comes up - 3-5
seconds maybe?  But that is every time I switch.  And in my case the
monitor isn't in standby - the delay is just the switch-over (I assume
the delay is caused by HDMI negotiations, X and/or video driver
figuring out the monitor that just got connected, etc.).

I was hoping to force the resolution in the X config and the KDE
config, so that at least it couldn't confuse itself anymore.  Maybe I
succeeded in doing so, but have been too focused on the "zoom" issue
to realize?
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues trying to lock-down display resolution and overscan

Go Canes
In reply to this post by Go Canes
I have had a chance to do some more testing and thinking on these issues....

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 12:47 PM, Go Canes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The third issue is that sometimes I lose the display more-or-less
> completely.  I switch the receiver to the NUC, and I get a black
> screen.  If I reboot (via a ssh session), I get nothing.  To get the
> display back, I have to poweroff and cold boot.  [...]
The more I think about this, the more I think that this has to be an
issue with the video hardware itself.  Otherwise, why would a
power-cycle clear it, while a reboot doesn't?  Unless the video driver
is wedging the hardware state?

> [...] The login screen is
> fine, but after logging-in, KDE seems to be set for a lower resolution
> (800x600?) than the TV is using (1080i), and I have go into "System
> Settings" to correct it - which is difficult when you can't really
> read the display very well!
Sometimes it is the simple things.  I found that if I power-cycle the
*TV/monitor*, the display is back to normal.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues trying to lock-down display resolution and overscan

Fedora mailing list
Allegedly, on or about 16 April 2018, Go Canes sent:
> why would a power-cycle clear it, while a reboot doesn't?

Badly implemented power saving routines in the hardware (graphics
chipset in your computer, or the monitor)?  Or bad detection of a link
between equipment.

It reminds me of the number of times I've had to pull out the plug and
put it back in again, to get USB devices to work, or even my HDMI
computer monitor.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.15.10-200.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 15 17:14:41 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see
the messages posted to the mailing list.

Lucky for you I typed this, you'd never be able to read my handwriting.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues trying to lock-down display resolution and overscan

Go Canes
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:36 PM, Tim via users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 16 April 2018, Go Canes sent:
>> why would a power-cycle clear it, while a reboot doesn't?

> It reminds me of the number of times I've had to pull out the plug and
> put it back in again, to get USB devices to work, or even my HDMI
> computer monitor.

I should have mentioned that I have tried unplugging the HDMI cable -
the only effect is that the A/V receiver recognizes the disconnect.
I.e., it goes from a black screen to the screen the receiver provides
when there is no connection.  So far the only thing I have found that
will "reset" the connection is to power-cycle the NUC.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]