Kakoune editor on openbsd

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Kakoune editor on openbsd

Patrick Marchand
So I'd like to try the kakoune editor on openbsd 6.3-current.

For now I've identified two files that stop me from compiling the project,
The first one is the makefile, which requires gmake and has a os
specific command for finding ncursesw and the second one is the file.cc
file in the get_kak_binary_path function, where there is also os specific
preprocessing.

My naive fix was to copy paste the dragonflybsd entries and rename them
to openbsd and while it does allow the project to compile, it
understandably aborts when run.

So trying again I looked closer at what the function was doing and how
it was implemented for freebsd and dragonflybsd. The function
tries to find the executable path of kak, but the freebsd way of doing
it doesnt work because it doesnt seem like KERN_PROC_PATHNAME is defined
in openbsd? So whats the preferred way of doing this on openbsd?

https://github.com/mawww/kakoune/blob/master/src/file.cc
https://github.com/mawww/kakoune/tree/master/src

Thanks,
Patrick Marchand

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kakoune editor on openbsd

Stuart Henderson
On 2018-04-16, Patrick Marchand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So trying again I looked closer at what the function was doing and how
> it was implemented for freebsd and dragonflybsd. The function
> tries to find the executable path of kak, but the freebsd way of doing
> it doesnt work because it doesnt seem like KERN_PROC_PATHNAME is defined
> in openbsd? So whats the preferred way of doing this on openbsd?

Hardcode it.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kakoune editor on openbsd

Patrick Marchand
In reply to this post by Patrick Marchand
> On 04/16, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > On 2018-04-16, Patrick Marchand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > So trying again I looked closer at what the function was doing and how
> > it was implemented for freebsd and dragonflybsd. The function
> > tries to find the executable path of kak, but the freebsd way of doing
> > it doesnt work because it doesnt seem like KERN_PROC_PATHNAME is defined
> > in openbsd? So whats the preferred way of doing this on openbsd?
>
> Hardcode it.
If anybody wants to play with it, heres my tentative pull request
https://github.com/mawww/kakoune/pull/2005
 
Kakoune has at least one stable release, so I might make this my first
try at creating an openbsd package.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kakoune editor on openbsd

Solène RAPENNE-2
Le 2018-04-17 02:43, Patrick Marchand a écrit :

>> On 04/16, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> > On 2018-04-16, Patrick Marchand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > So trying again I looked closer at what the function was doing and how
>> > it was implemented for freebsd and dragonflybsd. The function
>> > tries to find the executable path of kak, but the freebsd way of doing
>> > it doesnt work because it doesnt seem like KERN_PROC_PATHNAME is defined
>> > in openbsd? So whats the preferred way of doing this on openbsd?
>>
>> Hardcode it.
> If anybody wants to play with it, heres my tentative pull request
> https://github.com/mawww/kakoune/pull/2005
>
> Kakoune has at least one stable release, so I might make this my first
> try at creating an openbsd package.

hello,

In another port I used a patch and SUBST_VAR to replace
KERN_PROC_PATHNAME
by the correct path using ${PREFIX} variable. By hardcoding it with
/usr/local/bin it won't works for people having a different ${PREFIX}
which
could happen for some reason.

You can take a look at games/tome4 and the patch patch-src_getself_c