Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

12

Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

Philip Rhoades
People,

This command exits the chrome process tree gracefully, in all window
managers:

   pkill --oldest chrome

but it is not what I want to do - when Chrome goes mad and the whole
system starts grinding to a halt (I know from experience it is Chrome) I
want to try and work out what specific Chrome tab or window is the
problem.  Chrome has its own task manager:

   SHIFT ESC

but you can't kill a window with all its tabs from there.

Using:

   ps aux | grep "beta\/chrome"

seems to indicate individual tabs?

Using:

   xprop _NET_WM_PID

and clicking on the different windows always give the same id.

I wrote the script below using wmctrl and xkill to allow me to kill the
Chrome windows in reverse order of creation but killing the first Chrome
window kills all Chrome windows.  The xkill man page says the "program
is very dangerous" and:

   -id resource

This option specifies the X identifier for the resource whose creator is
to be aborted.

- so it looks like aborting "creator" gets rid of everything.

Any suggestions about fixing my script to selectively kill single Chrome
windows?

Thanks,

Phil.

#!/bin/bash

wins=`wmctrl -l | sort -r`
IFS=$'\n' # bash 4
readarray -t winsarr <<< "$wins"

for win in "${winsarr[@]}"
do
     IFS=' ' read id junk1 junk2 name <<< $win
     echo "$id  $name"
     echo -n "Kill?: "
     read junk
     if [ "$junk" == "Y" ]; then
         xkill -frame -id "$id"
     fi
done

--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

jd1008

On 03/26/2018 06:59 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> People,
>
> This command exits the chrome process tree gracefully, in all window
> managers:
>
>   pkill --oldest chrome
>
> but it is not what I want to do - when Chrome goes mad and the whole
> system starts grinding to a halt (I know from experience it is Chrome)
> I want to try and work out what specific Chrome tab or window is the
> problem.  Chrome has its own task manager:
>
>   SHIFT ESC
>
> but you can't kill a window with all its tabs from there.
>
> Using:
>
>   ps aux | grep "beta\/chrome"
>
> seems to indicate individual tabs?
>
> Using:
>
>   xprop _NET_WM_PID
>
> and clicking on the different windows always give the same id.
>
> I wrote the script below using wmctrl and xkill to allow me to kill
> the Chrome windows in reverse order of creation but killing the first
> Chrome window kills all Chrome windows.  The xkill man page says the
> "program is very dangerous" and:
>
>   -id resource
>
> This option specifies the X identifier for the resource whose creator
> is to be aborted.
>
> - so it looks like aborting "creator" gets rid of everything.
>
> Any suggestions about fixing my script to selectively kill single
> Chrome windows?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
>

> #!/bin/bash
>
> wins=`wmctrl -l | sort -r`
> IFS=$'\n' # bash 4
> readarray -t winsarr <<< "$wins"
>
> for win in "${winsarr[@]}"
> do
>     IFS=' ' read id junk1 junk2 name <<< $win
>     echo "$id  $name"
>     echo -n "Kill?: "
>     read junk
>     if [ "$junk" == "Y" ]; then
>         xkill -frame -id "$id"
>     fi
> done

You cannot kill specific windows of an app using general purpose CLI
commands.
You need a command that talks directly to chrome and, for example, ask
it for
the window id's of all of it's windows.
And the you might tell chrome to kill some specific set of window id's.
So, it all has to be under the direct control of chrome main process.
I am not sure that such an interface exists. If enought people scream
at google for such an interface, then google /might/ provide such a cli.

Re: Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

Samuel Sieb
On 03/26/2018 05:59 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> but it is not what I want to do - when Chrome goes mad and the whole
> system starts grinding to a halt (I know from experience it is Chrome) I
> want to try and work out what specific Chrome tab or window is the
> problem.  Chrome has its own task manager:

If you run top, which process is using the CPU?  Just kill that one,
then go through your chrome tabs and find out which tab has the sad face
on it.

Re: Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

Philip Rhoades
JD,

On 2018-03-27 12:10, JD wrote:

> On 03/26/2018 06:59 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> People,
>>
>> This command exits the chrome process tree gracefully, in all window
>> managers:
>>
>>   pkill --oldest chrome
>>
>> but it is not what I want to do - when Chrome goes mad and the whole
>> system starts grinding to a halt (I know from experience it is Chrome)
>> I want to try and work out what specific Chrome tab or window is the
>> problem.  Chrome has its own task manager:
>>
>>   SHIFT ESC
>>
>> but you can't kill a window with all its tabs from there.
>>
>> Using:
>>
>>   ps aux | grep "beta\/chrome"
>>
>> seems to indicate individual tabs?
>>
>> Using:
>>
>>   xprop _NET_WM_PID
>>
>> and clicking on the different windows always give the same id.
>>
>> I wrote the script below using wmctrl and xkill to allow me to kill
>> the Chrome windows in reverse order of creation but killing the first
>> Chrome window kills all Chrome windows.  The xkill man page says the
>> "program is very dangerous" and:
>>
>>   -id resource
>>
>> This option specifies the X identifier for the resource whose creator
>> is to be aborted.
>>
>> - so it looks like aborting "creator" gets rid of everything.
>>
>> Any suggestions about fixing my script to selectively kill single
>> Chrome windows?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil.
>>

>> #!/bin/bash
>>
>> wins=`wmctrl -l | sort -r`
>> IFS=$'\n' # bash 4
>> readarray -t winsarr <<< "$wins"
>>
>> for win in "${winsarr[@]}"
>> do
>>     IFS=' ' read id junk1 junk2 name <<< $win
>>     echo "$id  $name"
>>     echo -n "Kill?: "
>>     read junk
>>     if [ "$junk" == "Y" ]; then
>>         xkill -frame -id "$id"
>>     fi
>> done
>>

> You cannot kill specific windows of an app using general purpose CLI
> commands.
> You need a command that talks directly to chrome and, for example, ask
> it for
> the window id's of all of it's windows.
> And the you might tell chrome to kill some specific set of window id's.
> So, it all has to be under the direct control of chrome main process.
> I am not sure that such an interface exists.

Damn . .

> If enought people scream
> at google for such an interface, then google /might/ provide such a
> cli.

I won't be holding my breath - there are so many other common-sense app
things that Google has not done for years, I wouldn't even bother asking
for this . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

Philip Rhoades
Samuel,

On 2018-03-27 12:18, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 03/26/2018 05:59 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> but it is not what I want to do - when Chrome goes mad and the whole
>> system starts grinding to a halt (I know from experience it is Chrome)
>> I want to try and work out what specific Chrome tab or window is the
>> problem.  Chrome has its own task manager:
>
> If you run top, which process is using the CPU?  Just kill that one,
> then go through your chrome tabs and find out which tab has the sad
> face on it.

That usually doesn't work from my recollection, no individual tab seems
to be a problem - it is either Chrome as a whole or a whole window I
think . . obviously shutting down all of Chrome fixes the problem . .
but it is a pain to gradually re-open all the windows I previously had
open again . .

P.

On 03/26/2018 06:53 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> On 2018-03-27 12:18, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> On 03/26/2018 05:59 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>>> but it is not what I want to do - when Chrome goes mad and the whole
>>> system starts grinding to a halt (I know from experience it is
>>> Chrome) I want to try and work out what specific Chrome tab or window
>>> is the problem.  Chrome has its own task manager:
>>
>> If you run top, which process is using the CPU?  Just kill that one,
>> then go through your chrome tabs and find out which tab has the sad
>> face on it.
>
> That usually doesn't work from my recollection, no individual tab seems
> to be a problem - it is either Chrome as a whole or a whole window I
> think . . obviously shutting down all of Chrome fixes the problem . .
> but it is a pain to gradually re-open all the windows I previously had
> open again . .

As far as I can tell, there is one process per tab.  So if there isn't a
specific process that causing the problem, then it must be one of the
core processes and there's nothing you can do but restart the whole thing.

Re: Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

Todd Zullinger
Philip Rhoades wrote:
> On 2018-03-27 12:18, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> If you run top, which process is using the CPU?  Just kill that one,
>> then go through your chrome tabs and find out which tab has the sad
>> face on it.
>
> That usually doesn't work from my recollection, no individual tab seems to
> be a problem - it is either Chrome as a whole or a whole window I think . .
> obviously shutting down all of Chrome fixes the problem . . but it is a pain
> to gradually re-open all the windows I previously had open again . .

Times like that, 'chrome://restart' is handy.  I use it most
often to pick up updates without waiting for Chrome to see
that it's been updated, but it works well in general.

--
Todd

On 2018-03-27 15:22, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> On 03/26/2018 06:53 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>>>
>>> If you run top, which process is using the CPU?  Just kill that one,
>>> then go through your chrome tabs and find out which tab has the sad
>>> face on it.
>>
>> That usually doesn't work from my recollection, no individual tab
>> seems to be a problem - it is either Chrome as a whole or a whole
>> window I think . . obviously shutting down all of Chrome fixes the
>> problem . . but it is a pain to gradually re-open all the windows I
>> previously had open again . .
>
> As far as I can tell, there is one process per tab.  So if there isn't
> a specific process that causing the problem, then it must be one of
> the core processes and there's nothing you can do but restart the
> whole thing.

Yes, it looks that way so far . .

P.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

Philip Rhoades
Todd,

On 2018-03-27 15:41, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> On 2018-03-27 12:18, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>>> If you run top, which process is using the CPU?  Just kill that one,
>>> then go through your chrome tabs and find out which tab has the sad
>>> face on it.
>>
>> That usually doesn't work from my recollection, no individual tab
>> seems to
>> be a problem - it is either Chrome as a whole or a whole window I
>> think . .
>> obviously shutting down all of Chrome fixes the problem . . but it is
>> a pain
>> to gradually re-open all the windows I previously had open again . .
>
> Times like that, 'chrome://restart' is handy.  I use it most
> often to pick up updates without waiting for Chrome to see
> that it's been updated, but it works well in general.

I will have a look at that but I expect similarly to when Chrome crashes
with a dozen windows open and with a dozen tabs in each - responding by
clicking "Recover" to the "Chrome did not shut down properly" message
seems to be more likely to actually cause the problem I first posted
about . .  If I have been more disciplined and have had a dozen windows
open but only a few tabs per window . . it is not so bad . . thankfully
the "Tabs Outliner" extension helps greatly (although I had to change
the way I normally worked).

Thanks,

P.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Tue, 2018-03-27 at 12:19 +1100, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> > If enought people scream
> > at google for such an interface, then google /might/ provide such a
> > cli.
>

> I won't be holding my breath - there are so many other common-sense app
> things that Google has not done for years, I wouldn't even bother asking
> for this . .

This is the main reason I switched to Firefox a couple of months back,
when they released the Quantum version. I find it much better behaved
in general (though it can occasionally start soaking up CPU on some
script-obsessed pages like Facebook it does seem to be less of a memory
hog). YMMV of course.

poc

On 03/26/2018 07:53 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> Samuel,
>

> On 2018-03-27 12:18, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> On 03/26/2018 05:59 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>>> but it is not what I want to do - when Chrome goes mad and the whole
>>> system starts grinding to a halt (I know from experience it is
>>> Chrome) I want to try and work out what specific Chrome tab or
>>> window is the problem.  Chrome has its own task manager:
>>
>> If you run top, which process is using the CPU?  Just kill that one,
>> then go through your chrome tabs and find out which tab has the sad
>> face on it.
>

> That usually doesn't work from my recollection, no individual tab
> seems to be a problem - it is either Chrome as a whole or a whole
> window I think . . obviously shutting down all of Chrome fixes the
> problem . . but it is a pain to gradually re-open all the windows I
> previously had open again . .
>
> P.
Phil,
How about using the trial and error method.
Kill one window (press the X on the right hand upper corner :)  )
and then check the cpu load in a full screen cli window.
if the load is still high, at least u will have eliminated that window.
so try this with each window and check the cpu load.
The one that brings the load down (after killing it :) )
is the culprit.
While u r  at it, also check the mem usage of chrome. High mem usage
can cause a lot of paging and even swapping if u  r a small ram. But if
you have plethora of RAM, then u need not worry about it. U should have
at least 2 X RAM as SWAP space. Since I run a lot of apps, I have 4X RAM
as SWAP on HD.

Re: Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

Tom Horsley
Possibly relevant enhancement that might appear someday
is discussed in this bug report:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=766068

(I don't get the impression you should hold out hope
for "someday" to be soon though).

Re: Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

Rick Stevens-3
On 03/27/2018 04:27 PM, JD wrote:

<snip>
> if the load is still high, at least u will have eliminated that window.
> so try this with each window and check the cpu load.

<more snips>

> While u r  at it, also check the mem usage of chrome. High mem usage
> can cause a lot of paging and even swapping if u  r a small ram. But if
> you have plethora of RAM, then u need not worry about it. U should have
> at least 2 X RAM as SWAP space. Since I run a lot of apps, I have 4X RAM
> as SWAP on HD.

Is it possible that while "u r @ it", you could try typing out the words
instead of using inane social media jargon? This is a mailing list, not
a bloody Twitter feed. I can feel my IQ drop when I see such a posting.

(Sorry, but someone has to say it!)

Re: Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

Ed Greshko
On 03/28/18 09:03, Rick Stevens wrote:

> On 03/27/2018 04:27 PM, JD wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> if the load is still high, at least u will have eliminated that window.
>> so try this with each window and check the cpu load.
> <more snips>
>
>> While u r  at it, also check the mem usage of chrome. High mem usage
>> can cause a lot of paging and even swapping if u  r a small ram. But if
>> you have plethora of RAM, then u need not worry about it. U should have
>> at least 2 X RAM as SWAP space. Since I run a lot of apps, I have 4X RAM
>> as SWAP on HD.
> Is it possible that while "u r @ it", you could try typing out the words
> instead of using inane social media jargon? This is a mailing list, not
> a bloody Twitter feed. I can feel my IQ drop when I see such a posting.
>
> (Sorry, but someone has to say it!)
Thank you for that!

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

On 03/27/2018 07:03 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:

> On 03/27/2018 04:27 PM, JD wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> if the load is still high, at least u will have eliminated that window.
>> so try this with each window and check the cpu load.
> <more snips>
>
>> While u r  at it, also check the mem usage of chrome. High mem usage
>> can cause a lot of paging and even swapping if u  r a small ram. But if
>> you have plethora of RAM, then u need not worry about it. U should have
>> at least 2 X RAM as SWAP space. Since I run a lot of apps, I have 4X RAM
>> as SWAP on HD.
> Is it possible that while "u r @ it", you could try typing out the words
> instead of using inane social media jargon? This is a mailing list, not
> a bloody Twitter feed. I can feel my IQ drop when I see such a posting.
>
> (Sorry, but someone has to say it!)
I think you are way way too stressed out.
I am merely trying to reduce my typing as I am not such a good typist.

Re: Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

Joe Zeff
On 03/27/2018 06:18 PM, JD wrote:
> I think you are way way too stressed out.
> I am merely trying to reduce my typing as I am not such a good typist.

He wasn't the only one thinking it, though.  I was considering making
the same comment.

On 2018-03-28 10:27, JD wrote:

> On 03/26/2018 07:53 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> Samuel,

>>> If you run top, which process is using the CPU?  Just kill that one,
>>> then go through your chrome tabs and find out which tab has the sad
>>> face on it.
>>

>> That usually doesn't work from my recollection, no individual tab
>> seems to be a problem - it is either Chrome as a whole or a whole
>> window I think . . obviously shutting down all of Chrome fixes the
>> problem . . but it is a pain to gradually re-open all the windows I
>> previously had open again . .
>>
>> P.
> Phil,
> How about using the trial and error method.
> Kill one window (press the X on the right hand upper corner :)  )
> and then check the cpu load in a full screen cli window.
> if the load is still high, at least u will have eliminated that window.
> so try this with each window and check the cpu load.
> The one that brings the load down (after killing it :) )
> is the culprit.

The problem is that the GUI becomes VERY unresponsive so that is why I
preferred a CLI method - because terms seemed relatively unaffected and
I don't have to use mouse clicks - but also because it would be nice to
just iterate through a list killing IDs of something and immediately
know what was happening - it still might require killing every single
Chrome process of course . .

It is also odd that the graphical CPU and disk activity indicators do
not show much happening but that might be because of the afore-mentioned
GUI unresponsiveness - I can definitely HEAR more disk activity and top
SEEMS to show more CPU activity of Chrome processes.  The problem seems
to go rapidly exponential from minor interactive delays to the GUI being
almost unusable with longer and longer waits between the mouse being
responsive - so I don't have a convenient before and after problem view
of what was happening with top.  I might see if I can log the top output
to disk and find a method of reliably recreating the problem . .

> While u r  at it, also check the mem usage of chrome. High mem usage
> can cause a lot of paging and even swapping if u  r a small ram. But
> if you have plethora of RAM, then u need not worry about it. U should
> have at least 2 X RAM as SWAP space. Since I run a lot of apps, I have
> 4X RAM as SWAP on HD.

32GB RAM and 32GB of SWAP which doesn't get used.  I will keep working
on it but at the moment, it looks like ALL Chrome processes start using
more RAM and cause more disk activity . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Killing only selected Chrome windows from the CLI ?

Philip Rhoades
Tom,

On 2018-03-28 10:37, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Possibly relevant enhancement that might appear someday
> is discussed in this bug report:
>
> https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=766068
>
> (I don't get the impression you should hold out hope
> for "someday" to be soon though).

Interesting but it doesn't sound like my problem and you are probably
right - don't hold my breath again . .

Thanks,

Phil.

On Wed, 2018-03-28 at 09:13 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 03/28/18 09:03, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On 03/27/2018 04:27 PM, JD wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> > > if the load is still high, at least u will have eliminated that window.
> > > so try this with each window and check the cpu load.
> >
> > <more snips>
> >
> > > While u r  at it, also check the mem usage of chrome. High mem usage
> > > can cause a lot of paging and even swapping if u  r a small ram. But if
> > > you have plethora of RAM, then u need not worry about it. U should have
> > > at least 2 X RAM as SWAP space. Since I run a lot of apps, I have 4X RAM
> > > as SWAP on HD.
> >
> > Is it possible that while "u r @ it", you could try typing out the words
> > instead of using inane social media jargon? This is a mailing list, not
> > a bloody Twitter feed. I can feel my IQ drop when I see such a posting.
> >
> > (Sorry, but someone has to say it!)
>
> Thank you for that!

Hear hear.

poc

On Tue, 2018-03-27 at 18:30 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 03/27/2018 06:18 PM, JD wrote:
> > I think you are way way too stressed out.
> > I am merely trying to reduce my typing as I am not such a good typist.
>
> He wasn't the only one thinking it, though.  I was considering making
> the same comment.

You're not the only one. I also have to restrain myself whenever I see
certain posters using the non-existent pronoun 'i' or starting
sentences in lower-case, but experience shows that remarking on it is
usually a waste of time and energy.

poc
12