Kubuntu 16.04.4 Testing needed!

Aaron Honeycutt-2
Hello all!

The fouth point release of 16.04 is releasing on March 1st and we need as much general testing from VirtualBoxes to metal installs and tests as we can get before then. Please grab the latest image and test test test!

Re: Kubuntu 16.04.4 Testing needed!

Valorie Zimmerman
Thanks for this, Aaron.

Remember folks -- i386 test cases especially needed, especially on actual 386 hardware. The testcase at the bottom, "Non-English Live Session & Installation; Full Network Support" is especially important for i386, although it is marked as Optional.

Click on the little disk symbol to download, and use rsync or zsync to your old 16.04 ISO to save yourself some download time. http://linuxgrandma.blogspot.com/2018/01/seeding-new-isos-easy-zsync-way.html for more about how to do that.

Valorie

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 1:07 PM, Aaron Honeycutt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all!

The fouth point release of 16.04 is releasing on March 1st and we need as much general testing from VirtualBoxes to metal installs and tests as we can get before then. Please grab the latest image and test test test!

Re: Kubuntu 16.04.4 Testing needed!

Bruce Marshall
What is the end of life for this release?

From: Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Kubuntu 16.04.4 Testing needed!
Date: 2/26/18 1:14 AM
To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <[hidden email]>
CC: Kubuntu user technical support <[hidden email]>

[...]

Thanks for asking. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases says April 2021.

All the best,

Valorie

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 7:23 AM, Bmarsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is the end of life for this release?

Re: Kubuntu 16.04.4 Testing needed!

Volker Wysk
Am Montag, 26. Februar 2018, 15:26:40 CET schrieb Valorie Zimmerman:
> Thanks for asking. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases says April 2021.

That's the end of life of Ubuntu, not Kubuntu. For Ubuntu, the time period is five years, for Kubuntu only three years. This means that it's April 2019.

Bye
Volker

Re: Kubuntu 16.04.4 Testing needed!

Valorie Zimmerman
Checking the status of our Xenial point release testing I see that 3
of the 6 mandatory tests for Kubuntu Desktop amd64 have been done.

NONE of the 6 mandatory tests for Kubuntu Desktop i386 have been done.
It feels very bad that although the 386 users have been begging us not
to drop support, they - so far - are not willing to test. This is not
sustainable.

I can test on my little travel laptop, but that is not a 386 machine,
so it *cannot* be the test we need. Based on this I will probably not
back offering i386 images after this next LTS. 386 users: change my
mind, and get these tests done.

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/386/builds

This is a community created and sustained project. If the community
wants i386 support to continue: TEST.

Valorie

http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Kubuntu 16.04.4 Testing needed!

Valorie Zimmerman
In worse news, I could not get our i386 installer to run for me at
all. I had some success with amd64, and tested MATE's i386 installer
which was successful. In some ways it is simpler and more attractive
than ours.

After this next LTS we'll need to reconsider this.

Message remains -- i386 users with i386 machines -- please test NOW.

Valorie

http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Kubuntu 16.04.4 Testing needed!

Valorie Zimmerman
Hi Bruce, the proper way to handle such a situation is to use
`ubuntu-bug ubiquity` in a konsole or terminal before re-starting, or
copying the necessary logfiles if you do it after rebooting. Launchpad
will tell you what files you need. Any bugs should be reported and
then linked to your report on the qatracker before submitting.

Such a report is still a success, even if there is a bug. Please
mention what equipment your are using to test i386.

And thank you!

It is too late to report test results on the qatracker now, because
the dot release is done. However, it's not too late to file that bug
report from the machine you used to test.

Thanks again,

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez

On 03/01/2018 09:27 PM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
Hi Bruce, the proper way to handle such a situation is to use
`ubuntu-bug ubiquity` in a konsole or terminal before re-starting, or
copying the necessary logfiles if you do it after rebooting. Launchpad
will tell you what files you need. Any bugs should be reported and
then linked to your report on the qatracker before submitting.

Such a report is still a success, even if there is a bug. Please
mention what equipment your are using to test i386.

And thank you!

It is too late to report test results on the qatracker now, because
the dot release is done. However, it's not too late to file that bug
report from the machine you used to test.

Thanks again,

Valorie

Well, I so far have struck out.  If I tickle things enough, I can come up with the "Install Kubuntu" icon but clicking on it just makes things spin wheels forever.

Will keep trying.  I did get to the initial install screen once but it would never go to the first step of the install.

Running on a i386 Intel with 8GB ram.  Small fan-less box.  About 1.8ghz speed.

On 03/01/2018 09:48 PM, Bruce Marshall wrote:
[...]

I finally have given up on 16.04.4.   I did get it to start the install, but it keeps quiting with a disk error... which seems to point to a problem with the USB stick being used.  I used two different stocks and got the same error.

So I'm done....  I think there must be a problem with the install...   and I had many issues with the install freezing up.

I don't really need 16.04.4 since I've been on 17.10 since it was released (and before).   But I will be ready to test 18.04 when the first beta is released.

--
"I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx