Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

Rik Mills
As the recently released Kubuntu 21.04 with beautiful Plasma 5.21 makes
its way into the world, inevitably other things come to their end.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS was released in April 2018, and reached ‘End of Life’
for its 3 years of flavour support on 1st May 2021. All Kubuntu users
should therefore switch to a newer supported release.

Download a supported release[1] or upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 LTS[2].

The Kubuntu team would thank users of all releases, especially for the
amazing additional community support on IRC, forums, mailing lists, and
elsewhere.

Rik Mills
Kubuntu Council & Kubuntu Devel

[1] https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FocalUpgrades/Kubuntu

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

Bob-6

maybe I'm a day late but the last batch of updates failed to install.???


thanks for all the work,  had planned to go 20.04LTS in a short while but
was still using the Bionic

Bob


On Sun, 2 May 2021, Rik Mills wrote:

> As the recently released Kubuntu 21.04 with beautiful Plasma 5.21 makes
> its way into the world, inevitably other things come to their end.
>
> Kubuntu 18.04 LTS was released in April 2018, and reached ‘End of Life’
> for its 3 years of flavour support on 1st May 2021. All Kubuntu users
> should therefore switch to a newer supported release.
>
> Download a supported release[1] or upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 LTS[2].
>
> The Kubuntu team would thank users of all releases, especially for the
> amazing additional community support on IRC, forums, mailing lists, and
> elsewhere.
>
> Rik Mills
> Kubuntu Council & Kubuntu Devel
>
> [1] https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/
> [2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FocalUpgrades/Kubuntu
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>
>
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

Chris Luck-2
In reply to this post by Rik Mills
On 02/05/2021 17:45, Rik Mills wrote:

> Kubuntu 18.04 LTS was released in April 2018, and reached ‘End of Life’
> for its 3 years of flavour support on 1st May 2021. All Kubuntu users
> should therefore switch to a newer supported release.

I'm a little puzzled as to how I should interpret that statement.
When I first read it (a day or two after it was posted) I opened Muon to
see if there were any updates but the connection to the repository
seemed to be dead. However a few days later I got an update (I forget
the details).  Since then I must have had 6 or more updates including
LibreOffice 7.1.3.2, Firefox 88.0.1 and assorted others.

So, Rik, can you tell me what does 'End of Life' mean here?

Chris Luck
p.s. I'm not intending to upgrade any time soon.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

Bob-6

I upgraded to 20.04LTS about a week ago and have had a number of problems
with some programs.  most notably "Alpine" and "Vuescan"(Not Kubuntu
supported)  I figured waiting a year would allow all the bugs to get
worked out but??
and yes I am currently dual booting into my old 18.04 and getting update
notices,  but they won't load due to a "dpk"error ??? otherwise it runs
normally.

these guys work dern hard to get this working but always seems to be
issues.  I am not knocking all the hard work for us users.

thanks
Bob


On Thu, 27 May 2021, Chris Luck wrote:

> On 02/05/2021 17:45, Rik Mills wrote:
>
>> Kubuntu 18.04 LTS was released in April 2018, and reached ‘End of Life’
>> for its 3 years of flavour support on 1st May 2021. All Kubuntu users
>> should therefore switch to a newer supported release.
>
> I'm a little puzzled as to how I should interpret that statement.
> When I first read it (a day or two after it was posted) I opened Muon to see
> if there were any updates but the connection to the repository seemed to be
> dead. However a few days later I got an update (I forget the details).  Since
> then I must have had 6 or more updates including LibreOffice 7.1.3.2, Firefox
> 88.0.1 and assorted others.
>
> So, Rik, can you tell me what does 'End of Life' mean here?
>
> Chris Luck
> p.s. I'm not intending to upgrade any time soon.
>
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>
>
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

Chris Luck-2
On 27/05/2021 04:18, Bob wrote:

>
> I upgraded to 20.04LTS about a week ago and have had a number of problems
> with some programs.  most notably "Alpine" and "Vuescan"(Not Kubuntu
> supported)  I figured waiting a year would allow all the bugs to get
> worked out but??
> and yes I am currently dual booting into my old 18.04 and getting update
> notices,  but they won't load due to a "dpk"error ??? otherwise it runs
> normally.
>
> these guys work dern hard to get this working but always seems to be
> issues.  I am not knocking all the hard work for us users.
>
> thanks
> Bob


Well, after reading your message I found that another update was available -

============
Start-Date: 2021-05-27  09:55:48
Commandline: packagekit role='update-packages'
Requested-By: chris (1000)
Upgrade: liblz4-1:amd64 (0.0~r131-2ubuntu3, 0.0~r131-2ubuntu3.1),
liblz4-1:i386 (0.0~r131-2ubuntu3, 0.0~r131-2ubuntu3.1)
End-Date: 2021-05-27  09:55:52
============

I tried 20.04LTS more than 6 months after it was first made available,
hoping that inevitable glitches in the first offering may have been
resolved, but I did not have a happy experience and reverted to 18.04.
I'm constrained by resources and don't have much spare hardware to do
endless testing with distros.

I wouldn't care to be involved in distro maintenance - far too many
tweeks and ingenious new options to contend with.  I'll stay happy with
what I've got for the moment.

Chris


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

Clay Weber-2
In reply to this post by Chris Luck-2

On 05/26/2021 9:04 PM Chris Luck <[hidden email]> wrote:


On 02/05/2021 17:45, Rik Mills wrote:

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS was released in April 2018, and reached ‘End of Life’
for its 3 years of flavour support on 1st May 2021. All Kubuntu users
should therefore switch to a newer supported release.

I'm a little puzzled as to how I should interpret that statement.
When I first read it (a day or two after it was posted) I opened Muon to
see if there were any updates but the connection to the repository
seemed to be dead. However a few days later I got an update (I forget
the details). Since then I must have had 6 or more updates including
LibreOffice 7.1.3.2, Firefox 88.0.1 and assorted others.

So, Rik, can you tell me what does 'End of Life' mean here?

Chris Luck
p.s. I'm not intending to upgrade any time soon.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
The Kubuntu part, ie Plasma etc, will no longer see security updates, and is not supported by Kubuntu any longer.
However, the core OS bits still are supported by Ubunut, since Ubuntu LTS have 5 year shelf lives. As Ubuntu keeps FF up to date, this will stay current as well iirc
Any PPAs added will still be up to date as their individuals maintainers see fit (Libreoffice is still at version 6 in the official repos)

Clay Weber


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

Chris Luck-2
On 27/05/2021 14:23, Clay Weber wrote:
>
<snip>
 >
> The Kubuntu part, ie Plasma etc, will no longer see security updates,
> and is not supported by Kubuntu any longer.  However, the core OS
> bits still are supported by Ubunut, since Ubuntu LTS have 5 year shelf
> lives. As Ubuntu keeps FF up to date, this will stay current as well
> iirc > Any PPAs added will still be up to date as their individuals
> maintainers see fit (Libreoffice is still at version 6 in the
> official repos)


Thanks for that info Clay, it clarifies the issue.  As my system is
chugging along reasonably well I'm happy to leave it that way for a
couple more years (hardware permitting!).

I am not able to offer any insights into Bob's problem though.

Chris Luck



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

Leroy Tennison-3
In reply to this post by Clay Weber-2
Although I'm planning upgrading it's not high on my priority list right now, just to get some perspective, how frequent and severe from a security perspective are KDE bugs in general.  i realize the past isn't necessarily an indicator of the future but some general idea would be appreciated.  And my thanks to all who make Kubuntu possible.


-----Original Message-----
From: Clay Weber <[hidden email]>
To: Kubuntu user technical support <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thu, May 27, 2021 8:23 am
Subject: Re: Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support


On 05/26/2021 9:04 PM Chris Luck <[hidden email]> wrote:


On 02/05/2021 17:45, Rik Mills wrote:

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS was released in April 2018, and reached ‘End of Life’
for its 3 years of flavour support on 1st May 2021. All Kubuntu users
should therefore switch to a newer supported release.

I'm a little puzzled as to how I should interpret that statement.
When I first read it (a day or two after it was posted) I opened Muon to
see if there were any updates but the connection to the repository
seemed to be dead. However a few days later I got an update (I forget
the details). Since then I must have had 6 or more updates including
LibreOffice 7.1.3.2, Firefox 88.0.1 and assorted others.

So, Rik, can you tell me what does 'End of Life' mean here?

Chris Luck
p.s. I'm not intending to upgrade any time soon.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list

The Kubuntu part, ie Plasma etc, will no longer see security updates, and is not supported by Kubuntu any longer.
However, the core OS bits still are supported by Ubunut, since Ubuntu LTS have 5 year shelf lives. As Ubuntu keeps FF up to date, this will stay current as well iirc
Any PPAs added will still be up to date as their individuals maintainers see fit (Libreoffice is still at version 6 in the official repos)
Clay Weber
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

Anthony Stevens
In reply to this post by Chris Luck-2
I'm one of those folks that likes to check out new features and since I have both a laptop and a desktop system, I update my laptop every time there is a new release.

With that said, I found 18.04 to be stable while 20.04 experienced several minor issues. 20.10 was slightly better, and I really like 21.04.

IMNSHO 21.04 is the first really stable version of Kubuntu since 18.04.
As usual, all systems are a little bit different and your mileage may vary.


On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 11:09 AM Chris Luck <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27/05/2021 14:23, Clay Weber wrote:
>
<snip>
 >
> The Kubuntu part, ie Plasma etc, will no longer see security updates,
> and is not supported by Kubuntu any longer.  However, the core OS
> bits still are supported by Ubunut, since Ubuntu LTS have 5 year shelf
> lives. As Ubuntu keeps FF up to date, this will stay current as well
> iirc > Any PPAs added will still be up to date as their individuals
> maintainers see fit (Libreoffice is still at version 6 in the
> official repos)


Thanks for that info Clay, it clarifies the issue.  As my system is
chugging along reasonably well I'm happy to leave it that way for a
couple more years (hardware permitting!).

I am not able to offer any insights into Bob's problem though.

Chris Luck



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


--
Anthony Stevens
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." - Alvin Toffler
http://postorbitallibrary.com/

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

Bob-6

but 21.04 is not an LTS version.

my 18.04 version has 39 packages to update, but won't update them says a
dpk  error but I can't find it?

Bob

On Fri, 28 May 2021, Anthony Stevens wrote:

> I'm one of those folks that likes to check out new features and since I have both a
> laptop and a desktop system, I update my laptop every time there is a new release.
>
> With that said, I found 18.04 to be stable while 20.04 experienced several minor
> issues. 20.10 was slightly better, and I really like 21.04.
>
> IMNSHO 21.04 is the first really stable version of Kubuntu since 18.04.
> As usual, all systems are a little bit different and your mileage may vary.
>
>
> On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 11:09 AM Chris Luck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       On 27/05/2021 14:23, Clay Weber wrote:
>       >
>       <snip>
>        >
>       > The Kubuntu part, ie Plasma etc, will no longer see security updates,
>       > and is not supported by Kubuntu any longer.  However, the core OS
>       > bits still are supported by Ubunut, since Ubuntu LTS have 5 year shelf
>       > lives. As Ubuntu keeps FF up to date, this will stay current as well
>       > iirc > Any PPAs added will still be up to date as their individuals
>       > maintainers see fit (Libreoffice is still at version 6 in the
>       > official repos)
>
>
>       Thanks for that info Clay, it clarifies the issue.  As my system is
>       chugging along reasonably well I'm happy to leave it that way for a
>       couple more years (hardware permitting!).
>
>       I am not able to offer any insights into Bob's problem though.
>
>       Chris Luck
>
>
>
>       --
>       kubuntu-users mailing list
>       [hidden email]
>       Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>       https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>
>
>
> --
> Anthony Stevens
> "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but
> those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." - Alvin Toffler
> http://postorbitallibrary.com/
> https://ello.co/oldendaze
> https://ello.co/ellobridges
> https://ecfield.deviantart.com
>
>
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

Anthony Stevens
I'm aware of the non LTS version, Bob. I just like trying the new ones as they are released.
After all, someone has to be on the bleeding edge, right? [wink and a grin]

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 12:53 PM Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

but 21.04 is not an LTS version.

my 18.04 version has 39 packages to update, but won't update them says a
dpk  error but I can't find it?

Bob

On Fri, 28 May 2021, Anthony Stevens wrote:

> I'm one of those folks that likes to check out new features and since I have both a
> laptop and a desktop system, I update my laptop every time there is a new release.
>
> With that said, I found 18.04 to be stable while 20.04 experienced several minor
> issues. 20.10 was slightly better, and I really like 21.04.
>
> IMNSHO 21.04 is the first really stable version of Kubuntu since 18.04.
> As usual, all systems are a little bit different and your mileage may vary.
>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver reaches end of Kubuntu support

Chris Luck-2
In reply to this post by Bob-6
On 28/05/2021 17:51, Bob wrote:
>
> but 21.04 is not an LTS version.
>
> my 18.04 version has 39 packages to update, but won't update them says a
> dpk  error but I can't find it?
>
> Bob

<snip>

Googling "update won't load due to a dpkg error" gets numerous hits,
here's a couple of pages to peruse for possible causes/cures to get you
started:

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-update-error/

<https://askubuntu.com/questions/1231849/how-to-fix-update-problems-ubuntu-20-04>

Chris Luck


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users