Kubuntu boot time: 16.04 -18.04

Peter McD
Hi,

I have on an SSD three OS with KDE and the boot time differs between
them. All are updated.

Each from the boot selection menu to the login mask

Kubuntu 18.04       50s
Kubuntu 16.04.4     21s
opensuse Tumbleweed 16s

Significant is the boot difference between the two Kubuntus.

I would like to check the different log files, which should I look for?

Peter

Re: Kubuntu boot time: 16.04 -18.04

Ralf Mardorf-5
On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 11:11:57 +0200, Peter McD wrote:

>I have on an SSD three OS with KDE and the boot time differs between
>them. All are updated.
>
>Each from the boot selection menu to the login mask
>
>Kubuntu 18.04       50s
>Kubuntu 16.04.4     21s
>opensuse Tumbleweed 16s
>
>Significant is the boot difference between the two Kubuntus.
>
>I would like to check the different log files, which should I look for?

Hi,

a startup could slow down, if a partition is checked, so the first
way to go, would be to disable a splash screen and taking a look at
the startup messages during startup.

That all Linux installs are using the same init system and the same
desktop environment is completely unrelated to the amount of services
that get started or individual system configurations.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 1.758s (kernel) + 18.758s (userspace) = 20.516s
graphical.target reached after 18.601s in userspace
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ systemd-analyze critical-chain
The time after the unit is active or started is printed after the "@" character.
The time the unit takes to start is printed after the "+" character.

graphical.target @18.601s
└─multi-user.target @18.601s
  └─alice-dhcp.service @2.450s +16.150s
    └─basic.target @2.439s
      └─sockets.target @2.438s
        └─dbus.socket @2.438s
          └─sysinit.target @2.435s
            └─systemd-update-done.service @2.425s +9ms
              └─ldconfig.service @2.002s +421ms
                └─local-fs.target @1.999s
                  └─run-user-1000.mount @10.967s
                    └─swap.target @1.917s
                      └─dev-sda10.swap @1.656s +18ms
                        └─dev-sda10.device @1.573s
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ systemctl list-units --type service | grep loaded\ units
39 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ systemctl list-units --type service --all | grep loaded\ units
70 loaded units listed.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Improving_performance/Boot_process#Analyzing_the_boot_process
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/systemd-bootchart

Regards,
Ralf

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 12:38:40 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>Kubuntu 18.04       50s
>>Kubuntu 16.04.4     21s

I don't know if this could have this kind of impact, but could it
be that Wayland vs X?

Re: Kubuntu boot time: 16.04 -18.04

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 16.07.2018, 11:11 +0200 schrieb Peter McD:
> Hi,
>
> I have on an SSD three OS with KDE and the boot time differs between
> them. All are updated.
>
> Each from the boot selection menu to the login mask
>
> Kubuntu 18.04       50s

this is most likely related to

which causes /dev/urandom to go into blocking state until enough
entropy is seeded. any service or app that needs the random number
generator gets slowed down during boot due to this. a fix is in the
-proposed archive already and should land soon with the next kernel
update ...

(you should be able to speed up the boot by wiggling the mouse or
hitting the shift key a few times, that will increase the entropy much
quicker)

ciao
        oli

On Mon, 2018-07-16 at 12:38 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> graphical.target @18.601s
> └─multi-user.target @18.601s
>   └─alice-dhcp.service @2.450s +16.150s

This output seems to be a little bit tricky. I suspect that I could log
in a graphical user session after around 3 seconds. I didn't use a
stopwatch, but I doubt that it is correct, that I need to wait more than
18 seconds. The +16.150s for the dhcp script might be correct, but it
for sure is possible to start the graphical session before 18.601s, it
doesn't wait for the script.

Am 16.07.2018 um 13:00 schrieb Oliver Grawert:

> hi,
> Am Montag, den 16.07.2018, 11:11 +0200 schrieb Peter McD:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have on an SSD three OS with KDE and the boot time differs between
>> them. All are updated.
>>
>> Each from the boot selection menu to the login mask
>>
>> Kubuntu 18.04       50s
>
> this is most likely related to
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1779827

It seems to be the case.
There was no issue when I installed 18.04. I think it started with
kernelversion 4.15.0-24.

Hopefully it will disappear with 18.04.1 in about 10 days.

cu

Am 16.07.2018 um 13:04 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:

> On Mon, 2018-07-16 at 12:38 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> graphical.target @18.601s
>> └─multi-user.target @18.601s
>>    └─alice-dhcp.service @2.450s +16.150s
>
> This output seems to be a little bit tricky. I suspect that I could log
> in a graphical user session after around 3 seconds. I didn't use a
> stopwatch, but I doubt that it is correct, that I need to wait more than
> 18 seconds. The +16.150s for the dhcp script might be correct, but it
> for sure is possible to start the graphical session before 18.601s, it
> doesn't wait for the script.

Thanks for the advice. Oliver pointed to a possible bug, the issue will
(hopefully) be resolved with the next kernel update.

cu
Peter

Solved Re: Kubuntu boot time: 16.04 -18.04

,
> Am Montag, den 16.07.2018, 11:11 +0200 schrieb Peter McD:

>> I have on an SSD three OS with KDE and the boot time differs between
>> them. All are updated.
>> Kubuntu 18.04       50s
> ... A fix is in the
> -proposed archive already and should land soon with the next kernel
> update ...

Today's updates fixed the bug, at leas on my computer.

Peter