Left handed cursor

Jay Ridgley
Good evening,

I use my mouse with my left hand, is there a pointer shows in the
appropriate orientation? I am not able to find one...
--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

Re: Left handed cursor

Ubuntu mailing list
09 January 2019  at 17:44, Jay Ridgley wrote:
Left handed cursor (at least in part)

>Good evening,
>
>I use my mouse with my left hand, is there a pointer shows in the
>appropriate orientation? I am not able to find one...

Just a thought, could you edit the icon file(s) to "flip" it over?

Re: Left handed cursor

Owen Thomas
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 18:36, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
09 January 2019  at 17:44, Jay Ridgley wrote:
Left handed cursor (at least in part)

>Good evening,
>
>I use my mouse with my left hand, is there a pointer shows in the
>appropriate orientation? I am not able to find one...

Just a thought, could you edit the icon file(s) to "flip" it over?

I use a mouse with my left hand too... I know it is to some, but to me, using my middle finger instead of my index finger has never been an issue. Thankfully, I have the standard five fingers on my left hand and I haven''t so far found any one of them as being of any particular preference.

This thread gives me an opportunity to ask the following questions that have been on my mind for a while: What advantage does a lefty somehow miss when using a "right handed" mouse and pointer? Is this often debated?

Maybe people will make me the subject of derision for my email being OT... my initials...

  Owen.

Re: Left handed cursor

Liam Proven
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 10:51, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use a mouse with my left hand too... I know it is to some, but to me, using my middle finger instead of my index finger has never been an issue. Thankfully, I have the standard five fingers on my left hand and I haven''t so far found any one of them as being of any particular preference.
>
> This thread gives me an opportunity to ask the following questions that have been on my mind for a while: What advantage does a lefty somehow miss when using a "right handed" mouse and pointer? Is this often debated?

As a lefty, I used to have my mice on the left, but I use the normal
fingers -- I never saw any need to reverse the buttons. It's just
confusing to me. Due to some slight RSI and more recently shoulder
problems with my left hand, a decade and a half ago, I switched to
right-handed mousing, to get my underused right arm to do a bit more
work and spare my overused left a little.

In either hand, I use index finger for primary click and middle finger
for right-click. Fingers have quite a lot of lateral movement and it's
easier and less cognitive effort than switching buttons, for me.
Perhaps I am unusual in this.

I'm not ambidextrous at all -- I'm very sinister -- but I've taught
myself to do some things right-handed both for exercise and for
improved dexterity. I brush my teeth with my right hand, and I mouse
with it. Neither was particularly difficult to learn.

Re: Left handed cursor

Chris Green
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 12:24:49PM +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 10:51, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I use a mouse with my left hand too... I know it is to some, but to me,
> using my middle finger instead of my index finger has never been an issue.
> Thankfully, I have the standard five fingers on my left hand and I haven''t
> so far found any one of them as being of any particular preference.
> >
> > This thread gives me an opportunity to ask the following questions that
> have been on my mind for a while: What advantage does a lefty somehow miss
> when using a "right handed" mouse and pointer? Is this often debated?
>
> As a lefty, I used to have my mice on the left, but I use the normal
> fingers -- I never saw any need to reverse the buttons. It's just
> confusing to me. Due to some slight RSI and more recently shoulder
> problems with my left hand, a decade and a half ago, I switched to
> right-handed mousing, to get my underused right arm to do a bit more
> work and spare my overused left a little.

I'm right handed and did the opposite some years ago! :-)  I use my
right handed track ball with my left hand.

--
Chris Green

Re: Left handed cursor

Owen Thomas
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 22:27, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not ambidextrous at all -- I'm very sinister -- but I've taught
myself to do some things right-handed both for exercise and for
improved dexterity. I brush my teeth with my right hand, and I mouse
with it. Neither was particularly difficult to learn.

Hmmm... I tried brushing my teeth with my right hand, but couldn't manage the rhythm and sometimes found myself holding the brush steady while shaking my head to compensate... very strange, so I gave up. I think an accident I had when I was 12 (cf. the MRI featured in my thumbnail) which resulted in some loss of motor control on the right side of my body contributes to this effect.

My school usually only had right-handed scissors. I now use a pair of scissors mainly with my right hand. I broke my left arm when I was seven so it was out of action for about six weeks. Hence my right hand has the manuscript of a seven-year-old although it appears to have deteriorated somewhat after more than 35 years of neglect.

Let me know when this is off-topic. To pay respect to the topic, my Dell laptop running Ubuntu 16.04 has a mouse pad, and I use the index finger of my left hand to do most of my mousing, except when I choose to use the mouse pad's buttons, and there, I'll use my middle finger while my index finger controls the pointer's location.

I am (continually... but only rarely is it of dire consequence... I guess I have become accustomed to the inconvenience) reminded that I have received no relief yet from Ubuntu regarding the disablement of my mouse pad while typing. I am hoping an update might enliven this feature and surprise me. The feature is supported by the hardware, but alas. Perhaps Ubuntu may one day answer my prayers when I upgrade.

  Owen.

Re: Left handed cursor

Liam Proven
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 13:43, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm right handed and did the opposite some years ago! :-)  I use my
> right handed track ball with my left hand.

Oh, cool! I am glad to know I'm not alone. I have never met anyone
else who did this!

Re: Left handed cursor

Liam Proven
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 14:06, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmm... I tried brushing my teeth with my right hand, but couldn't manage the rhythm and sometimes found myself holding the brush steady while shaking my head to compensate... very strange, so I gave up.

Try again. Stick with it. It took me a few weeks. At first I did what
you describe.

> I think an accident I had when I was 12 (cf. the MRI featured in my thumbnail) which resulted in some loss of motor control on the right side of my body contributes to this effect.

My right arm has been broken 5 times now, contains several bits metal
(and used to contain more) and has restricted movement, so I wanted
something to make it work a bit harder.

> My school usually only had right-handed scissors. I now use a pair of scissors mainly with my right hand. I broke my left arm when I was seven so it was out of action for about six weeks. Hence my right hand has the manuscript of a seven-year-old although it appears to have deteriorated somewhat after more than 35 years of neglect.

I've put a bit of effort into improving my right-handed writing, but
the injuries make it a bit harder *and* more uncomfortable, so not
much.

It can be improved, I can only tell you that.

> I am (continually... but only rarely is it of dire consequence... I guess I have become accustomed to the inconvenience) reminded that I have received no relief yet from Ubuntu regarding the disablement of my mouse pad while typing. I am hoping an update might enliven this feature and surprise me.

Yeah, I'd like that, too.

Re: Left handed cursor

Chris Green
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 02:16:33PM +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 13:43, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm right handed and did the opposite some years ago! :-)  I use my
> > right handed track ball with my left hand.
>
> Oh, cool! I am glad to know I'm not alone. I have never met anyone
> else who did this!

It was for the same reason too, I was getting some RSI in my right
wrist.

--
Chris Green

Re: Left handed cursor

Owen Thomas

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 00:20, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am (continually... but only rarely is it of dire consequence... I guess I have become accustomed to the inconvenience) reminded that I have received no relief yet from Ubuntu regarding the disablement of my mouse pad while typing. I am hoping an update might enliven this feature and surprise me.

Yeah, I'd like that, too.

Let us pray.

I like the fact that Gmail have introduced an "undo" feature that lasts for several seconds after an email is sent. It looks promising although I haven't had the opportunity of being the beneficiary of its use just yet.

Re: Left handed cursor

Tony Arnold
On Thu, 2019-01-10 at 14:19 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

I am (continually... but only rarely is it of dire consequence... I guess I have become accustomed to the inconvenience) reminded that I have received no relief yet from Ubuntu regarding the disablement of my mouse pad while typing. I am hoping an update might enliven this feature and surprise me.

Yeah, I'd like that, too.

This can be turned on and off using the gnome-tweaks tool. (I use the vanilla gnome shell desktop, but Ubuntu may have hampered this for no good reason!)

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | Desk 51, Office 2, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Left handed cursor

Jim Byrnes
On 1/10/19 7:16 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 13:43, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm right handed and did the opposite some years ago! :-)  I use my
>> right handed track ball with my left hand.
>
> Oh, cool! I am glad to know I'm not alone. I have never met anyone
> else who did this!

I did it also. The reason I switched was to be able to use my right hand
on the number pad without having to move it from the trackball.

Regards,  Jim