Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Kevin O'Gorman
I know there are probably multiple places where such ratings can be found.  Not knowing which are reliable, I'm sort of asking for ratings of the ratings, I guess.  Mostly, though, I want ratings of recent models, from a Linux/Debian/Ubuntu perspective as opposed to the usual Windows slant.  I'm presuming the few machines that I dual-boot will be able to work with whatever printer I have.

So, where to look?

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Wade Smart
Dont know about a ratings site but Ive used Brother  printers for years without
(almost) any problems.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 3:50 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know there are probably multiple places where such ratings can be found.  Not knowing which are reliable, I'm sort of asking for ratings of the ratings, I guess.  Mostly, though, I want ratings of recent models, from a Linux/Debian/Ubuntu perspective as opposed to the usual Windows slant.  I'm presuming the few machines that I dual-boot will be able to work with whatever printer I have.

So, where to look?

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Bret Busby-2
On 08/07/2018, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know there are probably multiple places where such ratings can be found.
> Not knowing which are reliable, I'm sort of asking for ratings of the
> ratings, I guess.  Mostly, though, I want ratings of recent models, from a
> Linux/Debian/Ubuntu perspective as opposed to the usual Windows slant.  I'm
> presuming the few machines that I dual-boot will be able to work with
> whatever printer I have.
>
> So, where to look?
>
> ++ kevin
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman
> #define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

I  haven't looked aat it for a few years, but a site used to exist,
and it got somewhat out of date, so I found other resources, for
making the decision.

I had been using Samasung all-in one printers, for some years, with
Debian, and then, with Ubuntu, when and since I switched from Debian
to Ubuntu.

Lst year, or, the year before, apparently, HP bought out Samsung
Printing, so, Samsung printers are no longer available.

I would tend to go for an HP printer, now. The information about them
(and, check the specifications for any printer, before you buy it, to
confirm compatibility), shows them (or, the ones I recently
investigated, when we needed to replace one of our Samsung MFP's) to
be compatible with Linux (and, via WiFi, with Android and iOS
cellphones and tablets).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

David Fletcher
On Sat, 2018-07-07 at 15:59 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
> Dont know about a ratings site but Ive used Brother  printers for
> years without
> (almost) any problems.

Seconded.

A while back I bought a Brother HL-3040CN with no regrets. It's
connected to my network and only used with Linux computers.

Obviously I cannot comment on current models which I assume mine is
not.

Dave

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Peter Flynn
On 07/07/18 21:50, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I know there are probably multiple places where such ratings can be
> found.  Not knowing which are reliable, I'm sort of asking for ratings
> of the ratings, I guess.  Mostly, though, I want ratings of recent
> models, from a Linux/Debian/Ubuntu perspective as opposed to the usual
> Windows slant.

I'm sure there are lots of places, but from the little I have seen, they
tend to be "10 best printers" type sites. Well-intentioned but rarely
with anything in them you can't get from the specs.

From a Linux point of view: I have been using HP since forever, and I'
generally happy with them, ever since I dropped my first LaserJet II
from a desk onto a concrete floor unpacking it, picked it up, knocked
the dent out of the paper tray, and it worked perfectly for a decade.

But there are a few bobbles to every printer:

1. CUPS for Linux in the distros naturally tends to lag behind with
drivers, so I always download HPLIP and install that. One of the reasons
for picking HP is that there is active Linux community support. But most
of the time, Linux identifies the printer and installs it without problems.

2. CUPS drivers are Postscript PPD files that are cross-platform, so if
you find yours is out of date, you should in theory be able to copy the
relevant one from an up-to-date system (eg a Mac or even a Windows box
if you can find out where they are hidden :-) and use it to update the
entry in CUPS (http://localhost:631 or /usr/bin/system-config-printer)

3. CUPS and the PPD files have bugs. You may find that certain features
of your printer simply aren't available on Linux because either the
print dialog doesn't have facilities to handle them, or it does but the
PPD file doesn't implement them. This is a PITA. Notoriously, A3/Tabloid
size (twice the size of A4 or Letter) fails spectacularly on big
printers and crops the print image to A4/Letter even though it's feeding
the large size paper: I ended up hand-editing the PPD files to fix it.

4. By far the worst aspect are the applications' print dialogs, which
are uniformly abysmal. They are RIDDLED with bugs, and they are pretty
much all different, so sometimes you have to use a different application
to print a PDF because the one you usually use doesn't provide for the
feature you want. Chromium (mine is "Version 66.0.3359.181 (Official
Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on LinuxMint 18.3 (64-bit)"), for
example, has no A4 paper setting! It *does* have one called "Index card
A4 8.27 × 11.69in" which is a stupendous piece of American bogosity, and
I have no idea where it comes from, because none of my other
applications have it: they all have regular A4. Evince cannot use my
printer's double-sided capability, despite it being installed and
activated, and available in every other application. Qpdfview can't
change the quality setting because there is no such option in its dialog
(used to be but it's not there now). Libre Office's dialog looks like
something from the 1990s. GIMP's is pretty much the right thing, though.

I'm using a HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 printer/scanner right now. Very nice,
but they lied about the large paper: it can print both sides on
A4/Letter but not on A3/Tabloid, which sucks. But it can apparently also
work as a fax machine (what's a fax, Mom?).

Ratings otherwise are not likely to be different between Win/Mac/Lin, as
once it's installed and running, it should behave identically no matter
what computer is sending it jobs.

That's the theory, at least :-)

///Peter

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Doug McGarrett

On 07/07/2018 06:55 PM, Peter Flynn wrote:

> [...]
> applications have it: they all have regular A4. Evince cannot use my
> printer's double-sided capability, despite it being installed and
> activated, and available in every other application. Qpdfview can't
> change the quality setting because there is no such option in its dialog
> (used to be but it's not there now). Libre Office's dialog looks like
> something from the 1990s. GIMP's is pretty much the right thing, though.
>
> I'm using a HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 printer/scanner right now. Very nice,
> but they lied about the large paper: it can print both sides on
> A4/Letter but not on A3/Tabloid, which sucks. But it can apparently also
> work as a fax machine (what's a fax, Mom?).
>
> Ratings otherwise are not likely to be different between Win/Mac/Lin, as
> once it's installed and running, it should behave identically no matter

You have to be careful of the model(s) you check on. I am very happy
with an Epson
WP-4530, which I bought a few years ago. Then I wanted a printer that
would print
B-size (17X 22 inches) so I bought an Epson WF-7110. What a disaster.
The color
cartridges are very small, and don't last at all, I could never get the
thing to calibrate
completely, and the calibration process is excruciating, since it
doesn't have the controls
that the smaller printer has. And so I gave up at one point. Then I
decided to look at
it again--I had installed the PPD file already. When I tried to access
it again, it came up
error. Anyone who wants it in the Long Island area can have it for
nothing. It's
effectively brand new. (The WP-4530 is a 4 mode color printer, print,
scan, copy and FAX.
it is probably not available any more, but if it is, it's excellent.)

I also have an HP B/W LaserJet that works well, printer only.

For what it's worth, I run PCLOS, sometimes MINT, and only when
absolutely necessary,
Window 10.

--doug

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Gene Heskett-2
On Saturday 07 July 2018 18:55:41 Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 07/07/18 21:50, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > I know there are probably multiple places where such ratings can be
> > found.  Not knowing which are reliable, I'm sort of asking for
> > ratings of the ratings, I guess.  Mostly, though, I want ratings of
> > recent models, from a Linux/Debian/Ubuntu perspective as opposed to
> > the usual Windows slant.
>
> I'm sure there are lots of places, but from the little I have seen,
> they tend to be "10 best printers" type sites. Well-intentioned but
> rarely with anything in them you can't get from the specs.
>
> From a Linux point of view: I have been using HP since forever, and I'
> generally happy with them, ever since I dropped my first LaserJet II
> from a desk onto a concrete floor unpacking it, picked it up, knocked
> the dent out of the paper tray, and it worked perfectly for a decade.
>
> But there are a few bobbles to every printer:
>
> 1. CUPS for Linux in the distros naturally tends to lag behind with
> drivers, so I always download HPLIP and install that. One of the
> reasons for picking HP is that there is active Linux community
> support. But most of the time, Linux identifies the printer and
> installs it without problems.
>
> 2. CUPS drivers are Postscript PPD files that are cross-platform, so
> if you find yours is out of date, you should in theory be able to copy
> the relevant one from an up-to-date system (eg a Mac or even a Windows
> box if you can find out where they are hidden :-) and use it to update
> the entry in CUPS (http://localhost:631 or
> /usr/bin/system-config-printer)
>
> 3. CUPS and the PPD files have bugs. You may find that certain
> features of your printer simply aren't available on Linux because
> either the print dialog doesn't have facilities to handle them, or it
> does but the PPD file doesn't implement them. This is a PITA.
> Notoriously, A3/Tabloid size (twice the size of A4 or Letter) fails
> spectacularly on big printers and crops the print image to A4/Letter
> even though it's feeding the large size paper: I ended up hand-editing
> the PPD files to fix it.

I have an MFC-J6920DW, which can be hand fed tabloid and have used it
that way many times, in my case with rockhopper output, which can spit
out a logic diagram of a CNC machine which makes it relatively easy to
troubleshoot a machines configuration. Other than hand feeding that
tabloid sized paper from the rear, it has Just Worked everytime I have
used it that way.

> 4. By far the worst aspect are the applications' print dialogs, which
> are uniformly abysmal. They are RIDDLED with bugs, and they are pretty
> much all different, so sometimes you have to use a different
> application to print a PDF because the one you usually use doesn't
> provide for the feature you want. Chromium (mine is "Version
> 66.0.3359.181 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on LinuxMint
> 18.3 (64-bit)"), for example, has no A4 paper setting! It *does* have
> one called "Index card A4 8.27 × 11.69in" which is a stupendous piece
> of American bogosity, and I have no idea where it comes from, because
> none of my other
> applications have it: they all have regular A4. Evince cannot use my
> printer's double-sided capability, despite it being installed and
> activated, and available in every other application. Qpdfview can't
> change the quality setting because there is no such option in its
> dialog (used to be but it's not there now). Libre Office's dialog
> looks like something from the 1990s. GIMP's is pretty much the right
> thing, though.

I cannot argue with that, we really need a print dialog that handles
everything. Evince FWIW, prints double sided just fine here. But okular
does it better IMO.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

ubuntu-lists

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I know there are probably multiple places where such ratings can be
> found.  Not knowing which are reliable, I'm sort of asking for ratings
> of the ratings, I guess.

While not a direct response to the question you asked (about ratings
sites for printers), I echo an earlier anecdotal mention of Brother
printers.  I bought a Brother monochrome laser printer (they have color
laser printers as well) and have used in on various versions of Ubuntu
variants without difficulty for several years.  I would never even
consider buying another brand (even though I've used various Canon,
Epson, and HP printers over the years).

One huge plus in my experience has been the fact that Brother has Linux
drivers for their printers.

May you fare well in your search.

Allan

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Chris Green
On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 05:48:34AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 08/07/2018, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know there are probably multiple places where such ratings can be found.
> Not knowing which are reliable, I'm sort of asking for ratings of the
> ratings, I guess.  Mostly, though, I want ratings of recent models, from a
> Linux/Debian/Ubuntu perspective as opposed to the usual Windows slant.  I'm
> presuming the few machines that I dual-boot will be able to work with
> whatever printer I have.

I have an OKI MC342N, it has Linux software for all its facilities so
you can scan from computer, send FAXes, etc. etc.  The software/drivers
are a few years old but work well, and the GUIs are written in Python
so you can D-I-Y a bit as well.

It's a pretty large beast though.

--
Chris Green

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Kevin O'Gorman
Thanks, all.  Interesting reading.

My HP having lost its ability to feed paper without mangling it, I was in a hurry so after reading the first few responses, I went to my local OfficeMax store and came back with a Brother MFC-L2750-DW.  Monochrome, all-in-one (including Fax) with landline phone, Android phone, ethernet, USB and wireless.  I use ethernet. Also reads thumb drives.  Copies duplex hands-off. At under $300 I'm happy.

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 2:57 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 05:48:34AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 08/07/2018, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know there are probably multiple places where such ratings can be found.
> Not knowing which are reliable, I'm sort of asking for ratings of the
> ratings, I guess.  Mostly, though, I want ratings of recent models, from a
> Linux/Debian/Ubuntu perspective as opposed to the usual Windows slant.  I'm
> presuming the few machines that I dual-boot will be able to work with
> whatever printer I have.

I have an OKI MC342N, it has Linux software for all its facilities so
you can scan from computer, send FAXes, etc. etc.  The software/drivers
are a few years old but work well, and the GUIs are written in Python
so you can D-I-Y a bit as well.

It's a pretty large beast though.

--
Chris Green

Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Mark Frank

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 6:11 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, all.  Interesting reading.

Brother MFC-L2750-DW.  Monochrome, all-in-one (including Fax) with landline phone, Android phone, ethernet, USB and wireless.

  Android phone?

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Wade Smart
Sure. All brothers come with a android phone. ;)
--

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 6:22 PM, Mark Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 6:11 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, all.  Interesting reading.
>>
>> Brother MFC-L2750-DW.  Monochrome, all-in-one (including Fax) with
>> landline phone, Android phone, ethernet, USB and wireless.
>

>   Android phone?

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Kevin O'Gorman
Capability to operate from a phone.  IOS too, it turns out.  But of course each OS needs drivers....

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 4:29 PM, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sure. All brothers come with a android phone. ;)
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 6:22 PM, Mark Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 6:11 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, all.  Interesting reading.
>>
>> Brother MFC-L2750-DW.  Monochrome, all-in-one (including Fax) with
>> landline phone, Android phone, ethernet, USB and wireless.
>

>   Android phone?

Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Eero Volotinen
Hi Kevin,

I bought this one:
HP COLOR LASERJET PRO MFP M277DW

Works fine from mac, linux, windows ja ios devices (with airprint)

Scanner also works from ubuntu too.

Eero

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 7:51 AM Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Capability to operate from a phone.  IOS too, it turns out.  But of course each OS needs drivers....

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 4:29 PM, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sure. All brothers come with a android phone. ;)
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 6:22 PM, Mark Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 6:11 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, all.  Interesting reading.
>>
>> Brother MFC-L2750-DW.  Monochrome, all-in-one (including Fax) with
>> landline phone, Android phone, ethernet, USB and wireless.
>

>   Android phone?

Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

noname (602 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

Daniel Howard
On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 1:50 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know there are probably multiple places where such ratings can be found.  Not knowing which are reliable, I'm sort of asking for ratings of the ratings, I guess.  Mostly, though, I want ratings of recent models, from a Linux/Debian/Ubuntu perspective as opposed to the usual Windows slant.  I'm presuming the few machines that I dual-boot will be able to work with whatever printer I have.

So, where to look?

​Hello,

For what it is worth, Ubuntu does really great with USB Printing. For years my experience has been "plug and play" whereas Mac/Windows has had to sit around figuring its driver out.

In 18.04 I have been super pleased that it seems I am no longer managing printers. I click "Print" and it tells me what printers are around on my local network, and then it works!

Anyway, my prior wisdom was you can't go wrong with HP, but they've been headed downhill and now I'm a Brother man.

-d​

--
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

On 10/07/2018, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There were native Debian drivers that could print on my printer.  They
> could not access all features, such as duplex printing.  So I installed the
> Brother drivers and I'm happy.

On a Samsung M2835DW, I have printed duplex with no problem, with
UbuntuMATE 16.04, and printers have been more or less plug and play,
for printing and scanning, with 16.04 .

I have been, for some years now, been using a Samsung CLX3185FW, with
no probnlems with printing and scanning, with Ubuntu MATE 16.04

I also have a Samsung SCX4521F, that had worked without problems, for
both scanning and printing, with UbuntuMATE.

The only problems  with the first and the third of these printers, is,
as with all laser pprinters, the toner cartridges need repklacing.

And, as I have previously stated, HP bought out Samsung Printing, so,
the usability of the previous Samsung printers, has now passed to HP.

Years ago, HP had an extremely good name for compatibility with Linux,
then, it faltered with that MS Windows interface thing that made
printers work only with windows as most printers became cheap and
nasty things with all of the processing done by, and, only by,
windows, and then, the sun came out again, and printers started
becoming printers again, that worked with operating systems other than
MS Windows, and then, Samsung sold its printing division to HP, so,
the good name of HP printers (as in compatibility with Linux), appears
to have been restored.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

nitin chandra
Hi,

My experience is with both, Brother DCP -T700W and Epson L-565. Both
are MfP (Print, Scan, Fax, Copier) capable and I use them from Linux
Mint 18.1 over Wi-Fi.
They are both, ink tank colour printer.

My 2 cents.

Thanks