Lost touchpad vertical scrolling after upgrading this laptop from F25->F26

Lost touchpad vertical scrolling after upgrading this laptop from F25->F26

Kevin Cummings
Hi Folks,
        I just recently upgraded the F25 on this laptop (Dell Inspiron 1520) to
F26.  It mostly went well, except that I seem to have lost the ability
to use the vertical scrolling part of my touchpad.  I'm running the MATE
desktop, so the first thing I did was to check the mouse configuration
in System->Preferences->Mouse.  In the touchpad tab, I see that Vertical
Edge Scrolling is indeed checked, and un-checking it and re-checking it
does not bring the functionality back.  I can use two-fingered vertical
scrolling (it also is checked), but I am not an expert, and it seems to
have the side effect of backing up if I move my second finger down into
the horizontal scroll area of the touchpad when trying to do a large
vertical scroll.

        A secondary problem to this is that if I move the mouse pointer into
the right side scroll bar, then click to grab it and move the pointer
vertically, it does scroll the window, but the pointer moves faster than
the scroll bar, and to go all the way (either way) often takes multiple
attempts.

        Finally, if I place the mouse below (or above) the scroll bar, it does
not scroll by just one page, very often I put the pointer closer to the
top or bottom of the scroll bar area, and it scrolls all the way to the
top or bottom.  For this one, how can I get the old behavior back?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
Registered Linux User #1232 (http://www.linuxcounter.net/)

Re: Lost touchpad vertical scrolling after upgrading this laptop from F25->F26

Ian Pilcher
On 04/05/2018 10:54 PM, Kevin Cummings wrote:

> I just recently upgraded the F25 on this laptop (Dell Inspiron 1520) to
> F26.  It mostly went well, except that I seem to have lost the ability
> to use the vertical scrolling part of my touchpad.  I'm running the MATE
> desktop, so the first thing I did was to check the mouse configuration
> in System->Preferences->Mouse.  In the touchpad tab, I see that Vertical
> Edge Scrolling is indeed checked, and un-checking it and re-checking it
> does not bring the functionality back.  I can use two-fingered vertical
> scrolling (it also is checked), but I am not an expert, and it seems to
> have the side effect of backing up if I move my second finger down into
> the horizontal scroll area of the touchpad when trying to do a large
> vertical scroll.

Fedora switched from using the synaptics touchpad driver to libinput(?)
by default.  Unfortunately, the libinput driver doesn't appear to have
all the features that the synaptics driver does.

At least in Fedora 27, you can uninstall the xorg-x11-drv-libinput
package and install xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-legacy.  I'm not sure how
long this will last.

Re: Lost touchpad vertical scrolling after upgrading this laptop from F25->F26

Rick Stevens-3
On 04/06/2018 09:37 AM, Ian Pilcher wrote:

> On 04/05/2018 10:54 PM, Kevin Cummings wrote:
>>     I just recently upgraded the F25 on this laptop (Dell Inspiron
>> F26.  It mostly went well, except that I seem to have lost the ability
>> to use the vertical scrolling part of my touchpad.  I'm running the MATE
>> desktop, so the first thing I did was to check the mouse configuration
>> in System->Preferences->Mouse.  In the touchpad tab, I see that Vertical
>> Edge Scrolling is indeed checked, and un-checking it and re-checking it
>> does not bring the functionality back.  I can use two-fingered vertical
>> scrolling (it also is checked), but I am not an expert, and it seems to
>> have the side effect of backing up if I move my second finger down into
>> the horizontal scroll area of the touchpad when trying to do a large
>> vertical scroll.
>
> Fedora switched from using the synaptics touchpad driver to libinput(?)
> by default.  Unfortunately, the libinput driver doesn't appear to have
> all the features that the synaptics driver does.
>
> At least in Fedora 27, you can uninstall the xorg-x11-drv-libinput
> package and install xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-legacy.  I'm not sure how
> long this will last.

I'm using libinput (/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/libinput_drv.so) on a
Dell Inspiron N7110 laptop running F27 and vertical scroll works just
peachy for me using two fingers on the touchpad. I see these entries in
the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file:

[   109.192] (**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: Applying InputClass
"libinput touchpad catchall"
[   109.192] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AlpsPS/2 ALPS
GlidePoint'

YMMV (your mileage may vary)

On 04/06/18 13:02, Rick Stevens wrote:

> On 04/06/2018 09:37 AM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
>> On 04/05/2018 10:54 PM, Kevin Cummings wrote:
>>>     I just recently upgraded the F25 on this laptop (Dell Inspiron
>>> F26.  It mostly went well, except that I seem to have lost the ability
>>> to use the vertical scrolling part of my touchpad.  I'm running the MATE
>>> desktop, so the first thing I did was to check the mouse configuration
>>> in System->Preferences->Mouse.  In the touchpad tab, I see that Vertical
>>> Edge Scrolling is indeed checked, and un-checking it and re-checking it
>>> does not bring the functionality back.  I can use two-fingered vertical
>>> scrolling (it also is checked), but I am not an expert, and it seems to
>>> have the side effect of backing up if I move my second finger down into
>>> the horizontal scroll area of the touchpad when trying to do a large
>>> vertical scroll.
>>
>> Fedora switched from using the synaptics touchpad driver to libinput(?)
>> by default.  Unfortunately, the libinput driver doesn't appear to have
>> all the features that the synaptics driver does.
>>
>> At least in Fedora 27, you can uninstall the xorg-x11-drv-libinput
>> package and install xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-legacy.  I'm not sure how
>> long this will last.
>
> I'm using libinput (/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/libinput_drv.so) on a
> Dell Inspiron N7110 laptop running F27 and vertical scroll works just
> peachy for me using two fingers on the touchpad. I see these entries in
> the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file:
>
> [   109.192] (**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: Applying InputClass
> "libinput touchpad catchall"
> [   109.192] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AlpsPS/2 ALPS
> GlidePoint'

Yes, it works for me too, but it is awkward to use.

I just replaced xorg-x11-drv-libinput with xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-legacy
on my F26 system, and all is well with the world again (at least until I
upgrade to F27 later this summer).