Lots of kworkers

Volker Wysk
Hi

Every few days, I get a lot of kworkers (some 50) in the process list. The hard disk clatters all the time. From the web I've found that those are kernel threads. Since I have an SSD (apart from the harddisk, set up as a cache for the HD), this doesn't make my system unresponsive. But still...

What's going on here? And how to get rid of all  those kworkers?

Bye
Volker

Re: Lots of kworkers

Colin Law-2
On 17 March 2018 at 08:20, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Every few days, I get a lot of kworkers (some 50) in the process list. The hard disk clatters all the time. From the web I've found that those are kernel threads. Since I have an SSD (apart from the harddisk, set up as a cache for the HD), this doesn't make my system unresponsive. But still...

What's going on here? And how to get rid of all  those kworkers?

I do remember some bugs that caused lots of kworkers to appear. Which version of Ubuntu are you using?  The hard disk should not be clattering all the time when you are not doing anything.  Have you checked that you are not running out of RAM and so using Swap memory?

Colin

Re: Lots of kworkers

Volker Wysk
Am Samstag, 17. März 2018, 08:56:22 CET schrieb Colin Law:

> On 17 March 2018 at 08:20, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Every few days, I get a lot of kworkers (some 50) in the process list. The
> > hard disk clatters all the time. From the web I've found that those are
> > kernel threads. Since I have an SSD (apart from the harddisk, set up as a
> > cache for the HD), this doesn't make my system unresponsive. But still...
> >
> > What's going on here? And how to get rid of all  those kworkers?
> >

> I do remember some bugs that caused lots of kworkers to appear.

Kernel bugs?

> Which
> version of Ubuntu are you using?

Kubuntu 16.04.3

> The hard disk should not be clattering
> all the time when you are not doing anything.  Have you checked that you
> are not running out of RAM and so using Swap memory?

Good point. I've checked now. About half of my 8 GB are in use, no swap. At present, the problem is absent. I'll check again, when it happens again.

Bye
Volker

Re: Lots of kworkers

Volker Wysk
Am Samstag, 17. März 2018, 10:43:44 CET schrieb Volker Wysk:
> > Which
> > version of Ubuntu are you using?
>
> Kubuntu 16.04.3

Oops. This is 16.0.4 in the meantime.

Volker

Re: Lots of kworkers

Colin Law-2
On 17 March 2018 at 09:59, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Samstag, 17. März 2018, 10:43:44 CET schrieb Volker Wysk:
> > Which
> > version of Ubuntu are you using?
>
> Kubuntu 16.04.3

Oops. This is 16.0.4 in the meantime.

16.04.4?

Colin

Volker

Re: Lots of kworkers

Volker Wysk
Am Samstag, 17. März 2018, 10:26:59 CET schrieb Colin Law:

> > > Kubuntu 16.04.3
> >
> > Oops. This is 16.0.4 in the meantime.
> >

> 16.04.4?

Yes.

Volker

Re: Lots of kworkers

Volker Wysk
Hi

Am Samstag, 17. März 2018, 10:43:44 CET schrieb Volker Wysk:
> > The hard disk should not be clattering
> > all the time when you are not doing anything.  Have you checked that you
> > are not running out of RAM and so using Swap memory?
>
> Good point. I've checked now. About half of my 8 GB are in use, no swap. At present, the problem is absent. I'll check again, when it happens again.

The problem is occuring again now. But it isn't swapping.

Volker