Network Manager not Retaining Wifi Password

Network Manager not Retaining Wifi Password

Stephen Morris
Hi,

     After the last system update in F28 Network Manager is not
retaining the wifi password entered into its security tab. When I enter
the password and select apply then 'OK' to exit network manager, when I
get back in the password is gone. Is anyone else seeing this issue or
have any tips on how to rectify this issue?

regards,

Steve

Re: Network Manager not Retaining Wifi Password

Ed Greshko
On 9/13/18 7:39 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
> After the last system update in F28 Network Manager is not retaining the wifi
> password entered into its security tab. When I enter the password and select apply
> then 'OK' to exit network manager, when I get back in the password is gone. Is
> anyone else seeing this issue or have any tips on how to rectify this issue?

Can we assume you're using GNOME?

If so, when you have the security tab open there is what looks like 2 people on the
right hand side in the password box.
If you click on that there should be 3 choices.  What is yours set to?

--
Cardinal Rule of Presentations: "Tell them what you are going to tell them, tell
them, then tell them what you told them."

On 14/9/18 12:29 am, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 9/13/18 7:39 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> After the last system update in F28 Network Manager is not retaining the wifi
>> password entered into its security tab. When I enter the password and select apply
>> then 'OK' to exit network manager, when I get back in the password is gone. Is
>> anyone else seeing this issue or have any tips on how to rectify this issue?
> Can we assume you're using GNOME?
>
> If so, when you have the security tab open there is what looks like 2 people on the
> right hand side in the password box.
> If you click on that there should be 3 choices.  What is yours set to?

Thanks Ed, sorry its taken me a while to response, I haven't been on
much recently. I'm actually using KDE. As well as the situation
mentioned above, when I get into KDE I get prompted for my password to
supply to Kwallet, and then I get prompted to enter my Wifi password, at
which point the wifi gets activated and then the firewall get started
for the network adapter. I was using the option 'Store this password for
this user only (encrypted)' which was not retaining it on exit, as a
test I switched to 'Store this password for all users (Unencrypted)'
which seems to be retaining it from the perspective of when I exit and
get back in the password is still there. If the 2nd option has indeed
retained the password, could there be a slight logic error in
networkmanager where 'Store this password for this user only
(encrypted)' seems to be functioning like the option of 'Ask for this
password every time'?

On 9/26/18 4:34 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:

> On 14/9/18 12:29 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 9/13/18 7:39 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>> After the last system update in F28 Network Manager is not retaining the wifi
>>> password entered into its security tab. When I enter the password and select apply
>>> then 'OK' to exit network manager, when I get back in the password is gone. Is
>>> anyone else seeing this issue or have any tips on how to rectify this issue?
>> Can we assume you're using GNOME?
>>
>> If so, when you have the security tab open there is what looks like 2 people on the
>> right hand side in the password box.
>> If you click on that there should be 3 choices.  What is yours set to?
>
> Thanks Ed, sorry its taken me a while to response, I haven't been on much recently.
> I'm actually using KDE. As well as the situation mentioned above, when I get into
> KDE I get prompted for my password to supply to Kwallet, and then I get prompted to
> enter my Wifi password, at which point the wifi gets activated and then the
> firewall get started for the network adapter. I was using the option 'Store this
> password for this user only (encrypted)' which was not retaining it on exit, as a
> test I switched to 'Store this password for all users (Unencrypted)' which seems to
> be retaining it from the perspective of when I exit and get back in the password is
> still there. If the 2nd option has indeed retained the password, could there be a
> slight logic error in networkmanager where 'Store this password for this user only
> (encrypted)' seems to be functioning like the option of 'Ask for this password
> every time'?

I see.  I am a KDE user as well.

I have my WiFi security set to "Store password for this user only (encrypted)".  When
I activate the connection I am prompted for my kwallet password and the
connection is made without asking for the WiFi password.  So, in my case there is no
issue.  The WiFi password is being retained.

If you bring up kwalletmanager5 you should see an entry for "Network Management".
This is where WiFi and VPN "secrets" are kept in the Maps area.

Your WiFi connection should have a name.  And that name should (in most cases) match
a name in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

For example, one of my WiFi connections is "asus2" and in the network-scripts
directory I have a ifcfg-asus2.  Looking at that file there is a UUID line.
UUID=8eef1e08-095e-4fb2-8dab-50ef1c19a114.  This line matches a line in the Maps area
and there exists a "psk" Key.

Do you have something similar?

On 26/9/18 7:21 pm, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 9/26/18 4:34 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>> Can we assume you're using GNOME?
>>>
>>> If so, when you have the security tab open there is what looks like 2 people on the
>>> right hand side in the password box.
>>> If you click on that there should be 3 choices.  What is yours set to?
>> Thanks Ed, sorry its taken me a while to response, I haven't been on much recently.
>> I'm actually using KDE. As well as the situation mentioned above, when I get into
>> KDE I get prompted for my password to supply to Kwallet, and then I get prompted to
>> enter my Wifi password, at which point the wifi gets activated and then the
>> firewall get started for the network adapter. I was using the option 'Store this
>> password for this user only (encrypted)' which was not retaining it on exit, as a
>> test I switched to 'Store this password for all users (Unencrypted)' which seems to
>> be retaining it from the perspective of when I exit and get back in the password is
>> still there. If the 2nd option has indeed retained the password, could there be a
>> slight logic error in networkmanager where 'Store this password for this user only
>> (encrypted)' seems to be functioning like the option of 'Ask for this password
>> every time'?
>>

> I see.  I am a KDE user as well.
>
> I have my WiFi security set to "Store password for this user only (encrypted)".  When
> I activate the connection I am prompted for my kwallet password and the
> connection is made without asking for the WiFi password.  So, in my case there is no
> issue.  The WiFi password is being retained.
>
> If you bring up kwalletmanager5 you should see an entry for "Network Management".
> This is where WiFi and VPN "secrets" are kept in the Maps area.
>
> Your WiFi connection should have a name.  And that name should (in most cases) match
> a name in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
>
> For example, one of my WiFi connections is "asus2" and in the network-scripts
> directory I have a ifcfg-asus2.  Looking at that file there is a UUID line.
> UUID=8eef1e08-095e-4fb2-8dab-50ef1c19a114.  This line matches a line in the Maps area
> and there exists a "psk" Key.
>
> Do you have something similar?

Thanks Ed. I didn't have kwalletmanager of any sort installed, so I have
now installed kwalletmanager5.

My wifi connection is dlink-4A42 and there is an ifcfg-dlink-4A42 script
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts as well as a keys-dlink-4A42 that
contained my password. Looking at the UUID line under Maps and it was a
vpn entry, there was no 802.11 wireless security entry at all, and the
uuid did not match that in the ifcfg file. While kwalletmanager5 was
active I switched my wife definition in networkmanager back to "Store
password for this user only (encrypted)" and that put a uuid entry into
the maps area, while I was watching, that matched the uuid in the ifcfg
file with my wifi password. Having rebooted the issue has now been resolved.

The only thing I can think of that would have caused this is that having
changed the router I am using I encountered an issue under Windows 10
that looked like there was an incompatibility between the Dlink DWA192
AC1900 adapter I was using and the Dlink router (I could access the
internet through a browser, and applications like games could access the
internet over the 2.4GHz channel but not over either of the 5GHz
channels) so I changed my wireless adapter to a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900
adapter but that made no difference, and it turned out the issue was and
"Anti ARP-spoofing" option I had active in my windows firewall, which as
far as I can determine in not active/available in the Fedora firewall.
Unfortunately the Nighthawk adapter uses the same chipset as the DWA192
which is not supported in the kernel, hence uses the same kernel driver
the DWA adapter does. The unfortunate thing was I had changed the
dkms.conf file for the driver to use the same make command syntax that
was specified in the dkms.conf file supplied by the vendor for the Razor
gaming mouse I was using (before I changed the mouse and keyboard both
over to logitech gaming devices) to compile their mouse utilities to
identify how to find the kernel headers to compile for, which for some
reason produced a compiled driver that the kernel could not load because
of some sort of "Exec" errors. Changing the make command back to what I
was originally using rectified this issue (according to the dkms
documentation the razor methodology and the methodology I am using both
do the same thing). While I had these issues I was using ethernet
through networkmanager to get internet access and the wifi definition
was left at specifying to limit the wifi definition to the DWA adapters
mac address. Having rectified the driver compile issue, and still using
ethernet, I modified the wifi config to not limit the definition to a
specific device, deactivated the ethernet connection and connected via
wifi which then prompted for the kwallet password and then prompted for
the wireless password, which exhibited the issue raised in this thread
above. The only thing I can think of is that with the required password
changes from changing routers, and changing adapters, and dynamically
changing from ethernet to wireless, that it was too many changes at once
for networkmanager to cope with.

On 9/28/18 11:49 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
> I switched my wife definition in networkmanager back to "Store password for this
> user only (encrypted)" and that put a uuid entry into the maps area, while I was
> watching, that matched the uuid in the ifcfg file with my wifi password. Having
> rebooted the issue has now been resolved.

Good to know that the issue has been resolved.  I really hope it wasn't due to
switching your "wife definition".  :-)

On 29/9/18 1:25 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 9/28/18 11:49 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> I switched my wife definition in networkmanager back to "Store password for this
>> user only (encrypted)" and that put a uuid entry into the maps area, while I was
>> watching, that matched the uuid in the ifcfg file with my wifi password. Having
>> rebooted the issue has now been resolved.
> Good to know that the issue has been resolved.  I really hope it wasn't due to
> switching your "wife definition".  :-)

I don't think it was switching the wifi definition. The encrypted
definition is what I have always used, but it stopped working when I
changed the wifi router and adapter and the kernel wouldn't load the
adapter driver because of the compile options I used. Thankyou for all
your help.

On 1/10/18 7:35 am, Stephen Morris wrote:

> On 29/9/18 1:25 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 9/28/18 11:49 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>> I switched my wife definition in networkmanager back to "Store
>>> password for this
>>> user only (encrypted)" and that put a uuid entry into the maps area,
>>> while I was
>>> watching, that matched the uuid in the ifcfg file with my wifi
>>> password. Having
>>> rebooted the issue has now been resolved.
>> Good to know that the issue has been resolved.  I really hope it
>> wasn't due to
>> switching your "wife definition".  :-)
>
> I don't think it was switching the wifi definition. The encrypted
> definition is what I have always used, but it stopped working when I
> changed the wifi router and adapter and the kernel wouldn't load the
> adapter driver because of the compile options I used. Thankyou for all
> your help.
>

> regards,
>
> Steve

Having just revisited this issue after rectifying the issue with my wifi
definition, it has resurfaced again with my two vpn definitions. The two
vpn definitions don't have the password recorded even though I have
specified it in the past. If I bring up knetworkmanager5 and look in
there the password is there, and if I transfer it into the vpn
definition in networkmanager and 'apply' it, select 'ok' to exit the
edit process, and then re-edit the definition, the password is not there
(this is the same issue I originally had with the wifi definition), and
then when I connect to the definition I am prompted for the vpn password
(I don't get prompted for the kwallet password as I have pam-kwallet
installed).

Do I need to change the definition from 'save password encrypted' to
'save not encrypted' to get the appropriate file created with the
password, and then change it back to 'save password encrypted' to get
the password retained (as worked with the wifi password issue)? If so,
why is networkmanager now working like this?

On 7/11/18 8:26 am, Stephen Morris wrote:

> On 1/10/18 7:35 am, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>> Good to know that the issue has been resolved.  I really hope it
>>> wasn't due to
>>> switching your "wife definition".  :-)
>>
>> I don't think it was switching the wifi definition. The encrypted
>> definition is what I have always used, but it stopped working when I
>> changed the wifi router and adapter and the kernel wouldn't load the
>> adapter driver because of the compile options I used. Thankyou for
>> all your help.
>>

>> regards,
>>
>> Steve
>
> Having just revisited this issue after rectifying the issue with my
> wifi definition, it has resurfaced again with my two vpn definitions.
> The two vpn definitions don't have the password recorded even though I
> have specified it in the past. If I bring up knetworkmanager5 and look
> in there the password is there, and if I transfer it into the vpn
> definition in networkmanager and 'apply' it, select 'ok' to exit the
> edit process, and then re-edit the definition, the password is not
> there (this is the same issue I originally had with the wifi
> definition), and then when I connect to the definition I am prompted
> for the vpn password (I don't get prompted for the kwallet password as
> I have pam-kwallet installed).
>
> Do I need to change the definition from 'save password encrypted' to
> 'save not encrypted' to get the appropriate file created with the
> password, and then change it back to 'save password encrypted' to get
> the password retained (as worked with the wifi password issue)? If so,
> why is networkmanager now working like this?

This is indeed what I had to do to get networkmanager to retain the
passwords. I had to change the password setting to all users to build a
config file with the password in plain text, then switch it back to the
current user mode to get it encrypted again and the password saved in
the definition, is this a bug in Networkmanager functionality?

regards,

Steve

On 11/13/18 4:56 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:

> On 7/11/18 8:26 am, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think it was switching the wifi definition. The encrypted definition is what I
>>> have always used, but it stopped working when I changed the wifi router and adapter
>>> and the kernel wouldn't load the adapter driver because of the compile options I used.
>>> Thankyou for all your help.
>>>

>>> regards,
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> Having just revisited this issue after rectifying the issue with my wifi definition, it
>> has resurfaced again with my two vpn definitions. The two vpn definitions don't have
>> the password recorded even though I have specified it in the past. If I bring up
>> knetworkmanager5 and look in there the password is there, and if I transfer it into the
>> vpn definition in networkmanager and 'apply' it, select 'ok' to exit the edit process,
>> and then re-edit the definition, the password is not there (this is the same issue I
>> originally had with the wifi definition), and then when I connect to the definition I
>> am prompted for the vpn password (I don't get prompted for the kwallet password as I
>> have pam-kwallet installed).
>>
>> Do I need to change the definition from 'save password encrypted' to 'save not
>> encrypted' to get the appropriate file created with the password, and then change it
>> back to 'save password encrypted' to get the password retained (as worked with the wifi
>> password issue)? If so, why is networkmanager now working like this?
>
> This is indeed what I had to do to get networkmanager to retain the passwords. I had to
> change the password setting to all users to build a config file with the password in
> plain text, then switch it back to the current user mode to get it encrypted again and
> the password saved in the definition, is this a bug in Networkmanager functionality?

Well, I've not had any of the issues you're seeing.  So, if there is a problem with NM it
must be due to something triggering it on your system.

--
Fedora Users - The place to go to beat OT dead horses :-) :-)

On 13/11/18 8:13 am, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 11/13/18 4:56 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:

>>> Having just revisited this issue after rectifying the issue with my wifi definition, it
>>> has resurfaced again with my two vpn definitions. The two vpn definitions don't have
>>> the password recorded even though I have specified it in the past. If I bring up
>>> knetworkmanager5 and look in there the password is there, and if I transfer it into the
>>> vpn definition in networkmanager and 'apply' it, select 'ok' to exit the edit process,
>>> and then re-edit the definition, the password is not there (this is the same issue I
>>> originally had with the wifi definition), and then when I connect to the definition I
>>> am prompted for the vpn password (I don't get prompted for the kwallet password as I
>>> have pam-kwallet installed).
>>>
>>> Do I need to change the definition from 'save password encrypted' to 'save not
>>> encrypted' to get the appropriate file created with the password, and then change it
>>> back to 'save password encrypted' to get the password retained (as worked with the wifi
>>> password issue)? If so, why is networkmanager now working like this?
>> This is indeed what I had to do to get networkmanager to retain the passwords. I had to
>> change the password setting to all users to build a config file with the password in
>> plain text, then switch it back to the current user mode to get it encrypted again and
>> the password saved in the definition, is this a bug in Networkmanager functionality?
>>

> Well, I've not had any of the issues you're seeing.  So, if there is a problem with NM it
> must be due to something triggering it on your system.

It's possible it is environmental, but if it is how do I identify what
is causing it given that this was not always the functionality with nm
on my system, and from my perspective it surfaced on a cold boot after
putting on system maintenance.

On 11/14/18 5:03 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
> It's possible it is environmental, but if it is how do I identify what is causing it
> given that this was not always the functionality with nm on my system, and from my
> perspective it surfaced on a cold boot after putting on system maintenance.

Well, the first thing I would do is to create a new user account and see if that account
acts the same as the one you are using now.  That should narrow it down to user space or
system wide.

On 14/11/18 8:14 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 11/14/18 5:03 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> It's possible it is environmental, but if it is how do I identify what is causing it
>> given that this was not always the functionality with nm on my system, and from my
>> perspective it surfaced on a cold boot after putting on system maintenance.
> Well, the first thing I would do is to create a new user account and see if that account
> acts the same as the one you are using now.  That should narrow it down to user space or
> system wide.

Thanks Ed, I'll try that. I've also got some existing accounts created
for my children that haven't been used for at least 3 years, so I'll try
one of those too.

regards,

Steve

Re: Network Manager not Retaining Wifi Password

Stephen Morris
On 14/11/18 8:14 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 11/14/18 5:03 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> It's possible it is environmental, but if it is how do I identify what is causing it
>> given that this was not always the functionality with nm on my system, and from my
>> perspective it surfaced on a cold boot after putting on system maintenance.
> Well, the first thing I would do is to create a new user account and see if that account
> acts the same as the one you are using now.  That should narrow it down to user space or
> system wide.

I tried an existing user account that hasn't been used for over 3 years
and it had the same issue.

I also created a new user and it behaved similarly but slightly
differently. When I logged in with the new user I made the mistake of
not changing the default so it logged into Gnome, and when Gnome started
Networkmanager had a definition for ethernet and my wifi even though
they had not been explicitly set up, and the wifi definition had the
correct password for my router as the network was connected.

I logged out of Gnome and logged into KDE, and went into the
networkmanager wifi definition and deliberately set the wifi password to
an incorrect entry from the correct entry that the definition had. The
incorrect entry was not retained and neither was the correct entry
blanked out like in the original issue, or something was overwriting the
incorrect entry with the correct one.

Having gotten this issue with the new user account I checked
kwalletmanager5 on that account and kwalletmanager5 was completely
empty, as it is if I run kwalletmanager5 under root. I installed
pam-kwallet after getting the issue, which stopped the prompt for the
kwallet password when it was being accessed, so I don't know if that is
impacting what is occurring relative to the correct wifi password being
retained.

regards,

Steve

Re: Network Manager not Retaining Wifi Password

Samuel Sieb
On 11/18/18 1:42 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
> I also created a new user and it behaved similarly but slightly
> differently. When I logged in with the new user I made the mistake of
> not changing the default so it logged into Gnome, and when Gnome started
> Networkmanager had a definition for ethernet and my wifi even though
> they had not been explicitly set up, and the wifi definition had the
> correct password for my router as the network was connected.

Ethernet is normally automatic, no configuration required.
By default, NetworkManager stores the password in a keys-* file.  I've
never tried making a connection not global so I don't know what would
happen in that case.  I assume that somewhere along the way with your
KDE tests, the password got stored.  When you used Gnome, it would have
the password already.

> I logged out of Gnome and logged into KDE, and went into the
> networkmanager wifi definition and deliberately set the wifi password to
> an incorrect entry from the correct entry that the definition had. The
> incorrect entry was not retained and neither was the correct entry
> blanked out like in the original issue, or something was overwriting the
> incorrect entry with the correct one.

It would seem that something isn't working quite right between KDE and
NetworkManager.

On 19/11/18 1:48 pm, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> On 11/18/18 1:42 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> I also created a new user and it behaved similarly but slightly
>> differently. When I logged in with the new user I made the mistake of
>> not changing the default so it logged into Gnome, and when Gnome
>> started Networkmanager had a definition for ethernet and my wifi even
>> though they had not been explicitly set up, and the wifi definition
>> had the correct password for my router as the network was connected.
>
> Ethernet is normally automatic, no configuration required.
> By default, NetworkManager stores the password in a keys-* file. I've
> never tried making a connection not global so I don't know what would
> happen in that case.  I assume that somewhere along the way with your
> KDE tests, the password got stored.  When you used Gnome, it would
> have the password already.
 From my experience, at least under KDE, the password is stored in
keys-* files if the wifi-security enty in Networkmanager is set to
"Store password for all users (not encrypted)" and as the option says
the password is in plain text in the keys file. If the option is changed
to "Store password for this user only (encrypted)" the keys file is
removed and the encrypted password is stored in kwallet. The original
issue with the password being blank instead of masked in the wifi
definition surfaced when investigating why at KDE start up, after I was
prompted for the kwallet password, I was being prompted for the wifi
password before the network would activate. Installing pam-kwallet has
now stopped the prompting for the kwallet password every time I start KDE.

>> I logged out of Gnome and logged into KDE, and went into the
>> networkmanager wifi definition and deliberately set the wifi password
>> to an incorrect entry from the correct entry that the definition had.
>> The incorrect entry was not retained and neither was the correct
>> entry blanked out like in the original issue, or something was
>> overwriting the incorrect entry with the correct one.
>
> It would seem that something isn't working quite right between KDE and
> NetworkManager.

My assumption was it was a Networkmanager is when changing the password
setting from "encrypted" to "not encrypted" caused the password to be
retained, and then changing the setting from "not encrypted" back to
"encrypted" continued to retain the password in the Networkmanager wifi
configuration.

regards,

Steve