No Swap Allocation in FSTAB

Stephen Morris
Hi,
     I've noticed when trying remediate performance issues in F34 under
a vm, that fedora does not have a swap specification in fstab anymore,
but is using, in my case, and 8GB swap partition in /dev/zram0. Does
this mean that if I create a swap partition of a bigger size and specify
it in fstab it will be ignored?
     Alternatively, given the fedora is using it's own rules for
determining the swap size based on the amount of memory available, is
there any way to increase the size of /dev/zram0 so that there is more
swap space available to the system?

regards,
Steve

Re: No Swap Allocation in FSTAB

Ed Greshko
On 19/06/2021 12:45, Stephen Morris wrote:
> Hi,
>     I've noticed when trying remediate performance issues in F34 under a vm, that fedora does not have a swap specification in fstab anymore, but is using, in my case, and 8GB swap partition in /dev/zram0. Does this mean that if I create a swap partition of a bigger size and specify it in fstab it will be ignored?

Ignored?  No.  But not primary.  e.g.

[egreshko@meimei ~]$ swapon
NAME       TYPE       SIZE USED PRIO
/dev/sda2  partition 16.9G   0B   -2
/dev/zram0 partition  4.7G   0B  100

So, it may or may not be used.

> Alternatively, given the fedora is using it's own rules for determining the swap size based on the amount of memory available, is there any way to increase the size of /dev/zram0 so that there is more swap space available to the system?

I think

man zram-generator

will help in that.

--
Remind me to ignore comments which aren't germane to the thread.

On 19/6/21 15:31, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 19/06/2021 12:45, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>     I've noticed when trying remediate performance issues in F34
>> under a vm, that fedora does not have a swap specification in fstab
>> anymore, but is using, in my case, and 8GB swap partition in
>> /dev/zram0. Does this mean that if I create a swap partition of a
>> bigger size and specify it in fstab it will be ignored?
>
> Ignored?  No.  But not primary.  e.g.
>
> [egreshko@meimei ~]$ swapon
> NAME       TYPE       SIZE USED PRIO
> /dev/sda2  partition 16.9G   0B   -2
> /dev/zram0 partition  4.7G   0B  100
>
> So, it may or may not be used.
>

>> Alternatively, given the fedora is using it's own rules for
>> determining the swap size based on the amount of memory available, is
>> there any way to increase the size of /dev/zram0 so that there is
>> more swap space available to the system?
>>

> I think
>
> man zram-generator
>
> will help in that.
Thanks Ed, I'll check that man data out. In my case with an auto storage
configuration at F34 install time there isn't any swap entry in fstab or
swap partition. I think I need to expand this in virtualbox as I think
that virtualbox's lack of video memory is causing performance issues in F34.

On 19/06/2021 21:44, Stephen Morris wrote:

> On 19/6/21 15:31, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 19/06/2021 12:45, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>     I've noticed when trying remediate performance issues in F34 under a vm, that fedora does not have a swap specification in fstab anymore, but is using, in my case, and 8GB swap partition in /dev/zram0. Does this mean that if I create a swap partition of a bigger size and specify it in fstab it will be ignored?
>>
>> Ignored?  No.  But not primary.  e.g.
>>
>> [egreshko@meimei ~]$ swapon
>> NAME       TYPE       SIZE USED PRIO
>> /dev/sda2  partition 16.9G   0B   -2
>> /dev/zram0 partition  4.7G   0B  100
>>
>> So, it may or may not be used.
>>

>>> Alternatively, given the fedora is using it's own rules for determining the swap size based on the amount of memory available, is there any way to increase the size of /dev/zram0 so that there is more swap space available to the system?
>>>

>> I think
>>
>> man zram-generator
>>
>> will help in that.
> Thanks Ed, I'll check that man data out. In my case with an auto storage configuration at F34 install time there isn't any swap entry in fstab or swap partition. I think I need to expand this in virtualbox as I think that virtualbox's lack of video memory is causing performance issues in F34.

My system has been upgraded from versions without ZRAM.  That is the reason my system has a defined swap
partition on disk.

I don't see the connection between Video Memory and swap.

VirtualBox has a per-VM setting for its display and video memory. At least that is the case for VirtualBox running
as a host on linux.  I seem to recall you're using VirtualBox on HW running Windows?

--
Remind me to ignore comments which aren't germane to the thread.