OT: Annoying List Behavior....

Ed Greshko
OK, is anyone else seeing this and/or finding this annoying?

Getting list emails where I don't really know who is sending. The "From" shows as

None via users <[hidden email]>

So, it is showing up as "Fedora" in the From column of T-Bird.  The actual header in the email are showing as

From: None via users <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]

So, it seem that olivares33561 is the real poster.

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: OT: Annoying List Behavior....

François Patte
Le 04/06/2018 à 16:31, Ed Greshko a écrit :

> OK, is anyone else seeing this and/or finding this annoying?
>
> Getting list emails where I don't really know who is sending. The "From" shows as
>
> None via users <[hidden email]>
>
> So, it is showing up as "Fedora" in the From column of T-Bird.  The actual header in the email are showing as
>
> From: None via users <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
For this message (and others), I get:

From: [hidden email]
Subject: OT: Annoying List Behavior...
To: [hidden email]

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique

Re: OT: Annoying List Behavior....

Todd Zullinger
Ed Greshko wrote:

> OK, is anyone else seeing this and/or finding this annoying?
>
> Getting list emails where I don't really know who is sending. The "From" shows as
>
> None via users <[hidden email]>
>
> So, it is showing up as "Fedora" in the From column of T-Bird.  The actual header in the email are showing as
>
> From: None via users <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
>
> So, it seem that olivares33561 is the real poster.
The DMARC mitigations we put in place a few months ago are
the reason you see this.  This sender doesn't have any name
in their from field, so None is all we get.

Normally if someone sending from a domain with strict DMARC
rules configured their From field as 'Name <[hidden email]>'
the list DMARC mitigation would take the 'Name' part, add
'via users' and send it from the list address.

Thunderbird showing you 'Fedora' is due to the mail client
reversing the name from your local address book.  I have no
idea if you can tell Thunderbird not to do that or not.

I don't think there's much we can do about it on the list
side.

Ideally [hidden email] would configure a name
in the email address field used when posting on public
lists.  I've Cc'd [hidden email].

--
Todd

Re: OT: Annoying List Behavior....

Mike Wright-2
On 06/04/2018 08:22 AM, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> OK, is anyone else seeing this and/or finding this annoying?
>>
>> Getting list emails where I don't really know who is sending. The "From" shows as
>>
>> None via users <[hidden email]>
>>
>> So, it is showing up as "Fedora" in the From column of T-Bird.  The actual header in the email are showing as
>>
>> From: None via users <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: [hidden email]
>>
>> So, it seem that olivares33561 is the real poster.
>
> The DMARC mitigations we put in place a few months ago are
> the reason you see this.  This sender doesn't have any name
> in their from field, so None is all we get.
>
> Normally if someone sending from a domain with strict DMARC
> rules configured their From field as 'Name <[hidden email]>'
> the list DMARC mitigation would take the 'Name' part, add
> 'via users' and send it from the list address.
>
> Thunderbird showing you 'Fedora' is due to the mail client
> reversing the name from your local address book.  I have no
> idea if you can tell Thunderbird not to do that or not.
>
> I don't think there's much we can do about it on the list

This looks like a good time to ask about this.  I have two addresses
that I use on this list: one to send mail, mail to that address is
dropped; one to receive mail, never used to send to the list.  IOW,
whatever mail I send to this list I receive as a different user.

Some time ago my posts to fedora users started showing up in MY
thunderbird not as the sender but as some fedora address with an arrow
to its left.  If it's only me with this issue that is not a problem.

What I'd like to know is: what does my sender address look like to other
recipients? is it "Mike Wright", or is it some generic Fedora address?
What does THIS post display on your thunderbird client as the
"Correspondent"?

Thanks to any helpers.

Re: OT: Annoying List Behavior....

Fedora mailing list
On 04/06/18 16:55, Mike Wright wrote:
> What I'd like to know is: what does my sender address look like to
> other recipients? is it "Mike Wright", or is it some generic Fedora
> address? What does THIS post display on your thunderbird client as the
> "Correspondent"?
>
> Thanks to any helpers.

Re: OT: Annoying List Behavior....

Dr J Austin-2
Evolution shows me this

From:Mike Wright <[hidden email]>
To:[hidden email]
Subject:Re: OT: Annoying List Behavior....
Date:Mon, 4 Jun 2018 08:55:01 -0700 (04.06.2018 16:55:01)

John

Re: OT: Annoying List Behavior....

Robert Moskowitz

On 06/04/2018 12:27 PM, Danny Horne via users wrote:
> On 04/06/18 16:55, Mike Wright wrote:
>> What I'd like to know is: what does my sender address look like to
>> other recipients? is it "Mike Wright", or is it some generic Fedora
>> address? What does THIS post display on your thunderbird client as the
>> "Correspondent"?
>>
>> Thanks to any helpers.
> You are Mike Wright on my Thunderbird

Oh, this is fun!  I use Thunderbird and run my own mail server.  I
checked message source and for this message from you I find:

From: Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]>
Cc: Danny Horne <[hidden email]>

So something is rewriting the from, most likely the list server.

Danny Horne via users wrote:

> On 04/06/18 18:56, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Oh, this is fun!  I use Thunderbird and run my own mail server.  I
>> checked message source and for this message from you I find:
>>
>> From: Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: Danny Horne <[hidden email]>
>>

>> So something is rewriting the from, most likely the list server.

> I thought all list servers did that as a matter of course (p.s. I run my
> own mail server to with strict DMARC settings)
For anyone curious, please refer to the announcement of this
change and subsequent discussion here:

    https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/XRCBUN3OJU3NDO47TBWYUSNT4HEP24T4/

In short, it's intended and expected.  If there are any
issues, those should be addressed to the list admins.

--
Todd

Re: OT: Annoying List Behavior....

Fedora mailing list

​Sent from ProtonMail, encrypted email based in Switzerland.​

On June 4, 2018 1:19 PM, Todd Zullinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​​
>
> Danny Horne via users wrote:
>
> > On 04/06/18 18:56, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >
> > > Oh, this is fun!  I use Thunderbird and run my own mail server.  I
> > >
> > > checked message source and for this message from you I find:
> > >
> > > From: Danny Horne via users [hidden email]
> > >
> > > Cc: Danny Horne [hidden email]
> > >
> > > So something is rewriting the from, most likely the list server.
> >
> > I thought all list servers did that as a matter of course (p.s. I run my
> >
> > own mail server to with strict DMARC settings)
>
> For anyone curious, please refer to the announcement of this
>
> change and subsequent discussion here:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/XRCBUN3OJU3NDO47TBWYUSNT4HEP24T4/
>
> In short, it's intended and expected. If there are any
>
> issues, those should be addressed to the list admins.
>

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Todd
>
>     Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks
>     without knowledge, of things without parallel.
>         -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

Dear all,

I am the usr @ [hidden email].  The provider protonmail does this (none ).  I switched from yahoo.com over the other problems.  See the other threads.  I hope there are no more problems or complaints.

Regards,

Antonio

Re: OT: Annoying List Behavior....

jdow
On 20180604 07:31, Ed Greshko wrote:

> OK, is anyone else seeing this and/or finding this annoying?
>
> Getting list emails where I don't really know who is sending. The "From" shows as
>
> None via users <[hidden email]>
>
> So, it is showing up as "Fedora" in the From column of T-Bird.  The actual header in the email are showing as
>
> From: None via users <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
>
> So, it seem that olivares33561 is the real poster.

Check off "Correspondents" as a column head rather than "from".
{^_^}

On 06/05/18 08:25, jdow wrote:

> On 20180604 07:31, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> OK, is anyone else seeing this and/or finding this annoying?
>>
>> Getting list emails where I don't really know who is sending. The "From" shows as
>>
>> None via users <[hidden email]>
>>
>> So, it is showing up as "Fedora" in the From column of T-Bird.  The actual header
>> in the email are showing as
>>
>> From: None via users <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: [hidden email]
>>
>> So, it seem that olivares33561 is the real poster.
>
> Check off "Correspondents" as a column head rather than "from".
> {^_^}

Doesn't help for me.  Still shows "Fedora" under "Correspondents".

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: OT: Annoying List Behavior....

Fedora mailing list
Allegedly, on or about 4 June 2018, Todd Zullinger sent:
> Normally if someone sending from a domain with strict DMARC
> rules configured their From field as 'Name <[hidden email]>'
> the list DMARC mitigation would take the 'Name' part, add
> 'via users' and send it from the list address.
>
> Thunderbird showing you 'Fedora' is due to the mail client
> reversing the name from your local address book.  I have no
> idea if you can tell Thunderbird not to do that or not.

Thunderbird has/had a "show only display name for people in my address
book."  Untick that, and it should show the whole address.  It's in the
display section, advanced sub-section.

I find that kind of thing annoying.  It's easy enough to come across
people with the same names, and it's helpful to have the full address
to quickly tell them apart.

> I don't think there's much we can do about it on the list
> side.

If an email address didn't have a name portion, I would have used the
email accountname immediately left of the @ sign.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.7-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 2 21:45:56 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

The internet, your opportunity to learn from other peoples' mistakes.

On 20180604 17:25, jdow wrote:

> On 20180604 07:31, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> OK, is anyone else seeing this and/or finding this annoying?
>>
>> Getting list emails where I don't really know who is sending. The "From" shows as
>>
>> None via users <[hidden email]>
>>
>> So, it is showing up as "Fedora" in the From column of T-Bird.  The actual
>> header in the email are showing as
>>
>> From: None via users <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: [hidden email]
>>
>> So, it seem that olivares33561 is the real poster.
>
> Check off "Correspondents" as a column head rather than "from".
> {^_^}

Hm, I see that does not always work when I use Reply-List. Ah well, it seems 'ix
related lists work hard to screw up MUAs. It's almost funny. Every time
something works it has to be changed to "something better" which breaks
everything in its path. I think that's why 'ix remains a server world and not a
user world. Whatever Ed and Tim are doing, and indeed most people on the list,
it comes up with their names when I use Correspondents.

And for me "From" actually works on this list. Go figure. I see "names" even for
this message of my own to which I am replying.

{o.o}

Tim via users wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 4 June 2018, Todd Zullinger sent:
>> I don't think there's much we can do about it on the list
>> side.
>
> If an email address didn't have a name portion, I would have used the
> email accountname immediately left of the @ sign.

Yeah, that might work, though I haven't looked at the
Mailman code (much) or thought about whether there are
downsides (none spring to mind and it's hard to see how
"None" is a better choice for the display name).

FWIW, that's a change which would need to be made to the
Mailman code, not something within the power of list admins.

Ideally someone will submit a patch upstream to improve the
DMARC mitigation code and the Fedora lists will pick it up
when it's released.  The mailman code is here:

    https://gitlab.com/mailman/

I believe the patch would be in the munged_headers()
function here:

    https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/blob/master/src/mailman/handlers/dmarc.py#L65-142

Short of a patch, filing an issue would be a good start
(assuming one hasn't already been filed -- a quick search
didn't turn one up).

--
Todd

On 06/05/18 09:30, jdow wrote:
> Hm, I see that does not always work when I use Reply-List. Ah well, it seems 'ix
> related lists work hard to screw up MUAs. It's almost funny. Every time something
> works it has to be changed to "something better" which breaks everything in its
> path. I think that's why 'ix remains a server world and not a user world. Whatever
> Ed and Tim are doing, and indeed most people on the list, it comes up with their
> names when I use Correspondents.
>
> And for me "From" actually works on this list. Go figure. I see "names" even for
> this message of my own to which I am replying.

99% of the messages display just fine.
Messages with headers like...

From: Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]> Cc: Danny Horne
<[hidden email]>

From or Correspondents display "Fedora" since, as noted in another person's post, I
have the "Fedora List" address
in my address book and I have "Show only display name for people in my address book"
checked.

I, personally, don't wish to un-check that preference to satisfy a mailing list.

On 20180604 18:42, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 06/05/18 09:30, jdow wrote:
>> Hm, I see that does not always work when I use Reply-List. Ah well, it seems 'ix
>> related lists work hard to screw up MUAs. It's almost funny. Every time something
>> works it has to be changed to "something better" which breaks everything in its
>> path. I think that's why 'ix remains a server world and not a user world. Whatever
>> Ed and Tim are doing, and indeed most people on the list, it comes up with their
>> names when I use Correspondents.
>>
>> And for me "From" actually works on this list. Go figure. I see "names" even for
>> this message of my own to which I am replying.
>

> 99% of the messages display just fine.
> Messages with headers like...
>
> From: Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]> Cc: Danny Horne
> <[hidden email]>
>
>  From or Correspondents display "Fedora" since, as noted in another person's post, I
> have the "Fedora List" address
> in my address book and I have "Show only display name for people in my address book"
> checked.
>
> I, personally, don't wish to un-check that preference to satisfy a mailing list.

Ah, I have that unchecked. What are the downsides to not having it checked?
Unchecked works very well with spam sorting. It takes me seconds to check my
sorted spam in the evening. (I have SpamAssassin rewriting the subject to
include the spam score. I sort on the subject. So the lowest scoring spams get a
quick look over for familiar names and reasonable subjects. Then it gets tossed
into a long term spam storage for retraining Bayes if that's needed. Er, I
learned long ago to mistrust automatic training.)

{^_^}

On 06/05/18 16:13, jdow wrote:

> On 20180604 18:42, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 06/05/18 09:30, jdow wrote:
>>> Hm, I see that does not always work when I use Reply-List. Ah well, it seems 'ix
>>> related lists work hard to screw up MUAs. It's almost funny. Every time something
>>> works it has to be changed to "something better" which breaks everything in its
>>> path. I think that's why 'ix remains a server world and not a user world. Whatever
>>> Ed and Tim are doing, and indeed most people on the list, it comes up with their
>>> names when I use Correspondents.
>>>
>>> And for me "From" actually works on this list. Go figure. I see "names" even for
>>> this message of my own to which I am replying.
>>

>> 99% of the messages display just fine.
>> Messages with headers like...
>>
>> From: Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]> Cc: Danny Horne
>> <[hidden email]>
>>
>>  From or Correspondents display "Fedora" since, as noted in another person's post, I
>> have the "Fedora List" address
>> in my address book and I have "Show only display name for people in my address book"
>> checked.
>>
>> I, personally, don't wish to un-check that preference to satisfy a mailing list.
>
> Ah, I have that unchecked. What are the downsides to not having it checked?
> Unchecked works very well with spam sorting. It takes me seconds to check my sorted
> spam in the evening. (I have SpamAssassin rewriting the subject to include the spam
> score. I sort on the subject. So the lowest scoring spams get a quick look over for
> familiar names and reasonable subjects. Then it gets tossed into a long term spam
> storage for retraining Bayes if that's needed. Er, I learned long ago to mistrust
> automatic training.)

I will admit that the downside is "my" problem.  The problem being I live in Taiwan
and have been working in Asia for many years.  So, I communicate with Chinese,
Taiwanese, and Koreans.  They have this habit of using their real names in their
emails 김병협, 楊秀茵, 石川, etc.  So, I have them in my address book with a "Display
Name" so I don't have to think so much.

Now, if that setting can be on a per-folder basis it would be OK.  But I don't think
it is....or maybe I've not looked hard enough.

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: OT: Annoying List Behavior....

Patrick Mansfield-3
On Mon, Jun 04, 2018 at 08:19:40PM -0400, None via users wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am the usr @ [hidden email].  The provider protonmail does this (none ).  I switched from yahoo.com over the other problems.  See the other threads.  I hope there are no more problems or complaints.

With the DMARC changes, your yahoo email address should now work.

I also switched from yahoo about a week before the change :-(

-- Patrick