OT - Inserting fields in Libreoffice forms

OT - Inserting fields in Libreoffice forms

P. Echols
Greetings,

I am hoping someone here might be able to point me in the correct direction.  I have a set of forms in which the same information appears several times.  Example, an name.  I'd like to set them up so that I can fill in the name in the form once, and then everywhere it is referenced in the form will have the same text.

I tried reading up on the "fields" function, but it isn't clear how to use it or if that is even the right way to do what I need.  Does anyone have any thoughts or a pointer to a relevant website?

thanks

Re: OT - Inserting fields in Libreoffice forms

Wade Smart
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 7:19 PM, P. Echols <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am hoping someone here might be able to point me in the correct direction.
> I have a set of forms in which the same information appears several times.
> Example, an name.  I'd like to set them up so that I can fill in the name in
> the form once, and then everywhere it is referenced in the form will have
> the same text.
>
> I tried reading up on the "fields" function, but it isn't clear how to use
> it or if that is even the right way to do what I need.  Does anyone have any
> thoughts or a pointer to a relevant website?
>
> thanks

A1 = your name
You want, say, C3 = equal your name also.

In C3 you put =A1.

Re: OT - Inserting fields in Libreoffice forms

Karl Auer
On Wed, 2015-12-09 at 17:19 -0800, P. Echols wrote:
> several times.  Example, an name.  I'd like to set them up so that I can
> fill in the name in the form once, and then everywhere it is referenced in
> the form will have the same text.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "form" but here is how you do it for
an ordinary document. Maybe it'll help you.

First, set up a user field:
 - Insert
   - Fields
     -Other...
      - click on "User field"
      - select a format for your field e.g. "Text"
      - enter a name for your field e.g. "Fred"
      - enter a value for your field e.g. "Twiddle"
      - click the green tick to apply
      - click "Close"

Now, wherever you want the value "Twiddle":
 - Insert
   - Fields
     - Other....
       - select "User field"
       - select "Fred"
       - click "Insert"

If you have lots of places where you want the same value you can leave
the dialogue open and move around your document, clicking "Insert" in
the dialogue as often as need be.

When you don't need the dialogue any more, click "Close".

Be aware that if you change the value or the format for the "Fred"
variable later on, all occurrences of that field in your document will
change. If the new value or the new format is not the same size as the
old value, the document will be reformatted to accommodate the new
value.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4
Old fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882

Re: OT - Inserting fields in Libreoffice forms

Joseph Loo-2
On 12/09/2015 05:39 PM, Karl Auer wrote:

> On Wed, 2015-12-09 at 17:19 -0800, P. Echols wrote:
>> several times.  Example, an name.  I'd like to set them up so that I can
>> fill in the name in the form once, and then everywhere it is referenced in
>> the form will have the same text.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean by "form" but here is how you do it for
> an ordinary document. Maybe it'll help you.
>
> First, set up a user field:
>  - Insert
>    - Fields
>      -Other...
>       - click on "User field"
>       - select a format for your field e.g. "Text"
>       - enter a name for your field e.g. "Fred"
>       - enter a value for your field e.g. "Twiddle"
>       - click the green tick to apply
>       - click "Close"
>
> Now, wherever you want the value "Twiddle":
>  - Insert
>    - Fields
>      - Other....
>        - select "User field"
>        - select "Fred"
>        - click "Insert"
>
> If you have lots of places where you want the same value you can leave
> the dialogue open and move around your document, clicking "Insert" in
> the dialogue as often as need be.
>
> When you don't need the dialogue any more, click "Close".
>
> Be aware that if you change the value or the format for the "Fred"
> variable later on, all occurrences of that field in your document will
> change. If the new value or the new format is not the same size as the
> old value, the document will be reformatted to accommodate the new
> value.
>
> Regards, K.

You can also use bookmarks.

--
Joseph Loo

On Wed, 2015-12-09 at 17:42 -0800, Joseph Loo wrote:
> You can also use bookmarks.

I don't understand. Could you provide more detail, please?

Thanks, K.

On 12/09/2015 06:19 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-12-09 at 17:42 -0800, Joseph Loo wrote:
>> You can also use bookmarks.
>
> I don't understand. Could you provide more detail, please?
>
> Thanks, K.

I is similar to fields but is more structured and allows you to move to
the originating location. see
https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Cross-references

--
Joseph Loo

On Dec 9, 2015 5:39 PM, "Karl Auer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2015-12-09 at 17:19 -0800, P. Echols wrote:
> > several times.  Example, an name.  I'd like to set them up so that I can
> > fill in the name in the form once, and then everywhere it is referenced in
> > the form will have the same text.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean by "form" but here is how you do it for
> an ordinary document. Maybe it'll help you.
>
> First, set up a user field:
>  - Insert
>    - Fields
>      -Other...
>       - click on "User field"
>       - select a format for your field e.g. "Text"
>       - enter a name for your field e.g. "Fred"
>       - enter a value for your field e.g. "Twiddle"
>       - click the green tick to apply
>       - click "Close"
>
> Now, wherever you want the value "Twiddle":
>  - Insert
>    - Fields
>      - Other....
>        - select "User field"
>        - select "Fred"
>        - click "Insert"
>
> If you have lots of places where you want the same value you can leave
> the dialogue open and move around your document, clicking "Insert" in
> the dialogue as often as need be.
>
> When you don't need the dialogue any more, click "Close".
>
> Be aware that if you change the value or the format for the "Fred"
> variable later on, all occurrences of that field in your document will
> change. If the new value or the new format is not the same size as the
> old value, the document will be reformatted to accommodate the new
> value.
>
> Regards, K.
>
> --
> ~

Thanks Karl. That's what I was looking for. I read the "help" in LO but it was too terse to make sense.