Plymouth graphical glitches when PSR is enabled

Plymouth graphical glitches when PSR is enabled

zfnoctis
Just a heads up that setting i915.enable_psr=1 causes my Dell Latitude 7490 (Intel UHD 620) to display graphical corruption *only* in Plymouth while entering in my drive's password. I understand that PSR is currently not supported on Fedora, however it looks like the Intel developers are planning to have it enabled by default next kernel release[1] for Skylake and newer.

I have to say, PSR seems to be otherwise fully baked, once I'm past LUKS there are no graphical issues at all.  I can reproduce this on drm-intel-next and mainline, but I'm not sure at this point if it's a problem with Plymouth or i915.

[1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2018-September/175255.html

Re: Plymouth graphical glitches when PSR is enabled

Michael Cronenworth
On 9/17/18 11:55 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Just a heads up that setting i915.enable_psr=1 causes my Dell Latitude 7490 (Intel UHD 620) to display graphical corruption*only*  in Plymouth while entering in my drive's password. I understand that PSR is currently not supported on Fedora, however it looks like the Intel developers are planning to have it enabled by default next kernel release[1] for Skylake and newer.

I recommend that you report this with upstream so they can fix it.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=DRI (DRM/intel)

> I have to say, PSR seems to be otherwise fully baked, once I'm past LUKS there are no graphical issues at all.  I can reproduce this on drm-intel-next and mainline, but I'm not sure at this point if it's a problem with Plymouth or i915.

I've had it enabled on my Haswell Iris graphics laptop for a few years without any
issues. Granted the same code paths are not followed as with your hardware, but it
is working perfectly in some use cases.