Power settings wrong or battery dying?

12

Power settings wrong or battery dying?

Fedora mailing list
Hi all,

I have a four year old laptop that's running Fedora 27 Workstation.  If
I leave the thing switched off and unplugged after a day it will need
recharging by varying degrees.

Have I missed something in the power settings or is my battery on it's
way out?

Thanks for looking

Re: Power settings wrong or battery dying?

Dave Stevens
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:41:50 +0100
Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a four year old laptop that's running Fedora 27 Workstation.
> If I leave the thing switched off and unplugged after a day it will
> need recharging by varying degrees.
>
> Have I missed something in the power settings or is my battery on it's
> way out?
>
> Thanks for looking

if you pop the battery out for a day does the same thing happen?

Re: Power settings wrong or battery dying?

Samuel Sieb
On 04/11/2018 09:41 AM, Danny Horne via users wrote:
> I have a four year old laptop that's running Fedora 27 Workstation.  If
> I leave the thing switched off and unplugged after a day it will need
> recharging by varying degrees.
>
> Have I missed something in the power settings or is my battery on it's
> way out?

If it's turned right off, then Fedora has nothing to do with it.  Check
in the BIOS if you have wake-on-lan or wake-on-wlan enabled or anything
else that might keep some hardware active.  Four years is getting old
for a laptop battery as well, so it could be that.  Is the recharging
amount related to the time spent unplugged?  I think some laptops turn
off charging when full until the battery goes down a certain amount as well.

On 11/04/18 17:48, Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:41:50 +0100
> Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> if you pop the battery out for a day does the same thing happen?

Just popped the battery, I'll report back in 24 hours
wwp

Re: Power settings wrong or battery dying?

wwp
Hello Danny,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:41:50 +0100 Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a four year old laptop that's running Fedora 27 Workstation.  If
> I leave the thing switched off and unplugged after a day it will need
> recharging by varying degrees.
>
> Have I missed something in the power settings or is my battery on it's
> way out?

Of course you don't have any USB device still plugged in and draining?
Some laptops are configured to keep some of the USB plugs powered even
if computer is switched off.

wwp

On 11/04/18 17:49, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> If it's turned right off, then Fedora has nothing to do with it.

That's the thing, I'm not sure if I've missed something in the power
settings and it's just going into standby or some other power saving mode

On 11/04/18 17:54, wwp wrote:
> Of course you don't have any USB device still plugged in and draining?
> Some laptops are configured to keep some of the USB plugs powered even
> if computer is switched off.
>

> Regards,

Nothing plugged in except (usually) the charger

On 04/11/2018 09:54 AM, Danny Horne via users wrote:
> On 11/04/18 17:49, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> If it's turned right off, then Fedora has nothing to do with it.
>
> That's the thing, I'm not sure if I've missed something in the power
> settings and it's just going into standby or some other power saving mode

Are all the lights off?  Did you just close the lid, or did you select
"Turn Off" from the menu?  If the latter, you should have had a black
screen with a Fedora label, then completely black.  When you start it
back up, do you still have the applications running that you had before
or do you have to start them again?  When you turn it back on, do you
have to click on your username or is it just asking for a password?
wwp

On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:54:51 +0100 Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/04/18 17:49, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> > If it's turned right off, then Fedora has nothing to do with it.
>
> That's the thing, I'm not sure if I've missed something in the power
> settings and it's just going into standby or some other power saving mode

What? Do you mean you're not sure if the laptop is in standby mode,
hibernating or switched off? Sleeping (standby) will eat battery
(usually w/ a LED indicator still up or flashing, but not always).
Hibernation and switch off won't (all leds off anyway).

wwp

On 11/04/18 18:03, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> On 04/11/2018 09:54 AM, Danny Horne via users wrote:
>> On 11/04/18 17:49, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>>> If it's turned right off, then Fedora has nothing to do with it.
>>
>> That's the thing, I'm not sure if I've missed something in the power
>> settings and it's just going into standby or some other power saving
>> mode
>
> Are all the lights off?  Did you just close the lid, or did you select
> "Turn Off" from the menu?  If the latter, you should have had a black
> screen with a Fedora label, then completely black.  When you start it
> back up, do you still have the applications running that you had
> before or do you have to start them again?  When you turn it back on,
> do you have to click on your username or is it just asking for a
> password?

Re: Power settings wrong or battery dying?

Dave Stevens
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 18:12:04 +0100
Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From comments received so far it's looking like a battery replacement.

why not do the test first and spend the money later?

On 11/04/18 18:26, Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 18:12:04 +0100
> Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> From comments received so far it's looking like a battery replacement.
> why not do the test first and spend the money later?

Re: Power settings wrong or battery dying?

fred smith
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 05:41:50PM +0100, Danny Horne via users wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a four year old laptop that's running Fedora 27 Workstation.  If
> I leave the thing switched off and unplugged after a day it will need
> recharging by varying degrees.
>
> Have I missed something in the power settings or is my battery on it's
> way out?
>
> Thanks for looking

There should be a battery-monitor applet somewhere. I am not running
Gnome, so I don't know where it hides the battery applet, but on
Mate its right there on the upper toolbar. In my case I can right-
click on it and one of the options there (sorry, I'm not at the laptop
right now, so this is kinda vague) one of the options there will show
you some battery stats. It will include things such as the full capacity
of the battery (when new), current capacity, current charge, and a lot
of other things. The names of those items are a bit cryptic, but it is
possible to figure them out with a little thinking.

So, if the new capacity was (say) 78, and current capacity is (say) 15,
then you know your battery is pretty much useless.

My laptop's battery (3rd-party replacement, now 3 or so years old)
still shows current max capacity at around 2/3 (or maybe 5/8) of the
new capacity, so though I miss the longer lifetime, it is still useful.

One thought, get out of the habit of leaving it plugged in all the
time, that eats lithium batteries, i.e., wears them down faster than
charging when needed.

alternatives are:
1. run on battery, plug in when discharged
2. remove battery when working at a stationary location (some laptops
are sealed and you can't do this), charge it then remove it, put it back
in when mobile.
--
---- Fred Smith -- [hidden email] -----------------------------

Re: Power settings wrong or battery dying?

Matthew Miller-2
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 03:10:53PM -0400, Fred Smith wrote:
> There should be a battery-monitor applet somewhere. I am not running
> Gnome, so I don't know where it hides the battery applet, but on
> Mate its right there on the upper toolbar. In my case I can right-

Actually, the battery applet in GNOME doesn't show detailed
information. However, there is GNOME Power Statistics -- install it
from Software, of course -- which both shows detailed information and
can track usage and provide deeper info.

--
Matthew Miller
<[hidden email]>

On 11/04/18 17:52, Danny Horne via users wrote:

> On 11/04/18 17:48, Dave Stevens wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:41:50 +0100
>> Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> if you pop the battery out for a day does the same thing happen?

> Just popped the battery, I'll report back in 24 hours

Re: Power settings wrong or battery dying?

Robbi Nespu
How much of battery capacity percent you have right now?
Try to check with this:

$ upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0| grep
--color=NEVER -E "present|state|to\ full|percentage|capacity|time\ to
empty|time\ to full|technology"

paste down here, it would be interesting to take a look

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Danny Horne via users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/04/18 17:52, Danny Horne via users wrote:
>> On 11/04/18 17:48, Dave Stevens wrote:
>>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:41:50 +0100
>>> Danny Horne via users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> if you pop the battery out for a day does the same thing happen?

>> Just popped the battery, I'll report back in 24 hours

Best Regards,
RN

Re: Power settings wrong or battery dying?

Joe Zeff
On 04/12/2018 12:57 AM, Danny Horne via users wrote:
> Well the battery has been out for about 15 hours and the laptop claims
> it's fully charged, but also says it has less than an hour to run

It's also possible that a capacitor or resistor in that circuit has
changed its value slightly.  I have an old laptop that stopped admitting
that the battery was ever fully charged, and a friend of mine who knows
hardware told me that this was the most likely reason.

On 12/04/18 09:18, Robbi Nespu wrote:

> How much of battery capacity percent you have right now?
> Try to check with this:
>
> $ upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0| grep
> --color=NEVER -E "present|state|to\ full|percentage|capacity|time\ to
> empty|time\ to full|technology"
>
> paste down here, it would be interesting to take a look

First reading, plugged in, fully charged.  Second reading, on battery
power.  If I'm reading it right the battery has lost capacity over it's
lifetime.

present:             yes
state:                 fully-charged
percentage:       100%
capacity:            45.6019%
technology:        lithium-ion

present:             yes
state:                 discharging
percentage:       99%
capacity:            45.6019%
technology:        lithium-ion

Re: Power settings wrong or battery dying?

Robbi Nespu

Well, I could be you battery is dying. This is mine output which has
time to empty and my battery capacity are going down also (last time I
check, it was more than 60%.

present:             yes
state:               discharging
time to empty:       2.0 hours
percentage:          90%
capacity:            54.4318%
technology:          lithium-ion

You might want to check /etc/UPower/UPower.conf file. Either using
UsePercentageForPolicy=true or UsePercentageForPolicy=false

I once wrote a note about this to myself about this
https://robbinespu.github.io/eng/2018/03/16/Setting_power_management_when_low_battery_on_Fedora.html

p/s : My laptop are 6 years old.

On 12/04/18 12:51, Robbi Nespu wrote:

> Well, I could be you battery is dying. This is mine output which has
> time to empty and my battery capacity are going down also (last time I
> check, it was more than 60%.
>
> present:             yes
> state:               discharging
> time to empty:       2.0 hours
> percentage:          90%
> capacity:            54.4318%
> technology:          lithium-ion

Here's mine shortly after unplugging power after full recharge, not
looking good for the battery :)

present:             yes
state:               discharging
time to empty:       1.2 hours