Re: [CentOS] time foo

John R Pierce
On 12/1/2017 11:32 AM, hw wrote:

> So this would mean that the database (running on a different server)
> takes
> almost two times as much as foo --- which I would consider kinda
> excruciatingly
> long because it´s merely inserting rows into two different tables
> after they were
> prepared by foo and then processes some queries to convert the data.
> The queries after importing may take like 3 or 5 minutes.  About 4.5
> million rows
> are being imported.

so you're missing about 25 minutes, and maybe 5 minutes is spent post
processing, so thats 20 minutes spent in the data insertion?

inserting one row at a time?  or in batches?    remeber a database
server is going to do commits after each transaction, which forces the
data to be flushed to disk.   4.5 million seperate row transactions,
yeah, I could see that taking some time, plus add that many network
round trips, etcetc.   if the db server just has a single SATA disk,
you're doing 9 million committed writes combined to the two tables?
20 minutes for 9 million inserts, thats 7500 per second.