Re: compile freebsd on ubuntu

Thomas Mueller-6
from <[hidden email]>:

> Dear friend:

>   I  am compiling the freebsd kernal on ubuntu with this command :

>   sudo bmake -j1 buildworld KERNCONF=MODEDKERNEL COMPILER_TYPE=gcc TARGET=amd64 TARGET_ARCH=amd64

>   beacuse make cannot work so i use the bmake but it take the error that:

>       rpcgen: execvp cpp: No such file or directory *** [key_prot.h] Error code 1

>   how can i fix this error

>   i download the system code from the github, and compile it on the workpalce.

>   the full log is that:

If you download the src tree, or src and xsrc trees, for NetBSD, there are directions of how to cross-compile NetBSD from other (quasi-)Unixes.

NetBSD now uses cvs but has been moving slowly to switch to mercurial (hg) for downloading src, xsrc and pkgsrc trees.

NetBSD has tools and documentation on how to cross-compile NetBSD userland and kernel.

There is a build.sh in the src directory that is recommended instead of using make directly.

FreeBSD has not developed this infrastructure for cross-compiling, though there has been some talk about producing such an infrastructure.

My question would be the other way around, how to cross-compile Linux from FreeBSD or NetBSD.

This would not be a full-fledged Ubuntu or other fancy distro, but more comparable to FreeBSD or NetBSD base system.

Tom

Re: compile freebsd on ubuntu

Thomas Mueller-6
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 02:39:43 +0000
> "Thomas Mueller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > My question would be the other way around, how to cross-compile Linux
> > from FreeBSD or NetBSD.

> > This would not be a full-fledged Ubuntu or other fancy distro, but more
> > comparable to FreeBSD or NetBSD base system.

>         I'd be inclined to use a jail with a Linux userland in it, they
> work well - I have one running CUPS so that I can use the Brother binary
> drivers without losing my sanity (I tried to install them in FreeBSD CUPS
> once!).

> --
> Steve O'Hara-Smith <[hidden email]>

I don't have the Linux userland yet, have parts, still need to build gcc and the Linux kernel.

With FreeBSD's and NetBSD's Linux emulations, maybe I could temporarily get by even without the Linux kernel.

I know what you mean by printing difficulties in FreeBSD.

My experience with HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf MFP is such that I don't want to buy another HP product ever again.

Big problem was the need for a proprietary binary plugin needed for full functionality.  It was never able to download.

Tom