Re: print usb printer by [ Google Cloud Print for Chromium ]

Re: print usb printer by [ Google Cloud Print for Chromium ]

Tuyosi Takesima
hi all .

i at last find i can  print if i use the printer which has both cups driver
and wifi interface (for example EP-709A).
so
i do not need to use [ Google Cloud Print for Chromium ] .

and
i think it is impossible to print USB only printers .

at this sate openbsd become everyday OS .
---
regards

Re: print usb printer by [ Google Cloud Print for Chromium ]

Jordan Geoghegan

On 05/15/18 13:04, Tuyosi T wrote:
> i think it is impossible to print USB only printers .

I have successfully printed to several USB based printers in my time
with OpenBSD, ranging from USB thermal receipt printers, USB restaurant
dot matrix kitchen printers all the way up to your modern day consumer
throw away HP printer.

I also have had great success utilizing DB9/DB25 serial line printers
with OpenBSD.

With a bit of playing around with lpd(8) and your printcap(5) file, you
can do some neat things and avoid having to remove the ulpt(4) driver
from the kernel while still making the printer fully usable and
available to CUPS and over the network.

Re: print usb printer by [ Google Cloud Print for Chromium ]

IL Ka
Hello Jordan,
>> you can do some neat things and avoid having to remove the ulpt(4)
driver from the kernel

What can be the reason to remove it?

If I understand it correctly, this driver provides support for "USB printer
class"
( http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/devclass_docs/usbprint11a021811.pdf )

It creates some kind of "channel" (like LPT port) which can be used to
query printer status,
obtain its ID etc.
Application then sends plaintext or PCL or PostScript or whatever printer
supports to this "channel".

Sysadmin configures "printcap" by adding filters that convert data to PCL
or postscript, and
lpd creates "pool", while CUPS ties all layers providing IP Printing and
other protocols to submit print jobs.

Obsd does not have FAQ about that, but freebsd has pretty good article:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/printing.html
And almost everything covered by it is true for openbsd.

On 05/15/18 18:19, IL Ka wrote:
> Hello Jordan,
> >> you can do some neat things and avoid having to remove the ulpt(4)
> driver from the kernel
>
> What can be the reason to remove it?
Some people remove the ulpt driver to allow CUPS to interface easier
with their printer. This solution has always irritated me, and I prefer
using lpd to manage my printers. CUPS can still be used to print to an
lpd based print server, the only difference is that CUPS isn't handling
the spooling and network print jobs etc server-side.
> Obsd does not have FAQ about that, but freebsd has pretty good
> article: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/printing.html
> And almost everything covered by it is true for openbsd.
This here is a good place to start: https://man.openbsd.org/lpd.8

No FAQ for printing, but the man pages are your friend. Many moons ago,
I as complete rookie at Unix printing, managed to set up my friends
restaurant using an OpenBSD lpd print server to drive all of his receipt
and kitchen print jobs. I managed to pull this off using only the man
pages. The OpenBSD man pages are a treasure trove of knowledge-- don't
always depend on the FAQ's entirely! The FAQ serves to supplement the
man pages, not replace them.

Re: print usb printer by [ Google Cloud Print for Chromium ]

Tuyosi Takesima
hi
i can not distinguish between lp and lpr .

anyway
/etc/printcap
709a-wifi|709a-wifi:rm=bsd.my.domain:rp=709a-wifi:

and
the setting of print on leafpad  is 'lp -d709a-wifi ' .
it goes well .
--------
regards

ps my /etc/cups/cupsd.conf is
LogLevel warn
PageLogFormat
Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
Browsing On
BrowseLocalProtocols dnssd
DefaultAuthType Basic
WebInterface Yes
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin/log>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Policy default>
  JobPrivateAccess default
  JobPrivateValues default
  SubscriptionPrivateAccess default
  SubscriptionPrivateValues default
  <Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI Validate-Job>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs
Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job
Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job Cancel-My-Jobs Close-Job CUPS-Move-Job
CUPS-Get-Document>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class
CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer
Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs
Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer
Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After Cancel-Jobs CUPS-Accept-Jobs
CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
</Policy>
<Policy authenticated>
[...]
<Policy kerberos>
  JobPrivateAccess default
  JobPrivateValues default
  SubscriptionPrivateAccess default
  SubscriptionPrivateValues default
  <Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI Validate-Job>
    AuthType Negotiate
  </Limit>
</Policy>

On 05/16/18 00:27, Tuyosi T wrote:
> hi
> i can not distinguish between lp and lpr .

lpr(1) is a program used to print to an lpd server, wheras lp(4) is a
driver that doesn't appear to have been ported from 4.4BSD yet.

https://man.openbsd.org/lpr.1

https://man.openbsd.org/NetBSD-7.1/lp.4

Re: print usb printer by [ Google Cloud Print for Chromium ]

Erling Westenvik
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:45:12AM -0700, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:
> On 05/16/18 00:27, Tuyosi T wrote:
> > hi
> > i can not distinguish between lp and lpr .
> >
> lpr(1) is a program used to print to an lpd server, wheras lp(4) is a driver
> that doesn't appear to have been ported from 4.4BSD yet.

lp(1) gets installed as part of cups(1).

On 05/16/18 01:10, Erling Westenvik wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:45:12AM -0700, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:
>> On 05/16/18 00:27, Tuyosi T wrote:
>>> hi
>>> i can not distinguish between lp and lpr .
>>>
>> lpr(1) is a program used to print to an lpd server, wheras lp(4) is a driver
>> that doesn't appear to have been ported from 4.4BSD yet.
> lp(1) gets installed as part of cups(1).

Thanks for the clarification on lp. I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes
to the software I run. If it ain't in base, I try to avoid having to run
it.

I got what I deserved:

https://www.cups.org/doc/man-lp.html