Right Click run exe with Wine

Ubuntu mailing list
Hi All

Having a problem, I have installed Wine (on Bionic) and can run the program I
intended to, via Launcher, with no problem

BUT if I right click any *.exe file (including those in Wine's defaulty C_Drive
structure) I don't get the "Run with wine option" it defaults to Achive
Manager, and "open with other app" does not show Wine as a choice

I can run from terminal with Wine [path to exe file]

Any pointers please, not tried to reinstall Wine (yet)

Is there a file somewhere that contains the list of App = Filetype pairs that I
can check (Ubuntu version of windows registry "open with" lists) or one that
holds the list of all apps (here seems to have many duplicates of same app)

Re: Right Click run exe with Wine

Colin Law-2
On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 12:55, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All

Having a problem, I have installed Wine (on Bionic) and can run the program I
intended to, via Launcher, with no problem

BUT if I right click any *.exe file (including those in Wine's defaulty C_Drive
structure) I don't get the "Run with wine option" it defaults to Achive
Manager, and "open with other app" does not show Wine as a choice

I think this should work with Wine, it is the normal technique to tell the system what to open files with.
Right click on an exe file and select Properties and then the Open With tab.  Select Wine from the list of apps (hopefully it will be there) and then click the Set as default button.

Colin

Re: Right Click run exe with Wine

Ubuntu mailing list
09 January 2019  at 20:37, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Right Click run exe with Wine (at least in part)

>On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 12:55, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <
>[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks

>> Having a problem, I have installed Wine (on Bionic) and can run the program
>> I intended to, via Launcher, with no problem

>> BUT if I right click any *.exe file (including those in Wine's defaulty
>> C_Drive structure) I don't get the "Run with wine option" it defaults to Achive
>> Manager, and "open with other app" does not show Wine as a choice

>I think this should work with Wine, it is the normal technique to tell the
>system what to open files with.

>Right click on an exe file and select Properties and then the Open With
>tab.  Select Wine from the list of apps (hopefully it will be there) and
>then click the Set as default button.

That is the problem Wine is not there, Bionic "Knows" the file is a Win/DOS exe
but that's it

>Colin

Re: Right Click run exe with Wine

Colin Law-2
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 07:42, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That is the problem Wine is not there, Bionic "Knows" the file is a Win/DOS exe
> but that's it

Yes, I see you are right.  OK, we have to it the hard way then.
Create a file called wine.desktop in the folder
.local/share/applications and in there put

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Wine
Comment=Run Windows Applications
Exec=wine
Terminal=false
Icon=wine
Type=Application
Categories=Utility;
NoDisplay=true

In that same folder should be a file mimeapps.list.  If it already has
a section [Default Applications] in it then add to the end of that
section
application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop
If the file is empty (as it may well be) then put in there
[Default Applications]
application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop

Now wine should be the default app for .exe files.

Colin

10 January 2019  at 14:09, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Right Click run exe with Wine (at least in part)

>Yes, I see you are right.  OK, we have to it the hard way then.

Seems the easy(er) way, more used to getting my hands dirty inside than relying
on the GUI

>Create a file called wine.desktop in the folder
>.local/share/applications and in there put

>[Desktop Entry]
>Name=Wine
>Comment=Run Windows Applications
>Exec=wine
>Terminal=false
>Icon=wine
>Type=Application
>Categories=Utility;
>NoDisplay=true

>In that same folder should be a file mimeapps.list.  If it already has
>a section [Default Applications] in it then add to the end of that
>section
>application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop
>If the file is empty (as it may well be) then put in there
>[Default Applications]
>application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop

>Now wine should be the default app for .exe files.

I'll have a play later, will that also add a (pointless) entry to the launcher?

Re: Right Click run exe with Wine

Colin Law-2
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 16:41, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 10 January 2019  at 14:09, Colin Law wrote:
> Re: Right Click run exe with Wine (at least in part)
>
> >Yes, I see you are right.  OK, we have to it the hard way then.
>
> Seems the easy(er) way, more used to getting my hands dirty inside than relying
> on the GUI
>
> >Create a file called wine.desktop in the folder
> >.local/share/applications and in there put
>
> >[Desktop Entry]
> >Name=Wine
> >Comment=Run Windows Applications
> >Exec=wine
> >Terminal=false
> >Icon=wine
> >Type=Application
> >Categories=Utility;
> >NoDisplay=true
>
> >In that same folder should be a file mimeapps.list.  If it already has
> >a section [Default Applications] in it then add to the end of that
> >section
> >application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop
> >If the file is empty (as it may well be) then put in there
> >[Default Applications]
> >application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop
>
> >Now wine should be the default app for .exe files.
>
> I'll have a play later, will that also add a (pointless) entry to the launcher?

It won't automatically add it to the launcher.  It may make it
available via the Super key, not sure.

Colin

10 January 2019  at 16:46, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Right Click run exe with Wine (at least in part)

>> >Create a file called wine.desktop in the folder .local/share/applications

Done (made executable at second try)

>> >In that same folder should be a file mimeapps.list

Only place that file exsists here is in .config (full of vlc file types) so I
made it in .local/share/applications

Re: Right Click run exe with Wine

Colin Law-2
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 19:56, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 10 January 2019  at 16:46, Colin Law wrote:
> Re: Right Click run exe with Wine (at least in part)

> Done (made executable at second try)

That is interesting, I half expected to have to make it executable,
but didn't.  Presumably it didn't work until you did that.

10 January 2019  at 20:38, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Right Click run exe with Wine (at least in part)

>> Done (made executable at second try)

>That is interesting, I half expected to have to make it executable,
>but didn't.  Presumably it didn't work until you did that.

No it didn't