Screen Res problem in 16.04

Bill Vance-2

Ok, I'm checking out the try it and see portion of a
16.04 install DVD.  When I get to the screen resolution
portion of os the System Settings, the choice of
available resolutions is completely unsatisfactory.
There are _only_ two, 720X400, and 1920X1080.  I have
to use a _LARGE_ magnifying glass just to see these
numbers, and clicking on either doesn't change the
resolution, at all.

How do I get this to work, and with the entire
spectrum of resolutions to pick, and choose from,
so I can get something decent to work with?

Bill

Re: Screen Res problem in 16.04

Clay Weber-2
On Fri, January 19, 2018 11:20 am, Bill Vance wrote:

> Ok, I'm checking out the try it and see portion of a
> 16.04 install DVD.  When I get to the screen resolution
> portion of os the System Settings, the choice of available resolutions is
> completely unsatisfactory. There are _only_ two, 720X400, and 1920X1080.
> I have
> to use a _LARGE_ magnifying glass just to see these numbers, and clicking
> on either doesn't change the resolution, at all.
>
> How do I get this to work, and with the entire
> spectrum of resolutions to pick, and choose from, so I can get something
> decent to work with?
>
> Bill

What resolution are you expecting?
What gpu is this, and what monitor or system is it?
In the live session, only the free drivers are available, so it is
possible that only the screen's native resolution is available, or it
can't properly detect the screen's resolution options.

Now, if you were to install 16.04, on higher res monitors and TVs, the
1920x1080 is the best resolution, but of course the ui and fonts will all
be tiny. To get better size, you don't change the resolution, you change
settings for font dpi and screen scaling, as described in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kz2E5Xy5tw
Unfortunately, these changes do require a logout for them  to take effect,
which is problematic on a live session :)

Clay Weber

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018, Clay Weber wrote:

> On Fri, January 19, 2018 11:20 am, Bill Vance wrote:
>>

>> Ok, I'm checking out the try it and see portion of a
>> 16.04 install DVD.  When I get to the screen resolution
>> portion of os the System Settings, the choice of available resolutions is
>> completely unsatisfactory. There are _only_ two, 720X400, and 1920X1080.
>> I have
>> to use a _LARGE_ magnifying glass just to see these numbers, and clicking
>> on either doesn't change the resolution, at all.
>>
>> How do I get this to work, and with the entire
>> spectrum of resolutions to pick, and choose from, so I can get something
>> decent to work with?
>>
>> Bill
>>

> What resolution are you expecting?
> What gpu is this, and what monitor or system is it?
> In the live session, only the free drivers are available, so it is
> possible that only the screen's native resolution is available, or it
> can't properly detect the screen's resolution options.
>
> Now, if you were to install 16.04, on higher res monitors and TVs, the
> 1920x1080 is the best resolution, but of course the ui and fonts will all
> be tiny. To get better size, you don't change the resolution, you change
> settings for font dpi and screen scaling, as described in this video:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kz2E5Xy5tw
> Unfortunately, these changes do require a logout for them  to take effect,
> which is problematic on a live session :)
>
> Clay Weber

Gpu?  The monitor us a hanns-g, and measures apx. 21"X11".

According to system settings, I'm using 1920X1080, auto
refresh, but available screen space is huge compared to
what is physically available, which leaves me _lots_ of
room for multi-windows worth of stuff.  That's 6 terminal/
program windows per workspace, 3 across, 2 vertical, 8
workspaces.  Each terminal fills the physical screen, and I
navigate between it, and the other 5 by moving the mouse
around. I like a system with _lots_ of room for multiple
projects.

This is, of course, _NOT_ what I'm seeing with the live
session.  Any guess as to What scaling/dpi might be good
to start with?

Bill

Re: Screen Res problem in 16.04

Bill Vance-2

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018, Clay Weber wrote:

[Snip]

> Now, if you were to install 16.04, on higher res monitors and TVs, the
> 1920x1080 is the best resolution, but of course the ui and fonts will all
> be tiny. To get better size, you don't change the resolution, you change
> settings for font dpi and screen scaling, as described in this video:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kz2E5Xy5tw
> Unfortunately, these changes do require a logout for them  to take effect,
> which is problematic on a live session :)

I checked out the video, and the tool bar trick works.  The
other two items, (in System Settings), do not exist in the
live session.  Are they both there after install, or like
one of them, requiring update-upgrade before they are both
fully there, and functional, or what?  I'm working a 16.04.2
disk here, as I couldn't seem to find a working .3 disk,
something allways happened in between there, and here.

Bill