Setting console font from terminal fails ("cannot open font file")

Setting console font from terminal fails ("cannot open font file")

Kevin Wilson
Hello all,
I want to enlarge the fonts I am using in terminal (when logging as
non root) on Fedora 28.
I installed the terminus-fonts rpm on fedora 28 (dnf install terminus-fonts)

When I try from a terminal (I mean not gnome-terminal, but the
terminal you get into when logging in
without GUI/X windows)
setfont ter-132b
I get
"cannot open font file"

I tried
cp /usr/share/fonts/terminus/ter-132b.pcf.gz /lib/kbd/consolefonts/
and running again the same setfont command, still it fails.
I am usign GNOME, not KDE (not sure it matters in this case).

Any ideas ?
Regards,
Kevin

Re: Setting console font from terminal fails ("cannot open font file")

Rami Rosen
Hi Kevin,
This should work after:
dnf install terminus-fonts-console -y

Regards,
Rami Rosen
http://ramirose.wixsite.com/ramirosen
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 at 09:50, Kevin Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I want to enlarge the fonts I am using in terminal (when logging as
> non root) on Fedora 28.
> I installed the terminus-fonts rpm on fedora 28 (dnf install terminus-fonts)
>
> When I try from a terminal (I mean not gnome-terminal, but the
> terminal you get into when logging in
> without GUI/X windows)
> setfont ter-132b
> I get
> "cannot open font file"
>
> I tried
> cp /usr/share/fonts/terminus/ter-132b.pcf.gz /lib/kbd/consolefonts/
> and running again the same setfont command, still it fails.
> I am usign GNOME, not KDE (not sure it matters in this case).
>
> Any ideas ?
> Regards,
> Kevin

Re: Setting console font from terminal fails ("cannot open font file")

stan-3
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 09:50:11 +0300
Kevin Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I want to enlarge the fonts I am using in terminal (when logging as
> non root) on Fedora 28.
> I installed the terminus-fonts rpm on fedora 28 (dnf install
> terminus-fonts)
>
> When I try from a terminal (I mean not gnome-terminal, but the
> terminal you get into when logging in
> without GUI/X windows)
> setfont ter-132b
> I get
> "cannot open font file"
>
> I tried
> cp /usr/share/fonts/terminus/ter-132b.pcf.gz /lib/kbd/consolefonts/
> and running again the same setfont command, still it fails.
> I am usign GNOME, not KDE (not sure it matters in this case).
>
> Any ideas ?

There is a terminus-fonts-console package.  Do you have that installed?
I see /lib/kbd/consolefonts/ter-132b.psf.gz in that package.