Status of X i386 openbsd 6.2 on x200

Flipchan
Hello all,

I have tried to installed 6.1 and 6.2 on a thinkpad x200 it works but X does work ...

Its works great with 6.0 but then i dont get the good 6.2 packages and features such as syspatch.

It seems lika well known problem:
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&m=150506076421862&w=2

Does anyone know the status of this/ if anyone is working on this ?

Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev

Re: Status of X i386 openbsd 6.2 on x200

Dumitru Moldovan
On 04/02/18 00:41, flipchan wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have tried to installed 6.1 and 6.2 on a thinkpad x200 it works but X does work ...
>
> Its works great with 6.0 but then i dont get the good 6.2 packages and features such as syspatch.
>

> It seems lika well known problem:
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&m=150506076421862&w=2

According to Wikipedia, X200 uses a Penryn Core 2 Duo.  Have you tried
an amd64 image?  That would be better suited to this machine.  I have a
similar HP notebook from the same era, running 6.3beta with only minor
issues (no two finger scrolling for the touchpad and an 80x25 console).

Also running i386 on an old Atom, with absolutely no hardware issues,
for what it's worth…

Re: Status of X i386 openbsd 6.2 on x200

Christophe Simon
I can confirm that amd64 runs perfectly on the X200.

I have an X200s, and both 6.2 -stable and 6.3 -current ran X without issue.

Le 2 avril 2018 10:19:55 GMT+02:00, "Dumitru Mișu Moldovan" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>On 04/02/18 00:41, flipchan wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have tried to installed 6.1 and 6.2 on a thinkpad x200 it works but
>X does work ...
>>
>> Its works great with 6.0 but then i dont get the good 6.2 packages
>and features such as syspatch.
>>

>> It seems lika well known problem:
>> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&m=150506076421862&w=2
>
>According to Wikipedia, X200 uses a Penryn Core 2 Duo.  Have you tried
>an amd64 image?  That would be better suited to this machine.  I have a
>similar HP notebook from the same era, running 6.3beta with only minor
>issues (no two finger scrolling for the touchpad and an 80x25 console).
>
>Also running i386 on an old Atom, with absolutely no hardware issues,
>for what it's worth…

Re: Status of X i386 openbsd 6.2 on x200

oneroi.org.uk
On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 11:11:44 +0200
Christophe Simon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can confirm that amd64 runs perfectly on the X200.
>
> I have an X200s, and both 6.2 -stable and 6.3 -current ran X without issue.

Agreed - no problems for me either.

Re: Status of X i386 openbsd 6.2 on x200

Markus Lude
On Sun, Apr 01, 2018 at 09:41:07PM +0000, flipchan wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have tried to installed 6.1 and 6.2 on a thinkpad x200 it works but X does work ...
>
> Its works great with 6.0 but then i dont get the good 6.2 packages and features such as syspatch.
>

> It seems lika well known problem:
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&m=150506076421862&w=2
>

> Does anyone know the status of this/ if anyone is working on this ?

The problem still exists. The drm diff back then was quite huge and I am
unable to break it down in smaller chunks to see where the cause therein
is.
The T61 is quite old and still runs with 6.1.
It is new for me that newer Thinkpads do have the same problem. Could
you please post a trace of your crash?

Regards,
Markus

Re: Status of X i386 openbsd 6.2 on x200

Flipchan
The amd64 fs file for 6.2 is working good i know got it running with libreboot which is cool, libreboot doesnt support full disk encryption  which sucks but i am glad that it works .

Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev

Re: Status of X i386 openbsd 6.2 on x200

Jordan Geoghegan
What is it that prevents full disk encryption? I have been wanting a
libreboot machine for travel, but Full disk encryption is more important
that a clean bios when travelling.

Thanks for your time,

Jordan

On 04/04/18 15:23, flipchan wrote:

> The amd64 fs file for 6.2 is working good i know got it running with libreboot which is cool, libreboot doesnt support full disk encryption  which sucks but i am glad that it works .
>
> On April 2, 2018 7:26:58 PM UTC, Markus Lude <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 01, 2018 at 09:41:07PM +0000, flipchan wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have tried to installed 6.1 and 6.2 on a thinkpad x200 it works but
>> X does work ...
>>> Its works great with 6.0 but then i dont get the good 6.2 packages
>> and features such as syspatch.
>>>
>>> It seems lika well known problem:
>>> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&m=150506076421862&w=2
>>>

>>> Does anyone know the status of this/ if anyone is working on this ?
>> The problem still exists. The drm diff back then was quite huge and I
>> am
>> unable to break it down in smaller chunks to see where the cause
>> therein
>> is.
>> The T61 is quite old and still runs with 6.1.
>> It is new for me that newer Thinkpads do have the same problem. Could
>> you please post a trace of your crash?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Markus

Re: Status of X i386 openbsd 6.2 on x200

Flipchan
It works when installing but it wont boot

On their website it says: "
Installing OpenBSD with full disk encryption

Not working. You can modify the above procedure (installation w/o encryption) to install OpenBSD using full disk encryption, and it appears to work, except that it’s not yet clear how to actually boot an OpenBSD+FDE installation using libreboot+Grub2. If you get it working, please let us know."

Site: https://libreboot.org/docs/bsd/openbsd.html

On April 5, 2018 4:39:56 PM UTC, Jordan Geoghegan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>What is it that prevents full disk encryption? I have been wanting a
>libreboot machine for travel, but Full disk encryption is more
>important
>that a clean bios when travelling.
>
>Thanks for your time,
>
>Jordan
>

>On 04/04/18 15:23, flipchan wrote:
>> The amd64 fs file for 6.2 is working good i know got it running with
>libreboot which is cool, libreboot doesnt support full disk encryption
>which sucks but i am glad that it works .
>>
>> On April 2, 2018 7:26:58 PM UTC, Markus Lude <[hidden email]>
>wrote:

>but
>>> X does work ...
>>> and features such as syspatch.

>>> The problem still exists. The drm diff back then was quite huge and
>>> am
>>> unable to break it down in smaller chunks to see where the cause
>>> therein
>>> is.
>>> The T61 is quite old and still runs with 6.1.
>>> It is new for me that newer Thinkpads do have the same problem.
>Could
>>> you please post a trace of your crash?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Markus

On Mon, Apr 02, 2018 at 09:26:58PM +0200, Markus Lude wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 01, 2018 at 09:41:07PM +0000, flipchan wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have tried to installed 6.1 and 6.2 on a thinkpad x200 it works but X does work ...
> >
> > Its works great with 6.0 but then i dont get the good 6.2 packages and features such as syspatch.
> >

> > It seems lika well known problem:
> > https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&m=150506076421862&w=2
> >

> > Does anyone know the status of this/ if anyone is working on this ?
>
> The problem still exists. The drm diff back then was quite huge and I am
> unable to break it down in smaller chunks to see where the cause therein
> is.
> The T61 is quite old and still runs with 6.1.
> It is new for me that newer Thinkpads do have the same problem. Could
> you please post a trace of your crash?

I now moved from i386 to amd64 on the T61. I didn't saw the drm related
crash since then. Upgrade through 6.2 to 6.3 worked.

Regards,
Markus